Home
Debated where to post this question, and finally put it here smile

I'm looking to add a .308 bolt action, and it will probably be something in a stainless/synthetic/functional variant, as opposed to a classic sporter. The Steyr rifles are interesting. I handled a .308 Scout this evening, and also a SBS model this past weekend. They each have their pros & cons, and quirks.

The big question is, how do they shoot? Can I expect accuracy comparable to the best rifles under $2k?

Thanks!
Ten years ago I would tell folks that Steyr Pro/Mountain, SBS, rifles were the best kept secret in the industry.

My first Steyr was a Steyr Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. I got it for less than $450 in a three rifle deal.

Now day's you can hardly touch one for under $900.

I can show it in pix of targets and critters,

or

you may believe me when I say, that of the dozen or so I've owned, all have shot Sub-MOA @ 100 yds.

ya!

GWB
I have a model M in 30 06. Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards consistently with handloads. Could not be happier for its use as a hunting rifle.
I have a Model M Professional and it is very accurate, but it's got absolutely stupid weak plastic bottom "metal" and trigger guard and a stupid plastic magazine. Steyr ruined an otherwise excellent rifle.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The big question is, how do they shoot? Can I expect accuracy comparable to the best rifles under $2k?

Thanks!

I have two Steyr, bought the second when the first one pleased me a good deal. Without trying them all I'd expect accuracy on average to match or exceed out of box most anything in a hunting rifle under $2K. First shot from a cold barrel has been perfectly reliable. Suits me to carry in the woods and prairies.

That said for a bench rifle level of accuracy I have well under $2K without scope in a trued action Remington 700 custom barrel varmint gun with a tight necked chamber in a 26" very very heavy barrel well bedded. On a good day for me it shoots in the threes and I would expect better from a better bench shooter. I don't carry this one very far at all.

One of the clearance houses has Colt and Ruger precision, chassis stocked, rifles in .308 for well under $2K if that's the criterion.
I've owned 3, all were sub MOA:

MOD M Professional in .270Win
MOD M Full stock carbine in 30-06
MOD S in 8x68S which I still have

Great hunting rifles, but for $2K and getting the best accuracy I could I'd look elsewhere. A friend of mine bought a Tikka in .270Win last year that shoots just as well, if not better for less than the Steyrs are going for.
I had an early Model M Professional in 270 Win. Everything was good except the cheap ass stock that you could squeeze the fore end tight enough to hit the barrel on both sides .
Originally Posted by Huntz
I had an early Model M Professional in 270 Win. Everything was good except the cheap ass stock that you could squeeze the fore end tight enough to hit the barrel on both sides .
And to get around that problem you have to sand a larger barrel channel.
I bought a Steyr ProHunter years ago in 308 for $500. With Hornady factory Light Mag 150gr SST rounds, it would shoot 1/4" consistently. I currently shoot a Model M in 270 with similar results. They can be crazy accurate. One of my favorites was a Steyr Scout in 376 Steyr. That was a little cannon for sure.
Have owned 3 .308’s, 1 was a scout, a HB and a mountain rifle. All were sub MOA.
Also owned .7-08, a .376 I still own and a MIII professional in .30-06 I still regret selling.

My .376
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I had a Steyr Pro Hunter in 6.5x57 and it was accurate right out of the box with whatever I fed it. With the adjustable butt pad on it I gave it to my granddaughter. I took the spacers out and it fits her fine. I now have a Steyr CL ll in .308 with loads ready to go when I get to the range. It is the full stock 20" barrel. If it shoots as good as the Pro Hunter I will be a happy camper.
Have a great day.
Jim
At the risk of talking against how I make a living, I'd do this:
I would set up a target, whatever the animal was, and see if these type rifles would consistently put every shot in the heart or lungs at the distance you plan to shoot. I'd bet that all will do this. Any more accuracy is just vanity.
Charlie
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
At the risk of talking against how I make a living, I'd do this:
I would set up a target, whatever the animal was, and see if these type rifles would consistently put every shot in the heart or lungs at the distance you plan to shoot. I'd bet that all will do this. Any more accuracy is just vanity.
Charlie

Wisest thing I’ve heard in a long time.
When you have a very accurate rifle, it's easy to check your zero each important hunt. You fire one shot and it's where you expect it on the target. On the other hand if your rifle doesn't group tightly, you fire one shot and it might be up and to the left. So you fire a second, and it has a different point of impact. So you fire a third and possibly conclude your rifle's point of impact is probably correct, but you're not 100% sure.
My Steyr Scout is the most accurate centerfire rifle I own.
My first Steyr was a Steyr Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. I got it for less than $450 in a three rifle deal.

That's about what I paid for a used one. It was VERY accurate. But for a 20" barreled "mountain" rifle it was a heavy SOB. Mine had the butterknife bolt handle that would hit the scope unless it was mounted higher than I liked. The bolt handle could have been replaced but ultimately I decided it was just heavier than I needed. I was able to get my money back on it.

Honestly, I like Tikka 308 I replaced it with better, it's at least as accurate. I chopped the barrel to 19" and with a Burris 3-9X40 scope it only weighs 7 lbs.

I've handled the Scout and think I'd like one. I know where several are located in 6.5CM for about $1100. I'm tempted. I already load for 308 and 6.5 CM so I wouldn't be adding a new cartridge.
Anyone know what barrel twist Steyr uses in .308s? I've seen anywhere from 10 - 12" in other factory rifles.
I have a pair of Steyr Mountain Rifles, one in 6.5 Swedish and one in 308. Each shoots lights out, under 3/4" with pretty much any ammo and a good bit better with my handloads. A bit heavy for a "Mountain Rifle" but I am pretty comfortable knowing either will shoot better than I can many days with any ammunition I load into it. I paid less for both than what a new Tikka in either would cost full price. They are among my cold dead hands guns, never gonna sell.

RAS
I was able to shoot a Steyr Scout rifle one time at a sniper comp. It had the smallest diameter barrel on a 308 I ever seen. The muzzle of the barrel was smaller then the tip of my little finger. It was was a nice compact rifle, and very accurate. But, at that time they wanted 2k for it. Way more then I wanted to spend. That rifle was accurate out to 500 yards. With a 2.5x Leupold on it. By the way, I do have a Pristine 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope, matte finish, with a custom shop heavy duplex reticle for sale, if anyone is looking?
What twist do they use in .308?
Just get a Tikka…….

I don’t own one myself, yet, and have dissed them here off and on forever over various nits, but they obviously work and shoot very well. Might be the safest purchase you can make……
a friend of mine has a Steyr in a . 458 win mag . he was thinking about selling what's something like that worth but I guess I can't really ask that question cuz I'm not positive exactly which model it is. I know it does have the butter knife type bolt handle.
I will gather up more info.
Does anyone have what appears to be top secret info on how to adjust the Steyr single stage trigger? This is NOT the single set trigger. There are two exposed screws accessible on the trigger shoe that I'm sure are the way. Just not sure which screw adjusts what.
Originally Posted by wyattd
Does anyone have what appears to be top secret info on how to adjust the Steyr single stage trigger? This is NOT the single set trigger. There are two exposed screws accessible on the trigger shoe that I'm sure are the way. Just not sure which screw adjusts what.

Does anyone? There have been several groups with a Steyr focus. Andy Langlois - who sells most excellent rifle slings - has been a force behind a Scout discussion forum and facebook page and there has been an active steyrclub.com

I have some very light triggers on varmint rifles and such used prone and rested. I have had no desire to change my two Steyr used for large and larger game once lubed and fired a few times

Fr. Frog has maintained a most useful website with Steyr information lo these many years for which I for one am truly grateful.

Trigger Adjustment

I have had numerous requests for the trigger adjustment procedure. However, because of product liability issues (let us give thanks for all the lawyers) the factory and the importers have asked me to refrain from publishing the directions on the Internet.

The factory setting is 3.5 lb (56 oz) ± .4 lb (7 oz)

While it is nominally "user" adjustable, Steyr states that it should only be done by a qualified gunsmith and if you don't have a clue about what trigger adjustment entails you can screw things up. They have requested that I obtain a "disclaimer" from anyone that I send the information to.
I sent Fr. Frog an email a while back and didn't get a response. Wasn't sure if he still provided that info. I'll try again. Otherwise all I can find are instructions for the set trigger.
Based on a spec sheet I stumbled across on a GB auction, Steyr uses 1 in 12" for .308. I found a contact email on their website, and asked them to confirm.
Fairly new gun shop had a Steyer scout listed in his shop for$1800 for about a year, I'd looked at it few times.
This summer I purchased a S&W 686+ from him and while I was there I looked at the Steyer again he told me he was tired of looking at it I could have it for $1000 . It's one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've owned and will 130 thur 168 gr bullits with in an inch of each other most being 3/4 or less.
I have 15 deer rifles at this time and it's my current favorite, it's fairly light short and handy 308 will take down most anything I hunt .
Based on a spec sheet I stumbled across on a GB auction, Steyr uses 1 in 12" for .308. I found a contact email on their website, and asked them to confirm.

Go ahead and grab one of those in 308. I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty nice. I couldn't say exactly how nice because I haven't had a chance to bag it off the bench just yet, but it's and inch or better off the hood of the truck, so I have to think it will shine. Mine was in the rotation to come down to the pig hunt this year, but work got in my way.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Go ahead and grab one of those in 308. I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty nice. I couldn't say exactly how nice because I haven't had a chance to bag it off the bench just yet, but it's and inch or better off the hood of the truck, so I have to think it will shine. Mine was in the rotation to come down to the pig hunt this year, but work got in my way.

Thanks, seems most owners do like them a lot, though some folks are less than thrilled with the Scout Rifle concept. I've also noted that while a number of makers use a 10" twist, a 12" twist will actually stabilize bullets that are longer, than I am likely to use.
My Steyr Scout in 7mm-08 shoots .5-.75” groups if I do my part. That is with over the counter 150gr Precision Hunter ammo.
Still on the fence if I want to sell it or not, couple of guys here on the forum already have dibs if I do. lol
I just bought a used SBS in 7mm-08 I'm waiting to try out. I have one of the first SBS's in .376 Steyr, that would shoot dime to quarter sized groups all day.
© 24hourcampfire