Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve hunted Wyoming many different times since 2012 for Pronghorn in the first two weeks of October and I’m always amazed by the temperature swings some trips. +25 C one day and the next morning -18 C with blowing snow.
Stayed in Thermopolis for 2022 hunt and really liked the town and area.
Have also stayed in Buffalo many times and Meeteetse once.

Last edited by mod7rem; 08/31/23.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The weather in the Basin is truly terrible. Hot then cold and always windy. And the hot springs smell is appalling. It was -40 here several times last winter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
338reddog,

The one winter I spent living in Wyoming was 1973-74, in Lander. It got down to either -50 or -55, can't remember now--one of only two times I've seen -50 in my life, the other in northeast Montana a year later.

But in general Wyoming is colder than Montana, even though it's farther south, due to its elevation being generally higher.
I think my wife would rather stay in Idaho than experience temperatures that cold. I guess I dont care to either lol.
We are heading to unit 68 in a couple of weeks for pronghorn and then Im going back for elk in region G. I figure we will be safe for the - temps

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
This thread forced me to dig out my Guns and Ammo 1971 Annual. Elmer Keith, Truman Fowler..., Francis Sell, John Lachuk, Jaques Lott, Howard French, George C. Nonte, Allen Bishop and a host of lesser knowns. I was 10. Fun read.

Ed;
Morning sir, I hope it's not too smoky if you're all still up in north Idaho and you're all well.

Yesterday morning I was returning home from a bit of a marathon road trip and as only the south route - Highway 3 - is open I wasn't too far north of you and it wasn't super smoky. They'd had a wee bit of rain too and I hope you all did.

As I've been reading through the thread, enjoying the memories it's stirred up, when you mention Francis Sell, it twigged another.

Back when I was attempting to help keep a cabinet mfg. plant going, one of my better machine operators was a lady with the last name of Sell. She'd mentioned one day that her husband was a US citizen, from Oregon I want to say and one day it clicked into my brain that the name Sell wasn't all that common.

Being the curious sort, I asked if she had any family members who were wrote for outdoor magazines?

She replied something to the effect of, "Oh I think Uncle Frank might have yah" and then went on to describe how he and his wife were avid gardeners as well as having fruit trees, berry bushes and did all sorts of canning and preserves. He or better said they, as in he and his wife, were very well thought of by the family.

Anyways thought I'd share that tidbit is all Ed.

Regarding Bob Milek, when a buddy found a B78 in .25-06, I dug out all of his articles on the subject I could find and recall they were very useful. Honestly we found on deer that he was correct in that with the right bullets we just couldn't see any difference between the .25-06 and a .270 in terms of how the bucks reacted when hit or tissue damage either.

Thanks to all who've added to a grand thread, all the best to you all and good luck in your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read alot of Bob's writings, and although he passed much too young, he surely loved what he did.

I can relate with many of you and how his R&D influenced me over time. Same with Finn.

Glad we still have a few great writers in the biz, such as JB.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read his articles in nearly every G&A mag back in the 80’s. Like a lot of others have mentioned when I think Bob Milek I think of the 25-06, then the Rem XP-100 and his belief in sighting in for MPBR.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
338reddog,

The one winter I spent living in Wyoming was 1973-74, in Lander. It got down to either -50 or -55, can't remember now--one of only two times I've seen -50 in my life, the other in northeast Montana a year later.

But in general Wyoming is colder than Montana, even though it's farther south, due to its elevation being generally higher.

Yeah , listen to JB , its brutal cold here and desolate. Stay away !!!!!!! LOL Oh and windier then Heck...........

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One EARLY Sunday morning, just at daybreak I was in Thermopolis pulling into a gas station. Just as I turned into the station Bob, not seeing me, stepped directly in front of my truck. I got stopped inches from him. Though I never met him but always liked his writings, I could have found a better way to introduce myself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoming260
338reddog,

Yeah , listen to JB , its brutal cold here and desolate. Stay away !!!!!!! LOL Oh and windier then Heck...........
So are you filled up yet?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
338reddog,

Yes……a few of our most endearing features! Kinda hoping that we have a few brutal winters back to back to drive out a few of the leftest that are starting to infiltrate our state and attempt to transform us into the 💩hole they left! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by memtb
338reddog,

Yes……a few of our most endearing features! Kinda hoping that we have a few brutal winters back to back to drive out a few of the leftest that are starting to infiltrate our state and attempt to transform us into the 💩hole they left! memtb

That hasn't been working in Montana. It was 600,000 when I was born, and slowly rose to around 800,000 by 1990. Since then it hit a million around 2010, 1.2 million in 2020, and has been zipping upward since then--partly due to nitwits who thought they were escaping Covid by moving to such a "rural" state.

They're still pouring into the larger towns, especially Bozeman--which was 12,000 when I got out of high school, and about 10 times that now. We've had some real Rocky Mountain winters in the past few years, but that doesn't seem to affect them, perhaps because many live elsewhere during winter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've never enjoyed cold weather ! Many years ago (mid 60's) I spent most of 3 years in Roswell,NM in the Air Force (had to leave often for TDY @ other Bases, but that's where I got my mail. Anyway the winters were generally pretty mild, but in the HIGH PLANES anything can happen. Once mid-winter, we had a very pleasant day 65-70 degrees, not uncommon, BUT that night a cold front blew in and the next morning it was a record 26 BELOW. At 7 am. I left the Barracks to drive down to the Flight Line for work. My 57 Chevy grumbled, but started, but most cars didn't. I was plenty late getting to work as I spent 45 minutes giving JUMPS. I don't think anyone was there to notice i was late.

"not too grumpy"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by memtb
338reddog,

By the grace of the Good Lord I believe the wind is what keeps the front range of Colorado in check from spreading North, once them hippies hit the wind in Cheyenne , I believe they smarten up and turn around........

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Check out the rising crime rate in Cheyenne……the wind isn’t stopping the garbage from blowing into Wyoming! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Crime keeps the population in check also.... Meth and such are ever present. Cops need to learn to deal with more of an iron fist. Besides there is a lot of open prairie between here and CHeyenne

Last edited by wyoming260; 09/04/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yes there is a lot of open country, but a few hours on the highway will get them here! 🤬 They can push their drugs, do some criminal activities…..go back to Kolorado/Cheyenne…..”reload” and come back to visit us! 🤬🤬🤬🤬 memtb

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Glad I still have all of those old magazines from the 80's & 90's, heck I still have all of the Handloader & most of the Rifle magazines going back to the very first ones in the 60's. Bob Milek was a great writer, very detailed in his work & ahead of his time in many ways. He helped out a lot of guys with getting their brass formed correctly on the 30 herrett when it first came out.
Spent one night in Thermopolis when I was playing football in college & I think the wind was blowing in our rooms, it never stops in Wyoming....we beat Powell JC.

Dick

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bob was responsible for me killing more than a few deer and a lot of woodchucks with an xp100 in 7br with his loads , he is also partly responsible for me owning several .25-06s and .338s . he is almost completely responsible for me now living in Wyoming. His matter of fact writing and love of hunting were infectious, whether hunting elk or prairie dogs......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bob was a big fan of the .41 Magnum IIRC.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22 invisible), 14,869 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,969
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.