Home
Great morning. One of my greatest joys is deer hunting. But better than. Seeing deer is killing dogs....
I got lucky and turned this mover with a yelp then drew him back to about 125 with some kisses.
He only gave me the face and neck so I drilled him in the throat.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Good work! What did you hit him with?
When a coyote comes along, any hunt becomes a coyote hunt
+1. After seeing Gringo Loco's picture sequence down in "Buck vs. Coyote", I see it as our civic duty to take out every one that we see. I knew that wolves had their way with adult deer, but when I asked our local DNR wildlife people about coyotes and deer, they said that they just keep yarded up deer in heavy snow areas confined and help clean up the winter killed deer carcasses. I would have thought that buck pictured certainly has the head gear to fend off any 30# coyote on dry ground, but it appears not. Tough way to go.
165 HORNADY BTSP over 42gr IMR4985
Pretty coyote and nice equipment.

I’m shooting coyotes on site whether I’m deer hunting or not.
Wolves yes. Coyotes no.
Not worth making that much noise for a coyote, but killing wolves does help the deer and elk heard.
I shoot coyotes all the time except when I am hunting elk, antelope or deer
Just yesterday my kids and I were deer hunting on private land. We came upon a couple coyotes. One took off but the other stayed by what looked like a deer hide in the snow. We had permission to deer hunt not coyote hunt and some landowners can be very specific in what they will allow you to hunt. Also, we were putting a stalk (long round about way) on some deer. So we didn't shoot them. Really wanted to, but would rather eat deer.
Nice work!

Coyotes are the only other critters legal to shoot in WV during the first three days of the regular firearms season. Would love to have the chance, as I’ve never seen one while hunting. They’re around for certain.
Shoot 'em on sight....just like pigs!
If you are in our deer camp and I put you on a stand where I think you will see deer and shoot deer and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back. If we are making deer drives and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back.
I shot one wednesday morning (opening day deer for rifle). She came trotting by and the shot was about 15 yards. 2 years ago I missed 1 and was as upset as I would have been if I had missed a deer. Good work Ringworm.
Kill every one I can. Project deer fawns, kill coyotes.
We pretty much shoot any we see. I don’t worry about spooking deer anymore.

Two years ago I was hunting a stand with two food plots. The far side of the field in front was about 200 yards. The other field was about 45 degrees to my left and the far end is right at 300. There were two does and two fawns feeding in it about 200 yards away.

Shortly before dark a bobcat popped out of the right side of the field in front. I had a 7 Mag and when the bobcat stopped for a moment I shot him. I looked at the does in the other field and they didn’t even look up..they just kept feeding.

About ten minutes after I shot, a six point popped out of the far side of the field to my front and about 15 or 20 yards from where the bobcat was lying. The buck looked over at the bobcat, gave him a couple of head bobs and eased out into the field to feed. None of the deer seemed spooked by my shot although the buck did take a couple of peeks at the bobcat.
Pard and I had this exact discussion this morning when we drug my deer out.

He killed a coyote and then a doe 10 minutes later.

His boy started laughing when I said I will take the coyote before a deer every time. Said his dad said the same thing while they were dragging his doe out.

Every coyote killed protects the fawns. Let a coyote walk and you may as well kiss a half dozen or more fawns goodbye for next year.

I have killed several while deer hunting then killed a deer a short time later.

Edited: He killed a coyote and a spike out the same field last night too. Different piece of property.
And everybody around here wonders why we have quite a few less deer and I bet 75% of the turkeys we had 20 years ago.

Very few coon hunters left, a few trappers and guys let predators walk.

Less rabbits and quail and more raptors than ever.

I never have figured out why we kill 4 legged predators and the birds get a pass.
Originally Posted by ringworm

Sounds like a .308 to me....but I guess that would have been too easy 🤷‍♂️
I don’t think gunfire is all that big of a deal to deer in settled places, unless it’s very close. Where I hunt, there are neighbors who target shoot, waterfowl hunters very near on the Shenandoah, and of course hunters taking their pokes. Seen too many deer, chucks, and turkeys wander around on ranges to believe they connect the noise with deadly peril. Add the sound of an action being worked, and maybe some other signs of hostile humanity, and it may be a different story. Twice in my younger days I missed a deer with a ML and came very close to getting the gun reloaded while the deer just stood there, alert, but not panicked.

I'm with you and your pal. I’ll take the yote in the hand over a deer in the bush.
I shoot them most of the year and during deer season. I am much more particular during elk season. I personally believe a hunter should put in a couple of trips a year just working on hunting coyotes.

One our family's groups run hounds, trap and work as predator control agents in Southern Oregon and Northern California. Their dislike of coyotes is nearly boundless. Not just deer but lots of livestock fall to them.

The worst things I have seen involved sheep.

On one occasion they killed one sheep and ate its guts, then bit anither 15 in the neck and hocks either training or for fun. In most cases the neck bit ones get infected, swell and choke to death.

Another situation involved them chasing unshorn sheep around in hot weather until some died.
I've taken a few while deer hunting and a few times have shot deer not long afterwards.

I'm under the assumption that gunfire is to deer what thunder is to us; unless, naturally, the deer are very close to the gun.

-Ken
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by ringworm

Sounds like a .308 to me....but I guess that would have been too easy 🤷‍♂️

Ask a loader.... That's what ya get.
Originally Posted by moosemike
When a coyote comes along, any hunt becomes a coyote hunt

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This
For those thinking coyotes only kill fawns, take a lot at this thread, especially Gringo Loco’s photos.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17791661/buck-vs-coyote#Post17791661
I shoot them whenever I can. Got this one while deer hunting, many many moons ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I like my crossbow it don't make a lot of sound . I don' mind wasting a bolt & broad head on a yote or bobcat. I can deer hunt later
I have seen an excessive amount of coyotes this year while deer hunting. I’ve been shooting them with my bow everytime
If a nice buck and a coyote were both in range I'd take the coyote first.
Originally Posted by southtexas

Yessir
Originally Posted by Houser52
Pretty coyote and nice equipment.

I’m shooting coyotes on site whether I’m deer hunting or not.

Yessir
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
And everybody around here wonders why we have quite a few less deer and I bet 75% of the turkeys we had 20 years ago.

I never have figured out why we kill 4 legged predators and the birds get a pass.

^ ^ ^ ^

I trap what I can get
Never had that much luck trying
to specifically gun hunt them.
Where I go they're all call savvy and
the few that try to hunt em call too
much and expect em to jump up
in their lap
Not many around here willing to
trap either
I shoot a lot more coyotes from the deer stand than I do deer. There's a lot more dogs out there than deer, and orders from the boss man (my buddy that owns the land) is shoot all the fuggers on sight.
I don't shoot them unless I am about to get down and most I have seen were when I first got in the stand.
One of the guys I hunted with Saturday shot one and killed a deer later off the same stand. Another shot twice at bobcats killing one and he saw deer later on that stand. I just hate to shoot unless it is a nice buck.
Originally Posted by southtexas

Bingo. Entirely possible to get multiple critters on the same sit. I've shot bucks minutes after shooting something else with a centerfire rifle.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I don't shoot them unless I am about to get down and most I have seen were when I first got in the stand.
One of the guys I hunted with Saturday shot one and killed a deer later off the same stand. Another shot twice at bobcats killing one and he saw deer later on that stand. I just hate to shoot unless it is a nice buck.
And if that coyote kills a buck fawn that could have been a nice deer you will never see that nice buck.
I killed my best WT buck on the ground at about 90 yards a couple minutes after shooting a coyote at about 10 yards from the same position.
I've taken bucks and coyotes out of the same stand, on the same morning, multiple times.

Last year I shot a coyote early, some time later that morning a group of does with last years fawns came along the same trail. The lead doe jumped back when she saw it which made all of them jump. Then she circled around it and walked up to within a few feet sniffing for a minute....after that, she and the entire group walked on by it. In that same stand I've seen coyotes chasing deer.

Last year I missed a coyote. A short while later I shot a nice buck in the same location walking the same path the coyote took. The earlier shot didn't seem to stop him from coming by.

There may be times a shot or a dead coyote laying there makes a difference...but I'm willing to chance it.
Originally Posted by roundoak
If you are in our deer camp and I put you on a stand where I think you will see deer and shoot deer and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back. If we are making deer drives and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back.
Pretty much just the opposite here. I shoot every coyote I see and expect anyone hunting on our property to do the same.
I've shot them while on deer and bear stands. I shoot everyone I see when I have a weapon in my hands.
I will shoot over top a buck to kill a coyote. I hate them, top priority in the field is always to kill them damn things.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I killed my best WT buck on the ground at about 90 yards a couple minutes after shooting a coyote at about 10 yards from the same position.
Not a coyote story, but my son shot his buck this year about 150 yards below where we blasted several grouse 20 minutes or so prior. The group of deer were quite subdued, with a couple bedded down, when we spotted them, less than 100 yards away in the timber.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Pretty much just the opposite here. I shoot every coyote I see and expect anyone hunting on our property to do the same.

I allways shoot coyotes when I see them. But Roundoak has shot more big bucks than I have ever seen in season, he knows more about them than 95+% of all the deer hunters you know and read about anywhere. He has many acres of prime whitetail habitat and manages it better for big whitetails than just about anybody ever. I'm all ears when he talks...mb
Shooting doesn’t seem to bother deer much here
Killed this one last weekend

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

I allways shoot coyotes when I see them. But Roundoak has shot more big bucks than I have ever seen in season, he knows more about them than 95+% of all the deer hunters you know and read about anywhere. He has many acres of prime whitetail habitat and manages it better for big whitetails than just about anybody ever. I'm all ears when he talks...mb

I'm with roundoak. We've got all winter to chase coyotes.
Originally Posted by hanco

Pipe bomb?
I shoot coyotes when I see them, if someone is hunting on my place and doesn't shoot a coyote when they can they aren't welcome back. The only acceptable excuse would be because a huge buck is coming on a string, and even then the coyote better get shot at after the deer if remotely possible. If it's me hunting, I'll shoot the coyote first as soon as I see him. I've shot several big bucks, killing coyotes or passing on them doesn't have anything to do with it. If anything I've had more deer spooked by yotes and screwed up a hunt than anything.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by hanco

Pipe bomb?

7 mag, he was walking through the bushes
Pretty much whatever blows somebody's dress up.

We all have different mindsets on what works for us and different ideas.

Some want to kill coyotes while deer hunting and some dont.

Like SKane says, we have all winter to kill coyotes but they have 24/7/365 to roam the countryside, no seasons or regulations for what they do.

If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it, I figure missing out on a deer is better than the number of fawns, turkeys and small critters a coyote kills.

But if you come to my place you better be killing coyotes, foxes, bobcats and coons. I don't need em around at all. Already have better than a 50% reduction in turkeys from 15 years ago. More than just the coyotes factor into that but far less houndsmen around than we had helping control those coyotes.

Killed this little pig, Coyote decide to check him out after pig squealed. 308
"If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it" Ouch...that makes me wince a bit. I'm still looking for a 180" buck! smile
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
"If it hurts my chances at a 180" buck so be it" Ouch...that makes me wince a bit. I'm still looking for a 180" buck! smile
Just a buck deer. Some get wrapped up over a 150". Yep that's a very nice deer but takes a but more than that to get me really excited.

Want to talk about something to get me wound up
Give me a 24-25# gobbler, 12+" beard and 1 3/4" spurs. Bet they are more rare than some of these "big" bucks.

But we can't kill either if we are feeding coyotes.
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The only acceptable excuse would be because a huge buck is coming on a string, and even then the coyote better get shot at after the deer if remotely possible.

So, there are big differences in topography and terrain throughout the states (and Canada) and I think that aids in shaping our feelings toward doing so.
For instance, in our neck of the woods, we're hunting pretty solid timber – I don't know what I'm not seeing, ergo, I'm not making unnecessary noise. If I'm in stand to hunt deer, I'm hunting deer.

Now, where I've hunted in states like Nebraska and Kansas, many times I can see an awfully long way and I have a lot better understanding of what I could or couldn't bugger. And, I've shot coyotes in those situations but not at the expense of what I'm there to do because what I'm there to do has come at considerable expense. whistle
Originally Posted by DANNYL
If a nice buck and a coyote were both in range I'd take the coyote first.
Every time 👍

You Just described Western New YORK ! (Except Quail, Never had them here) and NO Grouse.

Dirty Harry
I did shoot one coyote while setting under a juniper tree watching a junction of crossing deer paths. Afterwards, I decided not to that again because we drove a long way to hunt deer.
Sunday morning I had a small doe walk by and seemed pretty nervous. Five minutes later a Coyote was standing in front of me in her tracks, he got it and jumped into the corn about 30 yds out and died. Another 5 minutes goes by and a 2.5 year old Buck is standing in the same spot looking for the Coyote he knows is in the corn. Slowly he walked off tracking the small doe.
Wacked this one at first light Saturday, had a doe and buck trot right by it later, didnt seem to spook them
If I come to your camp can I kill a coyote after I kill one of them big ol sumac island bucks?
If I come to your camp can I kill a coyote after I kill one of them big ol sumac island bucks?
Gun shots don't really seem to bother the deer around here unless it's really close. I can't tell you how many times I've shot a deer and had more deer show up within the next couple of minutes.

However, in this case, I shot the deer first and I did it with a muzzle loader. The buck gets within 50 yards and I shoot it. The buck takes off and goes about 100 yards and crashes in the thicket. Out runs the yote and stops in front of me at 25 yards. My first thought was that I'd never be able to reload in time or I was going to get busted. The coyote hung around long enough and every time he turned his back or went behind a tree I made my moves. He screwed around too long and I shot him when he was about 50 yards away.

© 24hourcampfire