Home
i ain't sayin' i am going to be vegan/vegetarian, whatever.

but if i was planning to become one, whar's the protein coming from?

soybeans, maybe? i don't know. just askin'

i like beef, pork, chicken and fish.

but we're here to talk stuff.

so, plant protein from??
There are all kind of ways. Beans, lintels. I animal products are not out cheese, yogurt.

More I'm sure.
Hmm, lets see,
A steer, a elk or a deer eats a vegetarian diet and produces huge amounts of meat protein. Maybe it might work with a human too.....
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There are all kind of ways. Beans, lintels. I animal products are not out cheese, yogurt.

More I'm sure.

How do you cook your lintels? I would think they would be either rock hard or very chewy...
Well, I'm only so fond of the little brown beans, not much taste at all. Without some meat with them they would be a dull soup. They are a source of protein however.

As to cooking, a fairly long time.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

More I'm sure.

How do you cook your lintels? I would think they would be either rock hard or very chewy...

I think that they are mainly connected with a Passover meal.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

More I'm sure.

Passover is an interesting double entendre... seeing as how a lintel is the part of a door frame that passes over your head when you walk through...

Lentils are the neat little legumes folks eat....

wink
Originally Posted by Gus
i ain't sayin' i am going to be vegan/vegetarian, whatever.

but if i was planning to become one, whar's the protein coming from?

soybeans, maybe? i don't know. just askin'

but we're here to talk stuff.

so, plant protein from??

Well, that depends on how you feel about Genetically Modified food items ?

99% of the "WORLDS" soybean crop is genetically modified, therefore, all of the offshoot products too !

Not for me.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

More I'm sure.

Passover is an interesting double entendre... seeing as how a lintel is the part of a door frame that passes over your head when you walk through...

Lentils are the neat little legumes folks eat....

wink

(Sigh)
Lotsa different bean types besides soybean.

Someone at Slavyanka’s church made a borscht with some big Lima-type beans. One would fill your spoon. What a great soup!

Garbanzo beans (chick peas), make for great hummus.

Lentils make a pretty good soup.

I wouldn’t want to go without meat, but I think I could find plenty of interesting foods to eat.

Someone had to say it...

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]
Legumes and nuts, chia seeds, quinoa...lots of sources of plant based proteins. Just need to do a bit of research to make sure you are getting a complete protein intake.
Beans, beans, the musical fruit.

More popular the windows open time of year.

Soybeans? Next time you walk a picked bean field scavenge some beans from around the edges. Will kill your hunger real fast with the pungency of cheap barn paint. No wonder they ferment the damn things.
Originally Posted by JimInAK
Legumes and nuts, chia seeds, quinoa...lots of sources of plant based proteins. Just need to do a bit of research to make sure you are getting a complete protein intake.

Let's not forget Mushrooms !
Tempeh has the most complete protein of any vegan food. Same protein per gram as white meat chicken. All your amino acids.
Originally Posted by JimInAK

Someone had to say it...

^^^This^^^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckwheat
Tofu
Peanut butter.
Quinoa, if you can stomach it. It's supposed to have most of the amino acids.

Beans + rice.

As for lentils, I bring 'em to a boil, then cook for 12-14 min. Drain, then stir them into a vinaigrette of lime juice & toasted sesame oil. I'll add a goodly amount of ground cumin, along with salt, pepper & some chipotle powder. Grated carrot & chopped cilantro finish it off.

Quick, 'n easy, but I'd not want it passing over my head...

FC
I mulled it over once upon a time. Then I discovered that soy is supposedly bad for testosterone levels, and that most beans and nuts and cheeses were bad for folks with kidney disease. So I opted for 99% fat free turkey as my main protein source, and haven't looked back.

I've ate enough turkey over the last few years to start strutting and gobbling. Kidney function is holding steady, so I see no reason to change.
i eat a lot of turkey also. usually de=skinned.

sometimes it's priced cheaper than chicken.

we'll load up and put it in the freezer.

i don't know why turkey doesn't compete more directly with chicken.

and chicken eats a ton of soybeans, etc.
Turkey also has high levels of tryptophan , which is actually supposed to be very good for you.

Every once in a while I eat some baked fish, but 90% of my protein intake is turkey. My bedtime snack is 30 grams of peanut flour and 30 grams of whey isolate protein powder, stirred together with a spoonful or two of water, to make a high protein, low fat version of peanut butter. My kidneys can handle that, and it is a nice treat at the end of the day.

If you can tolerate dairy, yogurt is a good source of protein, so long as you don't get a brand full of sugar. So is cottage cheese, believe it or not. A lot of bodybuilders end their day with a portion of cottage cheese.
Originally Posted by auk1124
I mulled it over once upon a time. Then I discovered that soy is supposedly bad for testosterone levels, and that most beans and nuts and cheeses were bad for folks with kidney disease. So I opted for 99% fat free turkey as my main protein source, and haven't looked back.

I've ate enough turkey over the last few years to start strutting and gobbling. Kidney function is holding steady, so I see no reason to change.

Soy is not a testosterone problem, but rather very high in estrogen. Women with estrogen-triggered breast cancers are told to never eat any form of soy. Others are warned to limit soy intake.
[quote=auk1124]

Soy is not a testosterone problem, but rather very high in estrogen. Women with estrogen-triggered breast cancers are told to never eat any form of soy. Others are warned to limit soy intake.

Thanks for the clarification. I've never been too clear on exactly why, but I know that I've read a lot of opinions that a diet heavy in soy isn't really the best for men. If it jacks up estrogen levels, that explains it.
Still trying wrap my head around ( vegetarian hunter ). Maybe its just me.
Do what most vegetarians do. Eat meat and pretend you don't.
My dinner has a vegan diet.
© 24hourcampfire