Home
Posted By: sse Cognac - 05/16/17
Who can recommend a cognac for cooking, which also suitably stands up for sipping...?

Signed, cognac forlorn
Posted By: mathman Re: Cognac - 05/16/17
Any decent VS ought to do, but take my opinion with a grain of salt. Cognac to me is expensive, high octane grape syrup. grin
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/16/17
sounds good to me
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cognac - 05/16/17
Remy Martin 1738 VSOP. You will never need another brand
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/16/17
Thanks, Sam...but something tells me it's probably not a bargain brand...LOL I'll check with the purveyor and check it out.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Cognac - 05/16/17
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

+1! It isn't over priced.
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/17/17
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

+1! It isn't over priced.

Good deal...
Posted By: goldroger Re: Cognac - 05/17/17
CirOC
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Cognac - 05/17/17
Is that not Vodka ?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cognac - 05/18/17
Why spend the extra money for cooking?

Use brandy it will impart more flavor to the food and it comes in a wide variety.

Save the Cognac from drinking.

More importantly where the Armagnac
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/18/17
Use brandy it will impart more flavor to the food and it comes in a wide variety.

Which one would you recommend?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cognac - 05/18/17
For me I've found the $20-30 brandys really good for cooking. Most American brands that are grape based. E&J VSOP is moderately priced and imparts a good flavor that holds during cooking. You can move up if you want from there but I haven't found in the last 30+ years that wasting a great drinking $100+ bottle of drinking brandy on a dish really made it taste better. May stroke your ego but that's about it. And I've dropped some serious cash on food and spirits living in NorCal in the past.

Go with other fruit based brandies like Calvados an apple brandy for dessert recipes or when you want a sweeter more fragrant note.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cognac - 05/19/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Why spend the extra money for cooking?

Save the Cognac from drinking.

More importantly where the Armagnac

bad, misguided 'advice'. laughing
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Cognac - 05/19/17
Never cook with wine/spirits that you would not happily drink.

wink
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Cognac - 05/19/17
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

wink

Sage advice, a little for the chef, a little for the pot, a little more for the chef...
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Cognac - 05/20/17

wink

Amen.

Mike
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
By all means do what makes you think tastes best. I'll reserve the premiums for how they were meant to be enjoyed. 👍
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by FatCity67
By all means do what makes you think tastes best. I'll reserve the premiums for how they were meant to be enjoyed. 👍

that's a bit snooty and pretentious. laughing.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

wink

Sage advice, a little for the chef, a little for the pot, a little more for the chef...

"I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food..."

Julia Child (https://www.matchbookmag.com/daily/47-top-20-julia-child-quotes)

She knew what she was about!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
Seems to me that Chef's cook with wine where Cooks don't. I have eaten very little food cooked by Chef's, but none was up to par with the food that my Mother cooked. From breads to pies to meats and veggies. Never a drop of wine or brandy in any of it. miles
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
You think like me Miles, I like what I'd call thresher's meals. Not fancy, but good, and enough of it.
The kind of meals cooked for a lot of hungry, hard working men.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
It's a shame you've never had a meal prepared by a good Chef. The term chef is bandied about especially with the 1001 cooking shows on the air.

A splash of wine really can add some interesting flavors to dishes. When I make a stew after browning the meat and onions I use a good dash of Cabernet to deglaze the pot. It really adds a richness to the flavor.
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
Originally Posted by milespatton
Seems to me that Chef's cook with wine where Cooks don't. I have eaten very little food cooked by Chef's, but none was up to par with the food that my Mother cooked. From breads to pies to meats and veggies. Never a drop of wine or brandy in any of it. miles

There are all different kinds of foods and ways to prepare them to create whatever flavor profile is intended.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Cognac - 05/20/17
sse?, a peace maker? Don't that take the cake? ( This is the food section)
Posted By: sse Re: Cognac - 05/21/17
just trying to select some stinkin cognac
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Cognac - 06/21/17
So I'm way late to this party, understood, but this stuff is very good. You'll have to send away, dunno if that's an option for you or in your state but this is excellent brandy (the Armenians still call it Cognac even though the rules have been re-written). Aged 10 years, by Cognac standards, it's a XO and it is very good for a $30 spirit shipped. It's flavorful and will do very well for the pot, and it's also great neat or in a sidecar. Also, if you just can't stand ragheads, Armenians are predominantly Christian so don't let that be a deterring factor.

I use remedyliquor.com or missionliquor.com

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Cognac - 06/21/17
Louis XIII Cognac over $3000 a bottle aged 100 yrs
True story this passed Saturday night dinner with another couple at a very high end steak house.They have a large liquor cart with desserts and high end liquor. The cart is directly behind our booth and my friend leans back and stretches and knocks a bottle off the cart. The staff and waiter hear the loud bang on the floor and run over....the look on their faces was the same look you would have if your dog got hit by a car,jaws opened and silence for a few seconds till the girl mutters it's the Louis! All of it split on the floor except less than a quarter of the bottle,she says that was a $5000 bottle of cognac. Ooopps . They charge $250 for a small 2 shot glass . They were good about it and didn't fuss too much after the initial shock wore off

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Cognac - 06/22/17
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Louis XIII Cognac over $3000 a bottle aged 100 yrs
True story this passed Saturday night dinner with another couple at a very high end steak house.They have a large liquor cart with desserts and high end liquor. The cart is directly behind our booth and my friend leans back and stretches and knocks a bottle off the cart. The staff and waiter hear the loud bang on the floor and run over....the look on their faces was the same look you would have if your dog got hit by a car,jaws opened and silence for a few seconds till the girl mutters it's the Louis! All of it split on the floor except less than a quarter of the bottle,she says that was a $5000 bottle of cognac. Ooopps . They charge $250 for a small 2 shot glass . They were good about it and didn't fuss too much after the initial shock wore off

[Linked Image]

That's priceless, in more ways than one.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: Cognac - 06/22/17
Yikes
© 24hourcampfire