Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greenomics
Nobody killing?
My oldest boy has passed up a few bucks looking for one of the bigger 'uns he has on cam' to show.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are some nice lookin bucks you got down there skeen, hope you guys connect..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Nobody killing?
My oldest boy has passed up a few bucks looking for one of the bigger 'uns he has on cam' to show.

👍🏼

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty sure Skane is in KS right now. Not sure if he has a tag. If not he'll probably do some predator control. Pretty sure his pop's has a tag.

In any case, I sure we'll get a recap when he returns and has time. Always a good read.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a few mature bucks running around our place about 4 weeks ago. Kid still has a tag so we're going to go see what we can find here shortly. I kind of like the late rifle season of KS. Gives the bigger bucks a chance to breed in peace besides all the archery guys lol.

IC B2

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This wind has been something, 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That strong south wind doesn’t work for the two blinds I’m wanting to hunt out of so I stayed home today. One of my target bucks showed up on the Tactacam for first time in a couple weeks yesterday at 11 am. Even though the wind was wrong I went to the blind about 1:30 pm yesterday afternoon hoping to give anything I spooked going in time to come back before evening. I saw several does and young bucks but not what I was waiting for. I spent 9 hours in a different blind Wednesday to no avail. A really nice buck that’s been hanging out there all fall set off the Tactacam there at 8:15 am yesterday and again today. I’m going to try that spot again in the morning and shoot him if I get the chance. He’s the 3rd best buck on that farm but I don’t like my chances if I wait for one of the other two or the buck I went after yesterday. I’m really wanting to put a notch in my new Stag 6.8 spc.

Here is the pic from 11 am yesterday, sure wish I’d been in that Redneck blind in the background [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by crc1514; 12/02/22.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoaaa^^^^nice one!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one was Wednesday afternoon a little after 1 pm. Came in with a herd of does. The bigger does stayed in the trees, she and some others were close by in the pasture. No bucks followed them up.

Strange thing is for no bigger than she was her bag was full of milk...in December. My guess is she was bred late last year for the first time and had a fawn late this year.

Still have one more tag to fill. Yesterday morning I stayed out from sunrise until just after noon, deer were hunkered down. Froze my chod off in that cold wind. Didn't go out today but I'll keep after it this weekend and through next week if I have to.

T
TCK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I sat in a blind overlooking a creek edge and a small bean field on 14 different days during the archery season. Saw several bucks at too long a distance and never got a shot opportunity.
Thursday of rifle season I sat in same blind and shot a 10 point less than hour into hunt at 20 yards.
He was operating with a handicap as he had recently lost his left eye and had a pretty good tear in his hide around the eye.
Evens out as I was handicapped with a 6.5 creedmore in a Henry Ranger shooting a Hornady soft point.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good luck men!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Filled my tag this morning. Reports were not overly positive so I wasn't picky.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Good deal!

Looked cold out, low 20's.

I rolled back over and went back to bed. blush

It's hard to get excited about hunting when all you got is doe tags. frown

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by skeen

Good deal!

Looked cold out, low 20's.

I rolled back over and went back to bed. blush

It's hard to get excited about hunting when all you got is doe tags. frown
I think my truck read 17 degrees this morning. Chilly for sure. Buck is hanging and will try to kill some ducks this afternoon.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Congrats!

I'm not there yet, but I'm not seeing anything spectacular (or even god yet) either. I'm normally optimistic throughout the general season due to the later antlerless. the way I see it I've been feeding my back yard does for a couple months now and they owe me. IF they're not going to be the buck magnets I'm raising them to be, then they'll end up in the freezer come JAN.

I was out this am and can verify staying better would have been a better decision.. At least it wasn't gale force winds.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I went ahead and pushed the easy button this morning on the buck I mentioned in my earlier post. I could have killed this buck about anytime I wanted to this fall but kept hoping one of the 2 better bucks I’ve seen there might come back after rut was over. I think this is a 4.5 year old and thought I’d let him grow or let my niece take a crack at him. Well, he came out at 7:40 and gave me a shot too easy to pass up. I’m happy to be done and maybe my niece will get a chance at one of the big ones. Stag Arms varminter in 6.8 spc shooting 115 gr Winchester Deer Season XP. He ran 75 yards after a perfect heart/lung shot from 65 yards. No exit but left good blood trail had I needed it. 19” inside spread with 3 tines over 10”.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crc1514
I went ahead and pushed the easy button this morning on the buck I mentioned in my earlier post. I could have killed this buck about anytime I wanted to this fall but kept hoping one of the 2 better bucks I’ve seen there might come back after rut was over. I think this is a 4.5 year old and thought I’d let him grow or let my niece take a crack at him. Well, he came out at 7:40 and gave me a shot too easy to pass up. I’m happy to be done and maybe my niece will get a chance at one of the big ones. Stag Arms varminter in 6.8 spc shooting 115 gr Winchester Deer Season XP. He ran 75 yards after a perfect heart/lung shot from 65 yards. No exit but left good blood trail had I needed it. 19” inside spread with 3 tines over 10”.

Nice one! Congratulations!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crc1514

Nice buck, crc!

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jake, my oldest Son, and Rocky, my youngest, tagged up on this last day of the season buck.

Jake on the shot and Rocky on the recovery. smile

Truthfully, Jake saw it drop just about 60 yards from the shot, but Rocky loves to get in on recoveries and drags. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.