Home
Good luck, Men!
You too!
Good luck boys!
After yesterday, it’s good to see the wind lay down. A brisk 24* and 5mph NNW wind

My stand faces the west with no wind block.
Stay warm and good luck
Good luck to ya Skeen, and all the other Kansas hunters! Just don’t hurt yourself trying to get the proof of kill selfie! LOL. Use a backpack and your timer on your phone camera! It’s what I did for “Wide Willie” pics last year. 😎

Doc_Holidudey
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Good luck to ya Skeen, and all the other Kansas hunters! Just don’t hurt yourself trying to get the proof of kill selfie! LOL. Use a backpack and your timer on your phone camera! It’s what I did for “Wide Willie” pics last year. 😎

Doc_Holidudey

Doc, I wish I was out there.

I filled my buck tag back in the second week of September. I'm just playing cheerleader for my boys. More often than not, one or both of them, will pull a pretty nice buck out of the Flint Hills. smile

I'm gonna have to google how to use an iPhone camera timer. blush laugh
I hung up my spurs on deer last year - so go get’ ‘em..
Originally Posted by skeen

Doc_Holidudey

I filled my buck tag back in the second week of September. I'm just playing cheerleader for my boys. More often than not, one or both of them, will pull a pretty nice buck out of the Flint Hills. smile

Do you all have to buy tags for a certain unit or is that just for us non residents?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Doc_Holidudey

Do you all have to buy tags for a certain unit or is that just for us non residents?
General tag statewide good for all units and all seasons. But you can only kill 1 buck, regardless of season or method, and up to 5 does.

You do have to apply for a mule deer stamp now, which kinda' sucks.
Got ya…thought maybe you had nuther tag. Hit the camera app, touch the clock icon, pick 10s, and hit yer photo button…10 seconds later, selfie trophy perfection. (Other than I wasn’t smart enough to clean Wide Willie’s nose/mouth area out a bit first!). LOL, really me, really my archery buck last year!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Doc_Holidudey

General tag statewide good for all units and all seasons. But you can only kill 1 buck, regardless of season or method, and up to 5 does.

You do have to apply for a mule deer stamp now, which kinda' sucks.
Man I thought Missouri cutting us back to 2 bucks was rough.

They did start limiting number of firearms antleress permits per county. We are at 2 antlerless permits per county for the 2 counties I hunt.

Antlerless archery still unlimited on number of deer we can kill.
Had a couple does at about 40 yards this morning, a decent 8pt came storming through and pushed them out. He managed to keep trees between us and moving at a good clip so I never got a shot. 11 year old Grandson was sitting in a two man ladder stand with his dad on our other property, got a chance at a buck but twisted all the way to his right couldn't get steady enough and missed. Going to be a warm week, two days forecast in the 60s. Not sure how much movement we'll see.
Working today, but will hunt this weekend at my wife's farm in Mitchell County.
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Had a couple does at about 40 yards this morning, a decent 8pt came storming through and pushed them out. He managed to keep trees between us and moving at a good clip so I never got a shot. 11 year old Grandson was sitting in a two man ladder stand with his dad on our other property, got a chance at a buck but twisted all the way to his right couldn't get steady enough and missed. Going to be a warm week, two days forecast in the 60s. Not sure how much movement we'll see.
70 on Friday then 40 on Saturday. Should help this weekend hunter.
Saw a couple does and a forked horn on my neighbor's this morning.

All were shootable, but I'm waiting as my freezers full. Heading back out tonight and tomorrow. I know there's a couple decent bucks in the spot I'm hunting, so there's no hurry. Friend TXT'd me pics of a nine 11Pt he got this morning out by Holton.

In area 10 we're down to 1 buck and 1 doe. On the Fort, they're still allowed 1 buck and 5 does.
One of my kids pulled a couple trail cam pics from where he's hunting today. He's got at least 6 different bucks on there in the last week.

He's particular about what he pulls the trigger on though, unlike his ol' man. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wow hope your son gets that big boy!
One of my kids pulled a couple trail cam pics from where he's hunting today. He's got at least 6 different bucks on there in the last week.

He's particular about what he pulls the trigger on though, unlike his ol' man. grin

👍🏿
Nobody killing?
Originally Posted by greenomics
Nobody killing?
My oldest boy has passed up a few bucks looking for one of the bigger 'uns he has on cam' to show.

Those are some nice lookin bucks you got down there skeen, hope you guys connect..
Nobody killing?
My oldest boy has passed up a few bucks looking for one of the bigger 'uns he has on cam' to show.

👍🏼
Pretty sure Skane is in KS right now. Not sure if he has a tag. If not he'll probably do some predator control. Pretty sure his pop's has a tag.

In any case, I sure we'll get a recap when he returns and has time. Always a good read.
Had a few mature bucks running around our place about 4 weeks ago. Kid still has a tag so we're going to go see what we can find here shortly. I kind of like the late rifle season of KS. Gives the bigger bucks a chance to breed in peace besides all the archery guys lol.
This wind has been something, 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.
That strong south wind doesn’t work for the two blinds I’m wanting to hunt out of so I stayed home today. One of my target bucks showed up on the Tactacam for first time in a couple weeks yesterday at 11 am. Even though the wind was wrong I went to the blind about 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon hoping to give anything I spooked going in time to come back before evening. I saw several does and young bucks but not what I was waiting for. I spent 9 hours in a different blind Wednesday to no avail. A really nice buck that’s been hanging out there all fall set off the Tactacam there at 8:15 am yesterday and again today. I’m going to try that spot again in the morning and shoot him if I get the chance. He’s the 3rd best buck on that farm but I don’t like my chances if I wait for one of the other two or the buck I went after yesterday. I’m really wanting to put a notch in my new Stag 6.8 spc.

Here is the pic from 11 am yesterday, sure wish I’d been in that Redneck blind in the background [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Whoaaa^^^^nice one!
This one was Wednesday afternoon a little after 1 pm. Came in with a herd of does. The bigger does stayed in the trees, she and some others were close by in the pasture. No bucks followed them up.

Strange thing is for no bigger than she was her bag was full of milk...in December. My guess is she was bred late last year for the first time and had a fawn late this year.

Still have one more tag to fill. Yesterday morning I stayed out from sunrise until just after noon, deer were hunkered down. Froze my chod off in that cold wind. Didn't go out today but I'll keep after it this weekend and through next week if I have to.
I sat in a blind overlooking a creek edge and a small bean field on 14 different days during the archery season. Saw several bucks at too long a distance and never got a shot opportunity.
Thursday of rifle season I sat in same blind and shot a 10 point less than hour into hunt at 20 yards.
He was operating with a handicap as he had recently lost his left eye and had a pretty good tear in his hide around the eye.
Evens out as I was handicapped with a 6.5 creedmore in a Henry Ranger shooting a Hornady soft point.
Good luck men!
Filled my tag this morning. Reports were not overly positive so I wasn't picky.

Good deal!

Looked cold out, low 20's.

I rolled back over and went back to bed. blush

It's hard to get excited about hunting when all you got is doe tags. frown

Good deal!

Looked cold out, low 20's.

I rolled back over and went back to bed. blush

It's hard to get excited about hunting when all you got is doe tags. frown
I think my truck read 17 degrees this morning. Chilly for sure. Buck is hanging and will try to kill some ducks this afternoon.

Congrats!

I'm not there yet, but I'm not seeing anything spectacular (or even god yet) either. I'm normally optimistic throughout the general season due to the later antlerless. the way I see it I've been feeding my back yard does for a couple months now and they owe me. IF they're not going to be the buck magnets I'm raising them to be, then they'll end up in the freezer come JAN.

I was out this am and can verify staying better would have been a better decision.. At least it wasn't gale force winds.
I went ahead and pushed the easy button this morning on the buck I mentioned in my earlier post. I could have killed this buck about anytime I wanted to this fall but kept hoping one of the 2 better bucks I’ve seen there might come back after rut was over. I think this is a 4.5 year old and thought I’d let him grow or let my niece take a crack at him. Well, he came out at 7:40 and gave me a shot too easy to pass up. I’m happy to be done and maybe my niece will get a chance at one of the big ones. Stag Arms varminter in 6.8 spc shooting 115 gr Winchester Deer Season XP. He ran 75 yards after a perfect heart/lung shot from 65 yards. No exit but left good blood trail had I needed it. 19” inside spread with 3 tines over 10”.
Originally Posted by crc1514
I went ahead and pushed the easy button this morning on the buck I mentioned in my earlier post. I could have killed this buck about anytime I wanted to this fall but kept hoping one of the 2 better bucks I’ve seen there might come back after rut was over. I think this is a 4.5 year old and thought I’d let him grow or let my niece take a crack at him. Well, he came out at 7:40 and gave me a shot too easy to pass up. I’m happy to be done and maybe my niece will get a chance at one of the big ones. Stag Arms varminter in 6.8 spc shooting 115 gr Winchester Deer Season XP. He ran 75 yards after a perfect heart/lung shot from 65 yards. No exit but left good blood trail had I needed it. 19” inside spread with 3 tines over 10”.

Nice one! Congratulations!!!
Originally Posted by crc1514

Nice buck, crc!
Jake, my oldest Son, and Rocky, my youngest, tagged up on this last day of the season buck.

Jake on the shot and Rocky on the recovery. smile

Truthfully, Jake saw it drop just about 60 yards from the shot, but Rocky loves to get in on recoveries and drags. laugh

Good stuff!
Great bucks gentlemen
Congrats on the bucks gents (and extended family).
I didn't even carry my rifle this season other than 'just in case/back up duty' for my 12 year old.

Opening morning, sitting in a double ladder stand, had a buck move in front of us working to our right. My boy is right handed, not very proficient/experienced in moving around, and by the time the buck was out of the brush and in the clear, it was a hard right and behind shot, exactly what a right hander doesn't want. He missed and was pretty upset about it. 4 different bucks that morning that most any of us likely could have had down easily, plus a handful of does. Learning experience for him.

Went back Saturday morning, only saw some does running around from who knows what way out in some brush and never had a shot opportunity.

Friday after school we went. Got to the field about 4:30 (hour and half drive after school ended) and there were 4 does already in it. They 'slowly' spooked out while we got a pair of chairs set up behind an electric pole on the edge of the field. About 20 minutes later I could hear some hooves hit the oak leaves as they were coming back out to the field. I asked if he wanted to shoot a doe or wait for a buck. Boom. 85 yard shot and his season was done. Not a trophy by measuring standards, but a trophy for him anyway.

Smiling after thinking he had missed her because she didn't fall immediately, only to walk about 50 yards into the timber to see her piled up.

Trophy pic with the Walmart $200 700 ADL I found on brickseek a few years ago thanks to the 'fire.
Cheesy,

As you know, it takes a lot of opportunities at deer to get proficient. He's learning nicely.
I posted this previously on a different thread but I tagged out opening day at 7:44 AM, unit 10
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
For the ride back to FL, CWD compliant...
Luckily I was able to tag this buck on the first Saturday of season. Unfortunately my son was not able to fill his tag when he was able to hunt later in the season.

Originally Posted by Blong
Luckily I was able to tag this buck on the first Saturday of season. Unfortunately my son was not able to fill his tag when he was able to hunt later in the season.

Wow, what a BRUTE, Blong!
Great buck Blong. Any other pics? Super heavy ole boy.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I posted this previously on a different thread but I tagged out opening day at 7:44 AM, unit 10

Heck yeah!! That's a dandy. Congrats!
Originally Posted by 30338
Great buck Blong. Any other pics? Super heavy ole boy.

Ditto. That's a mature specimen!
Thanks for the nice comments. This is the only other picture I have of him that is not the same angle.

Great buck, congratulations!
Thanks for posting that. Great deer.
Nice deer as well 257Bob. The property I hunt resides in unit 10 as well.
Blong - that's such a studly looking deer. 5.5 y/o?
I am no expert in aging deer, but that would be my guess as well. I believe he is definitely a "mature" deer that probably did not have a lot of growing left to do.
Lots of good healthy bucks for sure. Congrats KS hunters!😎
First muzzle loader animal.

Originally Posted by Cheesy
I didn't even carry my rifle this season other than 'just in case/back up duty' for my 12 year old.

Opening morning, sitting in a double ladder stand, had a buck move in front of us working to our right. My boy is right handed, not very proficient/experienced in moving around, and by the time the buck was out of the brush and in the clear, it was a hard right and behind shot, exactly what a right hander doesn't want. He missed and was pretty upset about it. 4 different bucks that morning that most any of us likely could have had down easily, plus a handful of does. Learning experience for him.

Went back Saturday morning, only saw some does running around from who knows what way out in some brush and never had a shot opportunity.

Friday after school we went. Got to the field about 4:30 (hour and half drive after school ended) and there were 4 does already in it. They 'slowly' spooked out while we got a pair of chairs set up behind an electric pole on the edge of the field. About 20 minutes later I could hear some hooves hit the oak leaves as they were coming back out to the field. I asked if he wanted to shoot a doe or wait for a buck. Boom. 85 yard shot and his season was done. Not a trophy by measuring standards, but a trophy for him anyway.

Smiling after thinking he had missed her because she didn't fall immediately, only to walk about 50 yards into the timber to see her piled up.

Trophy pic with the Walmart $200 700 ADL I found on brickseek a few years ago thanks to the 'fire.

Good for the young man, Cheesy!
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice mulie, Ed!
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Good for the young man, Cheesy!
👍👍
Originally Posted by EdM

Nice mulie, Ed!

Thanks. Amazing that not 200 yards to my left was a bull elk watching.
[quote=Blong]Luckily I was able to tag this buck on the first Saturday of season. Unfortunately my son was not able to fill his tag when he was able to hunt later in the season.

Great deer! Wow!
Originally Posted by Blong

What a stud! Great deer too😂 seriously that is a beautiful buck!
Not a great pic, I was by myself. Georgia muzzle loader buck

https://i.imgur.com/nd3uXBz.jpg

I didn’t realize this was a Kansas post🤦🏻‍♂️ I thought this was a “let’s see some big deer” post
© 24hourcampfire