Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Debated where to post this question, and finally put it here smile

I'm looking to add a .308 bolt action, and it will probably be something in a stainless/synthetic/functional variant, as opposed to a classic sporter. The Steyr rifles are interesting. I handled a .308 Scout this evening, and also a SBS model this past weekend. They each have their pros & cons, and quirks.

The big question is, how do they shoot? Can I expect accuracy comparable to the best rifles under $2k?

Thanks!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ten years ago I would tell folks that Steyr Pro/Mountain, SBS, rifles were the best kept secret in the industry.

My first Steyr was a Steyr Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. I got it for less than $450 in a three rifle deal.

Now day's you can hardly touch one for under $900.

I can show it in pix of targets and critters,

or

you may believe me when I say, that of the dozen or so I've owned, all have shot Sub-MOA @ 100 yds.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 03/12/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have a model M in 30 06. Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards consistently with handloads. Could not be happier for its use as a hunting rifle.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 03/12/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Model M Professional and it is very accurate, but it's got absolutely stupid weak plastic bottom "metal" and trigger guard and a stupid plastic magazine. Steyr ruined an otherwise excellent rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The big question is, how do they shoot? Can I expect accuracy comparable to the best rifles under $2k?

Thanks!

I have two Steyr, bought the second when the first one pleased me a good deal. Without trying them all I'd expect accuracy on average to match or exceed out of box most anything in a hunting rifle under $2K. First shot from a cold barrel has been perfectly reliable. Suits me to carry in the woods and prairies.

That said for a bench rifle level of accuracy I have well under $2K without scope in a trued action Remington 700 custom barrel varmint gun with a tight necked chamber in a 26" very very heavy barrel well bedded. On a good day for me it shoots in the threes and I would expect better from a better bench shooter. I don't carry this one very far at all.

One of the clearance houses has Colt and Ruger precision, chassis stocked, rifles in .308 for well under $2K if that's the criterion.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 03/13/24.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've owned 3, all were sub MOA:

MOD M Professional in .270Win
MOD M Full stock carbine in 30-06
MOD S in 8x68S which I still have

Great hunting rifles, but for $2K and getting the best accuracy I could I'd look elsewhere. A friend of mine bought a Tikka in .270Win last year that shoots just as well, if not better for less than the Steyrs are going for.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had an early Model M Professional in 270 Win. Everything was good except the cheap ass stock that you could squeeze the fore end tight enough to hit the barrel on both sides .

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
I had an early Model M Professional in 270 Win. Everything was good except the cheap ass stock that you could squeeze the fore end tight enough to hit the barrel on both sides .
And to get around that problem you have to sand a larger barrel channel.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a Steyr ProHunter years ago in 308 for $500. With Hornady factory Light Mag 150gr SST rounds, it would shoot 1/4" consistently. I currently shoot a Model M in 270 with similar results. They can be crazy accurate. One of my favorites was a Steyr Scout in 376 Steyr. That was a little cannon for sure.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have owned 3 .308’s, 1 was a scout, a HB and a mountain rifle. All were sub MOA.
Also owned .7-08, a .376 I still own and a MIII professional in .30-06 I still regret selling.

My .376
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/13/24.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a Steyr Pro Hunter in 6.5x57 and it was accurate right out of the box with whatever I fed it. With the adjustable butt pad on it I gave it to my granddaughter. I took the spacers out and it fits her fine. I now have a Steyr CL ll in .308 with loads ready to go when I get to the range. It is the full stock 20" barrel. If it shoots as good as the Pro Hunter I will be a happy camper.
Have a great day.
Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At the risk of talking against how I make a living, I'd do this:
I would set up a target, whatever the animal was, and see if these type rifles would consistently put every shot in the heart or lungs at the distance you plan to shoot. I'd bet that all will do this. Any more accuracy is just vanity.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
At the risk of talking against how I make a living, I'd do this:
I would set up a target, whatever the animal was, and see if these type rifles would consistently put every shot in the heart or lungs at the distance you plan to shoot. I'd bet that all will do this. Any more accuracy is just vanity.
Charlie

Wisest thing I’ve heard in a long time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When you have a very accurate rifle, it's easy to check your zero each important hunt. You fire one shot and it's where you expect it on the target. On the other hand if your rifle doesn't group tightly, you fire one shot and it might be up and to the left. So you fire a second, and it has a different point of impact. So you fire a third and possibly conclude your rifle's point of impact is probably correct, but you're not 100% sure.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 03/13/24.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My Steyr Scout is the most accurate centerfire rifle I own.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My first Steyr was a Steyr Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. I got it for less than $450 in a three rifle deal.

That's about what I paid for a used one. It was VERY accurate. But for a 20" barreled "mountain" rifle it was a heavy SOB. Mine had the butterknife bolt handle that would hit the scope unless it was mounted higher than I liked. The bolt handle could have been replaced but ultimately I decided it was just heavier than I needed. I was able to get my money back on it.

Honestly, I like Tikka 308 I replaced it with better, it's at least as accurate. I chopped the barrel to 19" and with a Burris 3-9X40 scope it only weighs 7 lbs.

I've handled the Scout and think I'd like one. I know where several are located in 6.5CM for about $1100. I'm tempted. I already load for 308 and 6.5 CM so I wouldn't be adding a new cartridge.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone know what barrel twist Steyr uses in .308s? I've seen anywhere from 10 - 12" in other factory rifles.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a pair of Steyr Mountain Rifles, one in 6.5 Swedish and one in 308. Each shoots lights out, under 3/4" with pretty much any ammo and a good bit better with my handloads. A bit heavy for a "Mountain Rifle" but I am pretty comfortable knowing either will shoot better than I can many days with any ammunition I load into it. I paid less for both than what a new Tikka in either would cost full price. They are among my cold dead hands guns, never gonna sell.

RAS

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I was able to shoot a Steyr Scout rifle one time at a sniper comp. It had the smallest diameter barrel on a 308 I ever seen. The muzzle of the barrel was smaller then the tip of my little finger. It was was a nice compact rifle, and very accurate. But, at that time they wanted 2k for it. Way more then I wanted to spend. That rifle was accurate out to 500 yards. With a 2.5x Leupold on it. By the way, I do have a Pristine 2.5x Leupold Scout Scope, matte finish, with a custom shop heavy duplex reticle for sale, if anyone is looking?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What twist do they use in .308?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,288
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.