Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Great morning. One of my greatest joys is deer hunting. But better than. Seeing deer is killing dogs....
I got lucky and turned this mover with a yelp then drew him back to about 125 with some kisses.
He only gave me the face and neck so I drilled him in the throat.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good work! What did you hit him with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When a coyote comes along, any hunt becomes a coyote hunt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1. After seeing Gringo Loco's picture sequence down in "Buck vs. Coyote", I see it as our civic duty to take out every one that we see. I knew that wolves had their way with adult deer, but when I asked our local DNR wildlife people about coyotes and deer, they said that they just keep yarded up deer in heavy snow areas confined and help clean up the winter killed deer carcasses. I would have thought that buck pictured certainly has the head gear to fend off any 30# coyote on dry ground, but it appears not. Tough way to go.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
165 HORNADY BTSP over 42gr IMR4985

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Pretty coyote and nice equipment.

I’m shooting coyotes on site whether I’m deer hunting or not.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Wolves yes. Coyotes no.
Not worth making that much noise for a coyote, but killing wolves does help the deer and elk heard.
I shoot coyotes all the time except when I am hunting elk, antelope or deer

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just yesterday my kids and I were deer hunting on private land. We came upon a couple coyotes. One took off but the other stayed by what looked like a deer hide in the snow. We had permission to deer hunt not coyote hunt and some landowners can be very specific in what they will allow you to hunt. Also, we were putting a stalk (long round about way) on some deer. So we didn't shoot them. Really wanted to, but would rather eat deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work!

Coyotes are the only other critters legal to shoot in WV during the first three days of the regular firearms season. Would love to have the chance, as I’ve never seen one while hunting. They’re around for certain.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoot 'em on sight....just like pigs!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are in our deer camp and I put you on a stand where I think you will see deer and shoot deer and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back. If we are making deer drives and you shoot coyotes. Don't come back.

Last edited by roundoak; 11/13/22.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I shot one wednesday morning (opening day deer for rifle). She came trotting by and the shot was about 15 yards. 2 years ago I missed 1 and was as upset as I would have been if I had missed a deer. Good work Ringworm.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Kill every one I can. Project deer fawns, kill coyotes.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
We pretty much shoot any we see. I don’t worry about spooking deer anymore.

Two years ago I was hunting a stand with two food plots. The far side of the field in front was about 200 yards. The other field was about 45 degrees to my left and the far end is right at 300. There were two does and two fawns feeding in it about 200 yards away.

Shortly before dark a bobcat popped out of the right side of the field in front. I had a 7 Mag and when the bobcat stopped for a moment I shot him. I looked at the does in the other field and they didn’t even look up..they just kept feeding.

About ten minutes after I shot, a six point popped out of the far side of the field to my front and about 15 or 20 yards from where the bobcat was lying. The buck looked over at the bobcat, gave him a couple of head bobs and eased out into the field to feed. None of the deer seemed spooked by my shot although the buck did take a couple of peeks at the bobcat.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pard and I had this exact discussion this morning when we drug my deer out.

He killed a coyote and then a doe 10 minutes later.

His boy started laughing when I said I will take the coyote before a deer every time. Said his dad said the same thing while they were dragging his doe out.

Every coyote killed protects the fawns. Let a coyote walk and you may as well kiss a half dozen or more fawns goodbye for next year.

I have killed several while deer hunting then killed a deer a short time later.

Edited: He killed a coyote and a spike out the same field last night too. Different piece of property.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/13/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And everybody around here wonders why we have quite a few less deer and I bet 75% of the turkeys we had 20 years ago.

Very few coon hunters left, a few trappers and guys let predators walk.

Less rabbits and quail and more raptors than ever.

I never have figured out why we kill 4 legged predators and the birds get a pass.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ringworm
165 HORNADY BTSP over 42gr IMR4985

Sounds like a .308 to me....but I guess that would have been too easy 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t think gunfire is all that big of a deal to deer in settled places, unless it’s very close. Where I hunt, there are neighbors who target shoot, waterfowl hunters very near on the Shenandoah, and of course hunters taking their pokes. Seen too many deer, chucks, and turkeys wander around on ranges to believe they connect the noise with deadly peril. Add the sound of an action being worked, and maybe some other signs of hostile humanity, and it may be a different story. Twice in my younger days I missed a deer with a ML and came very close to getting the gun reloaded while the deer just stood there, alert, but not panicked.

I'm with you and your pal. I’ll take the yote in the hand over a deer in the bush.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shoot them most of the year and during deer season. I am much more particular during elk season. I personally believe a hunter should put in a couple of trips a year just working on hunting coyotes.

One our family's groups run hounds, trap and work as predator control agents in Southern Oregon and Northern California. Their dislike of coyotes is nearly boundless. Not just deer but lots of livestock fall to them.

The worst things I have seen involved sheep.

On one occasion they killed one sheep and ate its guts, then bit anither 15 in the neck and hocks either training or for fun. In most cases the neck bit ones get infected, swell and choke to death.

Another situation involved them chasing unshorn sheep around in hot weather until some died.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've taken a few while deer hunting and a few times have shot deer not long afterwards.

I'm under the assumption that gunfire is to deer what thunder is to us; unless, naturally, the deer are very close to the gun.

-Ken

Last edited by kendibs; 11/13/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.