Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been through it all and somewhere I've pics of my Mouser 22-250AI with double-set trigger and the highest [bleep] rollover cheekpiece,Reinhart ever let rattle outta da shop. Hell...the Walnut was even purty to boot.(grin)

Was sorta retrospectin' the other day and figure I'm at or near 100 Custom spouts and couldn't even begin to [bleep] guess how many OEM spouts deep,into R&D. Might even be a new build settin' in the box on the Reloading Bench,that arrived after I shoved off for work. Though in fairness,it prolly ain't a [bleep] Mouser.(grin) Though I do reckon that it's prolly handy/dandy and gots some reserve RPM plumbed into it.

I simply [bleep] Mousers,because I've had more than a few (96 and 8's) and have as of yet to see one worth a [bleep]. I simply [bleep] Winchesters,because I've had more than a few(54's,pre/post/transition/Classic 70's and CRPF)...the best of the lot was a "lowly" 70 CRPF Coyote 7Whizzum,holy [bleep] balls did that thing SHOOT! Biggest piece of schit [bleep] rifle I ever had was a 70 XTR FW 223,followed by a TRG-S 30-378. Have had herds of Sakos and routinely appreciated 'em,though the new schit sucks ass. I suffer Coopers. Have had a schit ton of Ruger boltguns(MkI/MKII/transitions and all have been rather [bleep] sound and more than a few dazzled. I've never [bleep] Ruger bolts and might not ever will,though they's trying,here as of late.(grin) The more I think about it,the more rifles I've had/have and I would be curious to know that number. I tend to shoot schit hard and let the chips fall where they may and due that volume,I just mighta learnt a couple/few thangs.

It is refreshing to see a gent musing his first build,with a lick of sense,as that NEVER [bleep] happens. A handy/dandy lithe S/A,is an approach farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr different from most and THE money maker,which just might actually get used. "Trouble" is that Today,killer rifles abound turnkey on the shelves and that sorta takes some of the fun outta building.(grin)

There was a time not so very long ago,when a guy simply HAD to build,to field sumptin' Skookum,but the grass is much greener now. I'd go so far as to say,that'd be a good thang.

Even with them sound choices available,folks is in the hurriest of hurries,to [bleep] schit up. They never think about boolits and are routinely wayyyyyy over case-capacitied and wayyyy under boolited. Which is an intellesting Dichotomy. From there they don't ever shoot the [bleep] thang,because it is no fun and then wonder WTF,when the "results" run concurrent with the time/rounds spent in practice. Funny schit!

Less is just ohhhh sooooooooooooo veddy much more and in oh so many ways. Handy/dandy FUN,has no equal in it's appeal and it's relative effectiveness is bolstered in non-lineal fashion,due that familiarity. Funny how it all works.(grin)

The most colossal [bleep]-ups I've seen on Critters,were in the upper end of the case capacity spectrum and I've no patent on viewing such findings. This by guys who proclaimed to "shoot" and then dismally reiterated the reality of the ruse obliviously. I long ago learned to make guys shoot,prior to Showtime,so I've an inkling of what to expect. Very often I slap their schit out of their hands and give 'em sumptin' way better than good,instead. I'd rather hurt feelers,then let sumptin' good walk away. Such things bolster the economy and redistribute Wealth.(grin)

I reckon it is no secret I [bleep] hate 308's,but for a gent without callouses on his trigger finger and Popeye forearms from the Reloading Press,it's a great first pitch for Game/Utility. The 223 goes without [bleep] sayin' and the ability to extrapolate good habits from one platform to another,is a breeze. Lotsa folks get in a hurry and miss that,by doing the stupid [bleep] long and stupid [bleep] heavy contour schit,in an epic abortioned Goat [bleep] that handles/balances/carrys like schit...then ain't no [bleep] fun to shoot. I'm still waiting for some cross-eyed Windowlicker to say "add a muzzle brake". [bleep] Wow +P+!

You give me someone who's paying the [bleep] attention,a handy/dandy rifle with good ammo and an erector of repute and in a single poke...the game has [bleep]-a CHANGED for them,BY them. I get the appeal of watching me shoot,but it's always best to let folks blow their own minds first.

Have yet to see it go ANY other way and we's talking 100's and 100's of rifles. Noone visits the second time,with the same schit they schlepped initially,because noone is THAT tough.(grin) Hell...gents I ain't ever seen in the flesh,let alone shot with,seem to procure in similar fashion after giving the how/why/what's a serious thunk.

Hint.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!

This post is almost funny, if not insane. BTW, the OP said whitetail deer 99% of the time.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Kimber Monti in .260, 7-08 or .308. Good mounts and scope.

Shoot up the rest of the $$$$$$$.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Remington short action
timney trigger
#2 taper hart barrel @ 22 inches
308 Winchester for the non reloader or not
McMillan edge stock of your liking
put together by Bob Green in York Pa.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Easy to see the need for the life saving CRF/Mauser when hunting face to face with charging game in the "dark continent" ......lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Sheister
Throwing in the Elk and Moose into the equation makes me think a 300 Mag of some sort would be a good investment. With the short action, this would be my idea-

Win 70 Stainless in 300 WSM, new PacNor Stainless barrel, mountain contour or just a bit larger, McMillan Edge stock in your choice of color combo, Timney trigger, custom bottom metal, Pachmayr decelerator pad.

Money left over to get a good scope, rings, bases and buy some reloading equipment and components.

Bob

The moose is an extremely long shot. I already own a 7mm rem mag model 70 and a Sako Finnlight 270.

Is the consensus for the Rem 700 action and custom barrel plus McMillan stock, or is there a better route for around $2500?

Concensus? Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

Controlled round feed, Mauser claw extractor, fixed blade ejector action for me, settleds into a nice chunk of Walnut all the way!

Is this a serious post? A rebarreled supergrade to .300 roy?

Build and scope 2 and a half ss faux ti 700's....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Kimber Montana 7mm-08, 280 AI, 300 WSM or 7 WSM - $1000
Leupold 3.5-10 or 6x36 or 6x42 - $350
Talley rings - $40
Rockchucker supreme reloading kit - $500

Well under $2500 and way ahead of the game, imho.

+1 on this. I went with a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and a Kahles 3.5-10x50, and the Talleys and the Rockchucker. I has certainly worked for me.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if accuracy is your first want I would go more than 7#'s I would call GAP rifles and order a non typical probably in the new 6.5 SAUM they have come up with. I think its very unwise to build on a factory action if you have this much money to spend. There are too many nice remington clones to put money into a factory action. plus your resale will be much better with a custom action. BAT machine, defiance machine etc are much better choices for a custom rifle these days. the GAP rifle will is a bit more than your budget. but it will be money you can get back if you ever want to sell it. a custom on a remington action or worse yet some tired old mauser that some have suggested will be lucky to be worth half what you put in it if you decide you want something else. the GAP rifle will be worth probably about 85% of what you pay instead of half.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad

whole lotta stupid right there

Really, now....

Quite allright to have a different opinion, especially if it is based on facts and personal experience that is substantial enough to be useful but even then name calling is pretty lowlife.

I stand by my thoughts on the matter, which are based on experience that exceeds that of likley most folks, my having been able to travel and hunt a great deal as well as hunt vicariously through the experiences of my clients when I was in the hunting business and having been priviliged to sit around the campfire with many PH's and guides whose expereince in real hunting situations will exceed most anyone here on the board with only a very few exceptions. I also made it a habit to read the reports of which rifles were doing well as in staying together and functioning reliably through the PH rifle proficiency exams in Zimbabwe and other African Countries whenever such reports were made available.

I base my input and reccomendations upon those experiences and sources of knowledge. No stupid in there at all, amigo. And I recomended the 300WBY due to its great flexability when moose and bear were added to the equation. Some like little rifles for such creatures, but I do not.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

This post is almost funny, if not insane. BTW, the OP said whitetail deer 99% of the time.

Post is based upon pretty significant experience here as well as Africa. Moose and bear in the equation, and long range as well so the 300WBY makes complete sense. I used it as my primary big game cartridge for quite a few years, in many settings, including some Whitetailed deer and it worked marvelously.

Again, different opinions are good for the forum, name calling and being demeaning another member, whose experience and knowledge might even exceed your own, is unnecesary and reflects more poorly on the poster who stoops to such childish content and method than the originator of the idea.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have built SEVERAL effective long range big game rifles on Mauser or Winchester Model 70 actions and they have worked quite well. One of them has many, many kills on truly large game to its credit and is still a mainstay in my battery. I am in the proccess of building another specialized long range rig on an FN Mauser with a quite nice Piece of Walnut for its handle, as is my custom and preference.

Some here will obviously have a different idea. Great! State something of your experience and your opinion or ideas on the matter. My ideas might be different, but I hope that I have not yet stooped to belittleing another experienced hunter and member. If I have, I hereby sincerely apologize.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my gawd, dude...the OP wants a ~7# SS SA/synthetic. that's a reasonable and realistic wish list.

is the polar opposite really the best you can do?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Post is based upon pretty significant experience here as well as Africa. Moose and bear in the equation, and long range as well so the 300WBY makes complete sense. I used it as my primary big game cartridge for quite a few years, in many settings, including some Whitetailed deer and it worked marvelously.

Again, different opinions are good for the forum, name calling and being demeaning another member, whose experience and knowledge might even exceed your own, is unnecesary and reflects more poorly on the poster who stoops to such childish content and method than the originator of the idea.

No name calling here. I just think it's insane to use a .300 Roy when 99% of the OP's hunts are for WT deer. I don't think you read his post very closely.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy balls... A 300 Wby?

.308 Montana and good glass will cover all the bases and leave enough for a nice night out with the missus.

Bonus points will come in handy.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Cry me a river, they aren't calling you stupid, but the idea of using a 300 Wby on tiny Bama whitetails. Stop taking it so personally. OP said 99% on the little deer out here, absolutely no reason for any 300 mag, even if 1/100 hunts is for elk.

I'd go 7-08 or 7saum myself since he wants a short action. 7WSM if he wants more power, but not at all necessary for Bama. If elk is doubtful, 257 Rob or 260 Rem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Anyone thinking this has helped find an answer to the original question is nuts. Fighting over what caliber, what build for a stupid rifle that won't get shot more than 50 times in it's life.

Coming to the campfire for advice is like going to a women's retreat for marital problems, it would be better to pull a pin and throw in a hand grenade...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A womens retreat for marital advice? Dam, I'm stll laffin!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What could I have built for $2500 rifle only. Let me set up what I like and you guys help me decide what I can do.

Stainless and synthetic. Short action.

Accuracy number one but I want to stay around 7 lbs. Less nice but not to sacrifice accuracy.

Will hunt white tail deer 99% of the time with a possibility of Elk or mule deer, black bear, moose.

I'm not a reloader but likely will be.

I would like suggestions on action, barrel, caliber and stock. Is this a reasonable expectation on price? Who should I get to build it? I really don't want to wait 5 years. Would second hand be a better choice?

Thanks for any help for a newby to the custom world.

Yep, .300 Roy should get it done.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Anyone thinking this has helped find an answer to the original question is nuts. Fighting over what caliber, what build for a stupid rifle that won't get shot more than 50 times in it's life.

Coming to the campfire for advice is like going to a women's retreat for marital problems, it would be better to pull a pin and throw in a hand grenade...

What could I have built for $2500 rifle only. Let me set up what I like and you guys help me decide what I can do.

Stainless and synthetic. Short action.

Accuracy number one but I want to stay around 7 lbs. Less nice but not to sacrifice accuracy.

Will hunt white tail deer 99% of the time with a possibility of Elk or mule deer, black bear, moose.

I'm not a reloader but likely will be.

I would like suggestions on action, barrel, caliber and stock. Is this a reasonable expectation on price? Who should I get to build it? I really don't want to wait 5 years. Would second hand be a better choice?

Thanks for any help for a newby to the custom world.

Well, if you want a plasticized soul-less rifle with bolt parts which have a too high (for me) failure rate. For $2500 you should be able to buy a Winchester Model 70 super Grade, have it re barreled to any number of excellent calibers like 300WBY or other good fast hard hitters, get an top notch scope for it plus your dies and ammo and be SET.

No name calling here. I just think it's insane to use a .300 Roy when 99% of the OP's hunts are for WT deer. I don't think you read his post very closely.

Sometimes a few here just can't resist interjecting their pompous BS.

Throw a bunch of parts and money at a Remington and at the end of the day it is still a push feed, week extractor, failure prone ejector Remington.

Kind of like starting a custom car build with a Chevy Vega or Ford Taurus, excepting that the Vega or Taurus is MORE reliable than the Model 700. But the concept is similar in that there are lots of them out there, many parts for them, and lots of guys do start there for those reasons and post pictures here of them and the other cheap rifle lovers oooh and ahhh over them a bit, but no matter the paint job or tires or adding a turbo, it is still just a Vega/ Model 700 / Taurus. Blessings,

Mark

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Sometimes a few here just can't resist interjecting their pompous BS.

Thanks for the insight you Pompous ass.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.