Home
Posted By: Shag salmon recipe - 09/13/20
So I ask the wife this am how do want your salmon cooked? Sweet or Savory? She says sweet and savory... Good lord. Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted By: woodson Re: salmon recipe - 09/13/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsiCg95uBSU

This is very easy and turns out excellent.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: salmon recipe - 09/13/20
Assuming you have filet(s) with skin, put hers skin side down on heavy aluminum foil, dry. Make a paste of brown sugar, butter, salt (about twice as much as you think is enough) lemon juice, a little black pepper, maybe a little dill. Wimmens will have their sugar.
Yours, butter, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and most important...crushed dry oregano sprinkled sparsely on top of the skin side down filet sitting on dry aluminum foil.
Not knowing how thick your filets are...hard to advise. My cheapo gas barby does the job on high in about 16 min. lid closed. You will see pale colored beads of pure protein appear on the upper surface. Put the thinner tails toward a cooler portion of your grill so the thicker portion gets most of the heat. When the thicker part just flakes..very gingerly slide a spatula between the skin which will be stuck to the foil and the filet. Place on a warm plate, fish cools more rapidly than almost any other meat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by Shag
So I ask the wife this am how do want your salmon cooked? Sweet or Savory? She says sweet and savory... Good lord. Any ideas?

Thanks

Grilling, baking, or pan frying?
Posted By: Judman Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Here ya go buddy, Costco..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic hoster
Posted By: calikooknic Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Butter, brown sugar, and salsa verde.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/264819/brown-sugar-salmon/
Posted By: add Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Don't overcook it - easy to do if you don't prepare it often.
Posted By: woodson Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Originally Posted by add

+1!!! When it starts to sweat?! Pull it off pretty soon.
Posted By: fremont Re: salmon recipe - 09/14/20
Parchment paper (preferably parchment bag)

Slices of thinly sliced lemon
Salt, pepper
Dill (fresh if you've got it)
Sprinkling of brown sugar
Dollop of butter

20 min @ 400. Make sure the parchment is sealed. And, make sure you pull those pinbones.
Posted By: ribka Re: salmon recipe - 09/15/20
Originally Posted by Judman

Yep. x 2. Great stuff. Throw on an alder board and cook it.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 09/21/20
Originally Posted by add

And lots of linked examples of overcooked salmon here.

Look up the Canadian fish cooking rule... 8 to 10 minutes per inch of thickness, maximum.
Posted By: pal Re: salmon recipe - 09/21/20
I cook mine in a DeLonghi toaster oven.

Aluminum foil line a shallow pan and spray with a little PAM. Wash salmon steak and season with black pepper, seasoned salt, garlic powder. Drizzle teriyaki sauce on top and sprinkle with parsley flakes. Bake at around 400 degrees until steak is firm, but moist and just barely cooked all the way through.

Bon Appetit!
Posted By: Shag Re: salmon recipe - 09/25/20

We love it my brother. Also snagged the chicked rub... smile
Posted By: Shag Re: salmon recipe - 09/25/20
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by add

And lots of linked examples of overcooked salmon here.

Look up the Canadian fish cooking rule... 8 to 10 minutes per inch of thickness, maximum.

Got it!

Thanks
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: salmon recipe - 10/01/20
Good salmon like fresh king doesn't need much to be great. Smoke salt and pepper medium rare on a charcoal fire.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: salmon recipe - 10/01/20
Truth!
Fresh king right out of the salt and onto a hot grill is a wonderful thing! The Rub With Love is good stuff.

Older salmon out of the freezer is good Longhorn style (marinade with bourbon and brown sugar, soy sauce, pineapple, garlic.....).
Posted By: Valsdad Re: salmon recipe - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by add

Or, don't cook it at all?

I love raw fish.

The OP's wife, maybe not.

I wish salmon could run this far up the river and still be good, assuming they could get this far. I miss fresh salmon.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/04/20
Raw salmon from PNW carry a number of parasites from their freshwater lives which humans and dogs are vulnerable to.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: salmon recipe - 10/04/20
I supervised a fish dock one summer in AK, and we'd sometimes send guys down into the ship hold to wrangle stray fish, via the bucket. Bloody water full of tapeworms. Not sure if humans can host those tapeworms, but they were huge!

I was under the impression that freezing fish will kill the parasites but I don't know at what temperature or how long.

Posted By: Judman Re: salmon recipe - 10/08/20
Raw salmon from PNW carry a number of parasites from their freshwater lives which humans and dogs are vulnerable to.

Jesus Christ you get dumber by the minute!!! 😂😂

Oooops, don’t out me thief!! Haha
Posted By: JimInAK Re: salmon recipe - 10/09/20
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I was under the impression that freezing fish will kill the parasites but I don't know at what temperature or how long.

https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download

"Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites."
Posted By: fremont Re: salmon recipe - 10/10/20
My salmon's cooked all the way through, thank you. And, yes, you can do without drying it out if you know what you're doing.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: salmon recipe - 10/11/20
Can't tell u what I do out here..u vist and I'll make it ....
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by JimInAK

"Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites."

Yup, all of that is true. But how many know what their freezers will produce? I know exactly what mine does and have checked more than a few for others. Most folks have no idea how warm their freezers are.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/13/20
Oh, and another point worth thinking about.

For years the guidance on trichinosis was to simply freeze for a while and it will kill it. Then someone actually tested it and found out AK bears have Trichonella that does not die from freezing. Now we know the species is "nativa" not "spirallis" and it is not killable by freezing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: salmon recipe - 10/13/20

Yup, all of that is true. But how many know what their freezers will produce? I know exactly what mine does and have checked more than a few for others. Most folks have no idea how warm their freezers are.

It seems freezers are not engineered to get as cold as they used to.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: salmon recipe - 10/13/20
Originally Posted by fremont
My salmon's cooked all the way through, thank you. And, yes, you can do without drying it out if you know what you're doing.

Sure you can, but we like ours medium rare !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

It seems freezers are not engineered to get as cold as they used to.

There is that...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/14/20
Originally Posted by fremont

Okay, what is your secret?
Posted By: sse Re: salmon recipe - 10/14/20
i can't answer for him, but low and slow in the oven for an hour is amazing, little or no seasoning, spritz with EVOO, scattered with capers.
Posted By: ironbender Re: salmon recipe - 10/15/20
Exactly how low?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: salmon recipe - 10/15/20
YGTBFKM...
wink
Posted By: 79S Re: salmon recipe - 10/15/20

Momma going to do a Costco run, going to look for this stuff..
Posted By: sse Re: salmon recipe - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by ironbender
Exactly how low?

225 deg F
Posted By: Pugs Re: salmon recipe - 10/15/20
Originally Posted by 79S

Momma going to do a Costco run, going to look for this stuff..

Just ordered a six pack of their various spices to give them a try.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
I like a hot grill. Charcoal. Skin on fillet. Oil wipe the grate. If it’s a thick filet, flesh side down for a couple minutes then flip skin side down for several more until the middle is still just a bit translucent. Salt and pepper and let rest a few. It’ll finish up. The skin is pretty damn tuff and can take some heat.

Johnnys, RWL, Tony’s, whatever....they’re all good. Simple S&P is my favorite on good fresh salmon though.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I like a hot grill. Charcoal. Skin on fillet. Oil wipe the grate. If it’s a thick filet, flesh side down for a couple minutes then flip skin side down for several more until the middle is still just a bit translucent. Salt and pepper and let rest a few. It’ll finish up. The skin is pretty damn tuff and can take some heat.

Johnnys, RWL, Tony’s, whatever....they’re all good. Simple S&P is my favorite on good fresh salmon though.

Plus one....as the kids say.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
If its a quality fish it don't need much.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Unalakleet_Yooper Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
I've used a marinade of 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning. Coat the fish, let sit for at least a half hour and then cook skin side down on the grill. Don't overcook.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
Salmon & dill were made for each other !!
Posted By: sse Re: salmon recipe - 10/16/20
Originally Posted by FatCity67
If its a quality fish it don't need much.

love it...don't do it enough, availability is sketchy
© 24hourcampfire