Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What could I have built for $2500 rifle only. Let me set up what I like and you guys help me decide what I can do.

Stainless and synthetic. Short action.

Accuracy number one but I want to stay around 7 lbs. Less nice but not to sacrifice accuracy.

Will hunt white tail deer 99% of the time with a possibility of Elk or mule deer, black bear, moose.

I'm not a reloader but likely will be.

I would like suggestions on action, barrel, caliber and stock. Is this a reasonable expectation on price? Who should I get to build it? I really don't want to wait 5 years. Would second hand be a better choice?

Thanks for any help for a newby to the custom world.

For the gent that don't load,with 2500 clams burning a hole in his pocket?

I'd say that if you kept your nose in the wind,you could score a Montucky 223,another in 308 and one scope easily...if not two. I'd happily score all used.

Then focus boolits and trigger time,resting ASSURED,that the balance will literally fall into place. Pun be intended.

If/when you Reload,things will only get better.

Hint.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just please start out with a GOOD, reliable, dependable action such as a MAuser, Ruger Mk ll, Model 70 not made between 1964 and 1994, Sako, Cooper etc so that you have a great foundation upon which to build and end up with a long term reliable rifle that will also have decent re sale. Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. But the concept is similar in that there are lots of them out there, many parts for them, and lots of guys do start there for those reasons and post pictures here of them and the other cheap rifle lovers oooh and ahhh over them a bit, but no matter the paint job or tires or adding a turbo, it is still just a Vega/ Model 700 / Taurus.

A Kimber CLassic comes to mind as a great starting plce, or the Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H. I just got to handle and shoot a friends Kimber Caprivi that he bought for only $2,000 and it is AWSOME. Gorgeous wood, fantastic fit and finish, accurate, easy to shoot, and the heart is a real Mauser bolt action system. With $2500 one should be able to easily score a Kimber Classic with a good scope and just have some minor tweaking or personalizations done to it. Same idea with a Dakota 76, MRC completed rifle, Cooper, Older Sako's from when they put nice wood on them (I have a 70's era LSA-55 with great wood in 308 for sale) all come to mind as great options and ways to end up with an hierloom rifle, and one that you would be proud to own and show and hunt with as well as pass down.

I have a full custom rifle done up in an uberfast 33 caliber cartridge that I would sell you, including dies, scope, ammo, cases, bullets etc for $2500 if you want one that is already built, tested by time, and which had shown its mettle and quality on three each journeys to Africa as well as Alaska and MANY successful hunts here in the continental US, but I am not sure if you were wanting or looking at this much power.

Good luck with your project, but by all means START with a good HEART of the rifle, its action, and build out from there.

Blessings,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SS 700, #2 Rock in 280 Rem, Edge Mtn Rifle ADL. Paint it bright blue to please the purists. That dog would hunt...

Tanner

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
NULA or Montucky in .308 with a 1:10 or 1:12 twist for 155's or heavier.

Spend the rest on on reloading equipment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. MARK

Mark,
Not one has been more pro Mauser and anti Rem700 than me, after 48 years of sporterizing Mausers and 30 years of killing things with pre 64 M70s.
But lately I have built a few Rem700s and hunted with them and with others that do, and lately I have been thinking they are the best rifles for some hunters. Especially if they wear women's underwear. 700s are ok for light duty, like mini pads.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is that a bitch or a brag?!? Laffin'!

Mebbe expound upon what 48yrs of incredibly slow "learning" has 'taught" you about come-ups.

Too easy...too true and too [bleep] funny!

Here's to the boys in The Box,with their Tactical Tampons and Light 700's. Them puns be intended and I've zero doubt explained. Laffin'!

In fairness however,I've not shot out more than (5) 7-08 spouts on a single 700 receiver,but noone likes a good 82 Trick Move or [bleep] Mouser STORY,more than I. Wish I could know how many 100's of thousands of rounds I've whistled through 700's,less a mechanical failure of any kind,as it'd frost the cake copiously.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots.(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't know much about guns, shooting or hunting but I am guessing that you'd be much much farther down the road in all three endeavors,with the purchase of a stock rifle with a good scope, a $500 reloading set-up and lots of components-
My theory being that $1000 spent on practice rounds will increase your ability to hit little things a long way away, quickly, much more than an extra $1000 spent to have a safe queen to brag on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Get a good stock and 700. Spend the rest on the scope. Learn to Drive it.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/25/13.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

That's funny..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love to hear all the Carnuba Carbine toters flapping their gums as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Trigger time is key and most miss that mark,by a very wide margin.

I damned near was gonna make the 22LR Anschutz Nudge,to bolster trigger time. I've noticed that a 54 Repeater stoked with a 25MOA extended Picatinny rail and glass with copious erector travel,is prolly a pretty [bleep] good time at the 300,400 and 500yd lines. Might could just mebbe help with Wind Reading too,as well as cement the basics of slappin' schit silly,welllllllll beyond an initial zero range.

A guy could be in tall cotton there,for 1500 Clams,including rifle,rail,rings and glass. Though it seems many balk at the notion of procuring GOOD stuff.

One of these days I'm gonna build me a 700 and save up the jingle to schlep it to one of the Exotic Places cited and see for myself how they suffer hard use,in trying conditions and mebbe even inclement weather. Hopefully 'bout the time I retire,I'll have the coin ratholed...fingers is crossed.

Noone has or ever will become proficient,by talkin' about shooting or employing slowwwwwww "learning". One needs to roll up their sleeves and simply shoot a [bleep] bunch. As centerfires go,the 223 and 308 are the paths of least resistance,regarding both ammo quality and bang for the buck,for the gent who don't load. 'Course they get even better,if/when he makes that transition. Hint.

Gimme an OEM Montucky in either chambering,wearing a 6x42/M1 in LW's flingin' Factory Fodder and I can have a gent blowing his own mind,on the very first poke.

Of course one is gonna hear all the Goat [bleep] stupid schit,about Turd Polishing CM spouts,Boomer chamberings,contours greater than Cow and all the asinine Fluff,for pissing up ropes and I DO appreciate that humor farrrrrr more than anyone else.(grin)

I prolly gots a few T-shirts.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Montana in whatever. Leupy of choice in LW's. Press, brass and bullets. By spring you wont know what to do with yourself....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!

whole lotta stupid right there

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
don't understand the logic in pointing someone who doesn't shoot enough to bother reloading towards a 300 WBY for mostly deer sized animals- 7/08 or 308 would serve him a lot better, I believe-

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by slg888
Get a McMillan & new Sako Finnlight. Take the rest of cash & buy your reloading equipment.

I was going to post the same thing last night but did not want to derail the thread. I would bet the finnlight would out shoot the custom also.

Dink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Kimber Montana 7mm-08, 280 AI, 300 WSM or 7 WSM - $1000
Leupold 3.5-10 or 6x36 or 6x42 - $350
Talley rings - $40
Rockchucker supreme reloading kit - $500

Well under $2500 and way ahead of the game, imho.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Royce
don't understand the logic in pointing someone who doesn't shoot enough to bother reloading towards a 300 WBY for mostly deer sized animals- 7/08 or 308 would serve him a lot better, I believe-

+100

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade

I watched one of those [bleep] the bed for three days in a rifle class one time. Damn thing would not reliably feed or extract. The only reason the guy didn't wrap it around a tree is it was borrowed. Nice wood though?

My Steyr never missed a beat. Neither did any of the Remmys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these days I'm going to build me a "long range Mauser".........lol

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn
One of these days I'm going to build me a "long range Mauser".........lol

I did one on a M70 Laredo/Hart barrel chambered .264 wm. CRF, 2 POS (sic) safety, blah blah...

it is as silly as it sounds. I would not do it again.

my 'heavy' SS M700 .264 is on it's third barrel less issues and is a better mousetrap

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (300_savage, 308xray, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.