Home
Posted By: Fireball2 Collecting changes - 09/03/22
I'm a relatively new collector, or accumulator, compared to many here. When I started, really good standard Savages could be had for $300-500. When you saw one for $1600 you were looking at something very special. Supply was steady, condition was available if you wanted the best and were diligent. Now Savages selling for thousands aren't uncommon. Now a private seller can't ship a firearm or even firearm parts thru UPS.

What's the next big change you see coming?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Well, at least they won't be able to break any more of your guns.

laugh
https://www.saf.org/ups-releases-new-woke-rules-for-shipping-firearms/
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by 99guy
Well, at least they won't be able to break any more of your guns.

laugh

I'd like to sell about 40, but am afraid to ship them for fear of damage and the subsequent denied claim, and now am unable to privately ship them.

When are conservatives going to wake up and realize we have been declared war on by an illegitimate government?
Send them to auction. Let them deal with the hassles. Small price to pay.
This is really just a smoke screen by UPS to get the government and the broken gun claims off their back.

They will still ship anything you bring them, however, now the risk is on the shipper. You don't have to tell them what it is, or you can just make something up. Golf clubs or baseball bats comes to mind. It's not illegal to break their policy. The UPS police aren't going to kick your door down and drag you off to UPS prison.

Just sayin...
Posted By: 513JAKE Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
I suspect the almighty dollar will do a number in disbanding the Savage fraternity on this board. “We are but temporary caretakers.” and “I want my guns to be with somebody who doesn’t think the best guns are made of black plastic.” All that stuff goes out the window when the scent of cash is in the air. Folks are less interested in making sure their accumulation stays with Savage loyalists when the return on investment is 3:1. Many will puff their chest and say “Not me! I have enough money and when I die I won’t need more!” Yeah, ok. It is what it is.

This isn’t an attack on Roy. I like Roy because his stripes are visible whether you like them or not. Just making conversation.

Jake
People paying big money for these guns are Savage guys. Who else would pay those prices? So I don't see how anything goes out the window...
Posted By: Lightfoot Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
OK, UPS is not the only shipper in town. I used USPS for my first shipment years ago. Insurance was sky high so I discovered FedEx Ground and never looked back.

Create an account with FedEx and do your shipping online. Print the label and drop off the box at a Fedex location. Done.

I've had 2 claims with FedEx. I got paid on both. One was straightforward and the other took calls to the FedEx president's office.

The last few guns I shipped were enclosed in a frame I made from 1X4 boards and put them in a cardboard box. Nothing got broke or bent.

Face it, we are becoming a shrinking community of 2nd amendment supporters and the far left would seize our guns in a heartbeat if they could. Hold 'em tight!
Originally Posted by 513JAKE
I suspect the almighty dollar will do a number in disbanding the Savage fraternity on this board. “We are but temporary caretakers.” and “I want my guns to be with somebody who doesn’t think the best guns are made of black plastic.” All that stuff goes out the window when the scent of cash is in the air. Folks are less interested in making sure their accumulation stays with Savage loyalists when the return on investment is 3:1. Many will puff their chest and say “Not me! I have enough money and when I die I won’t need more!” Yeah, ok. It is what it is.

This isn’t an attack on Roy. I like Roy because his stripes are visible whether you like them or not. Just making conversation.

Jake

If you read the tea leaves and realize your Apple stocks are going to take a huge hit because the government is openly (and successfully) coming after Apple trying to put them out of business, would you bullishly hang onto Apple or would you sell? Many factors, including a hostile government, are currently in play when it comes to firearms collections.

I collected many nice firearms, most are really nice examples, which are preserved for the next generation of collectors. I'm thinking now may be the time to pass them on. Life changes,I only need a few to hunt with.
Posted By: 513JAKE Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
“Send them to auction” doesn’t have the same romanticism as the Priory of Sion’s mission. But as previously mentioned, plenty will see things differently than me. I can live with that.
This is really just a smoke screen by UPS to get the government and the broken gun claims off their back.

I believe UPS hired a third party to handle claims, no doubt on a percentage basis, which blanket denied most or all claims. Fighting them consisted of email format communication until such a time they simply quit replying, leaving the claimant in a lurch. It's criminal and they should be sued for fraud and racketeering. I haven't heard anything about the government being involved with UPS damage claims.

They will still ship anything you bring them, however, now the risk is on the shipper.

When they blanket deny most or all damaged firearms claims, you realize real quickly they never intended to honor the "insurance" they sold you. It is fraud plain and simple.

You don't have to tell them what it is, or you can just make something up. Golf clubs or baseball bats comes to mind. It's not illegal to break their policy. The UPS police aren't going to kick your door down and drag you off to UPS prison.

Lots of things are happening that shouldn't be, I'E. "isn't legal". Right now there's a bunch of people in prison over Jan 6 that haven't been charged, haven't gotten a speedy trial, and it's illegal. But it's happening anyway and no one is breaking them out.

Just sayin...
Posted By: S99VG Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Roy, thanks for putting it up!
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
OK, UPS is not the only shipper in town. I used USPS for my first shipment years ago. Insurance was sky high so I discovered FedEx Ground and never looked back.

Create an account with FedEx and do your shipping online. Print the label and drop off the box at a Fedex location. Done.

I've had 2 claims with FedEx. I got paid on both. One was straightforward and the other took calls to the FedEx president's office.

The last few guns I shipped were enclosed in a frame I made from 1X4 boards and put them in a cardboard box. Nothing got broke or bent.

Face it, we are becoming a shrinking community of 2nd amendment supporters and the far left would seize our guns in a heartbeat if they could. Hold 'em tight!

From FedEx website-

Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state, or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. Customers holding an FFL must enter into an approved FedEx Firearms Shipping Compliance Agreement before shipping any firearms with FedEx. Also, you must be an approved firearm shipper with a signed contract on file with FedEx. For more information, contact your FedEx account executive.

Nonlicensees are prohibited from shipping firearms with FedEx.
Well, ya got me there... Haven't kept up.

What about USPS?
Originally Posted by S99VG
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Rou, thanks for putting it up!

You bring up an interesting point. The market is flooded with the "problem child" 99's you describe, but for some reason they're still priced at 2x what a good one used to cost. Are they selling?
Well, ya got me there... Haven't kept up.

What about USPS?

Still ok to ship USPS, but... for how much longer with an openly hostile government?
Posted By: S99VG Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
For me I've been looking at these rifles since I was a kid so having just hit 63, by my calculations, that means I've had my tent pitched in the 99 camp for about 53-years. Are 99s worth as much as they are going for now? Obviously they are worth what the market will bear but the increase in price means I will be acquing fewer, albeit my "acquisition" has always counted on the humble side. My personal trend has been to trim down my 99 "needs" even more and to start looking at other firearms that seem to have been a little less affected by the inflated market. To address Roy's question, I think its obvious that "collecting changes" will be far fewer 99s acquired by many guys, especially those just sarting out. And my advice to them would be to figure out what you are interested in and save your pennies for that prize, and to avoid grabbing the first cheap rifle that came your way. I think we've all did that and learned that they too became problem children. In that context I would not walk away from appropriately priced 99s that had been altered by previous owners by drilling and tapping and additions of kick pads if the work was done decently. I might take such a 99 and put on a period correct scope and mount to end up with something the average guy would have been proud to have had in our parent's generation. Good question Rou, thanks for putting it up!

You bring up an interesting point. The market is flooded with the "problem child" 99's you describe, but for some reason they're still priced at 2x what a good one used to cost. Are they selling?

I dunno, but maybe that's what everyone is getting rid of these days - and at an inflated price too!
Posted By: texken Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
the fed x is easily solved, go to my local gun store, pay the $25.00 transfer and ship
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Still ok to ship USPS, but... for how much longer with an openly hostile government?[/quote]

Shipped one yesterday USPS. $60 from MN to Vermont priority and $900 ins. The clerk didn't know if he could ... had to ask the manager.

A couple years ago I brought one in and the clerk refused to ship, so did the manager. I went home, printed of their regulations and went back with a copy and the letter you need to hand them and asked for the manager again ... they shipped it.

This is the letter I use and provide the clerk; they stamp and file it. If you go priorty and insure for $501 or more you meet option c. below.
August ___, 2022
To: Post Office

Package contains a Savage Model 99 rifle. It is unloaded and no ammunition is included in the package. The rifle in not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d of USPS DMM Revision: Mailing Firearms – Clarification. Package also contains a copy of the FFL licensee of the addressee.
Mail with a “Return Service Requested” endorsement and mail via the cheapest of the following three options:
a. Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or
b. Registered Mail,
c. or must in¬clude either insured mail service (for more than $500) requiring a signature at delivery.
Ensure for $______.

Sincerely,

"UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, “Firearm Products”) for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

I did not look up Title 18, Chapter 44, but I assume a licensed collector is someone who has a C&R FFL. If that is true, this is just another reason to get a C&R FFL if you don't already have one.
Good info!

Looking at the USPS insurance rates it looks like half your cost is for insurance?
Posted By: Rick99 Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
In the UPS info...
"Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law.  This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12."

I think this says that all firearms must have a serial number regardless of whether it is required by law. A lot of older .22 are not serial numbered.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Why a collector doesn't get his C&R license which helps to cut through the red tape that's snarling our world is beyond me. Seriously, it was the best $30 I ever spent, has saved me many logistical headaches, and saved me enough transfer fee money to have bought me another nice rifle.

Personally I'd had it with UPS for a long time, and have used USPS and FedEx quite satisfactorily. Meeting FedEx requirements only takes a few minutes of time on a computer. I've spent more time and been more frustrated dealing with medical insurance companies recently. Heck, even before I got the account with FedEx recently it was no big deal to "complete the paperwork" at one of their computer stations at the terminal.

As for collecting challenges, we rose above the hassles one by one as they've been thrown in our paths starting with the Gun Control Act of 1968, and we'll continue doing so. You going to roll over and surrender to this latest glitch or will you beat them at their own game? "Did we surrender when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!!!"
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22

Yep, I received one of Mike's well packaged rifles once. It took me and my then FFL guy about a day and a half to crack it open!🤪
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
Good info!

Looking at the USPS insurance rates it looks like half your cost is for insurance?
Good info!

15 for non-standard length And 16 insurance
I have always sent my guns USPS priority. Probably at least 50 over the years. Never had an issue.

Ever

Eventually all shippers are going to get out of the gun and ammo business.

Plan accordingly.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: Collecting changes - 09/03/22
USPS is not allowed to ask if you are shipping a gun.
Nor are they allowed to refuse to ship one.
No handguns via USPS unless you're an FFL.
They will ship live chickens, don't forsee them banning guns.
BTW USPS is not a US government run organization.
"Don't keep putting your foot on bridges you may never come to."
Posted By: 99guy Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
USPS is a government run organization. Anything they do has to approved by congress. Including budget, employee pay and postage rates. The USPS board of governors is appointed by the President with the consent of the senate.

However, it is not funded by the government, so technically it isn't a government agency like the Department of Defense or Department of Interior, Secret Service or FBI or BATF ect., etc.

You can ship any long gun anywhere in the US as long as it goes to an FFL. Handguns must go FFL to FFL. Regrettably there are many postal workers that don't know and understand their own policies or rules.

My wife has been a USPS employee for 35+ years and has ascended pretty high in management ranks.

I don't have any problems shipping guns USPS or getting claims for myself or my colleagues resolved, as long as they were smart enough to buy the insurance. If you do file a claim and it is paid, you must surrender the gun. You don't get the money and keep the gun. You get one or the other.

It ain't going to last forever though. Eventually the Dems are going to legislate shipping guns via USPS out, especially for us without FFLs. So pray for a Republican congress as long as you live.
Originally Posted by Rick99
In the UPS info...
"Any item that meets the definition of a firearm (including firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law.  This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR § 478.12."

I think this says that all firearms must have a serial number regardless of whether it is required by law. A lot of older .22 are not serial numbered.

Realistically:

Are they going to tear your package apart to make sure the gun you are shipping has a serial number on it?

It's not legal to drive 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. You could get a ticket for that. But nobody does.

What is the punishment for shipping a gun or gun part against UPS "policy"? A good tongue lashing from the clerk or supervisor? It's not even against the law. It's against their policy. UPS is a private company. They don't make laws. They are not a legislative body.

Holy sheet....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
Originally Posted by Rick99
In the UPS info...

Realistically:

Are they going to tear your package apart to make sure the gun you are shipping has a serial number on it?

It's not legal to drive 66 mph in a 65 mph zone. You could get a ticket for that. But nobody does.

What is the punishment for shipping a gun or gun part against UPS "policy"? A good tongue lashing from the clerk or supervisor? It's not even against the law. It's against their policy. UPS is a private company. They don't make laws. They are not a legislative body.

Holy sheet....

Just the same, nobody wants UPS to tip off the feds "Hey, here's a guy you may want to look at." Legal or not, nobody likes an audit.
Easy answer is use USPS. F UPS.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
I've heard chatter about old timey collectors aging out and not being replaced.
Posted By: JoeMartin Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
The really sorry thing here, is when I started at UPS in 1986, if you didn’t have an accident, every year you got a catalogue of safe driving gifts. Toaster ovens, golf clubs, and starting at about ten years safe driving, Wetherby rifles and Browning shotguns. Now they wouldn’t be able to ship their safe driving gift.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
...and newbie collectors not being able to afford this stuff.

What's left? Middle aged guys with more money than good sense buying/hoarding stuff that drives the guys on either end of the time spectrum out of the game, simply because they are driven to accumulate "stuff"? Could be that's the way it's always been. Case in point: I've developed a keen interest in vintage single shot rifles at a point pretty late in my life, and find the best/most interesting stuff to be far outside my relatively fixed income. Would that I had delved into them in my middle years when the costs were lower and/or I had the money to indulge. I actually had a very keen interest in them when I was young, but didn't have the means to pursue them, and then interests shifted.

The whole "collector" mindset has always kind of baffled me. I've never felt compelled to acquire complete sets of anything, be it silver dollars, stamps, baseball cards, pokemon dolls, or guns. I accumulate stuff that bears against what's required to pursue my interests du jour, and when those interests fade that stuff goes away to make room/finance the next interest. What I have collected though is a pretty wide range of knowledge - which is something that doesn't go away (at least until Father Time has his way). And that, dear hearts, is the best kind of collection IMO.
Posted By: S99VG Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
Yep, well said. The best collection we could ever have is what we gather for, and keep in, our hearts and minds.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Collecting changes - 09/04/22
What comes to Lyndeborough STAYS in Lyndeborough. And that's a fact Jack!
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Everything?
Posted By: Tinemaster Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
what fireball said few comments back I said this maybe ten yrs ago at trappers convention same for trap collecting old timers are disappearing and very few new young getting in to it. My wife got sick and I sold most of my collection at that time would do it all again if I had to but in todays times I don't think that collection is a avenue I would get back in to
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Yep, well said. The best collection we could ever have is what we gather for, and keep in, our hearts and minds.

There's a few really special firearms that just make your soul sing. Those are the ones that matter in a collection.

But, with that being said, what if they all got stolen, or burned up in a fire? In the end, they're all just things, they're not our identity. A man has to be able to "stand alone". One day soon, we will all stand stripped and laid bare before our Creator. They won't matter then, other than maybe how they were a stumbling block.
Posted By: savage1920 Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Well said fireball
Posted By: Skidrow Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Well said but not always well understood.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
A buddy told me on Saturday, your the only one that I know that still hunts with a Savage 99 hes 70. The gun shows around here, old guns don't sell to well anymore, it's ARs or new bolt guns. See alot of oldies, but prices are way high, and the old dealers won't lower there prices!
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Everything?
Well, almost!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Thinking about selling the whole schlemiel and buying a vintage Jaguar in England and drive it around Europe for a month chasing good beer. The fact that Europe is dealing with an insane fuel crisis right now is a strong deterrent though. Maybe I should put the idea aside and seek out the Sharps Borchardt I've always wanted instead, or an Owen-built Springfield sporter, or a.......
Posted By: S99VG Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by savage1920
Well said fireball

I’ll second that motion!
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22

There's a few really special firearms that just make your soul sing. Those are the ones that matter in a collection.

But, with that being said, what if they all got stolen, or burned up in a fire? In the end, they're all just things, they're not our identity. A man has to be able to "stand alone". One day soon, we will all stand stripped and laid bare before our Creator. They won't matter then, other than maybe how they were a stumbling block.

Sadly, I have this personal experience.

Long, long time ago when I was in my mid-20’s, my house was burglarized. Pretty big heist. Lost a grandfather clock that was a wedding present from my parents, jewelery, 35mm camera + equipment, hunting knives, and all of my small gun collection except for my .357 Blackhawk. Other things were taken too. The 1984 value of the total loss was about $10,000. Happened on Good Friday - my then-wife and I were both working that holiday.

I lost the 200th year Ruger M77 .270 wearing a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10 which Dad had purchased for me, a beautifully stocked unfired Tikka 7mm Rem Mag (Dad had the exact same gun which I later inherited), an unfired Winchester ‘94, a SKB 200E 12-ga with a luggage case, a Springfield-Stevens semi-auto .22 that Dad had given me as a boy and a Mossberg single-shot bolt action .410 I had purchased from a family friend. As you can see by the details that I still remember about 38 years later, I treasured these guns. And you see the connections to Dad.

I even sold the Blackhawk a few years later and did not replace it.

This burglary experience changed my attitude about collecting guns. Eventually, I purchased two guns. A deer rifle and a shotgun, and I still have both. But it was 35 years before I acquired any more guns. Losing my guns was a painful experience. Only in the past 3 years have I started acquiring guns again.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by AdventureBound

Sadly, I have this personal experience.

Long, long time ago when I was in my mid-20’s, my house was burglarized. Pretty big heist. Lost a grandfather clock that was a wedding present from my parents, jewelery, 35mm camera + equipment, hunting knives, and all of my small gun collection except for my .357 Blackhawk. Other things were taken too. The 1984 value of the total loss was about $10,000. Happened on Good Friday - my then-wife and I were both working that holiday.

I lost the 200th year Ruger M77 .270 wearing a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10 which Dad had purchased for me, a beautifully stocked unfired Tikka 7mm Rem Mag (Dad had the exact same gun which I later inherited), an unfired Winchester ‘94, a SKB 200E 12-ga with a luggage case, a Springfield-Stevens semi-auto .22 that Dad had given me as a boy and a Mossberg single-shot bolt action .410 I had purchased from a family friend. As you can see by the details that I still remember about 38 years later, I treasured these guns. And you see the connections to Dad.

I even sold the Blackhawk a few years later and did not replace it.

This burglary experience changed my attitude about collecting guns. Eventually, I purchased two guns. A deer rifle and a shotgun, and I still have both. But it was 35 years before I acquired any more guns. Losing my guns was a painful experience. Only in the past 3 years have I started acquiring guns again.

I am sorry to hear this story. Thanks for sharing it.
I suffered a bad break in myself back in 14 and lost a fair amount of my collection. I said the hell with it for a couple of years but then had to realize it was just "stuff." No lives were lost. At the end of the day it's all just stuff, or material, and it's our good fortunes in life to have the opportunity to acquire. Many poeple can't. But I do stop from time to time and ask myself this question. What if it were all to go away tomorrow? Would I let it get under my skin or take it in stride? And if my answer is the former I keep working on it until I'm comfortable with the latter. And maybe all of the discussion we've been having on this topic may have something to say about the future of collecting guns with inflated values. It's just stuff, and its high priced stuff at that. And that makes the decsion to "leave it on the table" pretty simple.
It's just stuff, and its high priced stuff at that. And that makes the decsion to "leave it on the table" pretty simple.

High priced stuff is getting easier to walk away from. You can't have it all, at least I can't, so I have to make choices. I do have other things in my life that require money! I keep telling my wife my addiction to food and shelter is going to be the death of my gun collecting! LOL I just hope and pray I don't get the bug to build another 4 wheel drive truck before I die!
Yeah, that addiction to food is a tough one to kick. The withdrawals will kill you. And I keep fighting the urge to acquire another MGB, like the one I had in my teens and early 20s! Right now I own two Savage 99s. I liquidated 50% of my 99 collection about a year ago to make way for other things. But I am thinking about a Long Tom 99A in 303 to fulfill some more recent addictions. My other two 99s are both prewar, one being a take down 303 and the other an EG in 300 I got from you sir (Roy/Fireball) that fits my soul much as you described a few comments back.
Y an EG in 300 I got from you sir (Roy/Fireball) that fits my soul much as you described a few comments back.

I remember the EG well. I have a mate to it but in 30-30. Those uncheckered EG's have an understated elegance about them.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
I have reduced my inventory significantly in the past year. I still have all the guns I'll ever need. And then some.

Still some places on this earth that I want to see and hunt before I get too old and crippled up. I have resources, but they aren't unlimited. That cash is going to buy me some memories.

I enjoyed the guns, but now it's on to other things...
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Sheep. Maybe the next big thing for me is raising sheep, and cornering the market on fleece lined underwear.
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
[quote=gnoahhh]Thinking about selling the whole schlemiel and buying a vintage Jaguar in England and drive it around Europe for a month chasing good beer .../quote]

We're not getting any younger,: modify your sentence to read "beer and women", buy a plane ticket, and go chase your dream.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sheep. Maybe the next big thing for me is raising sheep, and cornering the market on fleece lined underwear.

Sheep lined underwear. I never thought about that one. I bet it’s an easier market to corner than 303 brass!
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Collecting changes - 09/05/22
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Thinking about selling the whole schlemiel and buying a vintage Jaguar in England and drive it around Europe for a month chasing good beer ...

We're not getting any younger,: modify your sentence to read "beer and women", buy a plane ticket, and go chase your dream.

As amended by Keith …. Do it! Do it! Do it!

Memories of a great adventure last a lifetime.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
I have reduced my inventory significantly in the past year. I still have all the guns I'll ever need. And then some.

Still some places on this earth that I want to see and hunt before I get too old and crippled up. I have resources, but they aren't unlimited. That cash is going to buy me some memories.

I enjoyed the guns, but now it's on to other things...

That's sort of the point I got to. I want to do stuff more than buy stuff.

I pared the collection way down to about 10 total firearms several years ago, and that's about where it hovers. Anything I hadn't shot in a year hit the road, and what I have left all gets shot regularly. I have a lot more fun shooting those 10 and using the leftover money on other pursuits than I did with safes full of bores collecting dust.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Since this is a "Collector's Forum" I'll add that while the concept of devoting one's life to the pursuit of one make of gun is foreign to me, I respect those who do that. Just a difference in how our brains are all wired differently. At the end of the day, as the final curtain is being drawn, all that matters is "did you have fun?"
Posted By: 99guy Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Of course their are no right or wrong answers.

Respectfully, everybody has their own tastes and priorities.
Although they're beautiful to admire, I consider a firearm a tool, meant to be used. I also consider hunting to be the projects for those tools.

For me, its gotten to the point where the tools have gotten so pricey, that to keep accumulating them, depletes finances for the project... and I do love my out of state projects. I've certainly got enough tools, so I'll devote my resources to interesting projects.

As good as they look on the bench or on the couch, they really shine when they're on the job, in the mountains.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Special guns are good for one’s soul
Posted By: JeffG Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
[quote=gnoahhh]Thinking about selling the whole schlemiel and buying a vintage Jaguar in England and drive it around Europe for a month chasing good beer .../quote]

That's probably my one, young-man regret (..that the statute of limitations has run out on at least..). Back in the 70's BMW was offering to sell their motorcycles "factory-direct", and offered buyers a two-week Bavarian tour to go with their purchase. After the ride, the cost of importing a "used motorcycle" back to the US made the whole deal about 15% cheaper than buying a new one locally...,, if I had it to do over again.., the smoke grey and orange R100S Daytona, please!
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Yeah, I spent two weeks, 20-some years ago, buzzing around southern Germany in my German GF's brother's vintage BMW 3.0 CS he loaned us for our vacation. Fun times. Got lost a bunch of times and had to make up time on the Autobahn (oh darn!). I wanted to rent some time on the Nurburgring track (which "civilians" were allowed to do back then, maybe still are) but he put his foot down on that crackpot idea.

Nothing like white knuckles on the steering wheel going 90mph on the Autobahn and boy racers in Ferrari's and soccer Mom's in Benz's zipping past like you're standing still....
Posted By: KeithNyst Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22
Nothing like white knuckles on the steering wheel going 90mph on the Autobahn and boy racers in Ferrari's and soccer Mom's in Benz's zipping past like you're standing still....

Spent three years in Germany. You learn to look in your rearview mirror almost as much as out the windshield. When they flash their headlights coming up on you, you better move over fast because they are not slowing down. The first year and a half, I had a 280Z; hit a little over 150 a few times; had to sell it and buy a used VW when our first-born arrived ... sigh.
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Collecting changes - 09/06/22

Same experience for me.

But, you were only driving 90? I was in my big old Ford Granada (think Merkur Scorpio) doing 105

Later that trip I was trying to keep up with the Volvo wagon in front of me. I was doing 124 and my car was shaking. That was uncomfortable.
© 24hourcampfire