Home
Posted By: duke61 Bob Milek - 08/28/23
I use to enjoy reading Bob's writeups, I still have some old magazines I saved from the 80's that have his articles but recently was looking for more written by him and can't find any, does anyone here have any they can post? Has he ever written a book? Thanks
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bob Milek - 08/28/23
I enjoyed his writings too.His Son Bob Jr. also wrote for a short time too.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/ga-retrospective-honoring-legendary-gunwriter-bob-milek/249616

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_practical_precision_reloading_102710/99822
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: Bob Milek - 08/28/23
I can check when I get home tonight. I have a bunch of magazine articles from the 80s and early 90s I used to cut out and save. Milek was one of my favorites!
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Bob Milek - 08/28/23
I always enjoyed his writings. His articles would be the first I’d read.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Bob Milek - 08/28/23
Reading his articles always made me want a .25-06. He seemed to be a huge fan of the cartridge and used it for a lot of western game including elk. I never scratched that itch for some reason or another.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Other writers held him in high regard. Said he could be really buzzed & still outshoot the whole crowd.

I've never been much of a contender fan which he seemed to write about a lot but still always read his stuff.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Got to know Bob some, and he knew his stuff about what worked.

Got to know Bob Jr. far better, who is also a good guy and knows his stuff. But somehow his writing didn't grab people like his dad's....
Posted By: 41rem Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Always loved his oversized shooting glasses. And the Thermopolis WY byline.

That would be Thermopolis, WY....

(Realize it was just a typo.)
Posted By: 41rem Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That would be Thermopolis, WY....

(Realize it was just a typo.)

Yes sir. Gotta love Thermopolis & Bob M.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
He was the reason I owned a 25-06 and a still own a 35 Whelen that he inspired me to buy.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
He was one of my favorite writers and influenced me more than writers like O’Connor. He seemed more salt of the earth to me and that really came across in his writing.

It’s his fault I had a very nice Single Six drilled and tapped for a scope. I think it was a Bushnell that I had mounted in Weaver rings. Damn accurate and really upped my hit percentage and extended my distance.

Certainly missed by many, thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
Posted By: trplem Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Bob Milek's writing and a really good price would be the reason my first factory hunting rifle was a .25-06. It's a 77 tanger that still gets hunted once in a while.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Back in the late 70’s early 80’s I would read every issue of Shooting Times cover to cover a couple times. Milek , Skeeter, Wooters, etc.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
I displayed at the International Varmint Shooter’s convention in Spokane, back in the early 90’s. There were quite a few big names in outdoor writing that attended. I was able to sit at the same table for dinner with Chet Brown, Chub Eastman, and Bob Milek. Keynote speaker was David Petzel.

I wasn’t too impressed with Petzel, but Brown, Eastman and Milek were great guys. You could talk to them on an equal basis and never felt that you were being considered any less of a person than they were.

Milek was totally engaging and talking to him at the convention, he was certainly an avid varmint shooter. Of the few writers I paid any attention to, Bob was one. I bought a 444 Marlin when he wrote about it and shot a few deer with it.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Mr. Milek died of cancer I believe. I always wondered if the perchlorate ethylene (dry cleaning fluid) that he used to clean handguns had anything to do with it. That stuff is pretty nasty. I too read all of his articles. His handgun hunting stuff were among my favorites. He was a big fan of the .357 Herrett.

Ron
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer, at the time. If i saw he had an article in the magazine, it wuold be the first one I read. Finn Aagard, was another of my favorites.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer, at the time. If i saw he had an article in the magazine, it wuold be the first one I read. Finn Aagard, was another of my favorites.

Both were also favorites of mine.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
By the way, Mr and Mrs Barsness are of the same cloth regarding ego. I was only a bottom rung freelance scribbler, but both of them always treated me as equals. I can say the same about the Three Kens of gundom (Howell, Oehler, and Waters.)
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
I really liked his writings! I had the opportunity to meet and visit with him twice after I moved to Wyoming…..heck of a nice guy!

I too, wish that I had kept some of his articles……a lot of stuff was dumped during my move. ☹️ memtb
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Never met him, but I truly felt the loss when he passed. He, Wooters, Boddington and Layne Simpson were the ones that shaped me as a "gun guy".
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
A little before my time unfortunately.

Did read his stuff when I found it though.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I displayed at the International Varmint Shooter’s convention in Spokane, back in the early 90’s. There were quite a few big names in outdoor writing that attended. I was able to sit at the same table for dinner with Chet Brown, Chub Eastman, and Bob Milek. Keynote speaker was David Petzel.

I wasn’t too impressed with Petzel, but Brown, Eastman and Milek were great guys. You could talk to them on an equal basis and never felt that you were being considered any less of a person than they were.

Milek was totally engaging and talking to him at the convention, he was certainly an avid varmint shooter. Of the few writers I paid any attention to, Bob was one. I bought a 444 Marlin when he wrote about it and shot a few deer with it.

Kirk,

I knew all those guys, though only got to talk with Chet Brown and Bob Milek Sr. at trade shows. Always down-to-earth guys. Became a staff writer for Petersen's Hunting in the early 1990s, when he also was, and still have a bunch of those magazines to drag out and read now and then.

Knew Chub Eastman very well, and we hunted together for stuff from prairie dogs to Cape buffalo in several American states, plus Quebec and Tanzania until shortly before he passed away. A great guy and fine shot (he was on the Marine rifle team), who had all sorts of stories, and a fine sense of humor.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Bob Milek and Gary Sitton were two of my favorites back in those days (80's-90's). Lots of great writers from those times, including our own Mule Deer
tx270,

I also got to know Gary Sitton pretty well, and we were planning a hunt together before he passed away. Like to reread his columns in my collection of 1990s Petersens's Hunting magazines as well.

Thanks,
John
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
During that era, Milek and Skeeter were my favorite writers. Thanks to Milek I own a .25-06 and a Contender in .30 Herrett.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
What I remember most about bob milek was that the 30-30 was considered a 150 yard cartridge until you put it in a scoped Contender then it was a 200 yd + cartridge and especially so in Bob Mileks hands. He knew how to shoot and HUNT..mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
What I remember most about bob milek was that the 30-30 was considered a 150 yard cartridge until you put it in a scoped Contender then it was a 200 yd + cartridge and especially so in Bob Mileks hands. He knew how to shoot and HUNT..mb

Yep, he also took a Contender .35 Rem to Africa and killed a bunch of plains game with it. I remember him saying his guide was skeptical at first, but after he cleanly killed some pretty hefty critters, his PH said "That thing would work on buffalo."
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
What threads like these about past writers does, is convince me that I'm getting older. When one of these writers names are mentioned, I can almost always remember a particular article they wrote, that I really liked.

The mention of Gary Sitton always makes me recall the article he wrote titled, .308 Win. the 90% solution. For Bob Milek, it is the article where he took the 35 Whelen to Argentina right after Remington introduced it.
The Bob Milek article I remember best was one of several about the .25-06. He had been very busy, and elk season had already opened when he got a quick opportunity chance to go out. He picked his .25-06, because "it was sighted-in," and killed an eating-size bull with one 120-grain Speer Hot-Cor.

I appreciated the article in several ways, but partly because even in my earlier years of gun-writing the number of my rifles that were sighted-in with a specific load changed frequently, due to having to test different scopes, ammo, etc. So I also understood that aspect of the hunt--and hunting locally in elk country so well-known he could make a quick hunt.....
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Here is a few of his writings. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Milek%2c+Bob-a11565
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by aboltfan
What threads like these about past writers does, is convince me that I'm getting older. When one of these writers names are mentioned, I can almost always remember a particular article they wrote, that I really liked.

The mention of Gary Sitton always makes me recall the article he wrote titled, .308 Win. the 90% solution. For Bob Milek, it is the article where he took the 35 Whelen to Argentina right after Remington introduced it.

The 35 Whelen article and 416 Rem Mag were the two I remember the most. Wished I had copies of them to read today.
The Bob Milek article I remember best was one of several about the .25-06. He had been very busy, and elk season had already opened when he got a quick opportunity chance to go out. He picked his .25-06, because "it was sighted-in," and killed an eating-size bull with one 120-grain Speer Hot-Cor.

I appreciated the article in several ways, but partly because even in my earlier years of gun-writing the number of my rifles that were sighted-in with a specific load changed frequently, due to having to test different scopes, ammo, etc. So I also understood that aspect of the hunt--and hunting locally in elk country so well-known he could make a quick hunt.....

He did love his "quarter bores". I remember that one, and the one when he got his brand new 700 Classic in .257 Roberts, and one where he talked about one of his childhood mentors killing elk with his .250 99, and another mentor dropping two running pronghorn at 150 yards with an iron sighted 94 in .25-35. I own rifles in all those chamberings because of Bob Milek.
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23

Bob and the father of a friend of mine outfitted together for a while…..they new the area quite well! There’s a shooting range just nort of Thermopolis that bears Bob’s name!

I do remember Bob as really liking the smaller bore rifles, but also remember an article he wrote about the .338 WM.

As best I recall he was sitting, watching some elk at what he considered a bit too far for whatever he was shooting at the time! Then from above him and well behind him someone fired and an elk dropped.

He spoke to the hunter a bit later talking about the longer shot and it’s effectiveness…..and found that the hunter was using a .338 WM. Bob mentioned that perhaps for the hunter’s with limited time or opportunities may consider a cartridge such as the .338 WM, provided the hunter is proficient with the rifle!

This was related as best I can recall the article…..it may not be verbatim! memtb
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
Loved that guy. Even went to Thermopolis on a vacation. The hot springs there is legit & can totally see why he was able to pursue the shooting sports to its fullest in that region. RIP Bob.

#bestshootingglassesever
Posted By: tx270 Re: Bob Milek - 08/29/23
tx270,

I also got to know Gary Sitton pretty well, and we were planning a hunt together before he passed away. Like to reread his columns in my collection of 1990s Petersens's Hunting magazines as well.

Thanks,
John

John,

Every issue of Peterson's Hunting I went immediately to the back and read his monthly column first.

I have all those old issues in a box somewhere.

Bill
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
My brother was looking at buying a “deer rifle” at around the time of Bob Milek’s writing about the 25/06 and I think I talked him into buying one. That rifle put 117 flat base and Boat Tail 117 Sierras into little bitty groups. He settled on a load with 115 Partitions that I worked up for him.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
I have owned .25-06 rifles , I have killed numerous animals with a handgun , and in fact now live in North Central Wyoming ( although on the east side of the Bighorns instead of Bob's side the weather in the Basin sucks ) mostly because of Mr. Milek's writings. I do own and use a 7x57 because of Finn Aagard though..................
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Loved that guy. Even went to Thermopolis on a vacation. The hot springs there is legit & can totally see why he was able to pursue the shooting sports to its fullest in that region. RIP Bob.

Have always liked Thermopolis myself, and if we get run out of Montana due to the present population influx it would be on my short list. Lived in Lander for a year in the 1970s, and really liked it, partly because it was where the mountains met the plains, which is the sort of area have liked most in the West. But Thermopolis has even more varied country around it.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Thermopolis is way hot in the summer and Way cold in the winter. I live in Buffalo and its like ten degrees difference each season. It is not windy there though which is rare in Wyoming. and it smells like the hot springs in town...............
Good info! Though I knew about the smell of the hot springs.

Have also always liked Buffalo a lot, having spent six weeks working there as the mapper for an archaeological research company around 1980, when oil shale development in the area on BLM land was supposedly going to turn into a big thing.

When I lived in Lander it was -50 for a couple days that winter. But also lived in northeastern Montana for three years right after that, where it ranged between -58 and +113.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Kirk,

I knew all those guys, though only got to talk with Chet Brown and Bob Milek Sr. at trade shows. Always down-to-earth guys. Became a staff writer for Petersen's Hunting in the early 1990s, when he also was, and still have a bunch of those magazines to drag out and read now and then.

Knew Chub Eastman very well, and we hunted together for stuff from prairie dogs to Cape buffalo in several American states, plus Quebec and Tanzania until shortly before he passed away. A great guy and fine shot (he was on the Marine rifle team), who had all sorts of stories, and a fine sense of humor.

John,

Chub, at dinner, asked me why I was so blue. I told him that I was really wanting to meet John Barsness, but you weren’t there. Everyone consoled me and reassured me that you and I would meet some day and we did.

They were really nice guys, but you and Eileen are family…
Posted By: xphunter Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Bob Milek was my inspiration with specialty pistols.
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
John spend a few days in Thermop…..while I don’t live there, we’re there pretty often! The only sulfur smell that I detect is north of town near the RV Park, there is a sulfur laden creek crossing under the road which is feeding the RV pool. It’s a bit “smelly” right at the State Park near the springs and the pools! Unless you live in the park……you’ll never or very rarely smell the sulfur! memtb
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by tx270
Bob Milek and Gary Sitton were two of my favorites back in those days (80's-90's). Lots of great writers from those times, including our own Mule Deer

Agreed.
memtb,

I have spent a few days in Thermop--and more than one overnight. The smell wasn't much, but it was there--though nothing like areas of Yellowstone Park, which I've been to probably at least 100 times, due to growing up in Bozeman.

Was mostly interested in the extremes of temperature. Where we live now is pretty good, especially compared to other parts of Montana, and I've lived in various areas of the state from near Idaho to near North Dakota. But it can still get -40 and +100.

Have mentioned this before, but Montana has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 states.
Posted By: 79S Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
I wore out a guns and ammo magazine reading his article in guns and ammo about the 243 in the article he killed a mule deer. Then the article on 35 Whelen was the other one I re-read few times.
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
memtb,

I have spent a few days in Thermop--and more than one overnight. The smell wasn't much, but it was there--though nothing like areas of Yellowstone Park, which I've been to probably at least 100 times, due to growing up in Bozeman.

Was mostly interested in the extremes of temperature. Where we live now is pretty good, especially compared to other parts of Montana, and I've lived in various areas of the state from near Idaho to near North Dakota. But it can still get -40 and +100.

Have mentioned this before, but Montana has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 states.

I’m 19 miles out of Thermop, and your temperatures are pretty close to ours, and we’re almost always a little cooler than Thermop…..though we rarely get colder than -30. Until the last few years we had very little wind (only been here 22 years) …..we’ve been pretty breezy lately! memtb
Posted By: GeoW Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Many showing their age here. Bob Milek was one of the good ones, one of the best! Thanks for the post!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Originally Posted by 79S
I wore out a guns and ammo magazine reading his article in guns and ammo about the 243 in the article he killed a mule deer. Then the article on 35 Whelen was the other one I re-read few times.

Same here. My grandfather got me a Guns and Ammo subscription from when I was about 9-10 till he passed when I was a Sergeant at 21'ish... It was one of the best gifts ever. I'd peel it open for Milek's writing and Seyfried.. Those two shaped a buncha my thoughts as a young shooter.
Posted By: Westernmassman Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer. Bought my Rem Classic 35Whelen from reading his article on the same. Finally sold the rifle, still have the article.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Bob Milek - 08/30/23
Years ago when traveling to Cheyenne, had relitives there, went through Ten Sleeps to Thermopolis to try and catch him at a favorite hang out of his, missed him that morning. Sorry I did.. Liked his writing..
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
Good info! Though I knew about the smell of the hot springs.

Have also always liked Buffalo a lot, having spent six weeks working there as the mapper for an archaeological research company around 1980, when oil shale development in the area on BLM land was supposedly going to turn into a big thing.

When I lived in Lander it was -50 for a couple days that winter. But also lived in northeastern Montana for three years right after that, where it ranged between -58 and +113.
If you ever pass through Buffalo , Message me and we will get together. It would be an honor for me.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
I read his articles in 22 specific magazines and suspect why I have a ruger single six
Posted By: Benbo Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
I also read anything of his I could get my hands on. Bought my first 25/06 and 223 contender because of his writings. I remember one of his articles I believe titled “western Varmint Safari”. Probably played a big part in my ending up trying to get out west and shoot p dogs as often as I can. I also remember an article he wrote, I believe in the 1983 Peterson’s Hunting Annual( when I was about 9) where he killed a black bear with a Ruger 44mag and a wild boar with a .300 Herret. Always wanted one of those and finally ran across a 14” .30 Herret barrel this spring so I snapped it up. My cousin and I always get a kick out of shooting something with our contenders and saying we bet Bob would proud! Yup… he’s still missed.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
This thread forced me to dig out my Guns and Ammo 1971 Annual. Elmer Keith, Truman Fowler..., Francis Sell, John Lachuk, Jaques Lott, Howard French, George C. Nonte, Allen Bishop and a host of lesser knowns. I was 10. Fun read.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer. Bought my Rem Classic 35Whelen from reading his article on the same. Finally sold the rifle, still have the article.

Was this a story about the 35 Whelen; and Bob used it to take a spike bull elk in Montana? I also know of him getting a nice black bear with the 35-W.
Yes, like many, Bob was a great guy.

Take care.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Have always liked Thermopolis myself, and if we get run out of Montana due to the present population influx it would be on my short list. Lived in Lander for a year in the 1970s, and really liked it, partly because it was where the mountains met the plains, which is the sort of area have liked most in the West. But Thermopolis has even more varied country around it.

I have had occasion to drive by the Bob Milek gun range on my scouting trips up to my Deer and Antelope units this year......pretty fitting Memorial for a man like Bob I'd say.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by memtb
memtb,

I’m 19 miles out of Thermop, and your temperatures are pretty close to ours, and we’re almost always a little cooler than Thermop…..though we rarely get colder than -30. Until the last few years we had very little wind (only been here 22 years) …..we’ve been pretty breezy lately! memtb
In 2017 the wife and I were hunting pronghorn near Thermo.
We were staying in a little cabin in a rv park, we hunted the mornings and evenings and left the afternoons for a little exploring. We took a fancy to Worland and put it on our short list of possible places to live. With the cold temps you stated I might be glad I ended up where Im at. I have a lot of family here in Idaho but I love Wyoming and still think about moving.
As to Bob he was the first gun writer I gravitated to as a younger man. I have more than a few 1/4 bores because of him. I was truly saddened when he passed and looking back I do not know why it hit me that way. I also enjoyed Ross and JB. I thought Craig was a thorn in Ross’s side. No proof of that just a 20 something year olds thought process.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
338reddog,

The one winter I spent living in Wyoming was 1973-74, in Lander. It got down to either -50 or -55, can't remember now--one of only two times I've seen -50 in my life, the other in northeast Montana a year later.

But in general Wyoming is colder than Montana, even though it's farther south, due to its elevation being generally higher.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
I’ve hunted Wyoming many different times since 2012 for Pronghorn in the first two weeks of October and I’m always amazed by the temperature swings some trips. +25 C one day and the next morning -18 C with blowing snow.
Stayed in Thermopolis for 2022 hunt and really liked the town and area.
Have also stayed in Buffalo many times and Meeteetse once.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Bob Milek - 08/31/23
The weather in the Basin is truly terrible. Hot then cold and always windy. And the hot springs smell is appalling. It was -40 here several times last winter.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Bob Milek - 09/01/23
338reddog,

The one winter I spent living in Wyoming was 1973-74, in Lander. It got down to either -50 or -55, can't remember now--one of only two times I've seen -50 in my life, the other in northeast Montana a year later.

But in general Wyoming is colder than Montana, even though it's farther south, due to its elevation being generally higher.
I think my wife would rather stay in Idaho than experience temperatures that cold. I guess I dont care to either lol.
We are heading to unit 68 in a couple of weeks for pronghorn and then Im going back for elk in region G. I figure we will be safe for the - temps
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Bob Milek - 09/01/23
Originally Posted by EdM
This thread forced me to dig out my Guns and Ammo 1971 Annual. Elmer Keith, Truman Fowler..., Francis Sell, John Lachuk, Jaques Lott, Howard French, George C. Nonte, Allen Bishop and a host of lesser knowns. I was 10. Fun read.

Ed;
Morning sir, I hope it's not too smoky if you're all still up in north Idaho and you're all well.

Yesterday morning I was returning home from a bit of a marathon road trip and as only the south route - Highway 3 - is open I wasn't too far north of you and it wasn't super smoky. They'd had a wee bit of rain too and I hope you all did.

As I've been reading through the thread, enjoying the memories it's stirred up, when you mention Francis Sell, it twigged another.

Back when I was attempting to help keep a cabinet mfg. plant going, one of my better machine operators was a lady with the last name of Sell. She'd mentioned one day that her husband was a US citizen, from Oregon I want to say and one day it clicked into my brain that the name Sell wasn't all that common.

Being the curious sort, I asked if she had any family members who were wrote for outdoor magazines?

She replied something to the effect of, "Oh I think Uncle Frank might have yah" and then went on to describe how he and his wife were avid gardeners as well as having fruit trees, berry bushes and did all sorts of canning and preserves. He or better said they, as in he and his wife, were very well thought of by the family.

Anyways thought I'd share that tidbit is all Ed.

Regarding Bob Milek, when a buddy found a B78 in .25-06, I dug out all of his articles on the subject I could find and recall they were very useful. Honestly we found on deer that he was correct in that with the right bullets we just couldn't see any difference between the .25-06 and a .270 in terms of how the bucks reacted when hit or tissue damage either.

Thanks to all who've added to a grand thread, all the best to you all and good luck in your hunts.

Dwayne
Posted By: 65BR Re: Bob Milek - 09/01/23
I read alot of Bob's writings, and although he passed much too young, he surely loved what he did.

I can relate with many of you and how his R&D influenced me over time. Same with Finn.

Glad we still have a few great writers in the biz, such as JB.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Bob Milek - 09/01/23
I read his articles in nearly every G&A mag back in the 80’s. Like a lot of others have mentioned when I think Bob Milek I think of the 25-06, then the Rem XP-100 and his belief in sighting in for MPBR.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
338reddog,

Yeah , listen to JB , its brutal cold here and desolate. Stay away !!!!!!! LOL Oh and windier then Heck...........
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
One EARLY Sunday morning, just at daybreak I was in Thermopolis pulling into a gas station. Just as I turned into the station Bob, not seeing me, stepped directly in front of my truck. I got stopped inches from him. Though I never met him but always liked his writings, I could have found a better way to introduce myself.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
Originally Posted by wyoming260
338reddog,

Yeah , listen to JB , its brutal cold here and desolate. Stay away !!!!!!! LOL Oh and windier then Heck...........
So are you filled up yet?
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
338reddog,

Yes……a few of our most endearing features! Kinda hoping that we have a few brutal winters back to back to drive out a few of the leftest that are starting to infiltrate our state and attempt to transform us into the 💩hole they left! memtb
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
338reddog,

Yes……a few of our most endearing features! Kinda hoping that we have a few brutal winters back to back to drive out a few of the leftest that are starting to infiltrate our state and attempt to transform us into the 💩hole they left! memtb

That hasn't been working in Montana. It was 600,000 when I was born, and slowly rose to around 800,000 by 1990. Since then it hit a million around 2010, 1.2 million in 2020, and has been zipping upward since then--partly due to nitwits who thought they were escaping Covid by moving to such a "rural" state.

They're still pouring into the larger towns, especially Bozeman--which was 12,000 when I got out of high school, and about 10 times that now. We've had some real Rocky Mountain winters in the past few years, but that doesn't seem to affect them, perhaps because many live elsewhere during winter.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Bob Milek - 09/02/23
I've never enjoyed cold weather ! Many years ago (mid 60's) I spent most of 3 years in Roswell,NM in the Air Force (had to leave often for TDY @ other Bases, but that's where I got my mail. Anyway the winters were generally pretty mild, but in the HIGH PLANES anything can happen. Once mid-winter, we had a very pleasant day 65-70 degrees, not uncommon, BUT that night a cold front blew in and the next morning it was a record 26 BELOW. At 7 am. I left the Barracks to drive down to the Flight Line for work. My 57 Chevy grumbled, but started, but most cars didn't. I was plenty late getting to work as I spent 45 minutes giving JUMPS. I don't think anyone was there to notice i was late.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Bob Milek - 09/04/23
338reddog,

By the grace of the Good Lord I believe the wind is what keeps the front range of Colorado in check from spreading North, once them hippies hit the wind in Cheyenne , I believe they smarten up and turn around........
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 09/04/23
Check out the rising crime rate in Cheyenne……the wind isn’t stopping the garbage from blowing into Wyoming! memtb
Crime keeps the population in check also.... Meth and such are ever present. Cops need to learn to deal with more of an iron fist. Besides there is a lot of open prairie between here and CHeyenne
Posted By: memtb Re: Bob Milek - 09/04/23
Yes there is a lot of open country, but a few hours on the highway will get them here! 🤬 They can push their drugs, do some criminal activities…..go back to Kolorado/Cheyenne…..”reload” and come back to visit us! 🤬🤬🤬🤬 memtb
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Bob Milek - 09/04/23
Glad I still have all of those old magazines from the 80's & 90's, heck I still have all of the Handloader & most of the Rifle magazines going back to the very first ones in the 60's. Bob Milek was a great writer, very detailed in his work & ahead of his time in many ways. He helped out a lot of guys with getting their brass formed correctly on the 30 herrett when it first came out.
Spent one night in Thermopolis when I was playing football in college & I think the wind was blowing in our rooms, it never stops in Wyoming....we beat Powell JC.

Dick
Bob was responsible for me killing more than a few deer and a lot of woodchucks with an xp100 in 7br with his loads , he is also partly responsible for me owning several .25-06s and .338s . he is almost completely responsible for me now living in Wyoming. His matter of fact writing and love of hunting were infectious, whether hunting elk or prairie dogs......
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Bob Milek - 09/04/23
Bob was a big fan of the .41 Magnum IIRC.
© 24hourcampfire