Home
given the onslaught of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC?
I have been working part-time behind the gun counter of a major outdoor retailer for the past 13 years.

Up until early last year, maybe spring, I had never, not once, been asked about the 6.5 Creed. Then, almost overnight, every 3rd guy wants a 6.5 Creed.

I figure one of the long distance 'hunting' shows must have featured the cartridge.

The OP can sleep well at night, as the sales of 30-06 and 308 are still brisk. Seriously, how can you go wrong with either?
They are all fine cartridges, I’m taking 30-06’s next weekend when rifle season opens.
Not everybody follows the fads
Rest assured, I ain't "onslaughting" either one of those...
I'm keeping my .308's (4) and my 30-06 (1).
I have one 6.5 PRC It's a good round and a nice rifle, it's very accurate. Shooting 127 gr. Barnes LRX or Burger 140 VLD Hunter bullets. I'm not sure how long the later will stay in my gunsafe.

Saying this, I have no plans to remove any of the other rifles.
Once everyone that thinks they need one has it, things will slow down, just like the shorty mags that preceded it. Since the Creed is a better cartridge for the things most of us do, it's joined the list of standards that the WSMs didn't quite make, so will continue to sell steadily. I'm guessing its biggest impact with hunters will be on the .243 and maybe the 7-08.
Well I have a .30-06 and a 7mm-08. I don't see the purchase of a 6.5 any time soon.
I was a bit surprised that my small mom n pop gun store didn't sell many if any 6.5 Creed rifles. I had stopped in maybe a year ago, and i believe he had one on display. Said seems like nobody around here wants one. Hmmm.... But just an hr away there is another small gun store that if you look on his gun racks, I would say at least 50 % of his new guns are 6.5 Creedmoore rifles. The difference there is that the owner sings their praises loudly to anyone, and I believe he pushes them pretty hard. Makes me wonder how hos sales would be if he gave it the same chance that the other chamberings have in his store. If I remember right, both he and his wife use one. Of course that will "poison the well" so to speak!
Most of the hunters around here are just that, hunters. Some are farmers that probably don't keep up with what is happening in the firearm world. To them, the gunstore owner knows a lot. Had he used and loudly sung the praises of a 308, and carried mostly 308 in his store, I am sure he would sell lots of 308's
EVEN WORSE, I have a 270 Win in an 8# rifle I hunt with. Disgusting I know. But every time i send one of those horribly low BC bullets into the vitals of an animal the same thing keeps happening. Hard Pass on the 6.5's for me
I just bought a 30-06 a couple weekends ago. If I run across one for a good deal, I'll snag it for sure...:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have two nice 30.06 and a nice 308 on sale in a local store and have lowered the price three times in seven months and they have not moved. The Kimber 30.06 with two sets of rings and the CDS dials to match at $875. Rem. 700 stainless .308 BDL with Kimber ring mounts at $525 and a push feed Win. 70 with Burris scope for $400. Dealer tells me the only thing that sells are "cheap", AR's or long range stuff. I used to buy lots of used 30 cal. stuff when I got a good price, put some time in them and then sell them for about what I paid or make a little. It was fun but those days are done.
I’ve only got 308s at this point. Don’t see it changing...though I dearly love the 7-08 as well as the 7x57
Not sure if location has much to do with it but around here every other gun on the rack is a Creedmoor. Not that I mind I
Iike them. Believe I bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor in 2014. Addd several since.

But I also bought another 30/06, have several 308’s as well. But yes it’s my opinion that the 308 and other short action carts will suffer more than the ‘06.
308’s are thriving in my gun room. I have 8, I think.
Originally Posted by Quak
I’ve only got 308s at this point. Don’t see it changing...though I dearly love the 7-08 as well as the 7x57

So, consolidate with a 280. laugh
I see no difference in their popularity today from what I saw around here 20 years ago
I just re-rebought a 30-06...no need for a 6.5 Snoflake
Just picked up a 30-06 (pre 64 fwt), been watching for one for quite a while. Pretty versatile rifle up here!
I've got one of each already and not planning on buying any more. Haven't shot the .308 in probably 15 years as it is. My .30-06 is my rainy weather rifle {stainless synthetic} and if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't use it much either. Just no need for such cannons here in the Northeast. Years ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods during deer season around here wthout hitting somebody carrying a .30-06. I see far fewer in recent years and many more carrying 6.5 creeds, 7mm-08's, .243's and .223's.
I've sold maybe three rifles in 6.5 Creedmore over the last 6 months with two of those being in the last two weeks. Coworker's have sold a like number in total over the same time frame. In comparison, I've sold 4 rifles in 308 and at least a half dozen in 30/06. I don't know how many of these my coworker's sold but I would guess more than me as they spend more time behind the gun counter.

I've looked at the Creedmores but don't see them giving me anything I don't already have. Maybe when I shoot out the barrels of the two 260 Rems, two 7mm/08, three 308s, and four 30/06 rifles I have I'll give the 6.5 Creedmore a try. That might be a while.
I broke down and bought a 6.5 Creed in the Thompson Center Compass rifle when the local Bass Pro put them on sale at $229 less a 5% military discount. After tax and CCI check I walked out of the store with the gun for less than $250. The gun weighs 6-12 by itself and with a Leupold VX-
Freedom ($149 shipped), rings and an Allen neoprene sling, weighs less than 8 lbs and I have less than $450 in it. It has a Model 70 style adjustable trigger and bolt shroud safety, and the factory says they guarantee it will shoot 1" with "premium ammunition." Haven't tried it yet. I have a Pre-64 Fwt in 30-06 that will do much more than this gun will, at the same weight, but I just wanted to step down a notch for hunting antelope. A 140 gr. 6.5 at 2800 has the same drop curve as a 30-06 180 gr. with less energy, less recoil and better wind bucking ability. This is all book learning, of course. I'll have to see how it does on goats next year. (I dont normally shoot over 300 yds, and my 7 Mag with 140 Hornadys just blows through them at that distance, and weighs about 1 1/2 lbs more.) I guess I just "needed" a new rifle.
I have a fine M-70 Classic Super Grade .30-06 and a M-700 SPS 7MM-08 for rainy days. Hopefully, I will get a .375 Ruger in some fashion to add to this if I can arrange a hunt for something that would justify a need for one. Other than that I have no desire or need for any other centerfire hunting rifle. I just don't see any reason for it, but I am an old crumudgeon and set in my ways.
Originally Posted by 16bore

I see a lot of used 6.5s for sale here in Canada these days. I think the initial sale bubble is bursting and will flatten out a bit. In the long run, they will all sell.

A 6.5 and 30-06 would be a good pairing. A lightweight 6.5 for deer and a heavier 30-06 for moose. Add a 223 and you're set. All bases covered with 3 rifles.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've got one of each already and not planning on buying any more. Haven't shot the .308 in probably 15 years as it is. My .30-06 is my rainy weather rifle {stainless synthetic} and if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't use it much either. Just no need for such cannons here in the Northeast. Years ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods during deer season around here wthout hitting somebody carrying a .30-06. I see far fewer in recent years and many more carrying 6.5 creeds, 7mm-08's, .243's and .223's.

There is a place for the 30-06 in the northeast. It's called concurrent Bear seasons. And if you go further northeast it's called Moose season. All great reasons for a 30-06.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
but I am an old crumudgeon and set in my ways.
You are certainly not alone on the fire!!!
laugh
Originally Posted by moosemike

There is a place for the 30-06 in the northeast. It's called concurrent Bear seasons. And if you go further northeast it's called Moose season. All great reasons for a 30-06.
I don't worry about bears. Shot one back in 86 and that was enough. It died nicely from one well placed 170 gr. .30-30 bullet. Have seen several since and never felt the urge to shoot another. Don't care for the meat and don't want to take time away from my deer hunting to deal with it. If I did, I'd be completely comfortable doing so with any of my usual .30-30, .243 or 6.5 creed deer rifles. There is no moose season here and I doubt there will be in my lifetime so ain't gona worry about it. If I lived in a state that has a moose season I probably would use the .30-06.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 16bore

I see a lot of used 6.5s for sale here in Canada these days. I think the initial sale bubble is bursting and will flatten out a bit. In the long run, they will all sell.

A 6.5 and 30-06 would be a good pairing. A lightweight 6.5 for deer and a heavier 30-06 for moose. Add a 223 and you're set. All bases covered with 3 rifles.

Quit making sense laugh

Truth is however, the 6.5 will handle moose perfectly... reference Scandinavia.

Me, I’ll stick with the 308...
Everybody that wants a 308 or 30-06 already has one, or three, maybe more. I saw some production numbers last summer that indicated that 30-06 in particular had slipped quite a bit. 308 some, but less so. Years ago any new rifle that was introduced would have 30-06 as an option. There have been some new models introduced recently where 30-06 wasn't even an option. And I wouldn't be surprised if 6.5 sales are leveling off. Once again by now most of the people who want one have one.

There are too many 308 and 30-06 rifles out there to worry about them going away. But the 6.5CM is currently out selling both. And I expect the trend to continue.

Here are sales numbers from Christensen Arms for 2018. 52% of the rifles they sold were 6.5 CM, the 308 accounted for only 6% and 30-06 is lumped together with "other". They don't even offer 30-06 in most of their long action models.

https://christensenarms.com/blog/most-popular-rifle-chamberings/

I don't worry about bears. Shot one back in 86 and that was enough. It died nicely from one well placed 170 gr. .30-30 bullet. Have seen several since and never felt the urge to shoot another. Don't care for the meat and don't want to take time away from my deer hunting to deal with it. If I did, I'd be completely comfortable doing so with any of my usual .30-30, .243 or 6.5 creed deer rifles. There is no moose season here and I doubt there will be in my lifetime so ain't gona worry about it. If I lived in a state that has a moose season I probably would use the .30-06.

You said there was no need for a 30-06 in the northeast. I pointed out there are Bear, Moose, and even Elk. Had you said there was no need for one in New York, I would've stopped at Bear.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Everybody that wants a 308 or 30-06 already has one, or three, maybe more. I saw some production numbers last summer that indicated that 30-06 in particular had slipped quite a bit. 308 some, but less so. Years ago any new rifle that was introduced would have 30-06 as an option. There have been some new models introduced recently where 30-06 wasn't even an option. And I wouldn't be surprised if 6.5 sales are leveling off. Once again by now most of the people who want one have one.

There are too many 308 and 30-06 rifles out there to worry about them going away. But the 6.5CM is currently out selling both. And I expect the trend to continue.

Here are sales numbers from Christensen Arms for 2018. 52% of the rifles they sold were 6.5 CM, the 308 accounted for only 6% and 30-06 is lumped together with "other". They don't even offer 30-06 in most of their long action models.

Yeah because obviously we know Christiansen is a mainstream company and very representative. smirk

You said there was no need for a 30-06 in the northeast. I pointed out there are Bear, Moose, and even Elk. Had you said there was no need for one in New York, I would've stopped at Bear.
And indeed there is no "need" for a .30-06. Scandinavians have been killing moose with their 6.5x55's for over a century. I'm sure my 6.5 Creedmoor would get the job done just as well here.

Yeah because obviously we know Christiansen is a mainstream company and very representative. smirk

Data point. I find it interesting, and appreciate his posting it.

Christiansen is a rapidly growing company gobbling up market share.

How many rifles did you buy this year?
Originally Posted by kingston

Too many according to my wife. Christiansen who?

And indeed there is no "need" for a .30-06. Scandinavians have been killing moose with their 6.5x55's for over a century. I'm sure my 6.5 Creedmoor would get the job done just as well here.

Well with that line of thinking I know Elephants have been killed by 6.5's so apparently there is no need for anything bigger than a 6.5 anywhere for anything.

Too many according to my wife. Christiansen who?

Really, how many? More importantly, how many new rifles?
Moosemike, Did you buy any new rifles this year? If so, what are they?
I'd want something bigger for dangerous game but would be comfortable with the 6.5 for anything in the Northeast. Honestly the only reason I have the .30-06 is because I had been wanting a stainless/synthetic rifle for rainy days and this 77 Hawkeye all weather .30-06 was just too good of a deal to pass up.
Did you buy any new rifles this year? If so, what are they?
I just bought a Browning BL-22. Cute little bugger.

Well with that line of thinking I know Elephants have been killed by 6.5's so apparently there is no need for anything bigger than a 6.5 anywhere for anything.

Elephants aren’t moose, and it’s been an ice age since anything elephant like was hunted in Scandinavia.
Moosemike, Did you buy any new rifles this year? If so, what are they?

Too many to recall. laugh
A couple years back, my BIL called and asked about which chambering to get his adult son (who had never shot a centerfire rifle) for a Christmas present. The salesman at Bass Pro had recommended 30-06. The intended use was deer here in Missouri. Without hesitation I recommended 7-08. My wife and I have been hunting deer in central MO for almost 20 years now, and other than a couple of exceptions, all of our deer have been taken with 7-08, 7-08ai, 308 win, or 243 win. I'm the one shooting 243 now, just because I like it and it works. Hope still shoots a 7-08 because she has used that round to take a couple of nice elk at ranges of 300 to 400 yards, and she just has confidence in the round. 30-06 works fine, for sure, but it is overkill. I can't think of a scenario, where a 30-06 would be needed over a 7-08 on deer (or elk for that matter). If you want more recoil, more muzzle blast and more weight - power to you, but a 7-08 or 6.5 Creed is more than enough for 99% of hunters in 99% of the hunting scenarios they will face.
Let me say right off that, unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity, yet, to shoot an elk nor a moose. However, I have killed numerous deer and hogs with both a .30-06 and a 7MM-08. I agree that a 7MM-08 is plenty of gun for deer. Having said that, I would be a bit reluctant to hunt elk with a 7MM-08, but would do it if there was no other practical choice. A .30-06 would work OK for elk or moose, but what I really want for them would be a .375, especially if there are bears around. Which there usually are in those habitats. Yeah, I know some people kill 'em with a stick and a string, but I believe in using enough gun. If you use a minimum size cartridge you have no room for error and the animal suffers. I try to make good shots, but I am not always perfect and things do happen sometimes. JMHO, YMMV, but again, like I first stated, I have never shot an elk, bear, nor a moose. Take care and aim well.
Interesting to read how many on this thread think a .30-06 is necessary for killing black bear, elk or moose--and in particularly justify using a .30-06 (or .308) because of black bear in the Northeast.

That pretty much used to be the attitude here in Montana for elk hunting, but the big reason was cup-and-core bullets, because a typical 180-grain C&C from the .30-06 would hold together and penetrate better on elk. But that changed with so many new bullets appearing over the decades--along with more elk, which meant they could be found more often in open country, rather than thick timber, where they could be shot more precisely at better angles. I don't run into to nearly many of the "at LEAST a .30-06 with 180's" guys much anymore, and even my friends who used to use the .338 a lot have generally gone to smaller-caliber cartridges--a few even to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Obviously they're incredibly misguided, but one of my New York friends who hunts the Adirondacks a lot killed his most recent black bear (a good-sized boar) with one shot a real oddball round, which might be called the .25 Creedmoor, since its on basically the same basic case but without the body being blown out so much. If I recall correctly he calls it the .250 Savage, and the bullet he used was some new-fangled model called a Partition, made by a little company out in Oregon.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting to read how many on this thread think a .30-06 is necessary for killing black bear, elk or moose--and in particularly justify using a .30-06 (or .308) because of black bear in the Northeast.

That pretty much used to be the attitude here in Montana for elk hunting, but the big reason was cup-and-core bullets, because a typical 180-grain C&C from the .30-06 would hold together and penetrate better on elk. But that changed with so many new bullets appearing over the decades--along with more elk, which meant they could be found more often in open country, rather than thick timber, where they could be shot more precisely at better angles. I don't run into to nearly many of the "at LEAST a .30-06 with 180's" guys much anymore, and even my friends who used to use the .338 a lot have generally gone to smaller-caliber cartridges--a few even to the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Obviously they're incredibly misguided, but one of my New York friends who hunts the Adirondacks a lot killed his most recent black bear (a good-sized boar) with one shot a real oddball round, which might be called the .25 Creedmoor, since its on basically the same basic case but without the body being blown out so much. If I recall correctly he calls it the .250 Savage, and the bullet he used was some new-fangled model called a Partition, made by a little company out in Oregon.

Well since I don't hunt Cape Buffalo I'll have to sell my 30-06's now that I know they're no longer needed for anything around here. I'll have to replace them with whatever the latest 6.5 Metrosexual cartridge is.

Elephants aren’t moose, and it’s been an ice age since anything elephant like was hunted in Scandinavia.

Only a kghunt like you thinks we're talking about Scandinavia.
Moosemike, How many new rifles have you bought since January 1st and what are they?
So the gist of this thread is if you hunt North America, s h i tcan everything larger than a 6.5mm?
This thread is pretty typical of the fire... every one has an opinion, but it’s clear not all opinions are created equal. Some are based on conjecture and Outdoor Life, some are based in experience.

It’s pretty easy to see who’s formed theirs how...
On most threads like these I find rationalizing (or irrationalizing grin) of personal prejudices (from both sides of the discussion) and not really on target statements being substituted for real logic.
It makes perfect sense for a new and successful caliber like the 6.5 creed will have an effect on sales of the 06 and 308. It seems it would be easy for the gun business to publish the stats. They use to in the past for both guns and ammunition. Once thing's for sure, it sure has garnered the attention on this forum and media. I still have no need/want for it.
moosemike,

"Well since I don't hunt Cape Buffalo I'll have to sell my 30-06's now that I know they're no longer needed for anything around here. I'll have to replace them with whatever the latest 6.5 Metrosexual cartridge is."

Don't know what you're so upset about--but then I'm generally puzzled by Campfire members who don't get that the choice of hunting cartridges can actually be discussed without any personal implications.

My wife and I own two rifles in .30-06, one of which I've used on more big game animals than any other in my collection since the rifle was acquired in 1996. (In fact may have used it on more big game than any other single rifle I've owned.) Eileen has also used it on at least half a dozen species of big game weighing from around 150 to 700 pounds. It's probably the last big game rifle I'd sell, just because of its history.

We also own four .308's, one of which Eileen used to kill her last elk--which went down promptly at 250 yards from a 130-grain bullet at .300 Savage velocities. (She took her previous elk with a .257 Roberts, which down even quicker.)

Right now I have taken big game animals with 43 different cartridges, ranging from .22 centerfires to the .416 Rigby, including both 20 and 12-gauge slug guns. Have been right next to shooters using another 16 rounds, a couple larger than the .416 Rigby. One of the main things I've noticed over the decades that occurred is that there isn't a hell of a lot of difference in "killing power" between most big game rounds. Instead the major differences are where the bullet lands, and whether it penetrates sufficiently for the game in question. This would astonish many Campfire members who are convinced that X or Y cartridge somehow magic, but there it is.

A good example might be the blue wildebeest of Africa. A big bull weighs around 700 pounds, and is considered one of the hardest to kill of the larger African plains game. Yet I have seen them killed promptly with one chest shot from "deer" cartridges such as the .243 Winchester to 7x57 Mauser, yet go a mile or more (and sometimes lost) with more than one .375-caliber magnum. The bullets used were all "premiums" of one kind or another, and it didn't even seem to make much difference which premium was used, despite how many hunters firmly believe that specific bullets are just as magic as specific cartridges. The wildebeest that went down and stayed down promptly were hit in the right place, with a bullet that did its job.

Plus, I went back and reread this thread, and nowhere did I find a suggestion that you sell or trade off your .30-06's.

I bought 2 .30-06's this year, and no Creedmores. No intention of buying a 6.5 either, but Sportsman's Warehouse in Logan, Utah had one of those Kimber Classic's in 6.5 for $999 with really nice wood. I nearly had a weak moment.

A few weeks ago dad was on a 'mining' trip for lead at the range he is a member of. Trash can diving he found a box of 6.5 Creedmore empty brass. Brought it home in case one of us happens to buy one in the future. Threw me a case along with one from that oddball round you mention .250 Savage (some of the real snobs call it a .250-3000 even) for comparison, "check out what 100 years of advancement gets you" was the sentiment of the conversation.
Cheesy,

Yep, that was one of the first things I noticed about the "completely new cartridge design" 6.5 Creedmoor when I first saw one of the cases nine years ago! It's basically the 6.5/250 Savage Improved, and very close to the RCBS version, which had a 28-degree shoulder.

In fact, in the article I wrote about the 6.5 CM back then, I described how to easily fire-form cases from .22-250 brass using the Cream of Wheat bullet-less method, because Creedmoor brass wasn't very common back then.

One of the main things I've noticed over the decades that occurred is that there isn't a hell of a lot of difference in "killing power" between most big game rounds. Instead the major differences are where the bullet lands, and whether it penetrates sufficiently for the game in question. This would astonish many Campfire members who are convinced that X or Y cartridge somehow magic, but there it is.

I think this simple yet concise statement by Mule Deer nails it. With todays modern bullets, I'd not argue cartridges with anyone, they all work fine if you're capable of putting it in the right place. I would even extend it a little further, rifle bullet, shotgun slug, any muzzleloader bullet be it round ball or other, arrow or crossbow bolt, I've found if you hit a deer right behind the shoulder and take out both lungs, they generally run 35-40 yards and drop, no matter what you hit them with. This is just based on my limited experience, mileage may vary for others. In the thick northeast, if you are quiet, you can literally hear them drop.

I'm not interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor, but again, I'm not a fan of bolt actions. Most of the deer I've shot with a rifle have been with a 760 pump carbine in 30-06. But if Remington came out with a 7600 they are currently manufacturing in 6.5 Creedmoor I'd likely buy one, put a 1.5X4.5 variable on it and go try kill a deer with it. I'm sure it would work just fine.
Originally Posted by wink_man
I'm not interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor, but again, I'm not a fan of bolt actions. Most of the deer I've shot with a rifle have been with a 760 pump carbine in 30-06. But if Remington came out with a 7600 they are currently manufacturing in 6.5 Creedmoor I'd likely buy one, put a 1.5X4.5 variable on it and go try kill a deer with it. I'm sure it would work just fine.

Yes, it would work just fine. Mine killed the two deer I shot with it last season just as quick and just as dead as the two I shot with my .30-06 the year before. I just don't understand why so many of the old codgers on here seem to feel or maybe fear the 6.5 Creedmoor is going to bury their traditional old standby's. I dearly love my .30-30's and .243's for deer hunting and have killed piles with both over the years. The 6.5 isn't going to make them obsolete or take their place but it is a nice addition.
yes the Creedmoors all of the different calibers are just fine for many to use ,i own a couple to play with too. but for me with my old Ruger #1 in a 257 Weatherby Mag. that`s the rifle i prefer and maybe some of the other older dudes feel the same way with their rifle and the cartridge they have killed plenty animals with too. > at my age of 66 years of age i see no reason for me to ever use any other type rifle or cartridge to kill a nice whitetail buck with and other old deer hunters i bet feel the same way with their old deer slayer rifle too.
From what I've seen here in Nebraska, people are mostly buying 243s, 270s, 30-30s, 308s, and 30-06s with which to shoot deer, just like they have been for years.

I have 11 deer tags and am planning to attempt to punch them with a 22-250, a 243, a 257, a couple of 260s, a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors, a 30-30, and a 338 Federal.
Moosemike, How many new rifles have you bought since January 1st and what are they?

Nunya…..
Here in the north amongst the riflemen I know I see in order of popularity....223/556, 308/7.62 as the 1-2. 6.5 cm or anything .264 frankly lacks far behind. It’s all about the Middle aged men playing out their tactical fantasies. Not my cup of tea at all...I’m a hunting/shooting type into classic guns.

Personal implications based on preferred hunting cartridges? Tale as old as time MD. You know that better than any of us!

Me? I’m a .308 win or 7x57 man LOL. I live in the past
Pretty hard to beat for overall hunting needs. I always recommend a 30-06 for a one gun hunter here. With proper bullet selection it is good for antelope to moose.
308 damn it!
Originally Posted by jorgeI
So the gist of this thread is if you hunt North America, s h i tcan everything larger than a 6.5mm?

Your Weatherbys are in big trouble..........
So my 264 is safe?? cool
I still have no need/want for it.

Why not? Get one and a case of 147’s, or load for it if you want, put one of those new fangled turret scopes on it and do some LR, live a little!

Get one in walnut,CRF with a Hensoldt on top so you don’t get ran clean out of the country club.

Nunya…..

PREXACTLY !

Jerry
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I have 11 deer tags and am planning to attempt to punch them with a 22-250, a 243, a 257, a couple of 260s, a couple of 6.5 Creedmoors, a 30-30, and a 338 Federal.

And I thot I had a jackpot of deer tags at 6 ! I normally punch 3-4 / year but have
tagged out some years.

Since my boys are gone, the wife & I can’t eat 6 much less 11.

Every year I give 1 - 1 1/2 deer to my Uncle & Aunt where I hunt.
I also share 2 or 3 with ‘older’ hunter friends that can’t hunt like they used to.

Good luck on 11 tags.

Jerry
I have always seen tons of used 30-06 rifles for sale in my area. Lately, I have been seeing a fair amount of used 308 bolt actions for sale.
Originally Posted by jwall

Nunya…..

PREXACTLY !

Jerry

I interpreted that to mean ZERO too.

The gun industry is making guns for the people who buy them.

Nunya…..

PREXACTLY !

Jerry

I interpreted that to mean ZERO too.

The gun industry is making guns for the people who buy them.

Then you were RONG on another point too.

Just in case you can’t intrepret that —- nunya means it’s none of ya bizness.

Jerry
To you it may read "Too many according to my wife. Christiansen who?" or "Too many to recall. :D" or "none of ya bizness".

Given the context, it means NONE.

The industry of manufacturing and marketing centerfire sporting arms would cease, if they catered to a market who's idea of the perfect rifle is one that, by definition, can only be bought used.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Your Weatherbys are in big trouble..........

And Model 70s and Browning Safaris...Then again, I wouldn't own a 6.5 Creed or a 45/70 on a dare.... and you already know about 700s...
Originally Posted by rosco1
I still have no need/want for it.

Why not? Get one and a case of 147’s, or load for it if you want, put one of those new fangled turret scopes on it and do some LR, live a little!

Get one in walnut,CRF with a Hensoldt on top so you don’t get ran clean out of the country club.

Why? I can shoot as far as i want with my Model 70s or Brownings. And WTF does the country club bullshit come into the equation?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

And I thot I had a jackpot of deer tags at 6 ! I normally punch 3-4 / year but have
tagged out some years.

Since my boys are gone, the wife & I can’t eat 6 much less 11.

Every year I give 1 - 1 1/2 deer to my Uncle & Aunt where I hunt.
I also share 2 or 3 with ‘older’ hunter friends that can’t hunt like they used to.

Good luck on 11 tags.

Jerry

My wife and I only have room for 3 or 4 deer, so I give the rest away to the guys who farm our ground and to HUNTERS HELPING THE HUNGRY. 4 of my tags are for the RIVER GMA that cost $14 each and allow me to take 2 deer. The others are 2 buck tags and 1 season's choice antlerless tags that cost $37.50 each. My son and a friend each have a buck tag and a River tag, so they are hoping to take 3 deer each.

The best thing about the RIVER tags is that they are inexpensive and allow me to take 2 deer for $7 each, so I can use several different rifles and/or loads every year and they are good during 3 different seasons, 10 days in October, 10 days in November, and 15 days in January. Although there are a limited number of RIVER tags, they never sell out, so I can buy them on-line and print them at home if I decide that I want to shoot more deer.

I'm probably more interested in volume deer shooting 'cause deer were hard to find in ME/NH/VT when I was growing up. You had to hunt hard and look just to see a deer, much less tag 1, so I'm making up for those lean years.
I have my young child and my wife in the house and we go through 3 a year at the minimum and I process my own and use everything but the snouts!

My freezer broke last year and we lost all of our meat...several hundred pounds. Needless to say I wouldn’t want to be a deer in front of me this year LOL

I also struck out and didn’t get a bear or elk tag 🤬
An update to 260 & Quak

My wife also can take 6 deer so it’s possible I could take 12 but
I’m not that greedy. < grin>

Jerry
I only own one 30 cal. and it's a 1959 built JC Higgins 51-L 308 that is mostly used for cast bullet shooting. My "big game" hunting these days is 99% whitetail and an occasional antelope when I can draw a tag. The ol 270 and 7-08 mostly sit at the back of the safe anymore, lighter calibers just seem more suited to the quarry. 257 Roberts, 243, and that oddball 25 MD was talking about get by far the most use. It just doesn't seem useful to pick up another cartridge so similar to those I'm already setup for, especially since I'm not into long range games.
In the past few years, I've sold two FN m98 bolt guns ( JC Higgins M50) , one a 30-06, the other a 338-06. I gave my niece a Howa 1500 actioned 308 Win (SW 1500).

In the same time I purchased two used Win m70 BACO sporters ( one an Extreme Weather), one used BACO m70 featherweight 30-06 (sold it 6 months later. I just like the sporter version better). Picked up a used Tikka T3 308 Win Varmint ; blued 24" bbl). Sold off my 357 mag revolvers, a Ruger 44 Special, and S&W m41.

I don't ask for top dollar prices when I sell ( but also don't give them away) so things have sold quick enough for me. I am slowly thinning the herd by eliminating some calibers. Luckily I am in no hurry to sell or "have to" raise cash. So far, so good.

Overall, the market is soft, but there are always people out there, with money, looking for quality stuff for fair prices. People who bought in a panic , at the top of the market are having trouble recouping their purchase prices, so the market is very soft for them.

You need discipline when buying and selling. That has never changed.
Sales are good for .308 and 30-06, still out selling the .270 ten too one!
Me, I like 'em all. It's fun to shoot different calibers and I have rifles chambered for a dozen or so center fire cartridges.ranging from.223 to.375. But for most hunting in North America, it probably doesn't matter much which of those cartridges are used except for personal preference. My first hunting rifle was a .30-06 and I still use one pretty regularly, but I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor which is fun to shoot and is a great low recoil hunting cartridge. The most important factor hasn't changed, and that's hitting the target in the right place.
I'm down to one .308,in a Savage 99, and have no 30-06. Last new guns I bought were 2 243's and a 7/08. I'd like a real nice lightweight rifle like a Fieldcraft in 6.5. Can't say a 30/06 or .308 have any interest for me, although I see nothing wrong with either one. I just think with modern bullets the 6.5 is all I need and I know I'll shoot a lightweight rifle in 6.5 much better than a 30/06.
Picked up a .308 and a 30-06, both Ruger No. 1s this past year. Hard to pass up an opportunity to trade or take advantage of a good price if one likes single shot rifles. The .308 is recent production and like new. IIRC the 30-06 is vintage 1992, has been hunted with,and shows that. Cannot tell if the 06 has a Ruger hammer forged barrel. Still working up loads.

Current project is a 6.5 x 55; Brownells barrel on a VZ24 action , Timney trigger, Buehler safety, Hogue stock. Working up loads but not much range time recently. This one shows promise for subMOA with some loads so I'm not in the hunt for a Creedmoor. But if one popped up I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

One thing about the .308 and 30-06: Ammo is less expensive than other calibers and easier to find in hardware stores and farm stores up north in Michigan rifle zones should one forget ammo or run into a scope problem and have to rezero after burning up the handloads.
Aside from TC Compass and Ruger American, the best hunting rifle deals I've found in mid Michigan have been 30-06s. Weatherby Vanguard, Winchester 670/Ranger and others for less than $350.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Sales are good for .308 and 30-06, still out selling the .270 ten too one!

Statistics & Source please.

I’m highly skeptical.

Jerry
I bought a .30-06 bolt rig this yr.
Steyr Pro Hunter for $599
I bought a Sako Finnlight both in 30-06 this year, great shooting gun.
No Creedmoors for me yet. I think that they would be a great caribou gun but they don't meet the state mandated power requirements for bison. I have bought three 30/06s this last year, one 7X57 and one 300 savage 99.
If someone likes the 6.5 CM, buy it. I'll stay with my boring 30-06 or 7x57. Or maybe my 30-30 mod94. What the heck!
Originally Posted by rifletom
If someone likes the 6.5 CM, buy it. I'll stay with my boring 30-06 or 7x57. Or maybe my 30-30 mod94. What the heck!

You and me both. I l Iike being bored.
© 24hourcampfire