Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good info! Though I knew about the smell of the hot springs.

Have also always liked Buffalo a lot, having spent six weeks working there as the mapper for an archaeological research company around 1980, when oil shale development in the area on BLM land was supposedly going to turn into a big thing.

When I lived in Lander it was -50 for a couple days that winter. But also lived in northeastern Montana for three years right after that, where it ranged between -58 and +113.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I displayed at the International Varmint Shooter’s convention in Spokane, back in the early 90’s. There were quite a few big names in outdoor writing that attended. I was able to sit at the same table for dinner with Chet Brown, Chub Eastman, and Bob Milek. Keynote speaker was David Petzel.

I wasn’t too impressed with Petzel, but Brown, Eastman and Milek were great guys. You could talk to them on an equal basis and never felt that you were being considered any less of a person than they were.

Milek was totally engaging and talking to him at the convention, he was certainly an avid varmint shooter. Of the few writers I paid any attention to, Bob was one. I bought a 444 Marlin when he wrote about it and shot a few deer with it.

Kirk,

I knew all those guys, though only got to talk with Chet Brown and Bob Milek Sr. at trade shows. Always down-to-earth guys. Became a staff writer for Petersen's Hunting in the early 1990s, when he also was, and still have a bunch of those magazines to drag out and read now and then.

Knew Chub Eastman very well, and we hunted together for stuff from prairie dogs to Cape buffalo in several American states, plus Quebec and Tanzania until shortly before he passed away. A great guy and fine shot (he was on the Marine rifle team), who had all sorts of stories, and a fine sense of humor.

John,

Chub, at dinner, asked me why I was so blue. I told him that I was really wanting to meet John Barsness, but you weren’t there. Everyone consoled me and reassured me that you and I would meet some day and we did.

They were really nice guys, but you and Eileen are family…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob Milek was my inspiration with specialty pistols.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
John spend a few days in Thermop…..while I don’t live there, we’re there pretty often! The only sulfur smell that I detect is north of town near the RV Park, there is a sulfur laden creek crossing under the road which is feeding the RV pool. It’s a bit “smelly” right at the State Park near the springs and the pools! Unless you live in the park……you’ll never or very rarely smell the sulfur! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tx270
Bob Milek and Gary Sitton were two of my favorites back in those days (80's-90's). Lots of great writers from those times, including our own Mule Deer

Agreed.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
memtb,

I have spent a few days in Thermop--and more than one overnight. The smell wasn't much, but it was there--though nothing like areas of Yellowstone Park, which I've been to probably at least 100 times, due to growing up in Bozeman.

Was mostly interested in the extremes of temperature. Where we live now is pretty good, especially compared to other parts of Montana, and I've lived in various areas of the state from near Idaho to near North Dakota. But it can still get -40 and +100.

Have mentioned this before, but Montana has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 states.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wore out a guns and ammo magazine reading his article in guns and ammo about the 243 in the article he killed a mule deer. Then the article on 35 Whelen was the other one I re-read few times.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
memtb,

I have spent a few days in Thermop--and more than one overnight. The smell wasn't much, but it was there--though nothing like areas of Yellowstone Park, which I've been to probably at least 100 times, due to growing up in Bozeman.

Was mostly interested in the extremes of temperature. Where we live now is pretty good, especially compared to other parts of Montana, and I've lived in various areas of the state from near Idaho to near North Dakota. But it can still get -40 and +100.

Have mentioned this before, but Montana has the widest range of recorded temperatures of any of the 50 states.

I’m 19 miles out of Thermop, and your temperatures are pretty close to ours, and we’re almost always a little cooler than Thermop…..though we rarely get colder than -30. Until the last few years we had very little wind (only been here 22 years) …..we’ve been pretty breezy lately! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 08/29/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Many showing their age here. Bob Milek was one of the good ones, one of the best! Thanks for the post!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I wore out a guns and ammo magazine reading his article in guns and ammo about the 243 in the article he killed a mule deer. Then the article on 35 Whelen was the other one I re-read few times.

Same here. My grandfather got me a Guns and Ammo subscription from when I was about 9-10 till he passed when I was a Sergeant at 21'ish... It was one of the best gifts ever. I'd peel it open for Milek's writing and Seyfried.. Those two shaped a buncha my thoughts as a young shooter.

Semper Fi
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer. Bought my Rem Classic 35Whelen from reading his article on the same. Finally sold the rifle, still have the article.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Years ago when traveling to Cheyenne, had relitives there, went through Ten Sleeps to Thermopolis to try and catch him at a favorite hang out of his, missed him that morning. Sorry I did.. Liked his writing..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good info! Though I knew about the smell of the hot springs.

Have also always liked Buffalo a lot, having spent six weeks working there as the mapper for an archaeological research company around 1980, when oil shale development in the area on BLM land was supposedly going to turn into a big thing.

When I lived in Lander it was -50 for a couple days that winter. But also lived in northeastern Montana for three years right after that, where it ranged between -58 and +113.
If you ever pass through Buffalo , Message me and we will get together. It would be an honor for me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I read his articles in 22 specific magazines and suspect why I have a ruger single six

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also read anything of his I could get my hands on. Bought my first 25/06 and 223 contender because of his writings. I remember one of his articles I believe titled “western Varmint Safari”. Probably played a big part in my ending up trying to get out west and shoot p dogs as often as I can. I also remember an article he wrote, I believe in the 1983 Peterson’s Hunting Annual( when I was about 9) where he killed a black bear with a Ruger 44mag and a wild boar with a .300 Herret. Always wanted one of those and finally ran across a 14” .30 Herret barrel this spring so I snapped it up. My cousin and I always get a kick out of shooting something with our contenders and saying we bet Bob would proud! Yup… he’s still missed.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This thread forced me to dig out my Guns and Ammo 1971 Annual. Elmer Keith, Truman Fowler..., Francis Sell, John Lachuk, Jaques Lott, Howard French, George C. Nonte, Allen Bishop and a host of lesser knowns. I was 10. Fun read.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Westernmassman
Bob Milek was my favorite gun writer. Bought my Rem Classic 35Whelen from reading his article on the same. Finally sold the rifle, still have the article.

Was this a story about the 35 Whelen; and Bob used it to take a spike bull elk in Montana? I also know of him getting a nice black bear with the 35-W.
Yes, like many, Bob was a great guy.

Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Loved that guy. Even went to Thermopolis on a vacation. The hot springs there is legit & can totally see why he was able to pursue the shooting sports to its fullest in that region. RIP Bob.

Have always liked Thermopolis myself, and if we get run out of Montana due to the present population influx it would be on my short list. Lived in Lander for a year in the 1970s, and really liked it, partly because it was where the mountains met the plains, which is the sort of area have liked most in the West. But Thermopolis has even more varied country around it.

I have had occasion to drive by the Bob Milek gun range on my scouting trips up to my Deer and Antelope units this year......pretty fitting Memorial for a man like Bob I'd say.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by memtb
memtb,

I’m 19 miles out of Thermop, and your temperatures are pretty close to ours, and we’re almost always a little cooler than Thermop…..though we rarely get colder than -30. Until the last few years we had very little wind (only been here 22 years) …..we’ve been pretty breezy lately! memtb
In 2017 the wife and I were hunting pronghorn near Thermo.
We were staying in a little cabin in a rv park, we hunted the mornings and evenings and left the afternoons for a little exploring. We took a fancy to Worland and put it on our short list of possible places to live. With the cold temps you stated I might be glad I ended up where Im at. I have a lot of family here in Idaho but I love Wyoming and still think about moving.
As to Bob he was the first gun writer I gravitated to as a younger man. I have more than a few 1/4 bores because of him. I was truly saddened when he passed and looking back I do not know why it hit me that way. I also enjoyed Ross and JB. I thought Craig was a thorn in Ross’s side. No proof of that just a 20 something year olds thought process.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
338reddog,

The one winter I spent living in Wyoming was 1973-74, in Lander. It got down to either -50 or -55, can't remember now--one of only two times I've seen -50 in my life, the other in northeast Montana a year later.

But in general Wyoming is colder than Montana, even though it's farther south, due to its elevation being generally higher.

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.