Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's the pictures

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a beauty but someone shortened the barrel. It originally would have a dovetail slot for the front sight. It is a 99A that originally had a 26" barrel.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't have the slightest problem carrying that rifle to the range or on a hunt, it looks good. better than a lot of my 99's. Love the Stith and Lyman Alaskan, that's a classy setup.

But, it has been refinished. Somebody loved that gun, and had the stock refinished, metal reblued and the barrel shortened. Good work on the receiver, but it's a bit darker than the normal 1925 blue on Savage 99's. And the lever is blued rather than case colored, a common sign that a 99 has been reblued. The side panels on the buttstock are a bit subdued from being sanded, and there's some wood missing on stock corners like above the lever and the top rear corner of the forearm.

It is what it is, and I bet it shoots just fine.

It's tough to find 99A Version 1's that weren't used and most seem to have quite a bit of wear. Here's a 1929 99A, the studs are aftermarket but the rest is factory. You can compare the stock and bluing to see what I'm seeing.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/savage-model-99a-lever-action-rifle_7EB4D4FB35

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So someone refinished a rifle that had possibly 5 shots out of it, with ZERO wear on moving parts? They were able to absolutely remove all wood to metal and oil discoloration on a 97 year old rifle. They blued it with while leaving all letter and number absolutely crisp? They cut off possibly 4 inches of barrel, but somehow there had been a front sight removed just back of the current existing crown? The tiny very thin corners of wood on foreend were chipped not sanded off....The stock's current lack of any discoloration is not possible with steaming, sanding, chemical etc.
And the subtleties and the fine condition of the bluing is absolutely consistent with the stock's, and the lever is not blued..Calhoun you first started the the rifle would have had a 26" barrel, then the catalog suggested a 24" was possible, it seems like you're trying to fit a shifting and non definitive information base with your initial narrative? You cannot evaluate the bluing subtleties by way of marginal photos...If I somehow presented a new in box model 99 from 1925, you would almost certainly say it had been refinished because it was to shiny?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Also your example of the bluing on the rifle you posting is just starting to show the metal underneath, a blued rifle in better condition would obviously look darker?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
99A's in 300 Savage made later than yours would have a 24" barrel. Like the barrel of MY 99A in 300 that I posted a picture of when I showed how to measure a barrel. I've been consistent in saying YOUR rifle would have a 26" barrel.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Sounds very nice! If it has a crescent buttplate, it would be a 99A (Version 1) if it’s a solid frame or a 99B if it’s a takedown. But neither of those would have a 20” barrel, and in fact there was never a factory 300 Savage 20” barrel that I can think of until the 1960’s 99E and the rare as hen’s teeth 99A Version 2 in the 1970’s. Standard barrel length for a 99A Version 1 in 300 Savage would be 26” or 24” depending on when it was made. At 276,xxx it should be a 26” barrel.

Originally Posted by Calhoun
Serial number 276,4xx would probably date to April or May of 1925 (always possible it was finished later though). The barrel lengths for the various models for 300 Savage in 1925 was:
99A - 26"

99B - 26"...

As to the rest.. Let's see who else weighs in. No reason to trust just me.

PS: I could be wrong on the receiver being reblued.. been fooled before by pictures. But I don't think so given a blued lever and a refinished stock.

Last edited by Calhoun; 05/16/22.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
You're ignoring the fact a trained gunsmith said 0 to 5 shots fired out this rifle, why refinish a stock and blue metal that's never seen the outside of a safe?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 24" barrels didn't come out until 1926 and on some models 1927. They were medium weight your rifle has the heavier rifle weight barrel that was discontinued about 1926 or 27. That groove near the muzzle on your barrel isn't anything Savage did. your barrel would have had a dovetail slot. All 99's had case hardened levers at that time.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
...and my gut reaction to reading the first post proves out. Another internet troll has found the campfire and exposed all of you frauds who people regard as experts. What would we do without these self proclaimed saviours??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think he's a troll, he sent me the pictures from a personal account.

He doesn't like what he's hearing, and doesn't realize that there are practically no gunsmiths outside of Turnbull's shop that are Savage 99 experts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SkinnyKenny
You're ignoring the fact a trained gunsmith said 0 to 5 shots fired out this rifle, why refinish a stock and blue metal that's never seen the outside of a safe?

News flash, it ain't factory original. Bluing is not factory, barrel length is not factory. Sorry it hurts you, but it's the truth.

Last edited by 250Sav_age; 05/16/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You're ignoring the fact that your gunsmith is an idiot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a comparison for the bluing. Your 99A on top, glossy and really dark finish. A very nice original condition 99G in 303 below, serial number 272,368. These two guns were made within 3 months or so of each other.

The 99G isn't as shiny black as yours.

And the 99G lever and receiver again, along with the sharply defined side panel present on unused/lightly used 99's.

[Linked Image from p1.gunbroker.com]

We all need to be educated, there are just too many different guns that were made with different finishes to be an expert on all of them.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Calhoun,
I came here to find out the particular model 99 I had purchased, you and these other members are no doubt highly experienced in the subject matter. I am not, but I do have some experience with rifles in general, and an appreciation for well preserved antiques and collectible pieces of history. Besides the specific information regarding, I also wanted to share finding basically what I thought was a treasure. Unfortunately you decided to make definitive judgments on the finishes, that unlike the potentially factual knowledge of models, calibers etc, might require a closer evaluation? Since my last post I took the rifle to a man who has 40yrs of experience, not with Savage 99s, but has blued hundreds of rifles, and refinished, and made as many stocks. He said that he was 100% sure the bluing was factory, as was the wood finish. Also he said that the line near the crown had certainly been a integral front sight removal. That does not preclude the possibility that someone cut off a 26" barrel, and the installed a new sight, and removed it later? The great overall condition does not suggest that kind of hands on history, but 97 years is a long time...
I think its possible that there were custom shop rifles, and maybe you have convinced yourself that you have all the answers, instead of just most of them?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The bluing on my rifle is not as dark and shiny as my crappy photo suggests...I would difine mine as mellow blue with a mild shinne.
Your stock is definitely crisper, but my gun seems more like a lower end model, like a sporter Weatherby Vanguard, cheaper at the time

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
H Maybe take a look and make some comments regarding the possible model, value, miscellaneous observations.

Kenny
This is what I went from - you asking for model, value, miscellaneous observations.

Everything I say is "my opinion", and not put out to diss the gun or you. Just to pass along what I think. I could lie to you if you'd prefer, but that seems... silly.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If people disagree we should still be able to keep the conversation civil.

Going just off the pictures, I'd say there is no doubt ( in my humble opinion ) that gun has been refinished. But pictures are sometimes hard to show things. However, one thing that does it for me is that lever sure looks like it's been blued. Also the finish on the wood doesn't look like varnish, but again hard to tell.

Nice rifle either way, and has my favorite scope setup for 99s.

If you'd rather go for more official information, lettering it may tell more.

Last edited by damnesia; 05/16/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by damnesia

Going just off the pictures, I'd say there is no doubt ( in my humble opinion ) that gun has been refinished. But pictures are sometimes hard to show things. However, one thing that does it for me is that lever sure looks like it's been blued. Also the finish on the wood doesn't look like varnish, but again hard to tell.

That's why 6 million Jews burned.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
Originally Posted by damnesia

That's why 6 million Jews burned.

Wow you are a powerfully stupid troll. I'm sure Hitler's entire hatred of jews came from arguing about antiques.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (anothergun, 338Rules, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 934 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.