Home
Posted By: Joel/AK Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Except this guy isn't trying to hide hunting our property.

Our road in is on an old rail bed that we own.we only use 3/4 mile to drive on. Last 1/4 we let over grow. Area is about 1/4 mile by 250'. Deer love it.

I figure let the deer have it to bed in, etc. We own just under 100acres.

New neighbors to the south put a tree stand roughly 5 yards from our " no trespassing sign " facing our property.

Stand is on his property so can't say anything about that. What I think I'm gonna do is extend our road the 1/4 mile and I'll park my truck right there and walk in.

We have so many line hunters covid can't even get in.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Put your own stand within sight and hunt it a few times when you know he’s hunting. Parking the truck is a good idea but I would be within sight of it.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Brother in law mentioned putting one of our stands there but no one is willing to waste hunting time to stop someone. Somehow it always ends up on me.

I have a truck with a rusted frame, that really shouldn't be on the road anyway, I'll use. I'll set up a camera. It won't catch an arrow but if someone walks to the truck it will.

I have a stand about 200 yards up, where I can see this area. If I park and see someone sitting, I'll just double back and watch. If I'm in my stand and see a headlamp I'll go creep in watch.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Get ahold of renegade50 and Slumlord for some pointers on dealing with line hunters. They've had some fun using Irish Spring. grin
Posted By: DFCarawan Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
I have to deal with crap like this all the time. Takes the fun out of it for sure. Hope you find a way to deal with them.
We had a problem with a guy from a neighboring club setting a stand on the line looking at us. One of our guys makes a habit of walking that top ridge line in the hopes of pushing any deer deeper down the bank, into our property. When he was making his usual rounds one day, he saw the offending guy in his stand, looking over onto our property. Johnny got directly in front of the guy (about 40'), dropped his drawers and took a shiet. We all know what that can be like after a few days in camp. When he was all done, he pulled up his pants, smiled and waved to the guy and yelled to him to have a nice hunt.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Some states have laws regarding how close one can hunt to another person’s property line.

May be worthwhile to check that out.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Get ahold of renegade50 and Slumlord for some pointers on dealing with line hunters. They've had some fun using Irish Spring. grin

3 gallon pump up weed sprayer with a bottle of aftershave mixed in it.

Just walk the property line and spray.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22

You could get some cheap wind up alarm clocks and set them on 15 minute intervals. Scatter them around close to the stand but on your side of the line. It can make opening day interesting for your neighbor and you help to keep him from falling asleep while on his stand.
Posted By: pullit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
If he shoots one on your property, call the game warden and press charges on him. A few trail cameras scattered around should do the trick on catching him.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Just hang Christmas tensile and a whirly bird or two around his stand. It'll move in a slight breeze and the deer can't handle that.
Good ideas. I've heard the Irish spring thing, gonna have to try it.

Frustrating. Guy to west has a 40, sits on our line for the most part. Guy to the north has 55, bunches our line. East, 120 acres but he atleast splits it up. Where he parks I know where he's hunting

This new guy has 40. All their land is good land so it's not like they need to find a tree.
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Get over it. I absolutely cannot imagine bitching about someone hunting on their own property. It's a deer, for fuggs sake
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/03/22
Really nothing to be done if they're not
shooting across a boundary.
That's very illegal here.
I don't really understand the grass is greener
attitude a lot of people have. With a couple of
exceptions, everybody in my area has roughly
the same amount of ground, but the amount of
trespassing is nearly insanity. If you're not on
site all the time, there's little to be done besides
inviting the game warden to sit in your blind
when the offender is in place
Originally Posted by Nathan13
Get over it. I absolutely cannot imagine bitching about someone hunting on their own property. It's a deer, for fuggs sake

No I'm not gonna get over it. They are facing our property 5 yards away from the line. Do you only have a 5yard shooting lane? If the stand was actually facing their property, no big deal, don't like it but whatever. This guy is hunting our land. Unless he thinks something is gonna walk directly underneath him just happened to come from our land.
Posted By: shootem Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Had some guys with 3 elevated box blinds within 15’ of our property line. One was literally on the line. A brace was nailed to a tree on our side. Our buggy trail to this back area ran along the fence/property line. They had a big hayfield with feeders. We had woods. That became my 4 wheeler parking spot after a guy bailed out at midmorning one day moaning that I ran a deer away from him. Every time I came out in dumped my P bottle there.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
treestands have been known to get schit in. right on the seat.
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

No I'm not gonna get over it. They are facing our property 5 yards away from the line. Do you only have a 5yard shooting lane? If the stand was actually facing their property, no big deal, don't like it but whatever. This guy is hunting our land. Unless he thinks something is gonna walk directly underneath him just happened to come from our land.

So if the deer does not originate from your property you can't shoot it? What if they left his property then came back. Are you sure none of the deer you EVER shoot aren't coming from his property? Sounds like typical buthurt because you're scared that someone might shoot " your" deer.

Here's what you should do, high fence your place so no game can leave your property to get shot. Like I said, it's a flea bag deer. Get over it.

Any other legal activities that you don't allow him to do on his own property?
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Some states have laws regarding how close one can hunt to another person’s property line.

Once more.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22

So if the deer does not originate from your property you can't shoot it? What if they left his property then came back. Are you sure none of the deer you EVER shoot aren't coming from his property? Sounds like typical buthurt because you're scared that someone might shoot " your" deer.

Here's what you should do, high fence your place so no game can leave your property to get shot. Like I said, it's a flea bag deer. Get over it.

Any other legal activities that you don't allow him to do on his own property?

Wow....drama

If he missed it on his property, and I seriously doubt he waits for it to cross onto his 5 yard shooting lane, maybe he should turn his stand the [bleep] around.

Sounds like some here don't mind hunting off other people's property. They can say my stand is legal on my property and the deer walked right up to me type of thing. You guys my neighbors?

It's the principle of it. No one gives themselves a 5 yard buffer when your 12-14' up a tree.

How hard is idea that it's private property, we pay the taxes. Don't hunt it. It's not my deer and if they shoot it legally on their property, hats off. In 9 years here I haven't shot a buck yet. None met my standards. I've seen pics of the dozens shot this fall, maybe 1 I woulda shot. I'm sure I'm not missing out.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
If you don’t like the neighbors buy them out. If you can’t buy them out, probably best to learn to get along with them.
Originally Posted by Region6
If you don’t like the neighbors buy them out. If you can’t buy them out, probably best to learn to get along with them.

Can't afford to buy them out. Property was listed for 1.3m...nice house though....lol

I work with all my neighbors. Everyone has an agreement that do what you got to do to retrieve a deer, don't ask first, just go get it. My neighbor to the west had a transportation issue so I gave him a key to our gate so he could drive his truck in to his property. I'll work with anyone. If see someone new during season I'll stop and talk with them.

I am hoping I meet this guy but right now I'm pissed on how he's not even hiding it.
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22

Once more.

Also...some states mandate that a stand can NOT FACE neighboring property. They can be on the line but cant face the adjacent property.
Originally Posted by Bobcat85

Once more.

Also...some states mandate that a stand can NOT FACE neighboring property. They can be on the line but cant face the adjacent property.

This I gotta look into it. Michigan doesn't give 2 craps about line hunters, but which way it's facing I honestly didn't think about. Thanks
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
You said it yourself. Private property, pay taxes, owner does what he wants. That applies to him too. Until he shoots a deer illegally on your property you should mind your own business. You sound like a cop, assuming he's gonna do something wrong before he does it.

You sure you just aren't mad he's shooting deer that you said aren't up to your standards?
You said it yourself. Private property, pay taxes, owner does what he wants. That applies to him too. Until he shoots a deer illegally on your property you should mind your own business. You sound like a cop, assuming he's gonna do something wrong before he does it.

You sure you just aren't mad he's shooting deer that you said aren't up to your standards?

I'm pretty sure on the standards thing. Nice try though.

Why would someone who has 40 acres of decent land position his tree stand in a direction that only has roughly 5 yards til he hits the property line? What would you think? That little portion is hot. I think I have only been in there twice in 8 years. Turn the stand around facing your property and wait til they walk into your property . The trails heading north of the spot are heavy, I'm sure it is to the south also.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Bobcat85

Once more.

This I gotta look into it. Michigan doesn't give 2 craps about line hunters, but which way it's facing I honestly didn't think about. Thanks

There’s the possible issue of hunter harassment if that happens.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Region6

Can't afford to buy them out. Property was listed for 1.3m...nice house though....lol

I work with all my neighbors. Everyone has an agreement that do what you got to do to retrieve a deer, don't ask first, just go get it. My neighbor to the west had a transportation issue so I gave him a key to our gate so he could drive his truck in to his property. I'll work with anyone. If see someone new during season I'll stop and talk with them.

I am hoping I meet this guy but right now I'm pissed on how he's not even hiding it.

Definitely worth talking to the owner, quite possible it’s a guest. A conversation would be my next move.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Cheap ladder stand, mannequin in hunting clothes directly in front of his stand. Put it up after dark the night before season opens.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
We hunt our property lines, I do have the stands facing into our property and the back blocked where you can't behind you. It makes no sense why someone would start hunting from the middle of their property, unless you're trying to drive them out. Our feeding, bedding and sanctuary areas are in the middle of our property and I allow no one to walk in there. You can make this deer hunting gig as hard as you want, fact is the deer catch on instantly to hunting pressure.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Cheap ladder stand, mannequin in hunting clothes directly in front of his stand. Put it up after dark the night before season opens.

Yep
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
How hard is the idea it is his property, he pays the taxes and he can place his stand anyplace in it….and in any direction he damn well pleases. And who are you to tell him what shooting lane he should choose?

Spray aftershave on the line...Deer in that area must not travel both ways??? Buy another stand and put a mannequin in it? And waste your time the night before making noise and stinking up that area on your side..While his remains clean.....Brilliant!!!!

This could be a chapter for Deer hunting for Dummies....

There are legal rights to a property and then there are ethics. Anyone placing a stand 5 yards from your property line and faces it plans on shooting stuff coming from your property or killing stuff on your property and dragging it over. Hint
The first is not illegal or unethical..How many steps over the line is required until it passes the ethical test? The second is both..however, conjecture until you catch or prove they did so...Hint!!!!

And how many times do we see quoted on here...."As long as it is legal."

And, I'm hunting the other side...I'm not supposed to look for anything coming off your side? No, it would be only right if I kept my back to your side and shot only when it passed to the front. laugh Post if you want, but don't get all whiney, if another takes one when it crosses over.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22
As you mentioned, talk to the guy. Seems like the common sense thing to do.

Anything you do to scent-up, noise-up, or visual-up the line to make him not want to hunt there may effect your hunting as much or more than his....even if you're not hunting that location, deer travel through it.

I'm doubtful this is the case, but for consideration, the last couple of years I've hung lock-on stands facing away from the direction I plan on shooting (none of them are on property lines though). I've started using a saddle harness instead of a normal vest/full body harness for all my stand hunting. It allows me to sit in the stand or to fold the seat up and sit in the saddle facing the opposite direction of the stand using it as a platform. This has turned out to be the most comfortable way to hunt out of a stand I've found. Probably not the case here but anyhow....
Only one that is getting "whiney" is you as usual. He/She has a legal right to put a stand on the one inch line on the property line facing the neighbors property. I question the ethics.
Heading off our property.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And the result of letting your little head do the thinking.

My neighbors aren't as choosey as we are. As long as they don't get carried away I'm happy for them. It's not hard to be an azzhole and screw everyone's hunting up. There's one thing I know for sure, if I squeeze the trigger I'll never see that buck alive again.
I sent my nephew a txt that a young 10pt was heading his way and I'll never see him alive again either. Every year we loose a few nice bucks to hunters, but isn't that what it's all about? Just do what's right and everything will work out.
Question all you want, but your questions don't hold up...to "As long as it is legal"

As far as 'whiney", I'm only pointing out those making high pitched sounds, about what another does on their property with regard legal hunting....But no, "your" ethics are what others should adhere to. Cry me another river and don't bogart the Systane.

Another, had the answer..Place a food plot and a sanctuary in the middle of that 100 acres....and for the most part care less where the other places their stand.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Line hunters...again - 03/04/22

Good grief, your rights stop at the fence. If he wants to put a basketball court on the line, it’s still his property.

Bitching about his tree stand makes you as bad as your neighbor. Possession is limited by boundaries, not by disgust.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

My neighbors aren't as choosey as we are. As long as they don't get carried away I'm happy for them. It's not hard to be an azzhole and screw everyone's hunting up. There's one thing I know for sure, if I squeeze the trigger I'll never see that buck alive again.
I sent my nephew a txt that a young 10pt was heading his way and I'll never see him alive again either. Every year we loose a few nice bucks to hunters, but isn't that what it's all about? Just do what's right and everything will work out.

TrueGrit...Looks like you would be a great neighbor..However, your ethics have me concerned, in that I think it is unethical to text another that game is coming their way. However, if it is legal....then my ethics are irrelevant. wink

BTW...Nice Bucks, congrats...
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Good grief, your rights stop at the fence. If he wants to put a basketball court on the line, it’s still his property.

Bitching about his tree stand makes you as bad as your neighbor. Possession is limited by boundaries, not by disgust.

Nooo...not here. This place is made up of rugged individuals who stand up for what is right and the law. Until????
Originally Posted by battue

TrueGrit...Looks like you would be a great neighbor..However, your ethics have me concerned, in that I think it is unethical to text another that game is coming their way. However, if it is legal....then my ethics are irrelevant. wink

BTW...Nice Bucks, congrats...

Honestly I don't know what the laws are pertaining txt while hunting. Group txing has saved a lot of nice bucks for us, some on purpose and some because your txing and not hunting. It's hard for me to believe you can use game camera's that'll send a picture to your phone live 24/7 and you can't txt your kin on your own property. I'm far from being a legal beaver and just because it's the law doesn't mean it's right. I try to do what I feel is right and live by the Golden Rule.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
So basically some of you thinks it's ok to hunt an adjoining property with no permission as long as the stand is on your stand.

Wow.

Whatever. Call me a whiner, that's fine, I'll call you a poacher if you think thats ok.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
It ain't nothin I'd waste any time worrying about.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
i got good neighbors we all hunt our own land and call if we have a wounded animal to track before we go on their land we stay polite and helpful to other neighbors.at hunting camp.
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
This might be a radical approach, but why not contact the neighboring landowner and talk. While you are talking, maybe try to come up with a joint strategy that provides opportunity on both sides of the fence. Deer are going to cross back and forth regardless. Neither property is big enough to fully hold the local deer population, especially rutting bucks.

Also a consideration: do all involved parties actually know where the property lines are? Have seen a lot of times where landowners and others assume things like fences or roads are always on property lines. Have seen faulty memories of where lines start, end, and run. Have seen people who assume they own a property they in reality do not own (even to the extent of selling what they think they own). One guy even built a big fancy barn on another man's property. Have seen moved survey pins that have shown lines not as actually surveyed. And even using GPS vs USGS quads, lines can be significantly off between systems of coordinates or between GPS coordinates and USGS maps. Never a bad idea to have an actual survey and marked property lines before getting into a squabble.

Aside from that, maybe there is some non-sinister reason for how the stand faces, like it is just seasonal storage and not intentionally installed overlooking your property. If the neighboring property is good and of some size what is his incentive for hunting just over your fence?

Besides, if you build animosity, how likely is he to let you cross to his side for that wounded big buck that made it over to his side of the fence?
Originally Posted by pete53
i got good neighbors we all hunt our own land and call if we have a wounded animal to track before we go on their land we stay polite and helpful to other neighbors.at hunting camp.

All of us have the same agreement, except don't call. Just go get the animal. They always text me afterwards and I do the same to them. Get the deer, don't hunt the neighbors land.

Some here must think that private property is the same as state land.

I just have a hard time believing that the guy is not hunting the 40 acres behind him when in front him is a target rich environment, with this stand atleast.

I could give 2 shidts what he does, but boy, his setup is so sketchy for poaching it's not even funny.

As for the idea of using the tree for cover and shooting behind him, I could respect that but I can see alot better trees and cover from my side to do that. Granted I haven't been in there alot.

Cameras will be posted. I've calmed down some, still pissed but..

I'm gonna try and talk to the guy. I don't want to cut a road into a small little preserve. If the deer walk on his property, fair game. Deer love that area to bed, don't poach. It's our property, we don't own the deer,but you shoot it across property lines it's called poaching. Some here will sugar coat it but it's poaching.
Posted By: BradinVA Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
Except this guy isn't trying to hide hunting our property.

Our road in is on an old rail bed that we own.we only use 3/4 mile to drive on. Last 1/4 we let over grow. Area is about 1/4 mile by 250'. Deer love it.

I figure let the deer have it to bed in, etc. We own just under 100acres.

New neighbors to the south put a tree stand roughly 5 yards from our " no trespassing sign " facing our property.

Stand is on his property so can't say anything about that. What I think I'm gonna do is extend our road the 1/4 mile and I'll park my truck right there and walk in.

We have so many line hunters covid can't even get in.

Have you spoke to them? I don't know how they do it in Michigan, but round here when we have a concern with a neighbor, we talk to the neighbor.
Originally Posted by Jaguar
This might be a radical approach, but why not contact the neighboring landowner and talk. While you are talking, maybe try to come up with a joint strategy that provides opportunity on both sides of the fence. Deer are going to cross back and forth regardless. Neither property is big enough to fully hold the local deer population, especially rutting bucks.

Also a consideration: do all involved parties actually know where the property lines are? Have seen a lot of times where landowners and others assume things like fences or roads are always on property lines. Have seen faulty memories of where lines start, end, and run. Have seen people who assume they own a property they in reality do not own (even to the extent of selling what they think they own). One guy even built a big fancy barn on another man's property. Have seen moved survey pins that have shown lines not as actually surveyed. And even using GPS vs USGS quads, lines can be significantly off between systems of coordinates or between GPS coordinates and USGS maps. Never a bad idea to have an actual survey and marked property lines before getting into a squabble.

Aside from that, maybe there is some non-sinister reason for how the stand faces, like it is just seasonal storage and not intentionally installed overlooking your property. If the neighboring property is good and of some size what is his incentive for hunting just over your fence?

Besides, if you build animosity, how likely is he to let you cross to his side for that wounded big buck that made it over to his side of the fence?

Had it professionally surveyed. One neighbor was upset cuz he lost a few feet, other was happy.

As for storage, he's facing north. We have some pretty good north winds. He's either a rookie and dumba$$, or leaves it there for a reason.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
So basically some of you thinks it's ok to hunt an adjoining property with no permission as long as the stand is on your stand.

Wow.

Whatever. Call me a whiner, that's fine, I'll call you a poacher if you think thats ok.

I sure as he'll don't shoot deer off someone else's property and don't see where anyone else says it's ok to do. I better not catch someone one my property looking for a deer they shot at if they didn't contact me first. All my posted signs have my name and phone numbers on them and the neighbors know how I feel about walking around. I can't see any reason you or anyone else has a right to tell me what way my tree stand needs to face on my property.
Posted By: tzone Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22

And here we have a line Hunter. Lol

Wow.

I sure as he'll don't shoot deer off someone else's property and don't see where anyone else says it's ok to do. I better not catch someone one my property looking for a deer they shot at if they didn't contact me first. All my posted signs have my name and phone numbers on them and the neighbors know how I feel about walking around. I can't see any reason you or anyone else has a right to tell me what way my tree stand needs to face on my property.

Most of our neighbors are long time. They all have my number. Something tells me this new guy doesn't care, I could be wrong, but he put his stand up facing our property 5 yards from our posted sign. Sugar coat it all you want

Oh and I will never tell anyone what to do on their property, whether I agree or not, unless you you infringe on mine. Then I will make a big deal about it.

Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
[quote=Joel/AK]So basically some of you thinks it's ok to hunt an adjoining property with no permission as long as the stand is on your stand.

Wow.

Oh and I will never tell anyone what to do on their property, whether I agree or not.

But you'll cry about it like child on a stupid hunting forum.
What do you mean he's " hunting your property" you've said that more than once. If he backs up 30 yards and faces the same way is it ok? 50 yards? 100 yards? ...be careful now, you said you won't tell someone what to do on their own property.

Just another guess here, but you haven't owned any amount of property very long have you?
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
His land, his stand to place wherever he wants. And until you catch him actually poaching you are making unfounded accusations

However, on the piece I have and hunt rarely. The neighbors and I don’t have a problem. We just hunt and don’t get all that excited about it if one steps over the line.

Back awhile I was hunting and was knowingly on an adjoining piece when he came walking towards me with an obvious purpose and asked if I had permission. I replied no and was told to leave. Said fine, but do you ever hunt that piece over there? “Yes” was the reply. “Well, from now on you don’t.” He looked at me and the light came on. “Been awhile, you the Neil boy?” “Yes.” “Ahh, let it be.” And we had a little talk about what was going on.

Neighbors, not causing aggravation over a damn line in the ground. And when the gas company wanted to pay me to place a pumping station on my ground, which would be right behind their house, I had the company get a written letter from them they didn’t object.

And if they shoot a Deer on what I own, I could care less. I’ll go and try to find another. Some obviously feel different and think their little fiefdom makes them a King.

We are all in the hunting game together, which escapes some who insist on being pricks over a Deer.

Addition: There will be some timber cut on mine this summer. I will make sure the cutting doesn’t doesn’t distract their view around their backyard. I suspect it will continue to pay dividends. No sense in being a prick over a few trees.

Originally Posted by rem141r
treestands have been known to get schit in. right on the seat.

How far and high can you shiit without trespassing? Or would you first obtain permission to cross the holy line and climb into another’s stand? With the purpose of shiiting on the seat? Rotten neighborly thing to do to one who allowed you access..The Ted Turners off this country obviously don't have to own half a State to have more than a little in common.

One would think on an outdoor forum you would learn about hunting, shooting, etc. I’ve learned more about why this country is where it is at today. And all the pricks are not the libs.
So to some of you, private land should just be public land.

Nathan, 5 yards facing OUR property is different than 100 yards.

People have different ideas of ethics.
Some years ago, my neighbor to the west mentioned they wished they knew where our stands were so they wouldn't shoot in that direction. Yes they are lined up on the property line. WTF. We talked and it's a good relationship now. Do they take deer off our property? I'm sure they do. Hell, I gave them a key to our gates.

Communication does work and I hope I can talk to these people.
So to some of you, private land should just be public land.

Nathan, 5 yards facing OUR property is different than 100 yards.

People have different ideas of ethics.

What has he taken off your land? Where do you draw the line on how far into his property he should place a stand? Maybe he is a photographer. What law has he broken? Remember, "as long as it's legal" is the campfire mantra on ethics.

Fact is you are worried he will see something coming off your land and kill it on his. Happens all the time when people are hunting small parcels.

However, are willing to accuse him of being a poacher, with no reason other than how he legally uses his property. And try to make your case on you being the ethical one.

And your first sentence is complete BS in that you think you have the right to tell him what to do with his private land. What a hypocritical joke!!!!
If something walk off ours onto his, take it if that's what they want to do. Yes his stand is legally on his land and he can do what he wants. That's why I'm not gonna mess with it.

I can understand if it was a saddle type of setup where he's using the tree as cover but this is just a cheap ladder stand.

This area is known for folks ignoring property lines, just like many places. I got pics from a camera on the back 40 of one family doing drives through our property. I showed the pics to a neighbor who holds alot of weight in the area. Told him to get the word out to stop it on our land and I won't get Leo's involved. It stopped.

I guess I'm just weird where I believe our property is ours. No grey area.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Scrubgrass Village is 1000 acres I can't hunt..Buffalo Valley consists of thousands of acres of different parcels I can, however that particular piece is only around 100. They come out of Scrubgrass in the evening into Buffalo. I shot him around 3pm on the North side of Ridge road, coming out of Scrubgrass, and on Buffalo while leaning up against a tree looking over the Scrubgrass line. To some, I was being unethical.

Nice but was he on buffalo when you shot him?
[ I shot him around 3pm on the North side of Ridge road, coming out of Scrubgrass, and on Buffalo while leaning up against a tree looking over the Scrubgrass line. To some, I was being unethical.

So you shot a buck on land your authorized to hunt.

How hard is it for some here to realize a stand 5 yards facing a property line isn't right? Any rational person would figure out that they are hunting an adjoining property.... illegally.

I will have cameras out and I will catch them.
Wish I could figure out how to post pics so folks could maybe understand what I'm saying.
So you shot a buck on land your authorized to hunt.

How hard is it for some here to realize a stand 5 yards facing a property line isn't right? Any rational person would figure out that they are hunting an adjoining property.... illegally.

I will have cameras out and I will catch them.

No stand, but my feet were damn close to the line on XHunt and there were no posted signs to indicate otherwise...Of course here it is not rare to have people post land they don't own.

Your bitch is what...His stand or that he shot a Deer on your land? Number two has yet to occur. And one is none of your concern.
My bitch is folks shooting deer off other people's property. It happens every where, I know. I just don't stand for it. I'll work with people and I do alot. I hate poachers
Then you are guessing that someone is going to poach off your property based on stand location.

Indians have a legitimate bitch...Whole bunch of White people once came and not only poached but took ownership. And now we don't think it right to happen to us.
Don't. Give 2 shidts about indians. I care about our land.
Your land...Is a joke.
How's it a joke? I know with property taxes, you never actually own it but it's still ours.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
Sounds like a good source of entertainment there if one has nothing else to do. Thankfully I live in the west hunting/fishing in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, and Alaska. Neighbors or ownership have not been a concern since about 1974 when I moved here. If someone ends up near a favorite spot, I just go somewhere else. Big game is a piece of cake.

My only challenge is finding deeded and irrigated property for ground squirrel shoots. Never dreamed years ago that folks would drive three states over and pay $250 a day to air out 1/2 lb Beldings Ground Squirrels. Along the same lines, had I been in a board room and witnessed a suggestion to put water in plastic bottles for sale at prices higher than fuel, I might have died laughing.

Have a good one,

Edited: If harassment is the goal, how about scheduling some pre-programed drone fly by's during your seasons? Might make for some good shot gunning.
You have a bone for some guy you have yet to meet...You are going to be watching for a headlamp to be going to the stand...You are taking time and expense to put out cameras to maybe catch someone and not use them for keying in on getting a Deer. That's why...

I only have 56 acres, but if I had to spend that much time possessing about someone shooting a Deer off it, it wouldn't be worth the hassle. And in fact it is two confining and boring to hunt it over and over. With little effort, I have thousands of acres available to hunt within a couple hours drive max. I keep it because it has been in the family for over 100 years, and off and on it generates some cash and is a good long term investment. And finally it my turn into my Alamo. I'm also in the process of turning it over to my Daughter.

If I had to worry over it and every Deer on it, as you do yours....the joke would be on me.

Addition: Whitetail properties keeps sending me requests to buy it. Only to most likely sell to someone who will give little consideration to the future of hunting and post it up. Screw em....The Buffalo Creek guy has thousands of acres he allows hunting on, and isn't some I got mine now you can go to hell type. We need more of his kind.

And that applies to him and his property too
Posted By: boatammo Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22
In MN we cut trees down.
My bitch is folks shooting deer off other people's property. It happens every where, I know. I just don't stand for it. I'll work with people and I do alot. I hate poachers

What did the neighbor with the deer stand facing your property say?
You know, I didn't realize my thread would offend so many line hunters. I apologize to those that think line hunting with the potential of poaching is ok.

Have a nice day.
Originally Posted by BradinVA

What did the neighbor with the deer stand facing your property say?

What did your neighbor say about it?
Hope to run into him this spring
Hope to run into him this spring

You've never spoke to the owner of the property that you have an issue with, but you bitch about it on the internet? Very impressive.
You like it...thanks
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Line hunters...again - 03/05/22

You have single-handedly dropped the base IQ of Alaska by at least 20 points.

The only point you have is on your head.

Wish I could figure out how to post pics so folks could maybe understand what I'm saying.

Posted By: BobMt Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

joel....has the guy shot anything on your land?......or do you feel that he is going to......bob
Posted By: rayporter Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
if i was that other guy and i knew how much it bothers you i would sure play hell with your mind next year.

who knows, maybe he is doing it now.
all over a deer!!!!!
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
Dam, I hit a sore spot on people's hunting style. Obviously I offended some of you
Originally Posted by HitnRun

You have single-handedly dropped the base IQ of Alaska by at least 20 points.

The only point you have is on your head.

Dont know what your trying to say but most of my friends back home stick to their beliefs. We don't back down. You may not agree with my beliefs and I couldn't give 2 fugs.

Alaska and Michigan hunting are 2 totally separate things. Apples and oranges.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
I was checking cameras today and took this picture of my neighbors shooting house. I have no idea why the door is open but the bottom of ladder is on our property. In the 10 years they've been hunting there I have no pictures or any or other sign that they've been on our property.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
I was checking cameras today and took this picture of my neighbors shooting house. I have no idea why the door is open but the bottom of ladder is on our property. In the 10 years they've been hunting there I have no pictures or any or other sign that they've been on our property.

dear lort!

i think thats a booby trap.

maybe the pic is distorted, how tall is it? 20'? grin grin
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
I have to say this thread has been educational. I had never seen the term "line hunter" before. Here in the west I have the option of hunting public lands (and I live here intentionally for this reason), but in some places I do still need to know where private property lines are so I can avoid trespassing. (GPS sure is helpful!!) I have previously hunted places where it is all private, and you need to be sure whose land you are on, so the problem is not unfamiliar. I have just never experienced what is being discussed in this thread. Then again, I am likely the last person who would "line hunt" due to an aversion for stand hunting (I still-hunt), and a bigger aversion to potentially having to retrieve game that crossed to where I don't have permission to be. Just don't want to have that kind of setup. I prefer a day when I can cruise around see no one else out there, and not have to worry where my game dies. On the other hand, that is also why I use enough gun, so what I shoot is unlikely to get far.

Eye opener.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

That would be cool. I have never seen a tree stand. I hunt public land exclusively. Count yourself lucky you don't have to deal with that bullchidt.. You'd really be biotching.. ha ha
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

dear lort!

i think thats a booby trap.

maybe the pic is distorted, how tall is it? 20'? grin grin

That's a hell of a high out house. I bet the chidt really splats from that high up..
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

I'm not seeing the boundary fence.
Is it just my cheesy phone, or my aging eyes?
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
From the East and this is also the first time I've heard the term. Here there are many occasions where one can hunt property lines. As far as poaching, you either shot game on land you are allowed to hunt or you didn't. Which seems to be the common definition of poaching,

Joel, who seems the be a great guy for some reason feels that if you are looking onto his land you are a poacher, a would be poacher and are in someway illegally violating his property. However, until you shoot something on it....or step foot on you have done nothing illegal.

The whole situation is fairly common in places were there are different properties in close proximity. In the HuntX pic I posted there is a piece that looks down onto Scrubgrass property, and the owners have a box blind that looks into Scrubgrass and is close to their line. No big deal...Deer come up the valley and cross onto their property they become legal. And neither owners make an issue of it...No matter which way the Deer are crossing. In addition, Scrubgrass is all woods and the other surrounding owners corn feeds them more than a little.

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

Never heard the term ‘line hunter’ either.
The area(s) I hunt here in PA have a LOT of ‘lines’. For the most part everyone seems to do their best to respect others property.
https://imgur.com/a/VDBXmHO

And we still own another 25feetor so towards the stand. Don't tell me he's hunting his land
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
Whatever you do, don't introduce yourself before the season and have a rational conversation. Spend your life patrolling the line and trying to fugg his hunt up rather than focus on making yours successful.

Originally Posted by hillestadj
Whatever you do, don't introduce yourself before the season and have a rational conversation. Spend your life patrolling the line and trying to fugg his hunt up rather than focus on making yours successful.

If you could read, I said I was gonna make contact
Posted By: BobMt Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
https://imgur.com/a/VDBXmHO

And we still own another 25feetor so towards the stand. Don't tell me he's hunting his land

has he shot anything on your land....bob
Heard some shots from that area but no,can't prove anything. Will have cameras this year.

Amazing how many of you condone this practice. Says alot
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
Condone what practice?......someone hanging a stand on their own property or property they have permission on? Yes I condone that

I read just fine. Were your dozen or so pouty posts just preemptive cun'tyness assuming it doesn't get cleared up like men before the season?

I read just fine. Were your dozen or so pouty posts just preemptive cun'tyness assuming it doesn't get cleared up like men before the season?

No, I don't think you can read
Posted By: clwg97 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
As thick as it looks I wouldn't imagine he is doing a lot of long range shooting. Looks like a good bow stand to me. I would hunt it. Landowner had a path cut around his property and the deer traveled the path. I set up 15 yards from the edge and faced the fence. Perfect bow distance.
That's over 30 years of growth that that area hasn't been an active hunting area. I know deer have been taken out of this area but we are preventing that or atleast trying to
That's over 30 years of growth that that area hasn't been an active hunting area. I know deer have been taken out of this area but we are preventing that or atleast trying to

For conversation....If he didn't have a tree stand, but stood there facing any directions he felt like at the moment...Would you have a problem?

Why would someone who has 40 acres of decent land position his tree stand in a direction that only has roughly 5 yards til he hits the property line? What would you think? That little portion is hot. I think I have only been in there twice in 8 years. Turn the stand around facing your property and wait til they walk into your property . The trails heading north of the spot are heavy, I'm sure it is to the south also.

The area is hot for Deer...which makes sense of why he would place a stand there...Seems as if your complaint is which way he is looking when he first sees a Deer. And from the stand pic he would have little problem shooting right or left after a Deer crossed over. Your worry obviously has more to do with his success in a hot area, that you think should be off limits to one who owns it, than him possibly poaching.

I'm starting to wish he kills a nice one on his land and you have it on camera.....

Further indication that you would prefer a "hot" portion of another's land to be your private sanctuary....

Posted By: JackRyan Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

What state would that be. Have you got a link to that code. I'd sure like to read it.
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22

Everytime you post you give yourself away more and more.
You just said it. You are trying to prevent deer from being killed in that area. I'm glad you finally admitted it. We all knew it all along, but you just erased any doubt.

You just said it. You are trying to prevent deer from being killed in that area. I'm glad you finally admitted it. We all knew it all along, but you just erased any doubt.

Remember....It is all about ethics... laugh
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Line hunters...again - 03/06/22
Originally Posted by JackRyan

What state would that be. Have you got a link to that code. I'd sure like to read it.

A state with tremendous overreach, if true. Just like one that dictates which direction your stand can face. Again, if true.

Remember....It is all about ethics... laugh

Actually, I'm just trying to stop folks from hunting other folks property. You guys call it fair game, I call it poaching.
Most seem to call it....You trying to telling others how they should hunt their own ground, because they will be inside what you consider to be your own private sanctuary.
Most seem to call it....You trying to telling others how they should hunt their own ground, because they will be inside what you consider to be your own private sanctuary.

Like you just said, on their land. They can do whatever they want. I know they are hunting mine, no evidence asod right now but will,...
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
https://imgur.com/a/MHTLTMJ

I'm also dealing with this crap on the north side of our property. I'm sick of it.
Basically we let them use roughly 30 yards of our property, I try to be neighborly, so they can get cover by trees. Went out there this fall and they cut trail into our property. I kicked them off today.
Don't get me wrong. They are good people but typical of humans, give an inch and they will take a foot. I'm done being nice
Posted By: hanco Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
Take a box to your barber shop, have him save the hair, scatter it around that area. Deer won’t come near it.
My brother in law said the same thing. Does hair really work?
Posted By: ejo Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
I’d speak with them and let them know your concerns. I would not be happy with someone on the boarder of my property facing me with a gun. More of a safety issue than anything else. I’ve had issues in the past but once we got to know each other, all was well. Also, I’m surprised by the responses here.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22

Like you just said, on their land. They can do whatever they want. I know they are hunting mine, no evidence asod right now but will,...

“There land, they can do whatever they want.”“No evidence” “Haven’t talked with them.” “But I know they are hunting mine.”
“But,but, but.”

It keeps getting more obvious which neighbor is the problem. If they ever combined forces against you, it would be epic. Headlamps flashing around your perimeter would be worth the price of cameras to catch you running the edges.

Sleep well😁
Posted By: BobMt Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by ejo
I’d speak with them and let them know your concerns. I would not be happy with someone on the boarder of my property facing me with a gun. More of a safety issue than anything else. I’ve had issues in the past but once we got to know each other, all was well. Also, I’m surprised by the responses here.

the guy hasnt broke the law....what is the response supposed to be....bob
Originally Posted by ejo

Best time to express your concerns would be opening morning. Walk over and say while you want to be neighborly, you don’t think it proper how he positioned a stand inside his land. Should result in a quick resolution.

If going in the dark...wear a headlamp....
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by Joel/Alaska

Actually, I'm just trying to stop folks from hunting other folks property. You guys call it fair game, I call it poaching.

Originally Posted by ejo

They actually made a movie starring you 2;

Posted By: rayporter Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
hair. irish spring. tinsel and whirly gigs all work for a day or two
Ask any body with a garden. we put one of the IR water sprinklers in the garden last year. it sprays water when activated. seemed to work better than most.
Me...I would go with a big black 3D cutout of a Bear with intermittent vocals..

"Deer Hunting for Dummies".... Chapter 8... wink

Yep, It works
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
I'm just glad you aren't my neighbor.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yep, It works

Which way will it move the Deer? And on whose side will they approach?.... Which way will the wind be moving? Do you think it will make them move far enough away to be out of rifle range of a stand hunter? We are not referring to posies here.

Answer: Chapter 9

Yep, It works

Which way will it move the Deer? And on whose side will they approach?.... Which way will the wind be moving? Do you think it will make them move far enough away to be out of rifle range of a stand hunter? We are not referring to posies here.

Depends on wind direction

Yep, It works

And how often one is willing to run to the barber shop and stink up their land to reapply every 3 or 4 days. Along with wasted hunting time to do so.
Here is what I would do if Joel got cranky...fat chance that not happening..

How about a fence on the line between the two...Nice high one on my side and behind his 5 yard worry zone...and plant a little half acre food plot on my side, or make it a bigger sanctuary. Then position my stand off to the side, so not to be shooting towards his land. Of course since the fence was on my side, along with the new stand position his worries should be eliminated. And being neighborly, would have an opening for the Deer to pass between both properties. Close to the side stand and food plot/sanctuary.

If he went to the neighborly trouble of fencing his side and eliminating your concerns...would you object? And of course one wouldn't expect you to place a stand close to the fence. Wouldn't be the ethical thing to do.

I've seen it....and it was a "hot" spot....Deer would run that fence and use that hole daily for a variety of reasons.

Yep, It works

And how often one is willing to run to the barber shop and stink up their land to reapply every 3 or 4 days. Along with wasted hunting time to do so.

Depend on how bad you want to fuuuuck up that guys hunting???
See above post. wink
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
Never heard the term Line Hunters before. Always called fence hunters in South Texas.
Funny listening to the comments. Down in old Mexico the law requires stands to be 100 yards off the fence.
I guess to some folks the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Hasbeen
Well, Joel isn't in old Mexico and he has not mentioned any fence/stand laws at his location other than it pizzes him off.

And again, the campfire mantra..."As long as it is legal."
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
Well, Joel isn't in old Mexico and he has not mentioned any fence/stand laws at his location other than it pizzes him off.

And again, the campfire mantra..."As long as it is legal."

I don’t know of any place that allows you to shoot game on someone else’s property. If we’re you are sitting only allows you to shoot on some one else’s property, it’s poaching , unless you are just taking pictures. Lol
Hasbeen
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Line hunters...again - 03/07/22
The problem is Joel is assuming that the guy is poaching his property. Put cameras up and catch his ass if he is and then prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. Most of our property is in timber production and has no fences, but is clearly marked, has fire breaks and property line trees. I've caught a number of poachers in years past and most say their looking for a deer that they shot. So far only one has ever showed me any blood.
Well nothing has been shot on his land….and from his pic I wouldn’t have to do so if a Deer was off to the sides. The person could look into his land and see something coming, however that isn’t illegal.

If you haven’t read all, he has made it obvious he doesn’t like another in what he considers to be his Deer sanctuary.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
Well nothing has been shot on his land….and from his pic I wouldn’t have to do so if a Deer was off to the sides. The person could look into his land and see something coming, however that isn’t illegal.

If you haven’t read all, he has made it obvious he doesn’t like another in what he considers to be his Deer sanctuary.

Dam battue, you really have a hard on for land owners don't you? Oh and for what it's worth I don't give 2 fugs what you think. I know it's not me, you go off on these worthless tirades on others.

Have a good day.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
Damn Joel...You are the one that started the whine about landowners using their own property legally. laugh As far as tirades, I only do so when I see so called adults acting out childish whines better suited for kids...even more so when they try to cover it up in the "ethics" cloth.

However, I do admit that many landowners PMO when they act like little Kings over a mini country.

That guy that owns the Scrubgrass 1000 acres, I was directly responsible in generating him around $45,000 in cash over 12-15 years. In that I brought in 7 guys to pay him lease money to hunt it. Myself included. Then he had a buyer which was fine. However, when it fell thru right before Deer season, he didn't have the courtesy to let any of us have the opportunity to sign on again. And he was another, that constantly worried about someone shooting a poached Deer. And in addition..Guess who he called for backup when he was throwing two guys off....Guess????

I shot one right across his line and found it immensely satisfying...Most likely I would find the same with you.

My day was most excellent, thank you...
Posted By: rost495 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
I know you know what I"m going to say. But the place I put my stands is on our property line fences. But looking in.

Fence stands get a bad deal, but its really the smartest way and safest way to hunt. Sit on your perimeter looking into your land.

And yes if a deer crosses you can shoot it.

How you handle em shooting it on your land is tough.

The other factor is if they shoot it on your land I've yet to see one on the neighbors that never ended up on ours. 100 acres. I've also never had a deer stay on the 100 and not get hit, shot, whatever on others.

It sucks though when they shoot deer that were promising. Even that tends to mostly stop itself in about 5 years. People grow, and change and we have been lucky.

Only things I can say is I'd have a camera for sure.

And I wouldn't do a single thing to the guy with the stand until you catch him. Anything done to mess with him is lowering yourself and in Texas at least it would be illegal also.

Good luck. It can be tough owning such tiny property and being surrounded by even smaller ones.
Posted By: hanco Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
I would not sit that close to a fence, I’d be worried about getting shot.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
I'm not gonna do anything to his stand, I already said that.

Battue, what's the difference of my rants vs yours? It's guys like you that make guys like me double down.
Well, I don't give two fuggs if it does. laugh
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
Can we negotiate? Would you be willing to give one fugg?
Originally Posted by smokepole
Can we negotiate? Would you be willing to give one fugg?

I was going to, then I said fugg it and that used the one up....So, I'm holding at two.

You never know when you have to not give a fugg....a 2 fugg is a relatively minor infraction anyway.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/08/22
OK. But if you ever need someone to give a fugg, I'll give you one of mine, I don't need 'em all.

I couldn't care less about fuggs.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
OK. But if you ever need someone to give a fugg, I'll give you one of mine, I don't need 'em all.

I couldn't care less about fuggs.

Thanks, another recently told me they don't give two fuggs....In fact they repeated it twice. Evidently they place a higher value on a fugg.
Since you couldn't care less, I'll take all you are willing to let go.

Don't know what I'll do with them....However, I thought the same about Remington 760's and 870's, and now look what they are worth? You best think about it first.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
Are you saying the 760 and 870 are fugged?
Posted By: Buckshot77 Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
Maybe he is facing your property because the trail(s) he thinks the deer are using are to his left facing that way? I have a stand facing the neighboring property (piece of no hunting state land) because there are 2 beat trails coming out to the left of me and I can shoot without having to stand up. There are also no trees on the other side. If I faced it the other way, I'd have to stand up and turn around, or shoot left handed.
Are you saying the 760 and 870 are fugged?

At the prices some are paying for them....there are a couple fuggs involved...however, it isn't the firearms.

Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
Paypal Family and Friends only......
Posted By: RL Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
Damn Joel...You are the one that started the whine about landowners using their own property legally. laugh As far as tirades, I only do so when I see so called adults acting out childish whines better suited for kids...even more so when they try to cover it up in the "ethics" cloth.

However, I do admit that many landowners PMO when they act like little Kings over a mini country.

That guy that owns the Scrubgrass 1000 acres, I was directly responsible in generating him around $45,000 in cash over 12-15 years. In that I brought in 7 guys to pay him lease money to hunt it. Myself included. Then he had a buyer which was fine. However, when it fell thru right before Deer season, he didn't have the courtesy to let any of us have the opportunity to sign on again. And he was another, that constantly worried about someone shooting a poached Deer. And in addition..Guess who he called for backup when he was throwing two guys off....Guess????

I shot one right across his line and found it immensely satisfying...Most likely I would find the same with you.

"I shot one right across his line and found it immensely satisfying...Most likely I would find the same with you." That right there tells me all I need to know about clowns like you. Yes, a person has the right to put a structure/stand anywhere they want as long as it is on their property. The "right" stops when they encroach on my property i.e. you can look but you can't touch.

What I read is that it appears the guy placed his stand in such a way that it "may lead" to shooting or hunting property that doesn't belong to him. At the very least, I would and have reminded neighbors that they have no permission to hunt our property or cross it without my prior permission. I also agree that it is not worth jumping to conclusions but as they say "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it probably is a duck. It certainly is worth watching.

The only thing your quoted statement above will get you in Texas is disorderly conduct at best and possibly a felony, if you shoot across our property; even if you are on your own property. If I catch you, I can guarantee I will prosecute to the fullest too. Texas wildlife doesn't belong to property owners but I can promise you property owners invest heavily in Texas wildlife. In South Texas we take poaching very serious and that includes shooting across the fence.
Posted By: Teal Re: Line hunters...again - 03/09/22
Interesting thread.

There's nothing illegal in what the neighbor is doing. I think all agree. It might be shady and I think that's what concerns the OP.

I couldn't, myself, ever put a stand on my property line and face OUT - away from the land I own and feel good about my chances of legally taking game. Just me - because common sense dictates that's very unlikely.

Likewise - it's "legal" to stand on the sidewalk with a crow bar, screwdriver and hammer. You're not really breaking into a place, you're just standing there with tools on the sidewalk but a prudent homeowner is going to keep an eye out. I think that's where Joel's intent was. Cameras/eventual conversation about the PERCEPTION that this particular hunter, while legal might be ready for illegal acts.

Can he really do anything - nope.
Would it be wrong to put up cameras, just in case - nope. The same as it's not wrong to own a front door with a dead bolt.

FWIW - own 120 acres with neighbors. Family owns ~1000 acres, all with neighbors. I get it. Both sides. I want to use all 120 acres I own and I don't begrudge the neighbor using all of their 40. But post up on the line looking into mine, I'm going to have concern. That's prudent and normal.
Originally Posted by RL

"I shot one right across his line and found it immensely satisfying...Most likely I would find the same with you." That right there tells me all I need to know about clowns like you. Yes, a person has the right to put a structure/stand anywhere they want as long as it is on their property. The "right" stops when they encroach on my property i.e. you can look but you can't touch.

What I read is that it appears the guy placed his stand in such a way that it "may lead" to shooting or hunting property that doesn't belong to him. At the very least, I would and have reminded neighbors that they have no permission to hunt our property or cross it without my prior permission. I also agree that it is not worth jumping to conclusions but as they say "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck - it probably is a duck. It certainly is worth watching.

The only thing your quoted statement above will get you in Texas is disorderly conduct at best and possibly a felony, if you shoot across our property; even if you are on your own property. If I catch you, I can guarantee I will prosecute to the fullest too. Texas wildlife doesn't belong to property owners but I can promise you property owners invest heavily in Texas wildlife. In South Texas we take poaching very serious and that includes shooting across the fence.

I should have been more exact in my wording...."I shot one right across his line" meant I shot it right after it crossed his land onto land I had permission to hunt. NOT across onto his land. I thought my previous post with the HuntX map made that clear. However, I can see how you took it the way you did...

In Pittsburgheze we say things like "across the street" which means on the other side.

However, I did find it immensely satisfying I shot it in a place that closely bordered-like in feet-his land. In light of the fact I was responsible in bringing him around 45K in lease money, and then he didn't at least have the courtesy to talk to us when his land sale fell thru.

Two fuggs to Texas!!!! Smoke, you have anymore you care to get rid of... grin
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
I'm not giving you any more of my fuggs because you refuse to do the right thing and pass them along.

You just don't give a fugg.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
I'm not giving you any more of my fuggs because you refuse to do the right thing and pass them along.

You just don't give a fugg.

Fugg!!!! Oops no, I’m keeping that one. OK,,, maybe I can get some fuggs from Saudi Arabia…no, no they are not taking calls.

Man, I’m close to being completely fugged. Maybe Texas will give me my two fuggs back.

Gotta go to the classifieds…. Perhaps I can buy a few fuggs.
Posted By: Jaguar Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
So looking at the photo brings up questions. You have to zoom the photo so see the details it is so thick with limbs. Giving the other guy the benefit of the doubt/Devil's advocate.

Is there a fence that marks the property line here? Can't see one in the photo. Would that make an unmarked line difficult to find? Can’t tell if the line is fenced/marked/signed here.

Not knowing anything about setting up these stands, would the brush around the bottom and more to the point the limbs on the tree it is mounted on prevent setting it somewhere else around the circumference of the tree (like rotated more to the observer’s right)? The limbs make it so you can't rotate it more to the observer's left. Maybe you can't get it around on the back of the tree? Maybe they didn't want to cut trees and limbs? There also seems to be a safety bail that would drop down around the hunter which might be interfered with by nearby branches on the back or side of the tree.

The clearer area behind the stand looks like one of the few shooting lanes that isn't all branches (that is quite a tangle in there), would this setup not be more advantageous for a right-handed shooter to twist around for a shot back to the shooter’s left toward the clearer area? Guessing the angle by how rotated around the stand appears to be from straight on to the photographer. Trying to picture how you might shoot out of the stand at deer not behind the photographer. If the photo is taken from the line or fence, the stand does not appear to face square to it.

Not that I have this situation, but if I had a small property I would put my stand on the perimeter to give myself as much room as possible to shoot into my own land, given a good deer area to work in. So the location itself does not seem out of line. The problem seems to be with how it faces?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I would like to thank all those who PM’d me and donated fuggs. It is one of the things that make this place great….members coming thru when times are hard. Pears sent to all. Most especially Texas….They said I was at my Alamo moment and felt obligated.

Don’t Mess withTexas!!!! (Or cross the line.)

Addition:A three don’t give a fugg to Smokepole.
Could you please repeat the Addition, but in English this time?
You are pushing your luck. At one time you lived in a great State...and then your esteemed colleagues and the gentlemen of Virginia sent you packing to the shoithole of Colorado. There are only so many DGAF's one can receive before you will find yourself living in another....and while hunting, constantly looking at your HuntX trying to stay inside the lines.

Carefull, NJ may be the first choice...
Ha, we spent 7 years in south Texas before coming to CO.

I had to leave Texas, I could shoot over the high fences but it was a PITA to climb over, grab my deer, and pitch it back over to my side.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
Quit being a couple of stingy fuggs.....give just one....

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
That is BA HIIT program. You should post up a couple videos on the Backpacking workout thread. No wonder you are in such great shape. Great shooting also to figure in the drop when shooting over. Bet you dial.

Myself, sometimes I have a mile to the truck. Don’t like to leave a drag line…so I put them on my back.

Of course here most don’t care all that much. Pa is a fairly hunter friendly State.
I’m the tall, handsome, confident and charming one!!!!!

Myself, sometimes I have a mile to the truck. Don’t like to leave a drag line…so I put them on my back.

Yep, I don't know about you, but one of my favorite things to do during deer season is to throw a big buck up on my shoulder and go sashaying around in the woods.

Paul Barnard taught me how to do that. I don't wear spandex like he does though.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
When I grow up, I want to be like you guys....except I'm going to wear camo spandex.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
....except I'm going to wear camo spandex.

Ain't no such thang.
Just buy in small...None will know it isn't spandex..

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/124...ght-base-layer-pant-camouflage-mens-tall

Although myself I prefer Duluth....Less binding when I have to jump the high fence. And those Texas Deer can easily have 30 pounds of corn and Deer Cocaine in their paunch.

Also much more wicking capability for those hot Texas nights when you are on a run... wink

Yeah, a small would probably fit.

Of course, I'd have to have the crotch let out.

Yeah, a small would probably fit.

Of course, I'd have to have the crotch let out.

Again Duluth is the choice of the pros...go with the Bullpen....

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-...derwear#start=10&cgid=mens-underwear
We have kinda got away from shooting over the line...However, from a long time ago..

Family was putting on a Doe clean up day and a friend of my Cousin...Tom....showed up. He had a rifle that looked more than beat up. I mentioned it to him and he replied, "If you had been thrown out of a car as many times as that rifle, you wouldn't look all that good yourself." I think he crossed more than the center line in the highway.

Addition: Redfield or Leupold, can't remember which...But it most certainly passed the drop test. More than once....
Posted By: Teal Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
Found the neighbors on our land once. Of course they were "looking for a hit deer" - cool beans man. I'll help. Where's last blood?

Miraculously - no blood to be found. They gave up shortly after that.

Had a different neighbor doing the "stand on the line" thing - only their bait pile was ON my property. A couple felled balsams gave them the point. No issues after.

And once - some bird hunters. Claimed "XXX's son told us we could hunt this" - Oh yeah was it A or J? - A. Funny, that's me and I don't know or remember you. They left.

Never understood the desire to trespass.
Posted By: RL Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
Originally Posted by RL

I should have been more exact in my wording...."I shot one right across his line" meant I shot it right after it crossed his land onto land I had permission to hunt. NOT across onto his land. I thought my previous post with the HuntX map made that clear. However, I can see how you took it the way you did...

In Pittsburgheze we say things like "across the street" which means on the other side.

However, I did find it immensely satisfying I shot it in a place that closely bordered-like in feet-his land. In light of the fact I was responsible in bringing him around 45K in lease money, and then he didn't at least have the courtesy to talk to us when his land sale fell thru.

Yep, it is difficult to understand what you meant when it's not what you said - but clear now. If you found it satisfying to shoot a deer on your property to spite the other guy, that seems pretty childish, but whatever. I do agree that the landowner was pretty sorry in not communicating with you. Business is business but there is a right way to do it and I would have handled differently. I have a very good "business" relationship with our hunters.

Please don't spend your "fuggs" on Texas or at least on my part of Texas. We have plenty since we don't just give them away for just any ole reason. However, in this case I am willing to give you one - go look in the mirror and hold up your right hand, palm facing in. Next, fold all but your middle finger down to where the middle finger is the only one sticking up. Next, fold your thumb across the fingers that are folded down to hold them in place. Now - look in the mirror. There is your "fugg" from Texas. Have a great day my friend.....
Again, years ago...back when we had Deer in over abundance. (And people thought different about being in the hunting game together.)

Farmer wouldn't let any hunt, yet he would gut shoot every Deer on his land, and bragged about it....Well one day he went into the small town to pick something up. When he came back to his vehicle it was on its side with a note. He was smart enough not to make an issue of it...He opened up to hunting.
Originally Posted by RL
Originally Posted by RL

Yep, it is difficult to understand what you meant when it's not what you said - but clear now. If you found it satisfying to shoot a deer on your property to spite the other guy, that seems pretty childish, but whatever. I do agree that the landowner was pretty sorry in not communicating with you. Business is business but there is a right way to do it and I would have handled differently. I have a very good "business" relationship with our hunters.

Please don't spend your "fuggs" on Texas or at least on my part of Texas. We have plenty since we don't just give them away for just any ole reason. However, in this case I am willing to give you one - go look in the mirror and hold up your right hand, palm facing in. Next, fold all but your middle finger down to where the middle finger is the only one sticking up. Next, fold your thumb across the fingers that are folded down to hold them in place. Now - look in the mirror. There is your "fugg" from Texas. Have a great day my friend.....

Good one!!!! laugh

Most excellent in the vein of this thread...I like it!!!!
Posted By: BradinVA Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22
Again, years ago...back when we had Deer in over abundance. (And people thought different about being in the hunting game together.)

Farmer wouldn't let any hunt, yet he would gut shoot every Deer on his land, and bragged about it....Well one day he went into the small town to pick something up. When he came back to his vehicle it was on its side with a note. He was smart enough not to make an issue of it...He opened up to hunting.

That approach sounds just like what the commies are doing with the jab.
Oh please..get a grip. The old Campfire worn out Commie accusation....
Posted By: BradinVA Re: Line hunters...again - 03/10/22

I bet you're not married.
Originally Posted by BradinVA

I bet you're not married.

Not presently, but do have a family that loves me....What is your excuse? I'm sure they have more than one.

And in addition, that approach happened to be a group of men that solved a bad situation quickly...Something that obviously escapes you and your enlightened diversity personality. Guarantee you one thing...you wouldn't have been invited into the group.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Line hunters...again - 03/17/22
I saw a pic once where a guy had set a pole on his property with a piece of plywood at the top blocking the fence line hunters view
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/17/22
Dang, I always wondered why Battue borrowed that plywood.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by ejo

+1
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22
What kind of stand is it, is it possible he likes to face the tree?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by elkmtb
I saw a pic once where a guy had set a pole on his property with a piece of plywood at the top blocking the fence line hunters view

Plywood is to expensive to do that with now....well, if you're buying. If you're wise like Battue you borrow it.

This thread has gone on long enough. Joel/AK, it's time you sit down with this guy and help him get an account set up here so we can talk to him.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22

Next time would you please not do a rough cut on the edges....Anyway, now I know where to send the Vet bill.

And thanks to you and JCM for knowing I only borrowed it....Some nice interior plywood left lying around would also be appreciated....along with some finishing nails. And if you would ask nicely I would move it away from your line. However, it is too damn heavy,..so adapt or move. (Some will think that attitude comes from a commie, single guy who got the jab...Well, two out of three ain't bad for a guesser.)

Windows on three sides, so I'm not only looking onto yours. Neighborly considerations always goes a long way in getting along. Actual photo is from another's stand that I was welcomed into..I need to borrow some additional materials in order to have mine on my own property.

Addition: JCM I disagree on having the guy join here and try to work it out. There are currently more than enough petty beetching posts on a daily basis. I do my best not to join in, however some misconstrue my intentions..

Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22

Addition: JCM I disagree on having the guy join here and try to work it out. There are currently more than enough petty beetching posts on a daily basis. I do my best not to join in, however some misconstrue my intentions..

I sorry, I didn't mean to mislead. In no way was I insinuating that any attempt would be made to work things out. My apologies.

...but there's no need to go full on commie. Limitation of freedom of beeching...this is unthinkable. Someone should start a call out thread about it. I'd do it here but I want to keep the thread on topic.

Addition: Should anyone doubt the sincerity of my posts for having said neighbor join and battue's lack of love for beeching......you might be in the right train of thought.
Back in the old days....we called that "One toke over the line."

And it really PO'd ole Spiro...but he was a Commie..Married also if I remember...hummm

Posted By: hanco Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Maybe he hunching that tree????
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Maybe he hunching that tree????

Joel gets that on the camera..... and I'm betting the stand will be gone shortly....
OK... break time. Have to go workout. Leg day....I hate leg day, but if you want to still be able to climb high, you hafta do it.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/18/22

Next time would you please not do a rough cut on the edges....Anyway, now I know where to send the Vet bill.

That's obviously been photoshopped.
I figured you would try to get out of paying.....Anyway, leg day was a beetch and I'm a little tired from trying to keep up with the instructors...

I like my workout music old school....

Must admit, I only workout with the older ones....Can't keep up to the younger ones..
If that's what you do for leg day, remind me to never go to the gym with you.

Pretty sure I could never un-see that.
Probably not....But it's not me you would be perving on...(blast from the past)

A heads up...your HIIT workouts would be much more productive if you quit the Englebert Humperdink and went a little more upbeat...
Englebert Humperdink? Don't know who that is but he must be before my time,and before agents were a thing.

Because if he'd had an agent, his name wouldn't have been Englebert Humperdink.
Have to admit...In your day you had it going on!!!!!

Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/19/22
Have to admit...In your day you had it going on!!!!!

Well, yes that's true but that video with every woman in the bar following me around is kind of ridiculous.

I never had hair that long, and I never wore a trench coat. SHeesh.
Posted By: battue Re: Line hunters...again - 03/20/22
.....Hold into the what's my name? Now spell it!!!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Line hunters...again - 03/20/22
.....Hold into the what's my name? Now spell it!!!!

You lost me with your pop culture reference there. Dude , you would be awesome on Jeopardy!
© 24hourcampfire