Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'll say it again. I never said the configuration was for certain factory, I pointed out some evidence that it might be a different factory configuration that was not obvious. Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced? Calhoun do you think that? I'll check the factory like you said, now that is logical....

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know that much about Savage lever guns, but I don't recall any that were cataloged with a combination of a curved buttplate, a solid frame, and a 20" barrel.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SkinnyKenny
I'll say it again. I never said the configuration was for certain factory, I pointed out some evidence that it might be a different factory configuration that was not obvious. Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced? Calhoun do you think that? I'll check the factory like you said, now that is logical....

The factory can't help you, as they sent their old records to the Buffalo Bill Center Of The West in Cody, WY. If you buy a factory letter from Cody, you'll find out that your rifle isn't original.

I think that Calhoun knows more about Savage lever guns than you do, by a ratio of at least 100 to 1.

Arguing with a recognized subject matter expert is a waste of everybody's time. Just sayin'.......

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/16/22. Reason: fixed an error
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
This was more about the bluing and wood finish, than his savage knowledge. If he had the gun in front of him I would have yielded to his superior knowledge in a second, but he made assumptions based on faulty evidence, bad science...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The guys here taught me about Savages.. the thought this is the "Calhoun's I have spoken board" is ludicrous. Many guys haven't spoken up, but why would they want to insert themselves into the drama?

I'm just a guy who wrote a book.

So you want my responses.. okay.

1) Gunsmith evaluation - he's not a Savage 99 expert, so what's he comparing it to? A Winchester finish, or a Marlin finish, or a Remington finish, or some Savage finish from later or earlier on? So his opinion boils down to - it looks factory quality. Not necessarily Savage factory quality. Lots of shops out there can do a factory quality refinish, especially if you look at the last 75 years of gun repair.

2) Front sight - the only thing that strip on the barrel resembles is the front sight slot on 1899H's made from 1906 to about 1911. This is not a featherweight 1899H barrel from 10 years or more before the 300 Savage cartridge was introducedd. So the obvious guess is that it's a slot cut into the barrel to braze on a 3rd party front sight ramp after the barrel was cut. Probably removed when the Stith was put on because it would have been blocking the scope view. That slot is absolutely not right on that barrel.

3) Weight question - what's this even matter? So you lost 6" of barrel which is probably at least 10oz, and you have a walnut stock with almost no grain which means it might be lighter than average. That puts you really close to 1 lb light. I don't think I've ever heard anybody argue their rifle must be a different model because the weight doesn't match the catalogued weight.

And I DO recommend you get a letter. But..

The 1925 Savage ledgers won't tell you what barrel length the rifle was. It WILL tell you:
1) what model the rifle was
2) what it was chambered in
3) when it was accepted from the factory
4) when it shipped
5) who it shipped to

They stopped recording barrel length in the ledger when they started writing down the model name. Barrel length was redundant, because the barrel lengths were all standard to the models as catalogued.

If there was custom work done on it, there will be a job number. No details as to what work was done.. just a job number indicating something was done. Maybe a different sight, maybe a repair, maybe a shorter barrel. It'll cost you $75 to get the above info from Cody, unless you are a museum firearm member.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Okay then, well I'm very impressed that you can discern one professional bluing job from another from a bad photo, possible I guess.

The weight loss was actually 4" of barrel, I mismeasured remember? Not 10 ounces for sure....

The sight scenario is possible, but your lack of input seemed like avoidance to me.

Your matter of fact dismissal of the bluing without any attempt at explanation, other than it's a little dark hurt your credibility.
If you're going be dispensing expert advice you may need to provide solid reasoning also, you're still speculating but food for thought, I'll skip the koolaid

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay then, well I'm very impressed that you can discern one professional bluing job from another from a bad photo, possible I guess.

The weight loss was actually 4" of barrel, I mismeasured remember? Not 10 ounces for sure....

The sight scenario is possible, but your lack of input seemed like avoidance to me.

Your matter of fact dismissal of the bluing without any attempt at explanation, other than it's a little dark hurt your credibility.
If you're going be dispensing expert advice you may need to provide solid reasoning also, you're still speculating but food for thought, I'll skip the koolaid

Man I thought I was grumpy.

LOL

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In case anybody wants to see the full sized photo of the receiver that I got, here it is. Might help others form an opinion.

https://i.imgur.com/EHHGJBJ.png

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never argue with a fool, as bystanders might not know which is which.

Maybe SkinnyKenny can find a SME who will validate his perspective on his rifle.

How many times has someone said that their rifle was "original", only to find out that their definition of "original" was that it was in the "original" configuration that he received it in. There is factory, as cataloged, original and then there is after it left the factory original, not necessarily the same thing.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Dang.. now I'm really curious to know what an 1899A/pre-1927 99A barrel weighs. I've got a 22" 1899A SR barrel handy to weigh.. do I want to drag a takedown 1899A out of the safe? Hmm...

I can see a new chart for the bigger book - barrel weights. grin

22" 1899A SR barrel - 44.6 oz.

Those old 1899 barrels are beef sticks. Makes me wonder if the weight would be identical to a solid frame 22"SR barrel.🤔 I have no hands on experience with the takedowns.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Another proof of, you can't cure stupid......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sanded cheek pads, blued lever, sure thats original. LOL

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Dang.. now I'm really curious to know what an 1899A/pre-1927 99A barrel weighs. I've got a 22" 1899A SR barrel handy to weigh.. do I want to drag a takedown 1899A out of the safe? Hmm...

I can see a new chart for the bigger book - barrel weights. grin

22" 1899A SR barrel - 44.6 oz.
Those old 1899 barrels are beef sticks. Makes me wonder if the weight would be identical to a solid frame 22"SR barrel.🤔 I have no hands on experience with the takedowns.
Good question. I think they'd be close, the cutouts for a takedown barrel aren't that large. Might be an ounce or so difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just now reading this thread …. My gosh.

SK - I have met Calhoun, face-to-face. He is kindhearted and a gentleman. He is generous with his knowledge.

I met Calhoun, Rory Reynoldson, at the November ‘21 Tulsa Gun Show. He was manning a Savage booth, selling his pocket guide and had several incredible samples of ‘99s on display.

He has written a very helpful book about the 99 and he has a website about them as well. Read his book, and you will (should be) blown away by his knowledge. Hell, I will foot the bill to purchase and have the book shipped to you if you will commit to actually reading the book.

I went to that gun show expressly looking to buy my first 99. Rory was a continuing source of expertise. As I found candidates to purchase, I would return to chat with Rory who would patiently listen to me describe what I had found, offer opinion and guidance, and lend an opinion about value. Several times.

I did buy my first 99 at that shoe. A 1915 manufacture that has been modified - barrel cut off to about 19”. What was the tell-tale sign? Lack of a front sight. I love the gun, but it is a shooter, not a collectors piece.

Since that time, I have reached out to Rory a few times asking his opinions of other 99s I have considered for purchase. Every time. Rory has been polite and very prompt in reply.

SK - I suggest the next words you type and publicly post should be along the lines of “I owe you an apology; I made an statement driven by emotion and my statement unjustly attacked you. Please forgive me.”

Let me know if you decide to take me up on my offer to buy Rory’s book.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced?

Damn right I do! It's not rocket science. He's an anal retentive Data Base Analyst. I trust his data!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Let's just assume I'm right and the bluing is factory original, based on what the trained professional who examined it an hour ago said"

I am wondering if the trained professional noticed the lever being "factory blued"?
kind of throws much more weight to his opinion as an expert don't it? laugh

the tragedy here is the OP will never enjoy what he has because of his dashed unreal concept of the "Special configuration" in his mind.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Do you really think Calhoun knows every model99 configuration that Savage produced?
Damn right I do! It's not rocket science. He's an anal retentive Data Base Analyst. I trust his data!
Thanks... I think? grin

At this point he just needs to letter it if he thinks it's factory. If there's a job number on the entry, something was done to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Thanks... I think? grin"

Yeah, I didn't want yur head to swell too much. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This guy reminds me of when one of Larry Root's alias would post.

Lee

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.