Home
Posted By: ingwe How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Hunt successfully without:

A full sized backpack...camo, with lots of loops on it...

Head to toe designer camo to wear in Texas deer blinds...

Orange vests to wear over your camo in the blind...in case you aint in Texas...

Camo face paint to wear anywhere....

Lazer rangefinders to tell us the deer is 100 yards away....

Tripod shooting sticks with triggers and red spongy stuff on them....

Flavored chemicals to put in our hydration bottles....

Scopes with A/Os on the side, turrets, lighted reticles and batteries, and 30mm tubes to shoot at the deer you just lazered at 100 yards....

Gear shifter bolt handles, and fluted bolts to trap dust and debris....

And my last question, have I been watching too many hunting shows on the Bubbavision Channels?????

shocked

Only if you were whispering as you wrote this.
Ronnie
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Just lucky.
Posted By: SLM Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
That list could go on for pages if you count in the stuff you read here.

grin laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by SLM

Yeah...I left out cough silencers, blue tape, and butt-out tools.....
I do get a kick out of the Bubbavision guys, with the latest whiz bang long range gravity defying magnums taking time to laser deer at 167 yards.....
Posted By: liliysdad Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
The same way we got around before horses, carts, automobiles, and aircraft. the same way we communicated before mail, telephones, fax machines, email, and cell phones. The same way we survived before antibiotics, cardiac surgery, and immunizations...

Times change, things progress...there is nothing inherently bad about it. The hanging on to ideals for the sake of being curmudgeonly, however, is ridiculous.
Got a suggestion Ingwe,quit watching those shows.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

Scopes with A/Os on the side, turrets, lighted reticles and batteries, and 30mm tubes to shoot at the deer you just lazered at 100 yards....

shocked

I don't know..... shocked confused

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SLM

No way I'm leaving the house without my Butt-Out tool.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Concerning the full size backpack with lots of loops...well these days I take a lot more pictures (certainly more field pics vs in the pickup bed pics) requiring camera and tripod to be with me, plus my SPOT device, more water, spotting scope, rain gear and game bags...plus room for quarters since I don't drag deer/antelope and for sure not elk unless they're uphill from a road and reasonably close.

A full size backpack (loops optional) simply makes me a better, more capable hunter than I was when I first started out. Chucker hunting, where I can hike well over 10 miles a day, sometimes close to 20, I can cram everything I need into my bird vest.

That was about as serious of a post as I will ever make.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Concerning the full size backpack with lots of loops...well these days I take a lot more pictures (certainly more field pics vs in the pickup bed pics) requiring camera and tripod to be with me, plus my SPOT device, more water, spotting scope, rain gear and game bags...plus room for quarters since I don't drag deer/antelope and for sure not elk unless they're uphill from a road and reasonably close.

A full size backpack (loops optional) simply makes me a better, more capable hunter than I was when I first started out. Chucker hunting, where I can hike well over 10 miles a day, sometimes close to 20, I can cram everything I need into my bird vest.

I don't like you sober.
The butt-out tool is pretty awesome. I like to shove it up my own ass when I am chilling out in the middle of the day, between morning and evening hunts.

It's exhilarating.

80% of chicks dig it too.
I just chugged a 5th. My normal sarcastic, demeaning self is back.

suck it.
Following Bob's example.

[Linked Image]

7mm Mauser,160 gr Sierra GK and a 4x Weaver scope. No laser range finder was used.
That shag sling you bought from Mr. Powers is sweet.

Does it come in burgundy?
Nope.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
I absolutely abhor camo stuff.. Can't stand it. Won't wear it.

If that's other folks thing, more power to em.

A full size backpack (loops optional) simply makes me a better, more capable hunter than I was when I first started out. Chucker Chukar hunting, where I can hike well over 10 miles a day, sometimes close to 20, I can cram everything I need into my bird vest.

Fixt it for you.

I couldn't help myself.

Go sit on your butt-out tool.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Not for nothing, I like the packs of today and the clothing. It was easy to hunt cold and wet when I was 20, because I was tough and stupid.

Now I'm just stupid.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Got a suggestion Ingwe,quit watching those shows.

But...but.....if you can't make fun of those less fortunate than yourself, who can you make fun of???
Yep...Growing up, we hunted in blue jeans, and a cheap Gibson's blaze orange sweatshirt, if we were lucky.

Now that I can, having gear tailor made for hunting makes it much, much more enjoyable.
Though I do love simplicity. I don't carry much with me. The only ammo is in the belly of the gun.

Same with fishing, I got tired of towing, launching etc the boat to fish, I frigging hate it.

I'm not much into freshwater fishing anyways, except for trout and steelhead.

Gimme a creek or pond and an UL spinning rod or a fly rod and I'm good.
Go fishing or go kill some bunny rabbits or pester some one here on the 'fire.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not for nothing, I like the packs of today and the clothing. It was easy to hunt cold and wet when I was 20, because I was tough and stupid.

Now I'm just stupid.

Point taken.....I just do go anymore when its nasty out.... grin

So WTF is the big deal with shooting sticks? I know they are trying to sell them by product placement on TV but my Gawd they haul schitt up the hill better than my bench rest for testing loads...
Go fishing or go kill some bunny rabbits or pester some one here on the 'fire.

Looks like I'm pestering you. grin
Yup you are. wink grin

So WTF is the big deal with shooting sticks? I know they are trying to sell them by product placement on TV but my Gawd they haul schitt up the hill better than my bench rest for testing loads...

A good set of sticks is way too easy to carry not to.
Well, WhittalinMT wasn't handy.....
I still like hunting when it's nasty. I've always liked hunting in the rain, not downpour, but a drizzle.

I don't carry shooting sticks, seldom a sling. My clothing/boots/binos/rifle with ammo in belly and a knife.

That takes care of most things these days.
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I killed my last three critters leaning on a tree...sticks that were already there! grin
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I've never figured out how the hell I carry sticks and a rifle. [bleep] the sticks. Maybe when I get Parkinson's.
With a fancy pack with loops and such, the sticks carry themselves.
I don't wear fanny packs.
I still like hunting when it's nasty. I've always liked hunting in the rain, not downpour, but a drizzle.

I don't carry shooting sticks, seldom a sling. My clothing/boots/binos/rifle with ammo in belly and a knife.

Im with you on all the above, but when Im expecting the Great Migration to go through, I usually have two spare shells....
A sling is a rarity these days....sometimes use it to carry the rifle back out if Im dragging something dead, but frankly, Im getting to old for that schitt.

My last Axis...shot from a quickie brush blind...guide comes to pick me up- he is my age- asks if I got one. Yes...hes about 250 yards off into the bush...

" Lets go back to camp and get a couple young guys...."

THIS is the wave of the future for this kid! laugh
One of the most modern and greatly appreciated things I have purchased recently is one of them little hi-power head lamps. I love that thing! I admit it beats hell outta that old carbide light or that headlamp that used them big azz batteries!!!!! Remember them things????
Well, WhittalinMT wasn't handy.....
That's alright,I can take it. grin
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
One of the most modern and greatly appreciated things I have purchased recently is one of them little hi-power head lamps. I love that thing! I admit it beats hell outta that old carbide light or that headlamp that used them big azz batteries!!!!! Remember them things????

Yeah, you needed a porter to carry the battery.
Yeah...all the new wazoo flashlights are skookum!

Don't know how many critters I gutted with a mini-mag flashlight in my mouth, but the rubber coated super bright Sure Fire types are NICE!
The old black man that lived next to us here on the place blew himself out of the top of a hollow post oak tree when he was a kid, with a can of carbide and a mason jar of water. He was trying to run a coon out. Burned his face pretty bad. Held onto his dogs tail and he got him home! Famous story here in the creek bottom.

I do appreciate good light!
I can vaguely remember carbide+creativity wasn't too bad for fishing.... whistle
Good shiet is good sheit just as too much sheit is too much sheit.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Yeah...all the new wazoo flashlights are skookum!

Don't know how many critters I gutted with a mini-mag flashlight in my mouth, but the rubber coated super bright Sure Fire types are NICE!

Love me some flashlights. My latest is the single AAA LED Maglite. The incandescent ones are almost useless, but the new LED one is awesome, and cheap and light enough that you can afford to buy and carry a couple (cause old guys lose stuff). A little shrink-wrap tubing on the barrel makes holding them in your teeth easier.
Good shiet is good sheit just as too much sheit is too much sheit.

Truer words were never spoken!!!
So does getting the ones that ain't black.
Or camo....:)
Posted By: rost495 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
I won't watch those shows. Got tired of them in the 90s.

I do have a friend, that hunts with us, yes in TX, yes in stands because its a rule on the property we lease.... that I think doesn't wear camo socks or drawers..... but everything else...

Me, I wear whatever, jeans, carharts, whatever, some camo, some not.

I would still wear camo and face paint bowhunting out of a tree though, or some form of dull clothing broken up a bit. Just due to movement and cover the bright white face.

All the other stuff, its fun to make fun of it. None of it really hurts.

But a lot of it sure is nice to be able to buy for weather etc... just ordered a waterproof pack... for full on rainy day hunts. AK finally demanded that.

Now I'm just stupid.

Yeah, we don't use them either, but we usually snip off a walking stick for balance here and there and sure know how to use it if needed.
I'm glad my forming years were spent hunting in Alaska. If it works there, it f*cking works anywhere.

Watched more than a few Yankees that you couldn't tell otherwise. They suffered for it.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
How 'bout a f*%cking "App" to tell you when and where you should hunt...
Sidetrack, but any longer all I want to do is shoot my levers. WTF is that about?
Sidetrack, but any longer all I want to do is shoot my levers. WTF is that about?

Ain't a dang thing wrong with that at all.

Phases. They are usually fun!!!
Posted By: Judman Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
The butt-out tool is pretty awesome. I like to shove it up my own ass when I am chilling out in the middle of the day, between morning and evening hunts.

It's exhilarating.

80% of chicks dig it too.

God damn I just peed!!! Lmfao

A full size backpack (loops optional) simply makes me a better, more capable hunter than I was when I first started out. Chucker Chukar hunting, where I can hike well over 10 miles a day, sometimes close to 20, I can cram everything I need into my bird vest.

Fixt it for you.

I couldn't help myself.

Go sit on your butt-out tool.

Auto "correct" suck it da' ballz.
Posted By: mmgravy Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
You forgot to mention the Dolly Parton scopes.....
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Scopes big enough to see into tomorrow on top of a rifle/cartridge big enough to knock you into yesterday.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16

You wanna fix those two, or you want me to?
...and having to quit shooting with a ton of light left but not enough for their cameras!!!!
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

The grammar Notzi just got slapped.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
If anyone has uber gloves that keep your fingers warm(without balling them up) when it's below zero...

And still allow you to easily squeeze the trigger...

I'm all ears.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Hats are easy, boots are fairly easy but frikken gloves are a pain in the ass!

Because after all these years we've finally figgered out they are really all we need. And they are damn fun!!
And what did we do before monogamous, er homogeneous, boolits?
Starved. whistle
I guess technically lead balls were homogeneous...
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by SamOlson
If anyone has uber gloves that keep your fingers warm(without balling them up) when it's below zero...

I'm all ears.

I just wear light leather gloves and usually keep my hands alternating in my parka pockets ( containing hand warmers) while hunting bunnies and other COLD weather activities. Gloves or worse ,mittens are always to bulky if warm enough alone.
Posted By: Huntz Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16

You have them on wrong.
Originally Posted by SLM

I can't believe you fuggers expect me to be the Grand Poobah, A grammar and spelling Nazi AND proof-read my own posts! cry

[Linked Image]

Its a 'phase' Scott...I went thru it, and single shots....

And of course classic cartridges...

Now with older eyes and bones, pragmatism comes into play...stainless rubber guns with telescopic sights. I don't care if I scratch them, and it seems nothing gets out from in front of them alive. Most of the time my hunting is now focused on turning charismatic mega-fauna into biomass for my freezer... grin

In the most efficient way possible.
Originally Posted by SLM

I can't believe you fuggers expect me to be the Grand Poobah, A grammar and spelling Nazi AND proof-read my own posts! cry

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty impressed you do as good as you do at your age.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MagMarc Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Like this?
[Linked Image]
Getting touchy in your (much,very much) advanced age.
Posted By: jimy Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16

Give Ragwool a try, they were better when they were made in America, but of course that's not the case any longer, but they are still warm as hell!
Posted By: mathman Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by mmgravy

I have a Steyr Mannlicher L full stock carbine in 308 Winchester. It's a delight to carry, but for several reasons it's the least group shooting oriented rifle I own. I topped it with a little 1.5-4x20 Leupold that has short turrets marked in .1 mil increments.

After zeroing it at 100 yards, adjusting the turret scales to zero, and firing a few confirmation shots I had four rounds left so I moved to 300 yards. I tacked up a folded over sheet from a canary pad as a target, went back to the firing line, put on 1.4 mils of up, and shot those last four rounds into a well centered group just a hair over moa.

Not bad for an "A-cup" scope. grin
Posted By: BullShooter Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16

Ingwe-
Assuming the blue tape was being used on the muzzle to keep crud out of the barrel, have you really seen it on a Bubbavision show? Has Cabela's ever run a special on blue tape?

A rifle with blue muzzle tape may signal that the taper-upper is a 24HrCampfire regular.

--Bob
Nothing wrong with those A-cup scopes mathman. That is all I use around here in the brush!
Would 34mm tubes be termed cankles, regardless of cup size?
Posted By: handwerk Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
we don't have TV, what are you guys talking about?
Posted By: cdb Re: How did we ever.... - 07/03/16
Ingwe, are your thongs real leopard skin or just leopard skin print?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Would 34mm tubes be termed cankles, regardless of cup size?

Big-boned.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by cdb
Ingwe, are your thongs real leopard skin or just leopard skin print?

Depends (no pun) on the forum being visited.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
Ronnie

Yes, whispering, with acid-rock music blasting in the background...
Posted By: milespatton Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I absolutely abhor camo stuff.. Can't stand it. Won't wear it.

Around here, about anything that will keep you warm and not make a lot of noise in the brush, will be camo. You would have to mail order anything else and I like to try things on before I buy. Hard to find things that fit me. miles
Posted By: battue Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Yet one thing remains constant at least here in Yankee land. Stop into a gas station early AM to pickup some food essentials for opening day and Snicker bars are flying off the shelf. The rest of the year they pretty much go stale.

Old timer or young buck geared to the hilt, odds are they both are carrying a couple Snicker bars.

Posted By: battue Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Many of the new Upland hunters of today are also not as coordinated as those of the past. Working a pump shotgun is something they equate to a fine tuned athletic skill.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I seen a guy (happened to be a full-blooded southerner visiting up northwest) jack out 4 unfired shells from his new 3.5" 12ga at the sight of a ruffed grouse! Same guy a few weeks later bought a turkey hunting vest that had a fold out seat! Damm I busted up laughing at him so hard, I don't think we ever got along much after that... All defensive he says sheepishly something like, "what would you sit on?" Of course I say MY ASS! laugh
Posted By: jwall Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by BullShooter

Ingwe-

A rifle with blue muzzle tape may signal that the taper-upper is a 24HrCampfire regular.

--Bob

Yep. I'd never even seen a pic of 'blue tape' on a rifle muzzle before

I joined the 'Campfire'.

Jerry
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by kid0917

Yes, whispering, with acid-rock music blasting in the background...

Actually........ whistle
All of this and I forgot to mention the little smoke bottles that let you know which way the wind was blowing...

Honest to god I saw a show with a guy using one of those in front of a campfire....

Never occurred to him to watch the smoke from the fire...
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Like this?
[Linked Image]

Nice looking M64.......
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Like this?
[Linked Image]

Nice looking M64.......

Ain't that the Model 64 he got from some decrepit OLD FAT dude that was afraid of the rifle's recoil that lives in Montana? whistle
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Can you see me in this photo?

I'm wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt. And a straw hat.

[Linked Image]
I heard that he bought it from "The Most Interesting Man in the World"...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wageslave Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I have embraced the modern hydration systems.
My Platypus (sp) and hooch go together like peas and carrots....

[Linked Image]

I thought Marc was The Most Interesting Man in the World or at least that is what his business card says. smile
No, but he looks more like that guy...

I look more like Tom Selleck.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by battue
Yet one thing remains constant at least here in Yankee land. Stop into a gas station early AM to pickup some food essentials for opening day and Snicker bars are flying off the shelf. The rest of the year they pretty much go stale.

Old timer or young buck geared to the hilt, odds are they both are carrying a couple Snicker bars.

In this neck of the woods its Little Debbie cakes,we never go hunting without her laugh
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

[Linked Image]

I thought Marc was The Most Interesting Man in the World or at least that is what his business card says. smile

That's when I was younger. Now I'm the guy that wants to be left the hell alone wink
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
No, but he looks more like that guy...

I look more like Tom Selleck.
Yeah,20 years ago,now you look like......

whistle
20 years ago I looked like Nick Nolte.

I have matured and even gotten more handsomer... grin

I didn't know a big beer belly was the sign of maturity grin

Its also a sign of prosperity.

Its all good.
Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
If your prosperous, should send that dime raise back to Social Sec folks, maybe they would send it to me, who didn't get one this year. Apparently I have not been a steller retiree.
Posted By: milespatton Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

All of those shows are on the air to sell you something, I guess they figured they could not sell you a campfire. miles
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

In this neck of the woods its Little Debbie cakes,we never go hunting without her laugh

Yeah! We always get the ones with the little candy rat turds on em!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Dang, I couldn't gag that stuff down when I was 10 (long ago and far away).

Now Hostess cupcakes and Twinkies are another matter! Used to try Snoballs periodically, but they never got any better; a classic example of looking better than they taste. Now, they all taste like crap, thanks to NAFTA, I suppose.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

Its also a sign of prosperity.

Its all good.

That is good to know, when can I expect the prosperity to kick in for me?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Now Hostess cupcakes and Twinkies are another matter! Used to try Snoballs periodically, but they never got any better; a classic example of looking better than they taste. Now, they all taste like crap, thanks to NAFTA, I suppose.

They are an acquired taste!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

And my last question, have I been watching too many hunting shows on the Bubbavision Channels?????

shocked

This is serious stuff......I mean it. Keeps me up nights. smile

Shooting sticks are OK when you need them but I don't generally carry them since I walk part of the day and sit a little so they are a PITA. I cut one from a sapling if I need it when taking a stand. Besides I have a shooting sling.

I borrowed Skanes sticks in Kansas but that was deliberate stand hunting;and littered the countryside leaving his shooting sticks behind last year...just not used to using them I guess.

I have rarely in my whole life seen anything that ruins the lines of an otherwise good looking custom rifle than a gear shifter bolt handle. They don't even seem all that functional,and look like a huge tumor on the side of a Brazilian Super Model.Incredibly ugly.

For a proper bolt handle look at a Kimber, M70, or Dakota M76.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
And how did we have friends and cultivate meaningful relationships before al gore invented the internet?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
probably never see this on a hunting show...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: horse1 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

I'm all ears.

Assuming you're not stationary, Manzella soft-shell w/windstopper. They'll fend a little moisture, allow you to "feel" a ~2# trigger, and have enough dexterity to allow a quick reload of 20ga shells into either a repeater or break action.

I hate camo, but I do love the newer fast-dry or never-wet materials. I like Merino wool, silk weight synthetics, windstopper, and soft quiet fleece.

The ever-present LRF has made me better at judging range without it. I also no longer use a "top of the back" hold on every critter and shoot over most of them.
Posted By: bushrat Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
All of this and I forgot to mention the little smoke bottles that let you know which way the wind was blowing...

Honest to god I saw a show with a guy using one of those in front of a campfire....

Musta been one of the new smokeless campfires...
Originally Posted by Pappy348

They are an acquired taste!

Nah, love at first bite for me smile

I have matured and even gotten more handsomer... :grin:
Need your eyes checked.

Here is an eye test for you,how many fingers am I holding up?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I think stuff like this happens every generation.

Remember when they said cartridge rifles were a fad? Or smokeless powder would never catch on? (Or even catch fire?) Give me a powder horn and a canteen full of really warm, swampy tasting, warm water. In a sheep skin. Whose contents were really warm...

I too, have noticed the switch to camo and backpacks. More animals are wearing this stuff. I think they've been watching the hunting shows. There is also the possibility that the anti-hunting crowd have been dressing them.

That said, some of these changes aren't as new as you think. Whether it's camo or plaid, big game has been adapting for years. This is something that happened to me. In this case, the deer were dressing like hunters.

I won't bore you with the whole story.
---

[Linked Image]

The Deer Wore Plaid!
Copyright 2005 - Stephen Redgwell

At the lodge, we have a trophy wall where members hang pictures of their hunting trips. Most photos are run of the mill poses of grinning guys with a deer, a bear or a moose. It’s standard stuff, but there are a few unusual items. My favourite is the deer with the plaid shirt and cap on.

The picture was taken a few years ago when my best friend Kerry Chaplin and I were on our annual deer hunt. That trip was one of the worst ever! The weather was horrible and we had nothing but bad luck from beginning to end.

Every year, we leave Stumpville and go south for a few weeks of fun chasing whitetails. We live in a small trailer, cook outside and swap lies around the campfire. For thirty years, the first few in a tent, the two of us filled our tags and rounded out the larder with a moose later in the season. One particular year was very different though. That was the year the deer wore plaid...
---

Need your eyes checked.

Here is an eye test for you,how many fingers am I holding up?
[Linked Image]

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Jerry
Posted By: SKane Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

I watch a bit of Bubbavision and I'd say this one ranks at the top in me wanting to reach into the tube and slap the stupid out of them. Sitting in one spot for hours on end and don't have the foresight to range various landmarks ahead of time. crazy
Posted By: JDK Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Stopped watching hunting shows years ago and haven't missed them one bit.

I'm completely tackle bound when it comes to fishing. Downriggers, fish finders, GPS, and more lures and rods than you can shake a stick at.

Deer hunting, I carry a rifle, knife, rope, few matches, and compass.
How do I manage lugging shooting sticks ? ? smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's such a pain and hard to pack... cry cry
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

17.6 OUNCES !! whistle

cry cry cry cry cry cry

They'll come in handy IF I contact "Parkinson's" ! !

waaa, waaa, waaa, waaa !

Jerry
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

Around here, it's those Hostess fried pies (apple, cherry, sometimes lemon, or those chocolate cupcakes). I favor the fruit pies, personally.
Originally Posted by jwall
How do I manage lugging shooting sticks ? ? smirk

17.6 OUNCES !! whistle

Jerry

The how is not so much an issue with me as the why...theres lots of stuff to rest a rifle on in the woods...already in place.

The other facet is that Ive spent 45 years hunting in the rocky mountains...if I don't absolutely have to pack it up the hill, I don't.....

I use stix just like yours out on the prairie for walking shooting of gophers and PDs.... Ammo is the bitch to carry there....
I am not too proud to admit one thing on your list - I don't [bleep] around. grin

[Linked Image]
I cannot argue with your results Scott! laugh
On the killing fields with your stix. grin

I like them a bunch better than a bipod...

[Linked Image]
I don't have a problem with bi-pods.

[Linked Image]

Or thumbhole stocks, apparently.
Posted By: SLM Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
Always have the Snipe-Pod on the pack.
Posted By: SLM Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
No, the pack doesn't have loops all over it.

LMAO!

Been waiting to use this....

[Linked Image]
laugh
laugh
Posted By: Steelhead Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I never got the allure of the shocker stock.
Me neither, but my tastes in other things occasionally come into question.....

Been waiting to use this....

[Linked Image]

laugh
I use windicator when archery hunting... There I said it.
Well...I admitted to using stix when hunting gophers.....

And I have a lazer rangefinder.....

If you're fishing for more confessions, ok, I had camo long johns about 15 years ago! LOL
Posted By: T_Inman Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
I never got the allure of the shocker stock.

It took about 5 seconds for that one to click in. I'll be stealing that phrase.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16

[Linked Image]

wink
Posted By: Bugger Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
With a 30-30?
Posted By: Bugger Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
No it was with a flintlock. And then there was a possibles bag, but you remember that I'm sure. That was in the early 1800's...
Posted By: Seafire Re: How did we ever.... - 07/04/16
So you're basically saying I can't just grab a rifle, a water bottle, my 243 or 260, 5 or 6 rounds of ammo... and a sweater and go down the road a couple of miles and just wonder in a 1/2 mile into the woods on the trails, and just hunt for deer anymore?

I need to write down the check list....

I don't even own most of that stuff... How have I survived all of these years without it???
Posted By: SKane Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by dan_oz

[Linked Image]

wink

Dan,
Baggage, or what I prefer to call it - preparation. smile
And I couldn't move the huge, rotted stump I was sitting in.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Ronnie

...after the animal is down.

Pretty ridiculous. I have killed many pounds of meat off the original simple 42" Stoney Point Shooting Stix. I don't go hunting without them.

They are fun, functional, reliable & accurate. What's not to like?
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I have rarely in my whole life seen anything that ruins the lines of an otherwise good looking custom rifle than a gear shifter bolt handle.

Reminds me of Rat Fink.
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ronnie

Thats a favorite too...

I might have done soooooo much better at this hunting if I'd remembered to whisper after the animal was down....
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
I have rarely in my whole life seen anything that ruins the lines of an otherwise good looking custom rifle than a gear shifter bolt handle.

Reminds me of Rat Fink.

Now there's a blast from the past!!!!
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
My hunting and fishing clothing is also my working in the yard or my shop clothing as well. When you find a good look you've got to stick with it!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Ronnie

Thats a favorite too...

I might have done soooooo much better at this hunting if I'd remembered to whisper after the animal was down....
Don't forget the jumping around and high fives at the deceased animal.
And lots and lots of man hugs plus........

" It doesn't get any better than this!" or.....

" I couldn't be happier..." or

" Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord"...

Great shot...............repeated 10 times after he nails the deer at 70 yards.
And lots and lots of man hugs plus........

" It doesn't get any better than this!" or.....

" I couldn't be happier..." or

" Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord"...

Yup! laugh
Or...." When in doubt...back out.We will come back in the morning and look for him..."

After a bowhunter gut shoots something...which is frequently.
Posted By: RWE Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Or...." When in doubt...back out.

Isn't that a birth control method?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Tom,

Your forgot The Counting Of The Tines, as the hero hunter sits behind the dead deer: "Lessee, one, two, three, four, five, six seven, eight, nine.... He's a genuine ten-pointer!"
Posted By: Steelhead Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

Your forgot The Counting Of The Tines, as the hero hunter sits behind the dead deer: "Lessee, one, two, three, four, five, six seven, eight, nine.... He's a genuine ten-pointer!"

That made me laugh. Yep, that cracks me up
Tom,

My bad.....

Bonus 'points' for " kickers and stickers"....

And big time points for any buck " We have a lot of history" with, preferably one with a name like Dennis Rodman, Hollywood, or The Big Nine.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Once got to see an out-take from a Craig Boddington video, where after killing a kudu Craig does the "counting" act with the stripes on the hide--and does a great job of imitating the typical TV deer hero....
laugh
Posted By: bushrat Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Tom,

I'm just happy if my critter still has teeth..
Posted By: T_Inman Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
I rarely watch TV, let alone hunting shows (honestly can't remember the last time I saw a complete show, but it has to be 10+ years) however I remember one where a hunter and his guide were discussing the hunter's Nikon scope and how it is "the best on the market".

I also learned that the T/C contender is THE rifle to have.

I learned a lot from that show, and am a better hunter because of it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
I'd guess the hunting shows are heavily dependent on sponsors, and the marketing "gurus" at the sponsors have a strong influence on how the shows are presented. So no, you will never see guys in t-shirts and jeans killing big deer, and especially not with old rifles smile

Then you have good old competition where people running shows are trying to make theirs more interesting than the 40 other shows that are on the Outdoor Channel & Sportsman TV. So you get fake drama, bad humor, and weird chit.

I do watch the shows occasionally because they show hunting places & methods different than my own, so it's moderately interesting.

Shockey's shows, FWIW, are usually well done. Respectful of the game, well photographed, no goofy fake drama.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16

And big time points for any buck " We have a lot of history" with, preferably one with a name like Dennis Rodman, Hollywood, or The Big Nine.

While reading the paper this morning I had a show on and they shot "Ralphie"!

Jim
Posted By: super T Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Fun thread. I got to watch part of the filming of a hunting show which took place on a large Utah ranch. It cured me from watching those so called hunting shows.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16

Im with you on all the above, but when Im expecting the Great Migration to go through, I usually have two spare shells....
A sling is a rarity these days....sometimes use it to carry the rifle back out if Im dragging something dead, but frankly, Im getting to old for that schitt.

My last Axis...shot from a quickie brush blind...guide comes to pick me up- he is my age- asks if I got one. Yes...hes about 250 yards off into the bush...

Big Mike or Uncle Randy? smile
Posted By: rost495 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Or...." When in doubt...back out.We will come back in the morning and look for him..."

After a bowhunter gut shoots something...which is frequently.

And after a gun shooter shoots one "at the back of the lungs" which is more frequent than bowhunters it seems.
Posted By: jwall Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by rost495

And after a gun shooter shoots one "at the back of the lungs" which is more frequent than bowhunters it seems.

I have seen more P O O R shot placement with archery than modern guns, however...

the WORST incident was the LAST Elk hunting show I watched, which has been at least a year, the 'shooter' made a shot and the partner (guide) said, "Good Shot".

The next scene the Elk was hopping, carrying his right hind leg ! ! sick cry

Yeah! good shot.....NOT! crazy

Jerry
Originally Posted by bushrat
Tom,

And ingwe is throwing fist-pumps if his critter has managed to have grown any. laugh
Just caught this thread.. I seldom watch deer shows, once in a while a bird hunting show or coyotes.. Seldom anything else.. Never bow hunting...
Posted By: bonefish Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Something bothers me about the heavy use of trail cams and the naming of deer.

I love the stoney point shooting sticks/bipod
Posted By: RWE Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by bonefish

I name all my deer.

Meat.
[quote=bonefish]Something bothers me about the heavy use of trail cams and the naming of deer.

I love the stoney point shooting sticks/bipod [/quote

The tail camera's have almost eliminated the surprise factor of seeing a buck that you've never seen before.
Originally Posted by RWE

I name all my deer.

Meat.
I name my deer...hamburger,steak,roast etc....
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Ron Spomer wrote a column a few years ago called "Americans Like to Cheat" or something like that. IIRC it was in one of the Wolfe magazines, Successful Hunter or maybe Rifle.

Basically, Americans will go for whatever makes the hunting easier - i.e. increases the odds of taking game. Trail cameras, rangefinders, artificial field rests, you name it; if it lets someone hike less, shoot further or expend less time in preparation while at the same time get a bigger game animal - it will sell.

And before anybody gets their July 2016 underpants in a wad, yes, it's been that way for a very long time...
Posted By: Bugger Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Hey this all started when someone missed the possibles bag from the 19th century. whistle
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by RWE

I name all my deer.

Meat.
I name my deer...hamburger,steak,roast etc....

I've streamlined, just using an initial for the area, a number for the year, and as little else for the cut: M13BS, I14S, E15Pcs! As for modern marvels, love the vacuum sealer, M13S is still good to go.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Big Mike. grin
Originally Posted by SKane
Tom,

And ingwe is throwing fist-pumps if his critter has managed to have grown any. laugh

That was mean.
Posted By: rost495 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Ron Spomer wrote a column a few years ago called "Americans Like to Cheat" or something like that. IIRC it was in one of the Wolfe magazines, Successful Hunter or maybe Rifle.

Basically, Americans will go for whatever makes the hunting easier - i.e. increases the odds of taking game. Trail cameras, rangefinders, artificial field rests, you name it; if it lets someone hike less, shoot further or expend less time in preparation while at the same time get a bigger game animal - it will sell.

And before anybody gets their July 2016 underpants in a wad, yes, it's been that way for a very long time...

Well, shooting further takes a LOT more work than walking closer....if you are as good as you need to be at it....
Originally Posted by SKane
Tom,

That was mean.

All in good fun, amigo. smile
I was pining for at least a queef in my general direction.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16

Big Mike. grin

Yeah, we tend to do a lot of riding around in those Quiet Boy buggies and tell each other war stories.... smile
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

The tail camera's have almost eliminated the surprise factor of seeing a buck that you've never seen before.

hmmm, I haven't seen those yet. !!

I need a 'TAIL' camera. whistle
laugh laugh

Jerry

Yeah, we tend to do a lot of riding around in those Quiet Boy buggies and tell each other war stories.... smile

I'll bet he's got some dandies to tell.....
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49

laugh laugh

Jerry

Theres a lot of tail cameras being used by the guys in the basement ( .223AI thread...) grin
Posted By: Hogeye Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Jeff Foxworthy made some pretty good hunting videos. The one where he told the couple in the back seat to stop for a minute so he could shoot out the car window without excessive "muzzle bounce" was a classic!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16

I also learned that the T/C contender is THE rifle to have.

This is true.

[Linked Image]

Unless you have one of these:

[Linked Image]

Or this:

[Linked Image]
Once got to see an out-take from a Craig Boddington video, where after killing a kudu Craig does the "counting" act with the stripes on the hide--and does a great job of imitating the typical TV deer hero....

Sounds hilarious !! Would like to see that.

Jerry
Or this.

[Linked Image]
Did a jig when I killed this squirrel. Lazered it at 25 yds WOOHOO!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
When they actually use a rifle, most of them seem to favor some inline faux muzzleloader. Then they miss anyway smirk

laugh laugh

Jerry

Theres a lot of tail cameras being used by the guys in the basement ( .223AI thread...) grin

I actually forgot about the AI thread. Haven't been there in forever.

Jerry

laugh laugh

Jerry

I actually forgot about the AI thread. Haven't been there in forever.

Jerry
You still have your eyesight then. whistle
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

[Linked Image]

That's so K O O L !!

Jerry

Well at 66, I need what I got left. grin

Jerry
Vintage Tail Cam
[Linked Image]
Ingwe,your thread has been hi-jacked.

Dohhh!
Yup,and this time it was not me doing the hi-jacking.

[Linked Image]

Well at 66, I need what I got left. grin

Jerry

Here's your eye test then,is this a deplorable shot of a beaver?

[Linked Image]
Well,,,,,,

It was bound to happen.
Yup,this one is a record,8 pages on topic before being hi-jacked on the 9th page. cool
Yup,this one is a record,8 pages on topic before being hi-jacked on the 9th page. cool

Well. It was a good cause!!!

A "beau geste" so to speak.

Well. It was a good cause!!!

A "beau geste" so to speak.

Yup,whatever that means. grin
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
Being a cheap hunter I wear my old uniform pants. They are like a knife I did not like. I beat the heck out of that thing and it just kept working. I do not like the ACU pattern but the pants were there and easy to clamber around in. I couldn't yet afford a new cool pack (I love new cool things almost as much as old cool things) so I used my good ol' LCE. It is fun to dress up and play but not as fun as really being out there. A light rain makes me think (dream) I can still handle the elements, plus if it is not windy the field has a beautiful soft sound. I like being alone in the woods. I tug on a strap and make minor adjustments, inventory my pockets , pull out the compass and shoot azimuths to recognizable objects (just in case I might have to get out of the stand and look for stuff, like the new flashlight I dropped on the way in) and dream of the old days. Good times!

But if I bought a laser rangefinder I'd better well hit something!

laugh laugh

Jerry

Well 'poobs' himself hit the OFF ramp. whistle

Sorry Ing' but it's not my fault.

Jerry
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Vintage Tail Cam
[Linked Image]

Vintage is good too.

Jerry
Yup,and this time it was not me doing the hi-jacking.

[Linked Image]

Holy Moooooly ! !

[Linked Image]

Yep, by Job, that's a beaver, sure nuff.

Jerry
Good eyes. grin

[Linked Image]

Yeah...that was a tail camera.

Jerry
Thats deplorable.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: How did we ever.... - 07/05/16
A hunting show featuring a 60-year old guy wearing a Woolrich coat and a Stormy Kromer, carrying a Savage lever gun or a peep-sighted Pre-64 Winchester Anymodel would get my attention. But until then...

What I'm really waiting for is someone to come out with specially sized belt sheaths for holding different brands of candy bars. Perhaps, too, a bandolier of Milky Ways, maybe a bladder that dispenses Hershey's Syrup. A show dedicated to the field use of such items would get my nod of approval.

How many miles have I trudged, how many hours spent staring batshit crazy at the same trees, how many years in the cold rain and snow have dulled my senses- all the time lugging crap that I never used, when all I really could have used was another goddam candy bar? grin
Posted By: Blackheart Re: How did we ever.... - 07/06/16
I wouldn't carry all that shyt deer huntin if you paid me. Rifle {often still iron sighted} cartridges, knife, drag rope, bottle of water, good to go.
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/06/16
I also love still hunting deer and hogs in a light rain when it is freezing. Animals like to bed up then and their senses are not as good. Best reason is that my size 13 boots don’t make much noise.

I wear camo top to bottom when I go hunting. We wear camo when we go shopping. When there is a local sporting event, we attend wearing our hunting camo and root for the local team. The two times the local high school won state, we were there rooting for them. We open doors for all the ladies and older men. We smile and say hello to all that we meet. When we go out to eat, we tip more than the normal 15%. All the people where we hunt in West Texas don’t know our names but those we deal with do. When we travel, I live in East Texas and deer hunt in South and West Texas, we wear camo. I wear my camo pants working in the yard at home. Often when I shopping at home, I wear my camo shirts. I and my hunting buddies wear camo to tell the world that hunters are not the bad people the far left make us out to be. Maybe if all hunters did as we do, public opinion of hunters would improve.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: How did we ever.... - 07/06/16
I wear camo when duck hunting, but that's about it.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/06/16

Reminds me of Rat Fink.

Now there's a blast from the past!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How did we ever.... - 07/06/16
Thats deplorable.

so is this... blush

[Linked Image]

but it's amazing on several levels... grin
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Not deplorable,but well worth looking at.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Oh yeah!
Posted By: comerade Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Not deplorable,but well worth looking at.

[Linked Image]
an elk quarter on her back might balance the load somewhat😊
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Thats deplorable.

so is this... blush

[Linked Image]

but it's amazing on several levels... grin

Nice beavers
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Since we're on the subject of beavers, one must understand the flip side.

Hugh the Goliath

In high school they called him Colossus
And the boys were all startled to see
That his gift was as long and as thick as a cuke
That went from his crotch to his knee.

No regular briefs could enclose it
No pant was designed to hold
The root that they spoke of in whispers
And about which legends were told

It was said that when soft, Hugh would use it
Like a rope to tie girls up for fun
When hard, it would shade the cheerleaders
And keep them all out of the sun

Hugh's uncut appendage was famous
Everyone hoped for a glimpse of his prize
All the guys craved his turgid Goliath
All the girls longed to feel its great size

But although its bulk was enormous
And everyone longed for its girth
Hugh died a young man and a virgin
He was buried face down in the earth

The reason, 'twas said, was quite simple
And most geologically sound
If Hugh popped a boner while facing the sky
He'd dig himself out of the ground

- Stephen Redgwell
Posted By: 1minute Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
If I were a youngster taking up hunting today, I could not afford it. Even with my present salary.
Posted By: bangeye Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
Many of the new Upland hunters of today are also not as coordinated as those of the past. Working a pump shotgun is something they equate to a fine tuned athletic skill.

Boy that's the truth showed up with my dads ithaca 16 ga and I swear one guy with the group had never seen a gun w/o a vent rib. You would have thought I was carrying a matchlock. Upland hunting is sadly going the way of fly fishing. It all about the brand of your waders etc. I was at the pond at the local golf course throwing bugs with my old brown glass fenwick wearing a medalist reel. Some guy immediately began telling me how no one could throw a line with one of those even after I caught 2-3 bass while he was talking to me.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: How did we ever.... - 07/07/16
I used to fish without cammo. Frag grenades work better than camo. It was a long time ago.
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/08/16
My dad fished without camo a couple decades before that BD..... whistle

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWE Re: How did we ever.... - 07/08/16
I found camo worked well when I was dating.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/08/16
Originally Posted by bangeye

Boy that's the truth showed up with my dads ithaca 16 ga and I swear one guy with the group had never seen a gun w/o a vent rib. You would have thought I was carrying a matchlock. Upland hunting is sadly going the way of fly fishing. It all about the brand of your waders etc. I was at the pond at the local golf course throwing bugs with my old brown glass fenwick wearing a medalist reel. Some guy immediately began telling me how no one could throw a line with one of those even after I caught 2-3 bass while he was talking to me.

Was using my favorite Model 12 several years ago on a pheasant hunt. Dumb azz kid ( ok he was at least 30) serious as hell comes up and asked me "why are you using a civil war gun???"
Posted By: jorgeI Re: How did we ever.... - 07/08/16
Or plastic stocked guns..
Posted By: Blackheart Re: How did we ever.... - 07/08/16
Originally Posted by bangeye

Was using my favorite Model 12 several years ago on a pheasant hunt. Dumb azz kid ( ok he was at least 30) serious as hell comes up and asked me "why are you using a civil war gun???"
Must just be your usual stupid city fu-cks. Most of the young guys around here hunt with pump guns and use them with proficiency.
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Or plastic stocked guns..

ouch....
Posted By: jimy Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Few guns have the distinctive sound of a Remington 870.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Gadgets, gotta have lots of gadgets.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimy Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
We wore our buckle arctics with our legs wrapped in news paper and bread bags over our socks to keep our feet warm and dry for the first 20 minutes of deer season.
[Linked Image]

And hell...he doesn't even have his full sized backpack or his shooting stix!
Posted By: Ready Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Or Big Eyes binocs...
Yep. binocs need to be a minimum of 10X!
Posted By: Ready Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
On a tripod...
Duh....
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Mine are 12x. grin
Posted By: JSTUART Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
[Linked Image]

That is either extremely old or the artist cheaped out on everything.
Posted By: bushrat Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Originally Posted by JSTUART
[Linked Image]

That is either extremely old or the artist cheaped out on everything.

Gotta be at least fifty years old, he's not carrying an AR or wearing camo.
Mine are 12x. grin

I'm guessing thats a Freudian thing with you and your .460 bunny gun....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Having other people mount scopes for you (seems that happened with the 460)
After over 30 years in the gun biz it never ceased to amaze me how many can't mount their own scopes.

I can't do anything else mechanical, but I can mount a scope....

It is exceeded only by the number of people who can't wind line onto their own fishing reels....
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
What about bein' able to make s'mores?
Mine are 12x. grin

I'm guessing thats a Freudian thing with you and your .460 bunny gun....
whistle
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
What about bein' able to make s'mores?

I can make my own smores.... grin
It shows that you can make your own s'mores.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
After over 30 years in the gun biz it never ceased to amaze me how many can't mount their own scopes.

It is exceeded only by the number of people who can't wind line onto their own fishing reels....

The thing that absolutely shocks me are the people that cannot sharpen a knife or keep a sharp one going, and people that work with knives are just as bad at it as the general populace.

I have made damn sure my daughter can use a steel and maintain a blade...and it is amusing when my seventeen year old lass gets home and fumes about all the dills that can't sharpen or maintain knives where she works.
Time now for Mysteries of the Outdoors with Captain Captain and Private Practice

Brought to you by Mel's Hardware and Lumber

Episode Four - Smells

Pvt. Practice: Capt. Captain, sir, I've got a question. After a few daze of walkin' around in the bush, I smell bad. Is there anything I can do?

Capt. Captain: Yes Private, there is. You can...

Pvt. Practice: Oh boy! Finally a solution to a problem I've been having since before puberty. You, bein' smart and educated and stuff, can help me get back in good with my former friends, who, after huntin' with me for a day or so, all said the same thing.

"Phew! You smell like a polecat that fell into a septic tank!"

Capt. Captain: I see...

Pvt. Practice: You reek like a soft coyote turd on a hot, humid day...

Capt. Captain: I see...

Pvt. Practice: You stink like tent full of Muzzies with the trots...

Capt. Captain: Shut up!

Pvt. Practice: Sorry. I'm just so excited! Capt. Captain, sir. You are my idol...

Capt. Captain:: Naturally.

Pvt. Practice: But I am my ideal...
---

Join us again next week when Capt. Captain says, "Always leave the woods cleaner than when you got there! Did you remember to bring the oak laminate, private? We have to refinish the forest floor!"

And Private Practice responds, "What's wrong with pine, sir? It's cheaper!"
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
A few pics from the basement to show how it was done.

High tech anemometer. Also notice the all purpose camo pattern.

[Linked Image]

Sky blue camo.

[Linked Image]

Our shooting sticks were made of natural woods, not some gee whiz plastic.

[Linked Image]

No fancy goo-gaw guthook multi-bladed knives, a regular straight edge, fixed blade knife was all you needed.

[Linked Image]

We caught our own worms for fishing, no cheating by going to the bait store.

[Linked Image]

But mostly men were tough, and women were tough, too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

[Linked Image]

There are a LOT of things to like there! !

Jerry
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16

And, you can install your own Bubba-Buddy!
The Winnington 700 Flabby-Flex Inflatable AR Style Rifle!

I am so glad that we are no longer living in the 1950s. Oh sure, you read a lot of Internet posts about 'the good old days', but we had far too many smelly canvas tents, bias ply tires and heavy, wooden stocked metallic rifles. Oh man, the weight! You had to hunt with a truck in those days - just to transport all your grossly overweight hunting gear! And let's not forget about leather, glass things and bone handled knives. Who thought up that stupid stuff?

Now we have advanced polymers, cell phones, digital technology and the latest innovation by a radical new firearms company, Winnington Arms.

[Linked Image]

Here's the thing: You only have a couple of weeks every year to hunt. You're going to be traveling a great distance into the deepest, darkest bush to chase whitetails or mooses or whatever. Space is at a premium!

By the time you pack the essentials - two or three cellphones, rechargeable cell phone, AA, and AAA batteries, main and back up digital cameras, laptop, tablet, wifi hotspot, satellite uplink antenna, two generators and at least two deep cycle batteries, flat screen television, Gameboy, solar power panels, main and auxiliary inverters, and Nike court shoes, who has room for a heavy 7 pound rifle?

And what's with the old fashioned need for steel? Seriously!

The last few years, I've been at my wit's end trying to fit everything we needed into my Chevy Volt. Luckily, I had a 4x4 'tow behind' trailer to haul most of my electronics, but I always ended up strapping my rifle and accessories to the top of the car! And frankly, I was worried that my rifle, tree stand, rangefinder, 2 way radios, gpses, spotting scope, boots and ammunition were too heavy and would dent the roof.

And where would I pack my clothes?

Thankfully, some of the burden has been eased with the new Winnington 700 line of inflatable Flabby-Flex rifles. Yes, you have to get an air compressor, but it's only a couple of pounds, instead of an 8 pound conventional steel rifle.

Winnington really pulled out all the stops when they designed the W700. They were available in late 2015 in 270, 308 and 30-06. The Winnington rep told me that more calibres are on their way in the fall. And they thought of every hunter. This year we'll be getting a 223, 243 and 300 Win Mag!

The W700 deflated, weighs 4 oz., and fits into your pants pocket. When inflated, is the same size as an old fashioned wood or plastic stocked metal rifle. I was amazed with their innovative Flabby-Flex technology. The rifle is compact and mushy when collapsed, yet stiff and strong when filled with air! Yeah, you read that right!

But it's not just a rifle. It's a complete hunting system. You get a single shot Flabby-Flex with a 3F scope AND built in camera! 3F stands for Flabby - Fixed - Four - a four power, lifetime warrantied scope that, in side by side tests, beat out Leupold and Zeiss in clarity, brightness and strength. Wow! That's what I call a triple threat!

I wish I could adequately explain how Winnington used modern polymers in their Flabby-Flex line to make this rifle, but they ain't telling! You'll just have to trust me when I say that the rifle, when inflated, is a rock solid performer. Lots of secret patents and high tech went into it. I admit, I was a little apprehensive when I shot it for the first time at the Winnington test range, but everything worked without a hitch. I still got all my body parts. I shot several 1 inch two shot groups at 100 yards. Impressive!

But what about the rest of the rifle?

The camera, with built in video capability, was designed by famous German optics company - Schwanz Optik of the former East Germany. You'll really be amazed!

I got the 30-06 Flabby-Flex for my moose hunting trip last fall. So I'll bet you're wondering, did it work? Heck yeah! I didn't shoot a moose, but I took down a MNR helicopter from almost 800 yards!

[Linked Image]

Get one. They work!
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
The Winnington 700 Flabby-Flex Inflatable AR Style Rifle!

I am so glad that we are no longer living in the 1950s. Oh sure, you read a lot of Internet posts about 'the good old days', but we had far too many smelly canvas tents, bias ply tires and heavy, wooden stocked metallic rifles. Oh man, the weight! You had to hunt with a truck in those days - just to transport all your grossly overweight hunting gear! And let's not forget about leather, glass things and bone handled knives. Who thought up that stupid stuff?

Now we have advanced polymers, cell phones, digital technology and the latest innovation by a radical new firearms company, Winnington Arms.

[Linked Image]

Here's the thing: You only have a couple of weeks every year to hunt. You're going to be traveling a great distance into the deepest, darkest bush to chase whitetails or mooses or whatever. Space is at a premium!

By the time you pack the essentials - two or three cellphones, rechargeable cell phone, AA, and AAA batteries, main and back up digital cameras, laptop, tablet, wifi hotspot, satellite uplink antenna, two generators and at least two deep cycle batteries, flat screen television, Gameboy, solar power panels, main and auxiliary inverters, and Nike court shoes, who has room for a heavy 7 pound rifle?

And what's with the old fashioned need for steel? Seriously!

The last few years, I've been at my wit's end trying to fit everything we needed into my Chevy Volt. Luckily, I had a 4x4 'tow behind' trailer to haul most of my electronics, but I always ended up strapping my rifle and accessories to the top of the car! And frankly, I was worried that my rifle, tree stand, rangefinder, 2 way radios, gpses, spotting scope, boots and ammunition were too heavy and would dent the roof.

And where would I pack my clothes?

Thankfully, some of the burden has been eased with the new Winnington 700 line of inflatable Flabby-Flex rifles. Yes, you have to get an air compressor, but it's only a couple of pounds, instead of an 8 pound conventional steel rifle.

Winnington really pulled out all the stops when they designed the W700. They were available in late 2015 in 270, 308 and 30-06. The Winnington rep told me that more calibres are on their way in the fall. And they thought of every hunter. This year we'll be getting a 223, 243 and 300 Win Mag!

The W700 deflated, weighs 4 oz., and fits into your pants pocket. When inflated, is the same size as an old fashioned wood or plastic stocked metal rifle. I was amazed with their innovative Flabby-Flex technology. The rifle is compact and mushy when collapsed, yet stiff and strong when filled with air! Yeah, you read that right!

But it's not just a rifle. It's a complete hunting system. You get a single shot Flabby-Flex with a 3F scope AND built in camera! 3F stands for Flabby - Fixed - Four - a four power, lifetime warrantied scope that, in side by side tests, beat out Leupold and Zeiss in clarity, brightness and strength. Wow! That's what I call a triple threat!

I wish I could adequately explain how Winnington used modern polymers in their Flabby-Flex line to make this rifle, but they ain't telling! You'll just have to trust me when I say that the rifle, when inflated, is a rock solid performer. Lots of secret patents and high tech went into it. I admit, I was a little apprehensive when I shot it for the first time at the Winnington test range, but everything worked without a hitch. I still got all my body parts. I shot several 1 inch two shot groups at 100 yards. Impressive!

But what about the rest of the rifle?

The camera, with built in video capability, was designed by famous German optics company - Schwanz Optik of the former East Germany. You'll really be amazed!

I got the 30-06 Flabby-Flex for my moose hunting trip last fall. So I'll bet you're wondering, did it work? Heck yeah! I didn't shoot a moose, but I took down a MNR helicopter from almost 800 yards!

[Linked Image]

Get one. They work!
Hot damn the scope is already mounted!!

Steve, you need to write a book, or if you have, another one.

Tom, have you seen Nick Nolte lately. I think he now looks like you...in another five years.

I'm totally surprised that two items haven't been mentioned here (that I've seen) in this historic and classic thread. 'Course you guys are old and passe' and not really up on the times. I'm referring to two items that the 21st Century have brought us in addition to Obama and his cadre of thirty-five year old experts on everything.

But these are actually very useful, even iconic for practicality and usefulness, and have me looking forward to more outdoor excursions. Lest You forget let me remind you, even again, of the barrel deresonator and camo underwear and toilet paper. Is that three?

You guys are such a bunch of lamo's.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16
I am extremely lame. I had to look up what a Roomba was.

I would probably have to look up other stuff too. I just haven't been introduced to them yet.
Posted By: djs Re: How did we ever.... - 07/09/16

shocked

We were just too dumb to know better!!
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Steve, you need to write a book, or if you have, another one...

(Snipped)

...You guys are such a bunch of lamo's.

I'll be sure to do that. smile

In the meantime, I'll post "Why I Don't Hunt with No School Teachers" in the humör section. I may have posted it here a few years ago, but it's too much work to find it. It's easier to repost.
Posted By: ingwe Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Lest You forget let me remind you, even again, of the barrel deresonator ...

You guys are such a bunch of lamo's.

I did indeed completely forget about the Barrel Donut! laugh

[Linked Image]

But we ALL forgot about Plastic Tipped Bullets!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
Which donut is better as a barrel deresonater,chocolate or glazed?
Glazed.

Definitely.
wink
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16

Jelly Filled, SHEESH! laugh
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
How do you know if your barrel needs deresoning???
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
He gets that vibratory tingle running up both legs at the break of the trigger. eek shocked
How do you know if your barrel needs deresoning???
Put the glazed donut on and shoot it. If it shoots better with the donut on,leave it on. wink

Jelly filled donuts are for the plastic stocked firearms. whistle
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
Sorry Ken. I like Gunners answer better!!!

wink
Posted By: jpb Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16

Glazed.

Definitely.

I must beg to differ with the Poobah.

Different strokes for different folks... about 80% anyway according to Travis.

[Linked Image]

John
Posted By: model70man Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
He gets that vibratory tingle running up both legs at the break of the trigger. eek shocked

I can't help it but your post just reminded me of Chris Matthews pissing his pants when he hears Obama talking! grin
Sorry Ken. I like Gunners answer better!!!

wink
Not a problem. grin
Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

John

OK...if that chocolate donut stinks..this is really deplorable.....
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
Fish and fewmets = lover's surf and turf.
Thats deplorable for sure....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
What kind of barrel donut?

Glazed.

Definitely.

Well, duh! Glazed are the best donuts when you're looking for the sweet spot!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: How did we ever.... - 07/10/16
A bagel will hold up better. Don't forget the lox and cream cheese.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by model70man

I can't help it but your post just reminded me of Chris Matthews pissing his pants when he hears Obama talking! grin

laugh sick, I think ;]
Posted By: RWE Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
shocking....

Originally Posted by jpb

[Linked Image]

John
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16

careful you don't get jelly in the barrel smirk
Posted By: gunner500 Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

careful you don't get jelly in the barrel smirk

Everyone knows 'jelly' is better at arresting the vibratory harmonics of a wobbling barrel, you just gotta bite a hole in the middle of the donut before install. grin laugh
Posted By: 5sdad Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Which brings up the whole issue of why anyone calls the damned thing a doughnut when it is a Bismarck.

(Which further brings up the issue of why John Kennedy would want to announce to the assembled multitude that he was one.)
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Wasn't Kennedy more of a Berliner??? laugh

Then there is,,,,

Berliner = Bismarck
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
I know! Just bein' funny!
I figured as much - not everyone is as serious about things as I always am. wink
Posted By: jwall Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Well.........after getting hi-jacked, this thread has become a waste of space. grin

Jerry
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Better?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Better?

[Linked Image]

Kudos on the proper use of "they're".
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16
Not all her brains are in her shirt. grin
Posted By: jwall Re: How did we ever.... - 07/11/16