Home
Hey members
Came across a Savage 99 in .300 sav, and purchased it for several reasons. First, after researching the manufacturing date by way of the serial number, it appears to be a 1925 sn 2764xx. Obviously there are lots of old gun in the world, and I'm not a collector of antique firearms, but the condition of this rifle at 97years was very impressive. I own many other non Savage rifles, as old as 70yrs, that all have original finishes, so I can distinguish factory from refinished. Along with the superficial condition, and appearance, was the mechanical condition of the lever assembly, receiver, chamber etc. Also an experienced gunsmith commented after examining the bore, that there might have been less than 5 shots fired from the gun. Beyond the rifle itself, was the optics. The Lyman Alaskan scope, while not actually period, seems appropriate. It functions well and is in cosmetically good condition.
I know from initially researching, that a lot of the members here are major enthusiasts and knowledgeable concerning the 99 etc. Maybe take a look and make some comments regarding the possible model, value, miscellaneous observations.

Some additional information:
20inch heavyish barrel
Crescent butt style
No checkering
Marked with a small Capital "K" only on the lever boss
SS# 2764xx on reciever, and on inside of Crescent butt plate
Bluing is 98% and is light blue with a subtle sheen.

Thanks in advance! PICTURES ARE FORTHCOMING
Kenny
Congratulations Kenny!! You have begun down a path that will undoubtedly lead to you to many more Savage 99s!!! The Savage 99 is a fantastic rifle that was way ahead the times when first introduced. The 300 Savage is an excellent cartridge capable of taking elk-sized game. Heck of a deer rifle too. And still being loaded commercially.

The Lyman Alaskan 7/8 " scope is just the right one to mate with your 99. I am guessing that your rifle has been drilled and tapped after market, unless that is, you have a Stith mount. If you do have the Stith, that is a real bonus!!!

Enjoy!!! - T.S.
It has the Stith mounting system
Sounds very nice! If it has a crescent buttplate, it would be a 99A (Version 1) if it’s a solid frame or a 99B if it’s a takedown. But neither of those would have a 20” barrel, and in fact there was never a factory 300 Savage 20” barrel that I can think of until the 1960’s 99E and the rare as hen’s teeth 99A Version 2 in the 1970’s. Standard barrel length for a 99A Version 1 in 300 Savage would be 26” or 24” depending on when it was made. At 276,xxx it should be a 26” barrel.

So waiting for the pictures to be able to tell you more.
20" 300 Savage barrel?

Something don't smell right...
Savage 99’s will follow you home. They know the way now!!
From an article I was reading:

99F Lightweight 20", 22", & 24" or featherweight 22" & 24" both in takedown Straight grip some with checkering Steel shotgun butt Straight, schnoble tip Bead in integral base on lightweight or raised ramp on
Does not explain the crescent butt though....

My gun say model "1899" on top of the reciever is it possible it is a transition model to the "99"?
A 1899H perhaps that also came in 300 sav
Is the barrel measured from crown to where it enters the reciever or farther in where the cartridge seats?
I'm not able to post pictures from my smartphone, but I'm working on it...
Originally Posted by SkinnyKenny
From an article I was reading:

99F Lightweight 20", 22", & 24" or featherweight 22" & 24" both in takedown Straight grip some with checkering Steel shotgun butt Straight, schnoble tip Bead in integral base on lightweight or raised ramp on
Does not explain the crescent butt though....

My gun say model "1899" on top of the reciever is it possible it is a transition model to the "99"?
A 1899H perhaps that also came in 300 sav
The MODEL 1899 stamp on top of the receiver happened from late 1920 to 1926, and from mid-1921 the rifles were model 99's. The change from calling them Model 1899's to Model 99's was just a marketing name change and not a physical change, so Savage didn't bother changing the 1899 stamp until they made some actual changes to the rifles in 1927. Then they changed the stamp to Model 99.

So your rifle says MODEL 1899, but the 1925 catalog and pricelist definitely listed everything as Model 99A to Model 99H. This is one of the confusing parts of Savage model names..

Serial number 276,4xx would probably date to April or May of 1925 (always possible it was finished later though). The barrel lengths for the various models for 300 Savage in 1925 was:
99A - 26"
99B - 26"
99C - 24"
99D - 24"
99E - 24"
99F - 24"
99G - 24"
99H - not sold in 300 Sav. that year, only in 30-30/303 Sav.

Other cartridges came in 22" barrels for the 99C/99D, and in 20" or 22" for the 99E/99F/99G that year. But the 300 Savage wasn't offered in anything under a 24" barrel as a standard length until the 99T was introduced in 1935. And that was a 22" barrel.

You can send pictures to me at [email protected] if you'd like. I can post them up. Might also want to pull the buttplate off the rifle and check the serial number on the buttplate and end of the buttstock to see if they match the receiver. The forearm will also have a serial number on it.
From Savageshooter.com

"The 1899H, also a carbine model with a 20” barrel but the barrel was light weight and the butt stock was normally a shotgun type butt. Some had hard rubber plates and some wore the regular steel plate. This was a model that you would usually find in a “take down” configuration and most of the 22 H.P.’s people find these days are in this model of 1899. Although a number of them were made in 303 and 30-30 without the TD feature. Now here’s where we get into the transition rifles. This is going to confuse a few people about what they’ve got. The 1899H and the early model 99F are almost identical, the only thing we can go by on what model it is will be the serial number, even though the two rifles overlap each other. Most of the 1899H’s will have a serial number under 200,000 except for a bunch of the 22H.P.’s which went up into the 220,000’s, thus puzzling us if we have an early 99F under 220,000. Also, both of the models may have been stamped with “Savage 1899” on the top of the barrel. Dating your rifle will make a big difference here, if it’s older than 1921 your more than likely holding an early model 99F, under that would be the 1899H. Same goes for the model 1899A in T/D and the early model 99B, both identical guns but dating them or lettering the gun will be the key point in discovering what model you have. Some of the early 1899H’s came with a rear sight called the 21B, it will have a small disk on the front of the sight and is a dead giveaway that you have an 1899H, the 1899F’s also used this rear sight but the saddle ring means it’s an 1899F."
Seems like a lot of possibilities?
Yeah.. that’s old data. That’s mostly based off of Doug Murray’s book which was written in the 80’s. We’ve done a lot more research since then.

The 1899’s including the 1899H were made until mid-1921 and the model names were coined by Doug Murray based on the telegraph code used to order them from Savage. Savage never catalogued or knew of a model 1899H - you won’t find it listed in any catalog or price list or ad. The 1899H had telegraph codes starting with H, the 1899A had telegraph codes starting with A’s. Etc. An exception are the named grades and the model 1899 250-3000 which Doug Murray didn’t coin names for. And VERY few 1899’s were made in 1921, high inventory and a crushing depression killed sales.

The 99 models were named by Savage as 99A, 99B, 99C, etc. Not named by Doug Murray in the 1980’s based on telegraph codes. This appears to have happened in the early fall of 1921 - and it happened to ALL models at the same time. Not staggered over years like Murray thought, we have price lists from Savage which prove that.

And the 300 Savage cartridge was released in the fall of 1921 also. So you won’t find 1899’s chambered in 300 Savage unless they were reworked, only 99’s were made in 300 Savage.
Relevant to your rifle in 1925, here is the Savage Arms price list for that year. As you can see, all listed as 99’s.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
SkinnyKenny, you might be interested in a copy of Calhoun's book on the Savage lever rifles:

“The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Watch All The Savage 99 Models :

or David Royal's (Wyo1895 here on the Forum) book on Savage Lever rifles:

"For a copy of my book on Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $60 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]"
Where does one measure to on a 99 to determine true barrel length? My gun has 20+ inches exposed, do you count the dimension inside the reciever also? 22" callout perhaps?
You measure from the muzzle to the front of the bolt when it's closed. So yes, you include most of the receiver ring.

Here's a 24" barrel on my 99A in 300 Savage. It's a bit later than your rifle, as can be seen by the front sight ramp. That started around serial number 300,000.

Yep. As is the case with most/all? rifles, barrel length is measured from the tip of the muzzle to the end of the barrel chamber seated in the receiver. You may have a 22 inch barrel.

Skinny, now that you are being hooked on the Savage 99 LOL, I suggest you get a copy of Calhoun's book and David Royal's. Both are excellent with good photos.

T.S.
My mistake on the measurement....I sent you the photos...
Thanks Tex
I did remove the butt plate, and the serial numbers match up with the reciever...A little reluctant to remove soft brass screw to ascertain the foreend numbers, the butt and front stock are identical in color and grain...
Here's the pictures

That's a beauty but someone shortened the barrel. It originally would have a dovetail slot for the front sight. It is a 99A that originally had a 26" barrel.
I wouldn't have the slightest problem carrying that rifle to the range or on a hunt, it looks good. better than a lot of my 99's. Love the Stith and Lyman Alaskan, that's a classy setup.

But, it has been refinished. Somebody loved that gun, and had the stock refinished, metal reblued and the barrel shortened. Good work on the receiver, but it's a bit darker than the normal 1925 blue on Savage 99's. And the lever is blued rather than case colored, a common sign that a 99 has been reblued. The side panels on the buttstock are a bit subdued from being sanded, and there's some wood missing on stock corners like above the lever and the top rear corner of the forearm.

It is what it is, and I bet it shoots just fine.

It's tough to find 99A Version 1's that weren't used and most seem to have quite a bit of wear. Here's a 1929 99A, the studs are aftermarket but the rest is factory. You can compare the stock and bluing to see what I'm seeing.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/savage-model-99a-lever-action-rifle_7EB4D4FB35

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]
So someone refinished a rifle that had possibly 5 shots out of it, with ZERO wear on moving parts? They were able to absolutely remove all wood to metal and oil discoloration on a 97 year old rifle. They blued it with while leaving all letter and number absolutely crisp? They cut off possibly 4 inches of barrel, but somehow there had been a front sight removed just back of the current existing crown? The tiny very thin corners of wood on foreend were chipped not sanded off....The stock's current lack of any discoloration is not possible with steaming, sanding, chemical etc.
And the subtleties and the fine condition of the bluing is absolutely consistent with the stock's, and the lever is not blued..Calhoun you first started the the rifle would have had a 26" barrel, then the catalog suggested a 24" was possible, it seems like you're trying to fit a shifting and non definitive information base with your initial narrative? You cannot evaluate the bluing subtleties by way of marginal photos...If I somehow presented a new in box model 99 from 1925, you would almost certainly say it had been refinished because it was to shiny?
Also your example of the bluing on the rifle you posting is just starting to show the metal underneath, a blued rifle in better condition would obviously look darker?
99A's in 300 Savage made later than yours would have a 24" barrel. Like the barrel of MY 99A in 300 that I posted a picture of when I showed how to measure a barrel. I've been consistent in saying YOUR rifle would have a 26" barrel.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Sounds very nice! If it has a crescent buttplate, it would be a 99A (Version 1) if it’s a solid frame or a 99B if it’s a takedown. But neither of those would have a 20” barrel, and in fact there was never a factory 300 Savage 20” barrel that I can think of until the 1960’s 99E and the rare as hen’s teeth 99A Version 2 in the 1970’s. Standard barrel length for a 99A Version 1 in 300 Savage would be 26” or 24” depending on when it was made. At 276,xxx it should be a 26” barrel.

Serial number 276,4xx would probably date to April or May of 1925 (always possible it was finished later though). The barrel lengths for the various models for 300 Savage in 1925 was:
99A - 26"

99B - 26"...

As to the rest.. Let's see who else weighs in. No reason to trust just me.

PS: I could be wrong on the receiver being reblued.. been fooled before by pictures. But I don't think so given a blued lever and a refinished stock.
You're ignoring the fact a trained gunsmith said 0 to 5 shots fired out this rifle, why refinish a stock and blue metal that's never seen the outside of a safe?
The 24" barrels didn't come out until 1926 and on some models 1927. They were medium weight your rifle has the heavier rifle weight barrel that was discontinued about 1926 or 27. That groove near the muzzle on your barrel isn't anything Savage did. your barrel would have had a dovetail slot. All 99's had case hardened levers at that time.
...and my gut reaction to reading the first post proves out. Another internet troll has found the campfire and exposed all of you frauds who people regard as experts. What would we do without these self proclaimed saviours??
I don't think he's a troll, he sent me the pictures from a personal account.

He doesn't like what he's hearing, and doesn't realize that there are practically no gunsmiths outside of Turnbull's shop that are Savage 99 experts.
You're ignoring the fact a trained gunsmith said 0 to 5 shots fired out this rifle, why refinish a stock and blue metal that's never seen the outside of a safe?

News flash, it ain't factory original. Bluing is not factory, barrel length is not factory. Sorry it hurts you, but it's the truth.

You're ignoring the fact that your gunsmith is an idiot.
Here's a comparison for the bluing. Your 99A on top, glossy and really dark finish. A very nice original condition 99G in 303 below, serial number 272,368. These two guns were made within 3 months or so of each other.

The 99G isn't as shiny black as yours.

And the 99G lever and receiver again, along with the sharply defined side panel present on unused/lightly used 99's.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

We all need to be educated, there are just too many different guns that were made with different finishes to be an expert on all of them.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Calhoun,
I came here to find out the particular model 99 I had purchased, you and these other members are no doubt highly experienced in the subject matter. I am not, but I do have some experience with rifles in general, and an appreciation for well preserved antiques and collectible pieces of history. Besides the specific information regarding, I also wanted to share finding basically what I thought was a treasure. Unfortunately you decided to make definitive judgments on the finishes, that unlike the potentially factual knowledge of models, calibers etc, might require a closer evaluation? Since my last post I took the rifle to a man who has 40yrs of experience, not with Savage 99s, but has blued hundreds of rifles, and refinished, and made as many stocks. He said that he was 100% sure the bluing was factory, as was the wood finish. Also he said that the line near the crown had certainly been a integral front sight removal. That does not preclude the possibility that someone cut off a 26" barrel, and the installed a new sight, and removed it later? The great overall condition does not suggest that kind of hands on history, but 97 years is a long time...
I think its possible that there were custom shop rifles, and maybe you have convinced yourself that you have all the answers, instead of just most of them?
The bluing on my rifle is not as dark and shiny as my crappy photo suggests...I would difine mine as mellow blue with a mild shinne.
Your stock is definitely crisper, but my gun seems more like a lower end model, like a sporter Weatherby Vanguard, cheaper at the time
H Maybe take a look and make some comments regarding the possible model, value, miscellaneous observations.

Kenny
This is what I went from - you asking for model, value, miscellaneous observations.

Everything I say is "my opinion", and not put out to diss the gun or you. Just to pass along what I think. I could lie to you if you'd prefer, but that seems... silly.
If people disagree we should still be able to keep the conversation civil.

Going just off the pictures, I'd say there is no doubt ( in my humble opinion ) that gun has been refinished. But pictures are sometimes hard to show things. However, one thing that does it for me is that lever sure looks like it's been blued. Also the finish on the wood doesn't look like varnish, but again hard to tell.

Nice rifle either way, and has my favorite scope setup for 99s.

If you'd rather go for more official information, lettering it may tell more.
Originally Posted by damnesia

Going just off the pictures, I'd say there is no doubt ( in my humble opinion ) that gun has been refinished. But pictures are sometimes hard to show things. However, one thing that does it for me is that lever sure looks like it's been blued. Also the finish on the wood doesn't look like varnish, but again hard to tell.

That's why 6 million Jews burned.
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
Originally Posted by damnesia

That's why 6 million Jews burned.

Wow you are a powerfully stupid troll. I'm sure Hitler's entire hatred of jews came from arguing about antiques.
250 Sav age

Do you think Calhoun knows EVERYTHING about all the different models and grades of Savage 99's? Do you think he can tell the difference with certainly whether a bluing job is factory, by looking at an out of focus photograph? I don't think he thinks that...

Let's just assume I'm right and the bluing is factory original, based on what the trained professional who examined it an hour ago said. Also that the stock is original. Now the biggest issue and doubt is was that the original sight that was removed? If so that means the barrel was 22 inches and maybe it's not a 99a? It might have been a 26" 99a, but there is a room for discussion yes? That is worth examining on a board that is dedicated to learning and exploring history, unless we already know EVERYTHING! I've already satisfied my that Calhoun was wrong about the bluing, and probably the wood finish. I'm predicting he is probably right about the model, but the jury is still out...
Rifle has been reblued, refinished and barrel has been cut.

As previously noted...
They even blued the lever for crying out loud.
I bet the end of the barrel is blued too....
Your opinion was stated as "it is what it is" and it "has been refinished" ....Sounds like statements of facts to me? On the other hand you said you'd been wrong before about photos, so not looking for a lie just context, and maybe latitude inyour opinion?
You guys are a echo chamber at this point...Later
Even an amateur can see that the stock has been sanded. The cheek pads are rounded and not sharp, too much of the bottom tang exposed and the forearm fit to the receiver isn't great.

That gun would have never ever in a million years left the factory like that.

All that being said it's a very nice rifle, but somebody spruced it up. There is no shame in that. Certainly no reason to be upset.

In fact I think Calhoun was very helpful and polite. And accurately described your rifle.

You should be thanking him for his knowledge and honesty.
Seeing as a couple of the guys you're arguing with have literally written and published fairly comprehensive books about these rifles, there's a reason for a pretty general consensus on it not being in original form.
And another thing, you can see that the screws on the receiver have been turned. There are tool marks on them, but the bluing is still perfect in the slat holes? Been reblued.

All red flags and any experienced expert gunsmith or collector would have no problem recognizing them.

Nice gun. But it is what it is.
But Calhoun had no problem disregarding and dismissing Mr. Murray's book? The nature of it "original form" is what is being contested....And determining, without question, the originality of the bluing based on the photo is guessing, not expertise. He is an expert on the models, but not the finish as he's seen it, sorry...
I tighten all the screws yesterday, probably did that myself, try again...
It been around who knows where for almost 100yrs! I didn't say it was new or a deluxe edition...
SkinnyKenny,

Is the lever blued?
Another interesting factoid is the 1925 catalog, from Savage, list the model 99A to weigh 8lbs even. Well, if you weigh my rifle without the 11oz Lyman Alaskan, 7oz Stith mounts total weight 1.5 pounds, the bare rifle weigh 7lbs even....And no, the 3+ inches of barrel that supposedly got cut off did not weigh a full 1 pound!!!
Time to hit the books gentleman?
Lafin
Another interesting factoid is the 1925 catalog, from Savage, list the model 99A to weigh 8lbs even. Well, if you weigh my rifle without the 11oz Lyman Alaskan, 7oz Stith mounts total weight 1.5 pounds, the bare rifle weigh 7lbs even....And no, the 3+ inches of barrel that supposedly got cut off did not weigh a full 1 pound!!!
Time to hit the books gentleman?

The gentlemen that you are disregarding and being condescending in your remarks wrote the books.
i have been building and shooting buying and selling guns for 60 years+. every type and grade. if i want to know something Savage 1895-99 these are the gentlemen i listen to.
i can discern disappointment in your post responses.
you thought you had found the Holy Grail of old guns. I have been there and done that.
I felt the same when these gentlemen dissected what i had and i learned i hadn't found the nicest specimen extant.
and everything these gentlemen pointed out was correct.
you will not find better or more aggregate knowledge on the savage than here.
Rory was the consummate polite gentleman with his responses, and i will openly bet you 100.00 that his assessment is correct.
cool off and you will learn much.
Dang.. now I'm really curious to know what an 1899A/pre-1927 99A barrel weighs. I've got a 22" 1899A SR barrel handy to weigh.. do I want to drag a takedown 1899A out of the safe? Hmm...

I can see a new chart for the bigger book - barrel weights. grin

22" 1899A SR barrel - 44.6 oz.
As far as his judgment on which model my gun is, he could very well be correct, and I was not condescending about that point. My point was he could not with absolute certainty determine that the bluing and stock had been redone with unclear and poorly lite photos. He also blew off an eyes on evaluation by a 40 year gunsmith with tons of bluing experience. He also avoided any comment about the remaining separate piece of metal were the front site would had been, because it put his 26inch barrel narrative in question...Will he avoid the full 1 lb weight discrepancy in the model 99A and my rifle?
Is this a discussion board or Calhoun's "I have spoken" board? I have no doubt they probably know more about Savage model 99s then anyone but they dont a free pass on every aspect of gun evaluation, sorry I dont buy into it...
You guys are a echo chamber at this point...Later

It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and you're wrong about the configuration of your rifle being factory original. Just because you want to believe that something is so doesn't make it so. There is a saying among Savage guys, that when it comes to Savage, never say never, but the probablility of your rifle being original is to the right of the decimal point following 0.

Doug Murray's book has a number of errors in it that have been well documented and which Calhoun has corrected in his book.

My personal perspective is that if a firearm isn't in a recognized cataloged configuraiton than I want to see a factory letter confirming that any variation to the accepted standard was made at and documented by the factory. Anything that isn't factory original is "custom".
You used the catalog in proving your facts today, should we ignore it if I make my point quoting it? Maybe Savage overstated the weight of their rifle by almost a pound? Now I'll speak with certainty....no friggin way...
I'll say it again. I never said the configuration was for certain factory, I pointed out some evidence that it might be a different factory configuration that was not obvious. Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced? Calhoun do you think that? I'll check the factory like you said, now that is logical....
I don't know that much about Savage lever guns, but I don't recall any that were cataloged with a combination of a curved buttplate, a solid frame, and a 20" barrel.
I'll say it again. I never said the configuration was for certain factory, I pointed out some evidence that it might be a different factory configuration that was not obvious. Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced? Calhoun do you think that? I'll check the factory like you said, now that is logical....

The factory can't help you, as they sent their old records to the Buffalo Bill Center Of The West in Cody, WY. If you buy a factory letter from Cody, you'll find out that your rifle isn't original.

I think that Calhoun knows more about Savage lever guns than you do, by a ratio of at least 100 to 1.

Arguing with a recognized subject matter expert is a waste of everybody's time. Just sayin'.......
This was more about the bluing and wood finish, than his savage knowledge. If he had the gun in front of him I would have yielded to his superior knowledge in a second, but he made assumptions based on faulty evidence, bad science...
The guys here taught me about Savages.. the thought this is the "Calhoun's I have spoken board" is ludicrous. Many guys haven't spoken up, but why would they want to insert themselves into the drama?

I'm just a guy who wrote a book.

So you want my responses.. okay.

1) Gunsmith evaluation - he's not a Savage 99 expert, so what's he comparing it to? A Winchester finish, or a Marlin finish, or a Remington finish, or some Savage finish from later or earlier on? So his opinion boils down to - it looks factory quality. Not necessarily Savage factory quality. Lots of shops out there can do a factory quality refinish, especially if you look at the last 75 years of gun repair.

2) Front sight - the only thing that strip on the barrel resembles is the front sight slot on 1899H's made from 1906 to about 1911. This is not a featherweight 1899H barrel from 10 years or more before the 300 Savage cartridge was introducedd. So the obvious guess is that it's a slot cut into the barrel to braze on a 3rd party front sight ramp after the barrel was cut. Probably removed when the Stith was put on because it would have been blocking the scope view. That slot is absolutely not right on that barrel.

3) Weight question - what's this even matter? So you lost 6" of barrel which is probably at least 10oz, and you have a walnut stock with almost no grain which means it might be lighter than average. That puts you really close to 1 lb light. I don't think I've ever heard anybody argue their rifle must be a different model because the weight doesn't match the catalogued weight.

And I DO recommend you get a letter. But..

The 1925 Savage ledgers won't tell you what barrel length the rifle was. It WILL tell you:
1) what model the rifle was
2) what it was chambered in
3) when it was accepted from the factory
4) when it shipped
5) who it shipped to

They stopped recording barrel length in the ledger when they started writing down the model name. Barrel length was redundant, because the barrel lengths were all standard to the models as catalogued.

If there was custom work done on it, there will be a job number. No details as to what work was done.. just a job number indicating something was done. Maybe a different sight, maybe a repair, maybe a shorter barrel. It'll cost you $75 to get the above info from Cody, unless you are a museum firearm member.
Okay then, well I'm very impressed that you can discern one professional bluing job from another from a bad photo, possible I guess.

The weight loss was actually 4" of barrel, I mismeasured remember? Not 10 ounces for sure....

The sight scenario is possible, but your lack of input seemed like avoidance to me.

Your matter of fact dismissal of the bluing without any attempt at explanation, other than it's a little dark hurt your credibility.
If you're going be dispensing expert advice you may need to provide solid reasoning also, you're still speculating but food for thought, I'll skip the koolaid
Okay then, well I'm very impressed that you can discern one professional bluing job from another from a bad photo, possible I guess.

The weight loss was actually 4" of barrel, I mismeasured remember? Not 10 ounces for sure....

The sight scenario is possible, but your lack of input seemed like avoidance to me.

Your matter of fact dismissal of the bluing without any attempt at explanation, other than it's a little dark hurt your credibility.
If you're going be dispensing expert advice you may need to provide solid reasoning also, you're still speculating but food for thought, I'll skip the koolaid

Man I thought I was grumpy.

LOL
In case anybody wants to see the full sized photo of the receiver that I got, here it is. Might help others form an opinion.

https://i.imgur.com/EHHGJBJ.png
Never argue with a fool, as bystanders might not know which is which.

Maybe SkinnyKenny can find a SME who will validate his perspective on his rifle.

How many times has someone said that their rifle was "original", only to find out that their definition of "original" was that it was in the "original" configuration that he received it in. There is factory, as cataloged, original and then there is after it left the factory original, not necessarily the same thing.
Dang.. now I'm really curious to know what an 1899A/pre-1927 99A barrel weighs. I've got a 22" 1899A SR barrel handy to weigh.. do I want to drag a takedown 1899A out of the safe? Hmm...

Those old 1899 barrels are beef sticks. Makes me wonder if the weight would be identical to a solid frame 22"SR barrel.🤔 I have no hands on experience with the takedowns.
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
Another proof of, you can't cure stupid......
Sanded cheek pads, blued lever, sure thats original. LOL
Originally Posted by zcm82

Those old 1899 barrels are beef sticks. Makes me wonder if the weight would be identical to a solid frame 22"SR barrel.🤔 I have no hands on experience with the takedowns.
Good question. I think they'd be close, the cutouts for a takedown barrel aren't that large. Might be an ounce or so difference.
Just now reading this thread …. My gosh.

SK - I have met Calhoun, face-to-face. He is kindhearted and a gentleman. He is generous with his knowledge.

I met Calhoun, Rory Reynoldson, at the November ‘21 Tulsa Gun Show. He was manning a Savage booth, selling his pocket guide and had several incredible samples of ‘99s on display.

He has written a very helpful book about the 99 and he has a website about them as well. Read his book, and you will (should be) blown away by his knowledge. Hell, I will foot the bill to purchase and have the book shipped to you if you will commit to actually reading the book.

I went to that gun show expressly looking to buy my first 99. Rory was a continuing source of expertise. As I found candidates to purchase, I would return to chat with Rory who would patiently listen to me describe what I had found, offer opinion and guidance, and lend an opinion about value. Several times.

I did buy my first 99 at that shoe. A 1915 manufacture that has been modified - barrel cut off to about 19”. What was the tell-tale sign? Lack of a front sight. I love the gun, but it is a shooter, not a collectors piece.

Since that time, I have reached out to Rory a few times asking his opinions of other 99s I have considered for purchase. Every time. Rory has been polite and very prompt in reply.

SK - I suggest the next words you type and publicly post should be along the lines of “I owe you an apology; I made an statement driven by emotion and my statement unjustly attacked you. Please forgive me.”

Let me know if you decide to take me up on my offer to buy Rory’s book.
Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced?

Damn right I do! It's not rocket science. He's an anal retentive Data Base Analyst. I trust his data!
"Let's just assume I'm right and the bluing is factory original, based on what the trained professional who examined it an hour ago said"

I am wondering if the trained professional noticed the lever being "factory blued"?
kind of throws much more weight to his opinion as an expert don't it? laugh

the tragedy here is the OP will never enjoy what he has because of his dashed unreal concept of the "Special configuration" in his mind.
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced?
Damn right I do! It's not rocket science. He's an anal retentive Data Base Analyst. I trust his data!
Thanks... I think? grin

At this point he just needs to letter it if he thinks it's factory. If there's a job number on the entry, something was done to it.
"Thanks... I think? grin"

Yeah, I didn't want yur head to swell too much. wink
This guy reminds me of when one of Larry Root's alias would post.

Lee
This is better entertainment than cable TV!

Attached picture netclipart.com-smiley-clip-art-free-3751484.png
© 24hourcampfire