Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've sold maybe three rifles in 6.5 Creedmore over the last 6 months with two of those being in the last two weeks. Coworker's have sold a like number in total over the same time frame. In comparison, I've sold 4 rifles in 308 and at least a half dozen in 30/06. I don't know how many of these my coworker's sold but I would guess more than me as they spend more time behind the gun counter.

I've looked at the Creedmores but don't see them giving me anything I don't already have. Maybe when I shoot out the barrels of the two 260 Rems, two 7mm/08, three 308s, and four 30/06 rifles I have I'll give the 6.5 Creedmore a try. That might be a while.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I broke down and bought a 6.5 Creed in the Thompson Center Compass rifle when the local Bass Pro put them on sale at $229 less a 5% military discount. After tax and CCI check I walked out of the store with the gun for less than $250. The gun weighs 6-12 by itself and with a Leupold VX-
Freedom ($149 shipped), rings and an Allen neoprene sling, weighs less than 8 lbs and I have less than $450 in it. It has a Model 70 style adjustable trigger and bolt shroud safety, and the factory says they guarantee it will shoot 1" with "premium ammunition." Haven't tried it yet. I have a Pre-64 Fwt in 30-06 that will do much more than this gun will, at the same weight, but I just wanted to step down a notch for hunting antelope. A 140 gr. 6.5 at 2800 has the same drop curve as a 30-06 180 gr. with less energy, less recoil and better wind bucking ability. This is all book learning, of course. I'll have to see how it does on goats next year. (I dont normally shoot over 300 yds, and my 7 Mag with 140 Hornadys just blows through them at that distance, and weighs about 1 1/2 lbs more.) I guess I just "needed" a new rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a fine M-70 Classic Super Grade .30-06 and a M-700 SPS 7MM-08 for rainy days. Hopefully, I will get a .375 Ruger in some fashion to add to this if I can arrange a hunt for something that would justify a need for one. Other than that I have no desire or need for any other centerfire hunting rifle. I just don't see any reason for it, but I am an old crumudgeon and set in my ways.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
I just re-rebought a 30-06...no need for a 6.5 Snoflake

I see a lot of used 6.5s for sale here in Canada these days. I think the initial sale bubble is bursting and will flatten out a bit. In the long run, they will all sell.

A 6.5 and 30-06 would be a good pairing. A lightweight 6.5 for deer and a heavier 30-06 for moose. Add a 223 and you're set. All bases covered with 3 rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've got one of each already and not planning on buying any more. Haven't shot the .308 in probably 15 years as it is. My .30-06 is my rainy weather rifle {stainless synthetic} and if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't use it much either. Just no need for such cannons here in the Northeast. Years ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods during deer season around here wthout hitting somebody carrying a .30-06. I see far fewer in recent years and many more carrying 6.5 creeds, 7mm-08's, .243's and .223's.

There is a place for the 30-06 in the northeast. It's called concurrent Bear seasons. And if you go further northeast it's called Moose season. All great reasons for a 30-06.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Henryseale
but I am an old crumudgeon and set in my ways.
You are certainly not alone on the fire!!!
laugh

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I've got one of each already and not planning on buying any more. Haven't shot the .308 in probably 15 years as it is. My .30-06 is my rainy weather rifle {stainless synthetic} and if it weren't for that I probably wouldn't use it much either. Just no need for such cannons here in the Northeast. Years ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in the woods during deer season around here wthout hitting somebody carrying a .30-06. I see far fewer in recent years and many more carrying 6.5 creeds, 7mm-08's, .243's and .223's.

There is a place for the 30-06 in the northeast. It's called concurrent Bear seasons. And if you go further northeast it's called Moose season. All great reasons for a 30-06.
I don't worry about bears. Shot one back in 86 and that was enough. It died nicely from one well placed 170 gr. .30-30 bullet. Have seen several since and never felt the urge to shoot another. Don't care for the meat and don't want to take time away from my deer hunting to deal with it. If I did, I'd be completely comfortable doing so with any of my usual .30-30, .243 or 6.5 creed deer rifles. There is no moose season here and I doubt there will be in my lifetime so ain't gona worry about it. If I lived in a state that has a moose season I probably would use the .30-06.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10/27/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 16bore
I just re-rebought a 30-06...no need for a 6.5 Snoflake

I see a lot of used 6.5s for sale here in Canada these days. I think the initial sale bubble is bursting and will flatten out a bit. In the long run, they will all sell.

A 6.5 and 30-06 would be a good pairing. A lightweight 6.5 for deer and a heavier 30-06 for moose. Add a 223 and you're set. All bases covered with 3 rifles.

Quit making sense laugh

Truth is however, the 6.5 will handle moose perfectly... reference Scandinavia.

Me, I’ll stick with the 308...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Everybody that wants a 308 or 30-06 already has one, or three, maybe more. I saw some production numbers last summer that indicated that 30-06 in particular had slipped quite a bit. 308 some, but less so. Years ago any new rifle that was introduced would have 30-06 as an option. There have been some new models introduced recently where 30-06 wasn't even an option. And I wouldn't be surprised if 6.5 sales are leveling off. Once again by now most of the people who want one have one.

There are too many 308 and 30-06 rifles out there to worry about them going away. But the 6.5CM is currently out selling both. And I expect the trend to continue.

Here are sales numbers from Christensen Arms for 2018. 52% of the rifles they sold were 6.5 CM, the 308 accounted for only 6% and 30-06 is lumped together with "other". They don't even offer 30-06 in most of their long action models.

https://christensenarms.com/blog/most-popular-rifle-chamberings/

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't worry about bears. Shot one back in 86 and that was enough. It died nicely from one well placed 170 gr. .30-30 bullet. Have seen several since and never felt the urge to shoot another. Don't care for the meat and don't want to take time away from my deer hunting to deal with it. If I did, I'd be completely comfortable doing so with any of my usual .30-30, .243 or 6.5 creed deer rifles. There is no moose season here and I doubt there will be in my lifetime so ain't gona worry about it. If I lived in a state that has a moose season I probably would use the .30-06.

You said there was no need for a 30-06 in the northeast. I pointed out there are Bear, Moose, and even Elk. Had you said there was no need for one in New York, I would've stopped at Bear.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
Everybody that wants a 308 or 30-06 already has one, or three, maybe more. I saw some production numbers last summer that indicated that 30-06 in particular had slipped quite a bit. 308 some, but less so. Years ago any new rifle that was introduced would have 30-06 as an option. There have been some new models introduced recently where 30-06 wasn't even an option. And I wouldn't be surprised if 6.5 sales are leveling off. Once again by now most of the people who want one have one.

There are too many 308 and 30-06 rifles out there to worry about them going away. But the 6.5CM is currently out selling both. And I expect the trend to continue.

Here are sales numbers from Christensen Arms for 2018. 52% of the rifles they sold were 6.5 CM, the 308 accounted for only 6% and 30-06 is lumped together with "other". They don't even offer 30-06 in most of their long action models.

Yeah because obviously we know Christiansen is a mainstream company and very representative. smirk

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

You said there was no need for a 30-06 in the northeast. I pointed out there are Bear, Moose, and even Elk. Had you said there was no need for one in New York, I would've stopped at Bear.
And indeed there is no "need" for a .30-06. Scandinavians have been killing moose with their 6.5x55's for over a century. I'm sure my 6.5 Creedmoor would get the job done just as well here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Yeah because obviously we know Christiansen is a mainstream company and very representative. smirk

Data point. I find it interesting, and appreciate his posting it.

Last edited by AKwolverine; 10/27/19. Reason: Cleaner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Christiansen is a rapidly growing company gobbling up market share.

How many rifles did you buy this year?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston

Too many according to my wife. Christiansen who?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And indeed there is no "need" for a .30-06. Scandinavians have been killing moose with their 6.5x55's for over a century. I'm sure my 6.5 Creedmoor would get the job done just as well here.

Well with that line of thinking I know Elephants have been killed by 6.5's so apparently there is no need for anything bigger than a 6.5 anywhere for anything.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Too many according to my wife. Christiansen who?

Really, how many? More importantly, how many new rifles?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Moosemike, Did you buy any new rifles this year? If so, what are they?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd want something bigger for dangerous game but would be comfortable with the 6.5 for anything in the Northeast. Honestly the only reason I have the .30-06 is because I had been wanting a stainless/synthetic rifle for rainy days and this 77 Hawkeye all weather .30-06 was just too good of a deal to pass up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Did you buy any new rifles this year? If so, what are they?
I just bought a Browning BL-22. Cute little bugger.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (3040Krag, 300_savage, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 48 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,028
Posts18,520,872
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.