Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just get a Tikka…….

I don’t own one myself, yet, and have dissed them here off and on forever over various nits, but they obviously work and shoot very well. Might be the safest purchase you can make……

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
a friend of mine has a Steyr in a . 458 win mag . he was thinking about selling what's something like that worth but I guess I can't really ask that question cuz I'm not positive exactly which model it is. I know it does have the butter knife type bolt handle.
I will gather up more info.

Last edited by ldholton; 03/17/24.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Does anyone have what appears to be top secret info on how to adjust the Steyr single stage trigger? This is NOT the single set trigger. There are two exposed screws accessible on the trigger shoe that I'm sure are the way. Just not sure which screw adjusts what.

Last edited by wyattd; 03/17/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wyattd
Does anyone have what appears to be top secret info on how to adjust the Steyr single stage trigger? This is NOT the single set trigger. There are two exposed screws accessible on the trigger shoe that I'm sure are the way. Just not sure which screw adjusts what.

Does anyone? There have been several groups with a Steyr focus. Andy Langlois - who sells most excellent rifle slings - has been a force behind a Scout discussion forum and facebook page and there has been an active steyrclub.com

I have some very light triggers on varmint rifles and such used prone and rested. I have had no desire to change my two Steyr used for large and larger game once lubed and fired a few times

Fr. Frog has maintained a most useful website with Steyr information lo these many years for which I for one am truly grateful.

Trigger Adjustment

I have had numerous requests for the trigger adjustment procedure. However, because of product liability issues (let us give thanks for all the lawyers) the factory and the importers have asked me to refrain from publishing the directions on the Internet.

The factory setting is 3.5 lb (56 oz) ± .4 lb (7 oz)

While it is nominally "user" adjustable, Steyr states that it should only be done by a qualified gunsmith and if you don't have a clue about what trigger adjustment entails you can screw things up. They have requested that I obtain a "disclaimer" from anyone that I send the information to.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I sent Fr. Frog an email a while back and didn't get a response. Wasn't sure if he still provided that info. I'll try again. Otherwise all I can find are instructions for the set trigger.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Based on a spec sheet I stumbled across on a GB auction, Steyr uses 1 in 12" for .308. I found a contact email on their website, and asked them to confirm.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
ccl Offline
C
Fairly new gun shop had a Steyer scout listed in his shop for$1800 for about a year, I'd looked at it few times.
This summer I purchased a S&W 686+ from him and while I was there I looked at the Steyer again he told me he was tired of looking at it I could have it for $1000 . It's one of the most consistently accurate rifles I've owned and will 130 thur 168 gr bullits with in an inch of each other most being 3/4 or less.
I have 15 deer rifles at this time and it's my current favorite, it's fairly light short and handy 308 will take down most anything I hunt .

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Based on a spec sheet I stumbled across on a GB auction, Steyr uses 1 in 12" for .308. I found a contact email on their website, and asked them to confirm.

Go ahead and grab one of those in 308. I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty nice. I couldn't say exactly how nice because I haven't had a chance to bag it off the bench just yet, but it's and inch or better off the hood of the truck, so I have to think it will shine. Mine was in the rotation to come down to the pig hunt this year, but work got in my way.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Go ahead and grab one of those in 308. I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty nice. I couldn't say exactly how nice because I haven't had a chance to bag it off the bench just yet, but it's and inch or better off the hood of the truck, so I have to think it will shine. Mine was in the rotation to come down to the pig hunt this year, but work got in my way.

Thanks, seems most owners do like them a lot, though some folks are less than thrilled with the Scout Rifle concept. I've also noted that while a number of makers use a 10" twist, a 12" twist will actually stabilize bullets that are longer, than I am likely to use.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Steyr Scout in 7mm-08 shoots .5-.75” groups if I do my part. That is with over the counter 150gr Precision Hunter ammo.
Still on the fence if I want to sell it or not, couple of guys here on the forum already have dibs if I do. lol

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just bought a used SBS in 7mm-08 I'm waiting to try out. I have one of the first SBS's in .376 Steyr, that would shoot dime to quarter sized groups all day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.