Or...." When in doubt...back out.

Isn't that a birth control method?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Your forgot The Counting Of The Tines, as the hero hunter sits behind the dead deer: "Lessee, one, two, three, four, five, six seven, eight, nine.... He's a genuine ten-pointer!"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Tom,

Your forgot The Counting Of The Tines, as the hero hunter sits behind the dead deer: "Lessee, one, two, three, four, five, six seven, eight, nine.... He's a genuine ten-pointer!"

That made me laugh. Yep, that cracks me up

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Tom,

My bad.....

Bonus 'points' for " kickers and stickers"....

And big time points for any buck " We have a lot of history" with, preferably one with a name like Dennis Rodman, Hollywood, or The Big Nine.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once got to see an out-take from a Craig Boddington video, where after killing a kudu Craig does the "counting" act with the stripes on the hide--and does a great job of imitating the typical TV deer hero....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom,

I'm just happy if my critter still has teeth..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I rarely watch TV, let alone hunting shows (honestly can't remember the last time I saw a complete show, but it has to be 10+ years) however I remember one where a hunter and his guide were discussing the hunter's Nikon scope and how it is "the best on the market".

I also learned that the T/C contender is THE rifle to have.

I learned a lot from that show, and am a better hunter because of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess the hunting shows are heavily dependent on sponsors, and the marketing "gurus" at the sponsors have a strong influence on how the shows are presented. So no, you will never see guys in t-shirts and jeans killing big deer, and especially not with old rifles smile

Then you have good old competition where people running shows are trying to make theirs more interesting than the 40 other shows that are on the Outdoor Channel & Sportsman TV. So you get fake drama, bad humor, and weird chit.

I do watch the shows occasionally because they show hunting places & methods different than my own, so it's moderately interesting.

Shockey's shows, FWIW, are usually well done. Respectful of the game, well photographed, no goofy fake drama.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

And big time points for any buck " We have a lot of history" with, preferably one with a name like Dennis Rodman, Hollywood, or The Big Nine.

While reading the paper this morning I had a show on and they shot "Ralphie"!

Jim

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fun thread. I got to watch part of the filming of a hunting show which took place on a large Utah ranch. It cured me from watching those so called hunting shows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I still like hunting when it's nasty. I've always liked hunting in the rain, not downpour, but a drizzle.

I don't carry shooting sticks, seldom a sling. My clothing/boots/binos/rifle with ammo in belly and a knife.

That takes care of most things these days.

Im with you on all the above, but when Im expecting the Great Migration to go through, I usually have two spare shells....
A sling is a rarity these days....sometimes use it to carry the rifle back out if Im dragging something dead, but frankly, Im getting to old for that schitt.

My last Axis...shot from a quickie brush blind...guide comes to pick me up- he is my age- asks if I got one. Yes...hes about 250 yards off into the bush...

" Lets go back to camp and get a couple young guys...."

THIS is the wave of the future for this kid! laugh

Big Mike or Uncle Randy? smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or...." When in doubt...back out.We will come back in the morning and look for him..."

After a bowhunter gut shoots something...which is frequently.

And after a gun shooter shoots one "at the back of the lungs" which is more frequent than bowhunters it seems.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

And after a gun shooter shoots one "at the back of the lungs" which is more frequent than bowhunters it seems.

I have seen more P O O R shot placement with archery than modern guns, however...

the WORST incident was the LAST Elk hunting show I watched, which has been at least a year, the 'shooter' made a shot and the partner (guide) said, "Good Shot".

The next scene the Elk was hopping, carrying his right hind leg ! ! sick cry

Yeah! good shot.....NOT! crazy

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bushrat
Tom,

I'm just happy if my critter still has teeth..

And ingwe is throwing fist-pumps if his critter has managed to have grown any. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Just caught this thread.. I seldom watch deer shows, once in a while a bird hunting show or coyotes.. Seldom anything else.. Never bow hunting...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Something bothers me about the heavy use of trail cams and the naming of deer.

I love the stoney point shooting sticks/bipod

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bonefish

I name all my deer.

Meat.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[quote=bonefish]Something bothers me about the heavy use of trail cams and the naming of deer.

I love the stoney point shooting sticks/bipod [/quote

The tail camera's have almost eliminated the surprise factor of seeing a buck that you've never seen before.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by bonefish

I name all my deer.

Meat.
I name my deer...hamburger,steak,roast etc....

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, Anaconda, anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 8 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,529
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.