Home
Posted By: R_H_Clark What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
What could I have built for $2500 rifle only. Let me set up what I like and you guys help me decide what I can do.

Stainless and synthetic. Short action.

Accuracy number one but I want to stay around 7 lbs. Less nice but not to sacrifice accuracy.

Will hunt white tail deer 99% of the time with a possibility of Elk or mule deer, black bear, moose.

I'm not a reloader but likely will be.

I would like suggestions on action, barrel, caliber and stock. Is this a reasonable expectation on price? Who should I get to build it? I really don't want to wait 5 years. Would second hand be a better choice?

Thanks for any help for a newby to the custom world.
Start with a factory made name brand rifle. Get to the 'custom' later when experience shows you what you want.

My suggestion is the Kimber Montana 308 with a Leupold 2.5-8 scope.
Posted By: Mod7Nut Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
My wife!!!!
For $2500 one helluva fine rifle however you want it.
Save another grand and buy a NULA. Or wait on a ss SA Forbes.
But here is my idea of a great rig.
R700 LSS Mountian 7-08, McM Hunters Edge, Williams trigger guard, Jewell trigger, bolt done by Karl, Talley LW, and a 6x42 with post & duplex and M1 elevation. Throw a Montana sling on there and 4 rounds in it and it will hit your 7# mark.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What could I have built for $2500 rifle only. Let me set up what I like and you guys help me decide what I can do.

Accuracy number one but I want to stay around 7 lbs. Less nice but not to sacrifice accuracy.

Will hunt white tail deer 99% of the time with a possibility of Elk or mule deer, black bear, moose.

I would like suggestions on action, barrel, caliber and stock. Is this a reasonable expectation on price? Who should I get to build it? I really don't want to wait 5 years. Would second hand be a better choice?

For $2500, you can knock it out of the park. No sense settling for less. You don't handload now, but you'll want to after spending that kind of money. Don't waste that rig on factory ammo. Twist it right, throat it right, stock it right, glass it right and don't forget about the mag box.

I'm a 308 fan too, but go 7-08.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
You're right. He can do a great rifle for that money. I'd toss a 6.5 of sorts in the mix as well. Hard to spec him a build as we'd all do things slightly different.

With the weight he mentioned it would be hard to cuss a copy of a ks dupe or standard rem sporter in a classic stock. Or anything else along those lines.

Too many good ways to skin this cat without just getting into personal taste.
remington 700 short action
#2 Hart barrel 1-9" twist finish at 22" with a 1" shank chambered in 7-08
Mcmillan mountain rifle or hunters edge or for cheaper a Bell and Carlson Ti takeoff
Talley lightweight rings
trigger job
3.5-10x40 or 6x42 Leupold
Throwing in the Elk and Moose into the equation makes me think a 300 Mag of some sort would be a good investment. With the short action, this would be my idea-

Win 70 Stainless in 300 WSM, new PacNor Stainless barrel, mountain contour or just a bit larger, McMillan Edge stock in your choice of color combo, Timney trigger, custom bottom metal, Pachmayr decelerator pad.

Money left over to get a good scope, rings, bases and buy some reloading equipment and components.

Bob
Originally Posted by Sheister
Throwing in the Elk and Moose into the equation makes me think a 300 Mag of some sort would be a good investment. With the short action, this would be my idea-

Win 70 Stainless in 300 WSM, new PacNor Stainless barrel, mountain contour or just a bit larger, McMillan Edge stock in your choice of color combo, Timney trigger, custom bottom metal, Pachmayr decelerator pad.

Money left over to get a good scope, rings, bases and buy some reloading equipment and components.

Bob

The moose is an extremely long shot. I already own a 7mm rem mag model 70 and a Sako Finnlight 270.

Is the consensus for the Rem 700 action and custom barrel plus McMillan stock, or is there a better route for around $2500?
With $2500 to play with I'd go with a custom action like the Borden Alpine or Timberline. You should be able to build with the barrel of your choice in a McMillan edge stock for around $2500.

Bob

The moose is an extremely long shot. I already own a 7mm rem mag model 70 and a Sako Finnlight 270.

Is the consensus for the Rem 700 action and custom barrel plus McMillan stock, or is there a better route for around $2500?

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!
Stiller Predator action
Hart #2 or #3 contour in 6.5 or .270 caliber. 1-8" twist on the 6.5.
McMillan "sako style" hunters edge
Good aftermarket bottom metal
Rifle basix trigger
Bedded, then bead blasted finish on barrel only

Bingo!

Either a 260 Remington, 6.5 WSM or 270 WSM.
The 270 WSM is a great all around caliber and would definitely handle most anything in L48. I'd long for taking a 300 to Alaska, but with good shot placement you should be able to handle all other game with any three of these calibers. The .260 also makes a great varmint rifle with 85-95gr bullets.

My two cents....I'm putting one together myself.
Posted By: slg888 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Get a McMillan & new Sako Finnlight. Take the rest of cash & buy your reloading equipment.
Posted By: JBO69 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by slg888
Get a McMillan & new Sako Finnlight. Take the rest of cash & buy your reloading equipment.

Not sure why the sako 75 or 85 dont get more luv but this would be a great combo.
Posted By: GSP814 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Cooper!
Posted By: drover Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by GSP814
Cooper!

+1

For $2500 you could get a nice Cooper in your choice of stocks/stock styles/chambering/barrel lengths/contours and have money left for a good scope.

drover

This. Tons of options for the budget but I'd go this way before a [bleep] around piecing a 700 together.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Agree. For a primary deer rifle, an accurate, quality factory rifle + McM Edge can be done for considerably less. I put together this very accurate 308 which weighs 7lb 2oz as pictured for less than $1500 total (all were purchased used): Older Sako AII 308, McM Hunter edge, Leup VX3 2.5-8x36 P&D reticle.

[Linked Image]
good post, I'm gonna stay tuned.

I'd like one built. tired of buying off the shelf rifles. By the "one" I'll use for several years to come. kinda same specs as RHClark, only on the other side, lefty.

Dave

Posted By: Boxer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13

For the gent that don't load,with 2500 clams burning a hole in his pocket?

I'd say that if you kept your nose in the wind,you could score a Montucky 223,another in 308 and one scope easily...if not two. I'd happily score all used.

Then focus boolits and trigger time,resting ASSURED,that the balance will literally fall into place. Pun be intended.

If/when you Reload,things will only get better.

Hint.
Just please start out with a GOOD, reliable, dependable action such as a MAuser, Ruger Mk ll, Model 70 not made between 1964 and 1994, Sako, Cooper etc so that you have a great foundation upon which to build and end up with a long term reliable rifle that will also have decent re sale. Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. But the concept is similar in that there are lots of them out there, many parts for them, and lots of guys do start there for those reasons and post pictures here of them and the other cheap rifle lovers oooh and ahhh over them a bit, but no matter the paint job or tires or adding a turbo, it is still just a Vega/ Model 700 / Taurus.

A Kimber CLassic comes to mind as a great starting plce, or the Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H. I just got to handle and shoot a friends Kimber Caprivi that he bought for only $2,000 and it is AWSOME. Gorgeous wood, fantastic fit and finish, accurate, easy to shoot, and the heart is a real Mauser bolt action system. With $2500 one should be able to easily score a Kimber Classic with a good scope and just have some minor tweaking or personalizations done to it. Same idea with a Dakota 76, MRC completed rifle, Cooper, Older Sako's from when they put nice wood on them (I have a 70's era LSA-55 with great wood in 308 for sale) all come to mind as great options and ways to end up with an hierloom rifle, and one that you would be proud to own and show and hunt with as well as pass down.

I have a full custom rifle done up in an uberfast 33 caliber cartridge that I would sell you, including dies, scope, ammo, cases, bullets etc for $2500 if you want one that is already built, tested by time, and which had shown its mettle and quality on three each journeys to Africa as well as Alaska and MANY successful hunts here in the continental US, but I am not sure if you were wanting or looking at this much power.

Good luck with your project, but by all means START with a good HEART of the rifle, its action, and build out from there.

Blessings,

MARK
Posted By: Tanner Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
SS 700, #2 Rock in 280 Rem, Edge Mtn Rifle ADL. Paint it bright blue to please the purists. That dog would hunt...

Tanner
NULA or Montucky in .308 with a 1:10 or 1:12 twist for 155's or heavier.

Spend the rest on on reloading equipment.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by safariman

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. MARK

Mark,
Not one has been more pro Mauser and anti Rem700 than me, after 48 years of sporterizing Mausers and 30 years of killing things with pre 64 M70s.
But lately I have built a few Rem700s and hunted with them and with others that do, and lately I have been thinking they are the best rifles for some hunters. Especially if they wear women's underwear. 700s are ok for light duty, like mini pads.
Is that a bitch or a brag?!? Laffin'!

Mebbe expound upon what 48yrs of incredibly slow "learning" has 'taught" you about come-ups.

Too easy...too true and too [bleep] funny!

Here's to the boys in The Box,with their Tactical Tampons and Light 700's. Them puns be intended and I've zero doubt explained. Laffin'!

In fairness however,I've not shot out more than (5) 7-08 spouts on a single 700 receiver,but noone likes a good 82 Trick Move or [bleep] Mouser STORY,more than I. Wish I could know how many 100's of thousands of rounds I've whistled through 700's,less a mechanical failure of any kind,as it'd frost the cake copiously.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots.(grin)
Posted By: Royce Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
I don't know much about guns, shooting or hunting but I am guessing that you'd be much much farther down the road in all three endeavors,with the purchase of a stock rifle with a good scope, a $500 reloading set-up and lots of components-
My theory being that $1000 spent on practice rounds will increase your ability to hit little things a long way away, quickly, much more than an extra $1000 spent to have a safe queen to brag on.
Get a good stock and 700. Spend the rest on the scope. Learn to Drive it.
Posted By: SLM Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

That's funny..
Posted By: RDFinn Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Love to hear all the Carnuba Carbine toters flapping their gums as well.
Trigger time is key and most miss that mark,by a very wide margin.

I damned near was gonna make the 22LR Anschutz Nudge,to bolster trigger time. I've noticed that a 54 Repeater stoked with a 25MOA extended Picatinny rail and glass with copious erector travel,is prolly a pretty [bleep] good time at the 300,400 and 500yd lines. Might could just mebbe help with Wind Reading too,as well as cement the basics of slappin' schit silly,welllllllll beyond an initial zero range.

A guy could be in tall cotton there,for 1500 Clams,including rifle,rail,rings and glass. Though it seems many balk at the notion of procuring GOOD stuff.

One of these days I'm gonna build me a 700 and save up the jingle to schlep it to one of the Exotic Places cited and see for myself how they suffer hard use,in trying conditions and mebbe even inclement weather. Hopefully 'bout the time I retire,I'll have the coin ratholed...fingers is crossed.

Noone has or ever will become proficient,by talkin' about shooting or employing slowwwwwww "learning". One needs to roll up their sleeves and simply shoot a [bleep] bunch. As centerfires go,the 223 and 308 are the paths of least resistance,regarding both ammo quality and bang for the buck,for the gent who don't load. 'Course they get even better,if/when he makes that transition. Hint.

Gimme an OEM Montucky in either chambering,wearing a 6x42/M1 in LW's flingin' Factory Fodder and I can have a gent blowing his own mind,on the very first poke.

Of course one is gonna hear all the Goat [bleep] stupid schit,about Turd Polishing CM spouts,Boomer chamberings,contours greater than Cow and all the asinine Fluff,for pissing up ropes and I DO appreciate that humor farrrrrr more than anyone else.(grin)

I prolly gots a few T-shirts.
Posted By: woofer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Montana in whatever. Leupy of choice in LW's. Press, brass and bullets. By spring you wont know what to do with yourself....

W
Posted By: toad Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!

whole lotta stupid right there
Posted By: Royce Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
don't understand the logic in pointing someone who doesn't shoot enough to bother reloading towards a 300 WBY for mostly deer sized animals- 7/08 or 308 would serve him a lot better, I believe-

I was going to post the same thing last night but did not want to derail the thread. I would bet the finnlight would out shoot the custom also.

Dink
Kimber Montana 7mm-08, 280 AI, 300 WSM or 7 WSM - $1000
Leupold 3.5-10 or 6x36 or 6x42 - $350
Talley rings - $40
Rockchucker supreme reloading kit - $500

Well under $2500 and way ahead of the game, imho.
Posted By: SLM Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/25/13
Originally Posted by Royce
don't understand the logic in pointing someone who doesn't shoot enough to bother reloading towards a 300 WBY for mostly deer sized animals- 7/08 or 308 would serve him a lot better, I believe-

+100

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade

I watched one of those [bleep] the bed for three days in a rifle class one time. Damn thing would not reliably feed or extract. The only reason the guy didn't wrap it around a tree is it was borrowed. Nice wood though?

My Steyr never missed a beat. Neither did any of the Remmys.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
One of these days I'm going to build me a "long range Mauser".........lol
Posted By: toad Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
Originally Posted by RDFinn
One of these days I'm going to build me a "long range Mauser".........lol

I did one on a M70 Laredo/Hart barrel chambered .264 wm. CRF, 2 POS (sic) safety, blah blah...

it is as silly as it sounds. I would not do it again.

my 'heavy' SS M700 .264 is on it's third barrel less issues and is a better mousetrap

Posted By: Boxer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
I've been through it all and somewhere I've pics of my Mouser 22-250AI with double-set trigger and the highest [bleep] rollover cheekpiece,Reinhart ever let rattle outta da shop. Hell...the Walnut was even purty to boot.(grin)

Was sorta retrospectin' the other day and figure I'm at or near 100 Custom spouts and couldn't even begin to [bleep] guess how many OEM spouts deep,into R&D. Might even be a new build settin' in the box on the Reloading Bench,that arrived after I shoved off for work. Though in fairness,it prolly ain't a [bleep] Mouser.(grin) Though I do reckon that it's prolly handy/dandy and gots some reserve RPM plumbed into it.

I simply [bleep] Mousers,because I've had more than a few (96 and 8's) and have as of yet to see one worth a [bleep]. I simply [bleep] Winchesters,because I've had more than a few(54's,pre/post/transition/Classic 70's and CRPF)...the best of the lot was a "lowly" 70 CRPF Coyote 7Whizzum,holy [bleep] balls did that thing SHOOT! Biggest piece of schit [bleep] rifle I ever had was a 70 XTR FW 223,followed by a TRG-S 30-378. Have had herds of Sakos and routinely appreciated 'em,though the new schit sucks ass. I suffer Coopers. Have had a schit ton of Ruger boltguns(MkI/MKII/transitions and all have been rather [bleep] sound and more than a few dazzled. I've never [bleep] Ruger bolts and might not ever will,though they's trying,here as of late.(grin) The more I think about it,the more rifles I've had/have and I would be curious to know that number. I tend to shoot schit hard and let the chips fall where they may and due that volume,I just mighta learnt a couple/few thangs.

It is refreshing to see a gent musing his first build,with a lick of sense,as that NEVER [bleep] happens. A handy/dandy lithe S/A,is an approach farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr different from most and THE money maker,which just might actually get used. "Trouble" is that Today,killer rifles abound turnkey on the shelves and that sorta takes some of the fun outta building.(grin)

There was a time not so very long ago,when a guy simply HAD to build,to field sumptin' Skookum,but the grass is much greener now. I'd go so far as to say,that'd be a good thang.

Even with them sound choices available,folks is in the hurriest of hurries,to [bleep] schit up. They never think about boolits and are routinely wayyyyyy over case-capacitied and wayyyy under boolited. Which is an intellesting Dichotomy. From there they don't ever shoot the [bleep] thang,because it is no fun and then wonder WTF,when the "results" run concurrent with the time/rounds spent in practice. Funny schit!

Less is just ohhhh sooooooooooooo veddy much more and in oh so many ways. Handy/dandy FUN,has no equal in it's appeal and it's relative effectiveness is bolstered in non-lineal fashion,due that familiarity. Funny how it all works.(grin)

The most colossal [bleep]-ups I've seen on Critters,were in the upper end of the case capacity spectrum and I've no patent on viewing such findings. This by guys who proclaimed to "shoot" and then dismally reiterated the reality of the ruse obliviously. I long ago learned to make guys shoot,prior to Showtime,so I've an inkling of what to expect. Very often I slap their schit out of their hands and give 'em sumptin' way better than good,instead. I'd rather hurt feelers,then let sumptin' good walk away. Such things bolster the economy and redistribute Wealth.(grin)

I reckon it is no secret I [bleep] hate 308's,but for a gent without callouses on his trigger finger and Popeye forearms from the Reloading Press,it's a great first pitch for Game/Utility. The 223 goes without [bleep] sayin' and the ability to extrapolate good habits from one platform to another,is a breeze. Lotsa folks get in a hurry and miss that,by doing the stupid [bleep] long and stupid [bleep] heavy contour schit,in an epic abortioned Goat [bleep] that handles/balances/carrys like schit...then ain't no [bleep] fun to shoot. I'm still waiting for some cross-eyed Windowlicker to say "add a muzzle brake". [bleep] Wow +P+!

You give me someone who's paying the [bleep] attention,a handy/dandy rifle with good ammo and an erector of repute and in a single poke...the game has [bleep]-a CHANGED for them,BY them. I get the appeal of watching me shoot,but it's always best to let folks blow their own minds first.

Have yet to see it go ANY other way and we's talking 100's and 100's of rifles. Noone visits the second time,with the same schit they schlepped initially,because noone is THAT tough.(grin) Hell...gents I ain't ever seen in the flesh,let alone shot with,seem to procure in similar fashion after giving the how/why/what's a serious thunk.

Hint.

This post is almost funny, if not insane. BTW, the OP said whitetail deer 99% of the time.
Kimber Monti in .260, 7-08 or .308. Good mounts and scope.

Shoot up the rest of the $$$$$$$.
Posted By: gene270 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
Remington short action
timney trigger
#2 taper hart barrel @ 22 inches
308 Winchester for the non reloader or not
McMillan edge stock of your liking
put together by Bob Green in York Pa.

Easy to see the need for the life saving CRF/Mauser when hunting face to face with charging game in the "dark continent" ......lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: GregW Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13

Bob

Is this a serious post? A rebarreled supergrade to .300 roy?

Build and scope 2 and a half ss faux ti 700's....
Posted By: donsm70 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Kimber Montana 7mm-08, 280 AI, 300 WSM or 7 WSM - $1000
Leupold 3.5-10 or 6x36 or 6x42 - $350
Talley rings - $40
Rockchucker supreme reloading kit - $500

Well under $2500 and way ahead of the game, imho.

+1 on this. I went with a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and a Kahles 3.5-10x50, and the Talleys and the Rockchucker. I has certainly worked for me.

donsm70
if accuracy is your first want I would go more than 7#'s I would call GAP rifles and order a non typical probably in the new 6.5 SAUM they have come up with. I think its very unwise to build on a factory action if you have this much money to spend. There are too many nice remington clones to put money into a factory action. plus your resale will be much better with a custom action. BAT machine, defiance machine etc are much better choices for a custom rifle these days. the GAP rifle will is a bit more than your budget. but it will be money you can get back if you ever want to sell it. a custom on a remington action or worse yet some tired old mauser that some have suggested will be lucky to be worth half what you put in it if you decide you want something else. the GAP rifle will be worth probably about 85% of what you pay instead of half.
Originally Posted by toad

whole lotta stupid right there

Really, now....

Quite allright to have a different opinion, especially if it is based on facts and personal experience that is substantial enough to be useful but even then name calling is pretty lowlife.

I stand by my thoughts on the matter, which are based on experience that exceeds that of likley most folks, my having been able to travel and hunt a great deal as well as hunt vicariously through the experiences of my clients when I was in the hunting business and having been priviliged to sit around the campfire with many PH's and guides whose expereince in real hunting situations will exceed most anyone here on the board with only a very few exceptions. I also made it a habit to read the reports of which rifles were doing well as in staying together and functioning reliably through the PH rifle proficiency exams in Zimbabwe and other African Countries whenever such reports were made available.

I base my input and reccomendations upon those experiences and sources of knowledge. No stupid in there at all, amigo. And I recomended the 300WBY due to its great flexability when moose and bear were added to the equation. Some like little rifles for such creatures, but I do not.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

This post is almost funny, if not insane. BTW, the OP said whitetail deer 99% of the time.

Post is based upon pretty significant experience here as well as Africa. Moose and bear in the equation, and long range as well so the 300WBY makes complete sense. I used it as my primary big game cartridge for quite a few years, in many settings, including some Whitetailed deer and it worked marvelously.

Again, different opinions are good for the forum, name calling and being demeaning another member, whose experience and knowledge might even exceed your own, is unnecesary and reflects more poorly on the poster who stoops to such childish content and method than the originator of the idea.
I have built SEVERAL effective long range big game rifles on Mauser or Winchester Model 70 actions and they have worked quite well. One of them has many, many kills on truly large game to its credit and is still a mainstay in my battery. I am in the proccess of building another specialized long range rig on an FN Mauser with a quite nice Piece of Walnut for its handle, as is my custom and preference.

Some here will obviously have a different idea. Great! State something of your experience and your opinion or ideas on the matter. My ideas might be different, but I hope that I have not yet stooped to belittleing another experienced hunter and member. If I have, I hereby sincerely apologize.
Posted By: toad Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
my gawd, dude...the OP wants a ~7# SS SA/synthetic. that's a reasonable and realistic wish list.

is the polar opposite really the best you can do?

Post is based upon pretty significant experience here as well as Africa. Moose and bear in the equation, and long range as well so the 300WBY makes complete sense. I used it as my primary big game cartridge for quite a few years, in many settings, including some Whitetailed deer and it worked marvelously.

Again, different opinions are good for the forum, name calling and being demeaning another member, whose experience and knowledge might even exceed your own, is unnecesary and reflects more poorly on the poster who stoops to such childish content and method than the originator of the idea.

No name calling here. I just think it's insane to use a .300 Roy when 99% of the OP's hunts are for WT deer. I don't think you read his post very closely.
Holy balls... A 300 Wby?

.308 Montana and good glass will cover all the bases and leave enough for a nice night out with the missus.

Bonus points will come in handy.
Cry me a river, they aren't calling you stupid, but the idea of using a 300 Wby on tiny Bama whitetails. Stop taking it so personally. OP said 99% on the little deer out here, absolutely no reason for any 300 mag, even if 1/100 hunts is for elk.

I'd go 7-08 or 7saum myself since he wants a short action. 7WSM if he wants more power, but not at all necessary for Bama. If elk is doubtful, 257 Rob or 260 Rem.

Anyone thinking this has helped find an answer to the original question is nuts. Fighting over what caliber, what build for a stupid rifle that won't get shot more than 50 times in it's life.

Coming to the campfire for advice is like going to a women's retreat for marital problems, it would be better to pull a pin and throw in a hand grenade...
A womens retreat for marital advice? Dam, I'm stll laffin!

Yep, .300 Roy should get it done.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Anyone thinking this has helped find an answer to the original question is nuts. Fighting over what caliber, what build for a stupid rifle that won't get shot more than 50 times in it's life.

Coming to the campfire for advice is like going to a women's retreat for marital problems, it would be better to pull a pin and throw in a hand grenade...

Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

No name calling here. I just think it's insane to use a .300 Roy when 99% of the OP's hunts are for WT deer. I don't think you read his post very closely.

Sometimes a few here just can't resist interjecting their pompous BS.

Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. But the concept is similar in that there are lots of them out there, many parts for them, and lots of guys do start there for those reasons and post pictures here of them and the other cheap rifle lovers oooh and ahhh over them a bit, but no matter the paint job or tires or adding a turbo, it is still just a Vega/ Model 700 / Taurus. Blessings,

Mark

Posted By: HitnRun Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13

Thanks for the insight you Pompous ass.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
if accuracy is your first want I would go more than 7#'s I would call GAP rifles and order a non typical probably in the new 6.5 SAUM they have come up with. I think its very unwise to build on a factory action if you have this much money to spend. There are too many nice remington clones to put money into a factory action. plus your resale will be much better with a custom action. BAT machine, defiance machine etc are much better choices for a custom rifle these days. the GAP rifle will is a bit more than your budget. but it will be money you can get back if you ever want to sell it. a custom on a remington action or worse yet some tired old mauser that some have suggested will be lucky to be worth half what you put in it if you decide you want something else. the GAP rifle will be worth probably about 85% of what you pay instead of half.

Intellesting on many levels.

Firstly,the OP doesn't load.

Secondly,I've made money on the few builds I've traded away...unless I was purposely spreading the love and helping someone out.

Thirdly,I'd be curious to know how many rifles you've had built.

In fairness,I do enjoy the hair-brained schemes and the bat schit crazy [bleep] nonsense...keep it up!

Laffin'!

Originally Posted by HitnRun

Thanks for the insight you Pompous ass.

GFY
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13

Don't build anything...it gets pretty hard to justify today and who wants to chase little obscure parts from around the country and coordinate delivery and assembly.PITA.

Get a Kimber Montana which is inherently "good" because it's a scaled down M70 whistle grin , will come in at the right weight OTB,is well stocked. I would not worry much at all about getting it to shoot.

Get a 7/08....or if you want more velocity with the heavy bullets (this is NOT a bad thing),a 7mm WSM.

Not sure the factory will give you a Montana in 7mm WSM, so buy a 270 or 300WSM and spend part of that $2500 on a new tube chambered 7mm WSM.

Scope it how you like (that subject will start a pissing contest,too grin

If I were doing it I would not be hung up on the short action business since short actions have always seemed shorter to me than they need to be,and would get a 280AI Montana and be done with it;but I like long legged women too so don't pay any attention to me. grin

If I didn't handload and was only hunting deer, I would get a 243 or 7-08.
dogcatcher now that you bring it up.... whistle

I would blow part of that $2500 on a hand loading outfit and a RCBS Casemaster or Sinclair equivalent(to be sure I had straight ammo). Factory ammo is fine but WILL sometimes vary lot to lot in velocity and POI and who wants to chase zero around the block? If the lot number is different from the last batch of ammo you never know what you got. cry

A guy can control those items with a bulk purchase of components if he handloads,and will learn a bunch in the process.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Don't build anything...it gets pretty hard to justify today and who wants to chase little obscure parts from around the country and coordinate delivery and assembly.PITA.

Get a Kimber Montana which is inherently "good" because it's a scaled down M70 whistle grin , will come in at the right weight OTB,is well stocked. I would not worry much at all about getting it to shoot.

Get a 7/08....or if you want more velocity with the heavy bullets (this is NOT a bad thing),a 7mm WSM.

Not sure the factory will give you a Montana in 7mm WSM, so buy a 270 or 300WSM and spend part of that $2500 on a new tube chambered 7mm WSM.

If I were doing it I would not be hung up on the short action business since short actions have always seemed shorter to me than they need to be,and would get a 280AI Montana and be done with it;but I like long legged women too so don't pay any attention to me. grin

Building is a breeze and fast/easy...if only in fairness.

7Whizzum Factory Fodder sucks ass. I've Montucky 7Whizzums in both OEM and Custom spouts,but again...boolits matter more than headstamps and Factory Fodder sucks ass.

The 7-08 is Hungchow,for like reason(s).

Scopes are easy,6x42 or bust.

280AI Montucky's are long on throat and short on box. 7 Whizzum Montucky's are spot on...yet again,Factory Fodder sucks ass in both. The Whizzum will kiss/house a 162,the 280AI will not even come close,if only for more factual conversation.(grin)

Funny how it all actually works.(grin)
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

And I would agree with you 100% if the OP had not mentioned Moose and bear. Maybe he was asking too much of one rifle, but in my mind you get a cartridge that is a good one for the largest game and longest range at which you may put it into play. It will also work on the smaller stuff while the reverse is not going to work quite as well, IMO.

Possibly the best solution, and the tack I have taken, is to specialize a bit more and spend the $2500 on TWO really good rifles. One for deer locally and another held in reserve for the more rare excursions after Moose and or bear. There are loads of really fine rifles that can be had for well under $1250 each, even with a good scope.

Others may have a different view, but mine (and JJhack shares this view BTW) is that bear and moose rifles START at 30/06 and go up from there. Jim has a WHALE of a lot of experience on bears and moose both, I have some but quite a bit of experience on African game of similar size and build such as Eland, Zebra etc. And I just do not see a 7/08 or similar being a good choice for animals in that class. I did read the OP's initial post pretty closely and it was upon the mention of the larger animals that I based my suggestion of a 300WBY for all comers.

Famous Rifle builder David Miller of Arizona is an avid Coues Whitetail deer hunter and his rifle of choice is a 300WBY. Anchors them right quickly, even on long shots so I am far from the only experienced rifleman and hunter who recomends such a cartridge for all around use. Elgin Gates and Wally Tabor hunted the world with a 300WBY with great success on large AND medium sized game. Since the OP stated that he WAS going to start reloading, I figured he could build himself some 308 or 300 Savage level handloads for a 300WBY for local deer hunting. Easy to make a 300WBY act like a 300 Savage, not possible to make a 243 act like a 300WBY when it is time to go bear or moose hunting.

My opinion and thoughts, based on my experience and that of others whose vast experience and knowledge I presonally value. To be given whatever wieght/value, or none, that the OP wishes to credit them with.
Originally Posted by Boxer
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Building is a breeze and fast/easy...if only in fairness.

7Whizzum Factory Fodder sucks ass. I've Montucky 7Whizzums in both OEM and Custom spouts,but again...boolits matter more than headstamps and Factory Fodder sucks ass.

The 7-08 is Hungchow,for like reason(s).

Scopes are easy,6x42 or bust.

280AI Montucky's are long on throat and short on box. 7 Whizzum Montucky's are spot on...yet again,Factory Fodder sucks ass in both. The Whizzum will kiss/house a 162,the 280AI will not even come close,if only for more factual conversation.(grin)

Funny how it all actually works.(grin)

Boxer if we are not precisely on the same page, we are reading from pretty much the same book... smile

I mentioned the hand loading thing in the next post.What is "factory ammo" anyway??? wink

Yes building is not "hard"...but can say that it was required years back to get what you want....somewhat less today, which was my point.

I suspect I would have killed for a Kimber Montana in 1985... grin

6X Leupolds are good gear.
Posted By: Royce Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
BobinNH made me think of another route to go-
As long as the OP is going to use factory ammo, he should go buy a used Savage from a pawn shop and spent the $2200 he'd save on long legged women!

And I would agree with you 100% if the OP had not mentioned Moose and bear.

I would have zero issues shooting a bear or moose with a 7-08.
Originally Posted by Royce
BobinNH made me think of another route to go-
As long as the OP is going to use factory ammo, he should go buy a used Savage from a pawn shop and spent the $2200 he'd save on long legged women!

Royce there are worse goods for the expenditure. grin
Bob,

I'll build in a HEARTBEAT to eek twist/throat COAL advantages. Nawwww...MUCH faster than that. Beings I was never one to [bleep] around,I can easily have a rifle built in a week and the Mail is the weakest link,due mainly to weather.

That being said,I'm rather at ease in nabbing OEM wares that are skookum and running with same. Nice choices are available,in various platforms,if only obviously. The Make/Model is gonna depend on the boolit. Hint.

I have read good thangs in F&S,regarding the Montana,as well as the 6x cited.

Safari',

If only for conversation,I've only seen (5) Mooseses shot through and killed outright with a single poke each,via 7-08. Prolly have seen only a couple/few dozen Bears succumb in like fashion,via like chambering. Exits are veddy,veddy typical. Hint.

Have never read anything where Miller had even a [bleep] clue,about boolits for LR. His blued/walnut stuff is purty...as in purty [bleep] useless,save sunshine pursuits. I'm anti-Hubble,because I shoot more than a whole [bleep] bunch and his 6.5-20x Mantra always escaped me,mainly because I've had more than a few of 'em.

The 300Wby is a great chambering and I've shot the [bleep] outta it,for many moons,but it is a piss POOR choice for Joe Average. Doubly so with a Miller 168SMK (even run through the Juenke)and the heavily compromised 1" 6.5-20x touted. Consummate Goat [bleep] there +P+. Poor BC,poor integrity,poor terminal consistency and a modest eye-reliefed literal dim view in compilation. That is my being veddy veddy generous in objective overview,as I've all them T-shirts. Understatement.

Elgin and Wally didn't have Today's choices in rifle types,boolit types,glass types,rangefinder types,nor much of anything else. In their Day,boolits by and large sucked ass,were of schit BC and range was totally UKD...so it were a wing and a prayer,as a best case scenario. They simply did the best they could,with what was then on the scene.

I reckon the particulars would sort differently,Today.(grin)

If only for conversation...from a couple/few weeks ago.

550yd poke,exit side shown and it was Shoulder-B-Gone Spray. .530BC at 3325fps,"lowly" 10x glass and mebbe some vegetation,via short action.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Killing is very easy,especially Today. That due boolits being better,glass being better and range determinations a given...which reliably arrange POA/POI intersections,that were once but the wildest of Dreams.

Spent primers are the SUPREME Tutorial and it's easy to cypher who do and who don't.

Royce,

I just might could have Salvages that wear 7-08 and 308 spouts.

I'm all about T&A...but schit rifles are far more unpredictable,than even women.(grin)

'223,

You might could be onto sumptin'.(grin)

That being said,as much as the very notions pains me...the 308 simply enjoys a comfy advantage in Factory Fodder,which is the OP's reality.

Posted By: ChipM Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13

And I would agree with you 100% if the OP had not mentioned Moose and bear.

I would have zero issues shooting a bear or moose with a 7-08.

+1 especially with the bullets available in either factory fodder or handloading. Though I would go the Montana/Leupy route and use all the money left over for reloading equipment and enough heads to keep me in trigger time for a while. The 7 wizzum would also get you there if you could find one. frown
I cannot imagine having to slum and buy factory ammo. That being said...I am with Boxer, I would be opting for something like a 308 that at least offers reasonable ammo.

Although, I am not sure how serious someone is about shooting when they tell me they don't roll their own. I lump them in the "half a box a year to see if my gun is on" crowd.

Boxer,

Speaking of OEM, where are you on Montana v. Tikka T3 SS Lite? My 6x42 is M8 HD w no M1 turret at moment.
I cain't like Tikka in .378,.473 or .532's,as there's nothing inherently redeeming aboard the platform(s). Montucky by a [bleep] mile,as they are of superior design,materials,ergos and balance.

I've got 6x42 HD's and they are easily my least favorite reticle,of the Duplex ilk(hate some of the Teutonic schit worse,but not by much). Either Duplex or Wide Duplex for me and an M1 has no equal.

I know lotsa guys that tried to go Tikka to stretch a buck,but noone tough enough to stay the course.(grin)
I'd run a 308 if I didn't reload. Mine shoots knots and it was 'built' with a SUCKS stainless steel takeoff and thrown into a McMillan.
Posted By: ChipM Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
I would agree 308 if not reloading but with the $2500 budget, I can't see how you do not have the money to get started. Even if you do not go the Kimber route, Winchester, Remington, Tikka, Ruger etc can get you there with the money to spare. IMHO in the long run, the reloading equipment will help you more than the $2500 custom
Posted By: Okbow87 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/26/13
Get yourself a montana with a .473 bolt face. Rebarrel to 6.5 creedmoor with a matching factory dupe tube. Buy factory ammo loaded with 140 amax and kill all the stuff you want...

Or you can get a donor 700 action and build similar with a ti take off or a mickey. Have any gunsmith worth a damn spin the tube on and bed it for ya. Buy same ammo and kill more stuff.

Or just buy a 308 montana.
Surprised no one has mentioned (maybe they did) a Winchester Extreme Weather barreled action dropped into a McMillan Edge. Could leave you about a grand for scope and mounts if one shops wisely.
I'm glad no one did.
You had one you didn't like Scott ? What sucked about it ? Accuracy, weight ? FF ? I kinda like that version at least on paper.
No, not that version. Most anything will out shoot a Winchester and I've had more feeding issues with them than everything else combined. Though M7's can suck there too.
Originally Posted by Okbow87

Or just buy a 308 7-08 montana.

Fixed it for ya
Kinda of off topic, but if I were to use that action, I would send it to Penrod for a complete smoothing, feed and function once over and complete truing prior to having a top flight tube installed, in a #2 or #3 fluted in 7 WSM @ 24". I'd have Penrod rework the trigger (if I could only locate an older 70 SS and throw in a SS Oberndorf BM.
82 trick moves is always a good route to go.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
Maybe I'll try to build a long range Mauser instead.........laffin
Posted By: jowens Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
.308 however you want it. Good factory fodder and easy to load for.

Posted By: Okbow87 Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by Okbow87

Or just buy a 308 7-08 montana.

Fixed it for ya

Yeah if he were going to reload 162's, but since the OP clearly said he will be shooting factory ammo... Not so much. About the best factory fodder would be 140 accubonds in the 7-08. Why wouldn't he want to pay half the price for 6.5 creedmoor with a 140 amax? He can shoot twice as much for the same money = more practice and more dead stuff. Plus 99% of what he will be using the rifle for is southern whitetails.

If he was going to reload, 7 WSM Montana would be the teets.
Posted By: Boxer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
Surprised no one has mentioned (maybe they did) a Winchester Extreme Weather barreled action dropped into a McMillan Edge. Could leave you about a grand for scope and mounts if one shops wisely.

I've never liked flyweight handles upon cumbersome barreled actions. Have done the S/S Classic WSM OEM metal,into a Swirled Winny Classic handle...but it brings nothing positive to the table,over a Montucky.

Top.

[Linked Image]

Tough to out Montucky a Montucky and Winchester ain't even in the same Universe.

Posted By: RDFinn Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
So a standard Micky would be a better way to fly for balance ?
To the OP, while not ruling out the others' suggestions,
this meets your requirements for short action, weight and budget. Picked it up used for $1,250 and replaced the windage adjustable base with Talleys for a few dollars extra. Kimber Montana in 308. Leupy 3.5x10. For 99% deer hunting, it ought to work nicely and leave some change for a reloading set-up.
[Linked Image]

Shoots pretty well also.

200 yards:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boxer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
So a standard Micky would be a better way to fly for balance ?

If talkin' OEM Winny contours...most assuredly yes.

Again,you cain't begin to out-Montucky a Montucky and there's no [bleep] way in hell to get within the same universe,with a [bleep] Winchester.

Now if you wanna talk Nichetitude and start musin' say a 1-8" #2 contoured 23" 6-284 kissin' 105's at 2.950" in a Sako Hunter swirled ADL,then I'd say the Winny is a nice way to fly.

For handy/dandy,there's no [bleep] way.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
What is "OEM"? confused blush
Original equipment manufacture
Posted By: minengr Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/27/13
I'm not in the same league as some of the other posters, but I have learned a few things the hard way. Rather than spend a bunch of money trying to build a Montana with a different action and stock, save yourself time, trouble, money, and just buy a Montana out of the gate.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
Originally Posted by okierifleman
Original equipment manufacture

Ahh! okie, thanks! blush grin
Posted By: Clarkm Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
I build 2 or 3 rifles per year for my self and shoot a deer or two with one of them each fall.

The same stock the Kimber Montana wears can be purchased from High Tech Specialties [Bansner] directly or through Brownells.

This is half the price of McMillian stock, but need hours of work to de burr, paint, and mount the butt. I built an oven this year for painting them. I have bought a couple of those stocks already prepped by others, one for $350 and one for $10.

As the editor of Field and Stream, David E. Petzal says
~ synthetic stock rifles are not a good investment. ~
Neither are women, but we pour money into them.

I have been building military 1898 Mausers, commercial 1898 Mausers, Pre 64 Winchester M70s, Savage 110s, Savage 99s, 1885 falling blocks, Mosin Nagants, Break actions, and Rem 700s.

The book, "Bolt Action Rifles" by De Haas
http://www.alibris.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles-Frank-De-Haas/book/757826
This book gives the characteristics and pros and cons of ~~ 100 bolt actions.

The 98 Mausers with Win M70 safety are at the Rolls Royce end of the spectrum and the Rem 700 is at the Ford Fiesta end of the spectrum of machining and features.

Using this as a guide, I would for instance, rate a Howa 1500 as being half way in between.
Like a 98 Mauser the Howa has a flat bottom receiver, 3 position bolt safety, integral recoil lug, and integral bolt handle.
Like a Rem 700 the Howa has push feed, a simple bolt, no safety lug, and a plunger ejector.
Half way in between the Howa has a medium strength extractor.

But the light weight designed to be cheap Ford Fiesta [Rem 700] has it's place. Ken Block does his trick driving with a Ford Fiesta.

[Linked Image]
Field and Stream? What's that?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
It's Boxer's bible..
Posted By: Calvin Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
Petzal is an idiot.

For $2500 you can have it all.
Posted By: toad Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
yea, Ford Fiesta. that's it...snork

[Linked Image]
Sucks Fiesta..
Posted By: Boxer Re: What could I get for $2500 - 12/28/13
If you take their Imagination and Pretend away...they'd have nothing left and that would simply be mean.

Viva La Fiesta!

Bob

And heavier than a dead mule
I'm somewhere between $2,500 and a $15,000 Echols. What could I get?
I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I will be in the planning stages for a while. I own a few very nice rifles and thought about building a custom since I have just started shooting again. I will reload before this rifle is decided on. I am however and always have been a shooter. I have just not been serious about it for a while and when I was it was rimfire.I have started picking up a few rifles the last few years and when work and family allows, I will get serious with them.

My main reason for this thread was to decide if my budget would allow a custom action, or if I would be better served with a factory action, some caliber choices to look at, and if my weight, around 7 lbs is reasonable with accuracy being the highest concern.

I had to be away from the web for a while but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help, and even the constructive criticism of my lack of reloading and of each others choices.
© 24hourcampfire