Home
Would it work??? I noticed my premium bulliet thread gained a lot of attention, I might be daring enough to try it!!! Let’s hear it!!!
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."
I'm not sure why anyone would shoot a .224 bullet at such large game but if you're intent on doing it I'd suggest a 22-243 (or similar) with an 80-90gr bullet. A heavy mono would likely exit IMO. Hammer bullets has an 83gr expanding mono that would certainly be a good choice for maximizing terminal performance in a .224 cartridge.
Yes it can be made to work, and relatively easily if you can shoot.
But even for me-the stunt shooter- Id really prefer something else.
Ive done it...twice...but both animals were previously wounded, the .223 is what I had in my hands at the time ( not hunting elk) and when you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
And it IS legal in a few places, but still not recommended .
My pard kiled a 5 point bull with a well placed shot from his .223 one evening after surgery when he was told not to shoot a recoiling heavy rifle. It worked just fine, but.......
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's always left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that bone and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface wound that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few days in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?
Originally Posted by Filaman

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's alwsays left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that boane and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface would that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few deays in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

I posed that question to a local game warden here because of the ethics involved ( its legal in MT) and the bottom line was F&G doesn't care.
They are only interested in the tag revenue.

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's alwsays left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that boane and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface would that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few deays in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

This thread was started 100% tongue in cheek for entertainment, but I must say I have seen that same nasty surface wound happen with more accepted rounds/bullets. The animals died despite the rodeo and tracking job so hey......all is well because I used a more accepted caliber right? I suspect this thread will get entertaining, like the others. I am excited!

For disclosure, the smallest round I have used on elk was a 6mm Rem with 100 speer BTSP. It wasn't a big elk but it worked perfectly fine.
Originally Posted by ingwe

I posed that question to a local game warden here because of the ethics involved ( its legal in MT) and the bottom line was F&G doesn't care.
They are only interested in the tag revenue.

Maybe so. Montana's allowance of it also made it legal for you to finish off those two incidental cripples that you mentioned I guess. Otherwise you would have had to let them continue to be a cripple due to having your .223 instead of something bigger. That is one way to look at it.
Years ago, my sister-in-law shot a mid sized bull with her 257 Roberts straight into the chest from about 200 yards. We chased this elk for about 3/4 of a mile and she shot it again. The bull took off again but lay down after a run of about 200 yards. She finished it off in its bed. We all agreed that her 257 was not enough gun for the job. My brother traded it off for a 7mm-08 and since then two elk have been taken with much better performance.

I'm sure that this episode should convince anyone reading this that elk are tough animals and deserve to be taken with minimal suffering. If a hunter can pass on long shots and shoot accurately, elk can be taken with common "deer cartridges." But going after elk with a .224 rifle is more of a stunt than anything else.

Sherwood
The smallest I've ever used for elk was a 270 with 150 gr bullets. I shot a lot of elk with it and none went over 50 yds. I pick my shots, use a rest, and have never shot at a running animal.
Up to 99 yards you are good to go. 100.5 yards and it’s a guaranteed fail.
Put me in the "why" camp.
I seem to recall that .25 caliber was smallest centerfire one could use on elk in CO., but that was many years ago. I would never go that route.
Have been in on seven elk kills with a 223, firing the 75 grain Amax at 2750 fps. Yardages were from 30 to 450ish yards. No drama, just dead elk. A good bullet placed into the breathy/bleedy region garners good results.
bullets not headstamps.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

This thread was started 100% tongue in cheek for entertainment.....

You say this cat Judman is trolling, shut yo' mouf.
Not my first choice, but if I bumble into an elk I want to shoot with my swift and its an easy shot I don't think I'd hesitate.

One truth for me; If someone challenged me to hit various targets(say the size of a kill zone) from different positions I would absolutely shoot better with a .224 than a magnum of some variety. Elk are really tough animals but above and beyond anything else, take what you can hit them with.
If you can keep 20 shots within MOA “all day long” a .223 should be fine in a pinch.

If the 17’th shot opens it up to 1.250 MOA, you’d be better off with a .338.
Mikey, where the hell are you at?

We need an official ruling.
Yer bobber is moving a little bit don’t jerk yet, turn the clicker off an let em run a little. smile

Everyone knows you need a magnum for elk…..
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yer bobber is moving a little bit don’t jerk yet, turn the clicker off an let em run a little. smile

Says the guy that blasts em with the Three Deuce MAGNUM…. Sheesh…. Danged hypocrite whistle
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by TheKid

Says the guy that blasts em with the Three Deuce MAGNUM…. Sheesh…. Danged hypocrite whistle

😂😂
Archers kill them with thin sticks and small sharp, light blades so yes, a good 223 bullet will do it, but I for one don't want to do it even to prove it can be done.

In the Slaughter house I worked at when I was a kid they killed cattle with a 22LR sometimes. Big bulls can be as large as American Bison but I can't be convinced that a 22 LR is a good choice for buffalo hunters.

Townson Whelen (and a few others) have killed elephants with 22 LRs and the elephants died, but that is not the point. Yes it can be used to kill an elephant and No, you probably should not do it.

If some some unforeseen reason I felt a need to use a 223 for an elk I would use a 70 grain Barnes TSX just because it's the heaviest expanding bullet I know of that won't break up. And if I shot like I was hunting with a bow and arrow I am sure I can kill a elk with it.

I just don't think I'd find a logical reason to want to use such a small rifle. I don't feel any need to prove it, considering that elephants have been killed with 22LRs. It seems to border on foolish to do it if I have rifles that shoots heavier and larger bullets. And I do..

You may do it and may harvest the elk, but no one who has any ability to reason is going to be impressed. Such a thing is done only by someone trying to impress himself and thinking that becasue he did so others will be impressed.

As always

'Use the right tool for the job'
Apparently target bullets in the .223 work well enough.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
bullets not headstamps.
A rancher I know killed a few with his old .222... Shot them in Aug.. or early Sept. in his fields .. grazing like cattle.. Ear shot.. In season he use a .264..
I am with the group that says why... Why would you even want too.. There are several photos of elk shot with .22's on the site, but I think most were targets of opportunity.. Season was open, elk were there, conditions were right.. Despite the one shot in the boiler room boys, there are numerous posts on here of well hit animals that were hit, in the boiler room, but not found till later.. Conditions were such the animal was lost but recovered later... Some were in good shape some spoiled.. To me animals are to important to shoot with small calibers marginal for the job at best... We are not starving, this is a sport, they should be treated with respect and killed as quickly and cleanly as we can...
OK, one more little argument. Say I've got two cars, a Volkswagen that handles curvers better than most any car and a full house Vette with a 550 HP LS -3 Engine which also handles curves well.. Theres a race schedulede for Saturday so I want to prove the Volkswagen is capable so which car do I race with? Maybe I could do it with the VW but why when I have a 550HP Vette?
Or, you have a 5,000# travel trailer that you pull all the time and a 12,000# trailer you pull maybe once a year.

Do you drive a 1 ton dually daily for that maybe once a year, or drive a SW 3/4 ton which covers you %99.5 of the time?

OK, one more little argument. Say I've got two cars, a Volkswagen that handles curvers better than most any car and a full house Vette with a 550 HP LS -3 Engine which also handles curves well.. Theres a race schedulede for Saturday so I want to prove the Volkswagen is capable so which car do I race with? Maybe I could do it with the VW but why when I have a 550HP Vette?

In typical Fire fashion, the guys doing the most bloviating also have the least experience with the subject at hand.
Billy,

Thanks for showing back up again, and mentioning some reality. But as you've noticed over the years, not many here are interested in reality.
If nothing else, under sporting conditions, I would say it would be a stunt and unethical to hunt such animals in such a manner. As sportsmen, we owe the game swift dispatch and I believe a round which can dependably deliver an appropriate bullet to and through the vitals from any reasonable angle is what is called for in this situation. Assuming one can shoot I generally prefer more gun than less. I have come to prefer the 9.3x62 for this reason as a general purpose round. It never disappoints.
I certainly would not use 22 for bear. 😜
[
🥕🐎
I generally do think its a not good idea...... but anything is possible.
Some might be interested in digging up some of scenarshooters old posts about his use of a 220 Swift for all manners of big game...
Yeah

I have a friend who's dad simply uses a .177 Crossman 760 but he does pump it 22 times for Elk been hunting elk that way for 52 years says that the 2 extra pumps does the trick...

Totally True Story :p

gssixgun,

Thanks for showing back up again, and mentioning some reality. But as you've noticed over the years, not many here are interested in reality.

Originally Posted by gssixgun
Yeah

I have a friend who's dad simply uses a .177 Crossman 760 but he does pump it 22 times for Elk been hunting elk that way for 52 years says that the 2 extra pumps does the trick...

Did you ever see one 'wake up' when taking too much time to cut throat and bleed out?

Originally Posted by szihn

In the Slaughter house I worked at when I was a kid they killed cattle with a 22LR sometimes. Big bulls can be as large as American Bison but I can't be convinced that a 22 LR is a good choice for buffalo hunters.

Your most intelligent post to date!

Originally Posted by DingoDuk
[
Yeah

Obviously a bullsh*t story.

You don't have any friends.
Were you a detective, in pretend life, by chance?

Great job, Columbo!

You do remind me more of McMillan (& wife).

Originally Posted by smokepole
Yeah

No one else is stupid or poor enough....

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
In typical Fire fashion, the guys doing the most bloviating also have the least experience with the subject at hand.
In the hands of an expert!!!

grin

Some paupers cannot afford anything else.

Think prairie_goat.

grin

Originally Posted by Sherwood
But going after elk with a .224 rifle is more of a stunt than anything else.

Sherwood

If you're out of brown shoe polish again, you're fired.

Originally Posted by SLM
Do you have a gofundme?

Have been in on seven elk kills with a 223, firing the 75 grain Amax at 2750 fps. Yardages were from 30 to 450ish yards. No drama, just dead elk. A good bullet placed into the breathy/bleedy region garners good results.

Awwwwww ain't that cute, your feelers are still hurt LOL
Why would you limit yourself and possibly wound an elk. Considering all the time and effort required, use a better caliber. We have an obligation to honor the elk with a quick clean kill and should do everything we can to obtain this. When I was outfitting in Northern Idaho .270 was the smallest we allowed. Thick dense country and hard to find a wounded animal. Just my professional opinion.
Originally Posted by SLM

Also, if you’re shooting through glass, like a windshield or side window, you have to take into account the deflection and reduction in velocity the bullet will sustain.

I always recommend running chrono numbers on glass. But, I’m a purist.

🤪🦫
Through glass?

SLM always rolls the window down, before the shot.

Ethical......

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM

Also, if you’re shooting through glass, like a windshield or side window, you have to take into account the deflection and reduction in velocity the bullet will sustain.

🤪🦫

Satire aside, I have culled a few big red deer hinds and stags with a suppressed .222 single shot and 50 grain soft points. High neck or head shots at under 100 yards in a large high fence area. Not the same thing as the question asked but a meager bullet well aimed will drop most in their tracks.
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Through glass?

Ethical......

Originally Posted by SLM

🤪🦫

SLM, shoots off a horse while holding a hot, blonde prairie vixen in his arms.

Tinman does the same, except it’s a small Latino dude he likes to hold.

LOL

🦫
I wish you would have shared your wisdom much earlier.

Don’t ever clean your windows right before a hard core elk hunt.

Originally Posted by SLM

🤪🦫
And double hearing protection.

Gets louder than a SOB.

Through glass?

Ethical......

Originally Posted by SLM

🤪🦫

Next time the wife goes to buy some pumps I’ll have her pick some up.

The men’s boot store doesn’t cary “gloss brown”.

If you're out of brown shoe polish again, you're fired.

Originally Posted by SLM

During a January late doe season........a .35 Whelen just totally shredded the left side of the shooting window in 'my' ground blind.

Just mentioned, the guy may want to avoid road hunting.......and then got out some Red Green duct tape.

I hate giving un-asked-for advice.

Originally Posted by SLM
And double hearing protection.

Gets louder than a SOB.

Through glass?

Ethical......

Originally Posted by SLM

🤪🦫

Why go clear up to .22? Why not .20 or better yet .17???
Do you miss this, bugger?

Reality, man!

gssixgun,

Yeah

Originally Posted by Bugger

Because I have not seen any partitions or X bullets in .20 or .17 caliber. Ross Seyfried did some testing with the 60 grain .22 partition and got something on the order of 20 inches of penetration. That stands up alongside a .338 partition. The only thing left then is to put the hole in the right place, it's not a question of the bullet not digging deep enough.

I can't think of a .17 bullet that I'd want to use outside of possibly head shots. In .20, hornady made a good 45 grain soft point that dug a bit better than varmint bullets. I have a few boxes left ... would be interested in trying one on a deer under controlled conditions to see how it works.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Because I have not seen any partitions or X bullets in .20 or .17 caliber. Ross Seyfried did some testing with the 60 grain .22 partition and got something on the order of 20 inches of penetration. That stands up alongside a .338 partition. The only thing left then is to put the hole in the right place, it's not a question of the bullet not digging deep enough.

I can't think of a .17 bullet that I'd want to use outside of possibly head shots. In .20, hornady made a good 45 grain soft point that dug a bit better than varmint bullets. I have a few boxes left ... would be interested in trying one on a deer under controlled conditions to see how it works.

Tom

ha ha - using a 22 on elk. What a riot!

Bugger.....you were trying to prove absurdity, by being absurd.

Then you got a serious response.

Surely........when the .22 projectile matched the 'penetration' distance of the 338..........there was a whole lotta heavy bone in the jelly.

Experts crack me up.
Self proclaimed experts with no experience with the mater at hand are even funnier.

Surely........when the .22 projectile matched the 'penetration' distance of the 338..........there was a whole lotta heavy bone in the jelly.

Experts crack me up.
At this point.......what does it mater?

Originally Posted by SLM
Self proclaimed experts with no experience with the mater at hand are even funnier.

Experts crack me up.

You are pretty slow, but I guess typing slow and using crayons paid off.

Mikey’s opinion on anything elk does not matter.

Originally Posted by SLM

Experts crack me up.

And SLM's opinion on shoe polish......DOES MATER!

He did tell me my ankles were raw. He was actually correct, there. Tip earned.

Wake up every day......happy I don't have to sell cookbooks.

Originally Posted by SLM
You are pretty slow, but I guess typing slow and using crayons paid off.

Mikey’s opinion on anything elk does not matter.

Originally Posted by SLM

Experts crack me up.

Mikey, the wife went to get her some new pumps and asked for “gloss brown” and they told her the LGBTQ community was the only group that requested “gloss brown” so they don’t cary it.

I’ll text TinyCOCK to see if he can find you some on his next shopping spree.
Ouch.......that really hurt!

First and only wife?

grin

Originally Posted by SLM
Mikey, the wife went to get her some new pumps and asked for “gloss brown” and they told her the LGBTQ community was the only group that requested “gloss brown” so they don’t cary it.

Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO.

Ted, getting gang raped is always hilarious.

🦫
Gosh, Beav........am I sensing some hostility?

grin

Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO.

🦫

Reality, man!

gssixgun,

Yeah

Oh no I saw it, but I like picking on the one who SmokesPoles.. He is just so easy

Plus you made an erroneous assumption, I never left, I just haven't posted much in this joke of a sub-forum..
This sub-forum has a plethora on self proclaimed experts, that simply talk in circles trying to prove their stupidity correct... I realized pretty quick that there were too few in here that had any real knowledge that I could use

Much like this thread, there are literally people seriously discussing the feasibility of using Rat shooters to hunt elk.. I enjoyed joking about it myself

Smokepole WAS a rampant Mule Deer and Burns fanboy.......til he and Burns had a falling out.

Burns likely ignored that .243 thread, when it read "under 300 yards".........with his nose in the air.

John is always interested in selling cookbooks..........and Smokepole is still with him. Loyalty Trump would admire.

Just an FYI!

Reality, man!

gssixgun,

Yeah

Oh no I saw it, but I like picking on the one who SmokesPoles.. He is just so easy

Plus you made an erroneous assumption, I never left, I just haven't posted much in this joke of a sub-forum..
This sub-forum has a plethora on self proclaimed experts, that simply talk in circles trying to prove their stupidity correct... I realized pretty quick that there were too few in here that had any real knowledge that I could use

Much like this thread, there are literally people seriously discussing the feasibility of using Rat shooters to hunt elk.. I enjoyed joking about it myself

Originally Posted by SLM

I have a lifetime supply, and then some. How much is needed?

I care.
This guy......cares.
Originally Posted by SLM

LMAO.

🦫

Is it rape if you don't resist?
Ever been to Browning, MT? Them wimminz be large and scary.
You are the best this site has to offer!

Helping the 'lil guy out.

I care.
This guy......cares.
Originally Posted by haverluk
Satire aside, I have culled a few big red deer hinds and stags with a suppressed .222 single shot and 50 grain soft points. High neck or head shots at under 100 yards in a large high fence area. Not the same thing as the question asked but a meager bullet well aimed will drop most in their tracks.

I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, but I did kill a free range red deer hind in NZ with a supressed .22 LR and no name cheap ammo. I was rabbit hunting and just happened upon it. One broadside shot, a 50-60 yard death run and a dead critter. No drama other than a very sparse blood trail through the brush.

A bird in the hand and all that......
Ever shot any Cane Rats with a .22LR?

grin

I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, but I did kill a free range red deer hind in NZ with a supressed .22 LR and no name cheap ammo. I was rabbit hunting and just happened upon it. One broadside shot, a 50-60 yard death run and a dead critter. No drama other than a very sparse blood trail through the brush.

A bird in the hand and all that......
Apparently Mikey likes his penny loafers shined on a regular bases, so I’m assuming a lot.

I guess it’s an Iowa thing.

Originally Posted by SLM

I care.
This guy......cares.
Yes,

She’s laughing at you too.

Ouch.......that really hurt!

First and only wife?
Uh oh...........something has just dawned on SLM!

Regular bases is so much better than basis.

Originally Posted by SLM
Apparently Mikey likes his penny loafers shined on a regular bases, so I’m assuming a lot.

I’m a little slow, didn’t figure Iowa had a vain LGBTQ community.

Learn something new every day.

Originally Posted by SLM

You're like the Grady Seasons of elk hunting........is he still walking?

TFF

LOL

Originally Posted by SLM
I’m a little slow, didn’t figure Iowa had a vain LGBTQ community.

Learn something new every day.

Originally Posted by SLM

Who the hell is Grady Seasons?
Don't tip your hand, expert!

You'll be humping your hand for a long time.

Originally Posted by SLM
Who the hell is Grady Seasons?
Still hope there are no challenges from these apparently upset experts.

I 'd be in real trouble!
Smokepole WAS a rampant Mule Deer and Burns fanboy.......til he and Burns had a falling out.

Burns likely ignored that .243 thread, when it read "under 300 yards".........with his nose in the air.

John is always interested in selling cookbooks..........and Smokepole is still with him. Loyalty Trump would admire.

Just an FYI!

Reality, man!

gssixgun,

Yeah

LOL, MIKEWERNER and sisgun. There hasn't been a duo this dynamic since Batman and Robin got behind one another.
Is it low-hanging fruit Wednesday, already?

What ever did happen between you and Burns?

You 3 were always so cute together.........back in the Berger bullet debates.

You guys had the facts and reality down.....

Just an FYI!

Reality, man!

gssixgun,

Yeah

LOL, MIKEWERNER and sisgun. There hasn't been a duo this dynamic since Batman and Robin got behind one another.

Mike, they say you can tell a lot about a man by who he chooses to associate with.

You and sixgums make quite the pear.

I'll stick with MD and Pat, we'll all be happy.
That reminds me......still gotta cut down a dead pear tree. Have a pair of chainsaws.

Mike, they say you can tell a lot about a man by who he chooses to associate with.

You and sixgums make quite the pear.

Any more creep-out posts like this and I am leaving the Elk Forum.

Oh.....OK. You three are cute together too.

Is that a promise? If so, I'll repeat myself.

But first go back and read my post again, and try not to put your own twisted spin on it. I'd happily associate with either one of those guys. I'm not sure what that means to you but whatever turns you on. And they know more about guns, shooting, and killing elk than most any other two guys you could name on here.

You and sixgums on the other hand blow more hot air than any half dozen guys you could name on here.

You two were made for each other. And you're doing great.
Your posts sometimes come across as a little gay.

Maybe have a book publisher review your posts.

Is that a promise? If so, I'll repeat myself.

But first go back and read my post again, and try not to put your own twisted spin on it. I'd happily associate with either one of those guys. I'm not sure what that means to you but whatever turns you on. And they know more about guns, shooting, and killing elk than most any other two guys you could name on here.

You and sixgums on the other hand blow more hot air than any half dozen guys you could name on here.

You two were made for each other.

Coming from you that's not surprising Mikey.

They say that most people tend to go with what they know best, looks like you're no exception. Even though you are very "exceptional" as they say.
I really do have to cut some trees down. May not post much today.

These are the times when I'd rather be selling cookbooks.

Release the ankle-biting hounds!

Coming from you that's not surprising Mikey.

They say that most people tend to go with what they know best, looks like you're no exception. Even though you are very "exceptional" as they say.
I really do have to cut some trees down. May not post much today.

These are the times when I'd rather be selling cookbooks.

Release the ankle-biting hounds!

Mikey, don't flatter yourself. You have to stand tall before you can have ankle-biters, so you don't have any.

But I have to admit, it is comedy genius to see you use the term "ankle-biter" in the same post you attempt to denigrate MD.

You two were made for each other. And you're doing great.

Awwww Ain't you precious

I said it before and I'll say it again, 31795 posts and I bet few are there to actually inform anyone of anything..

The idea of you saying anyone else blows hot air is laughable at best, pathetic might be more accurate

ps: You picked the Screen name with the double entendre connotation, you must have had a reason sweetie ...
TFF sixgums. I used "smokepole" for years on another outdoor site before I signed on here. I had no idea about the double meaning, and no one there ever commented on it. I guess they weren't familuar with the lingo like you are.

But I guess it's all you've got, so you go girl.

And I did get a chuckle out of "I've said it before and I'll say it again."

No sh*t, Sherlock.
Looks like smokepole will soon be seeking victim status.......just like Hunter Biden.

TFF sixgums. I used "smokepole" for years on another outdoor site before I signed on here. I had no idea about the double meaning, and no one there ever commented on it. I guess they weren't familuar with the lingo like you are.

But I guess it's all you've got, so you go girl.

And I did get a chuckle out of "I've said it before and I'll say it again."

No sh*t, Sherlock.
LOL, hardly Mike. It doesn't bother me when guys like you and sixgums show your proclivities.

I think everyone else pretty much knows what a smokepole is.
The authorities on the matter, around here, are just kinda trolling.

The stupider the stunt.......the more impressive, they think.

Problem is.......newbies are watching and actually buying into the stupidity.

LOL, hardly Mike. It doesn't bother me when guys like you and sixgums show your proclivities.

I think everyone else pretty much knows what a smokepole is.

Awww Sweetie don't get upset, You're from Boulder ain't ya,

When you actually post something about shooting/hunting I might stop picking on ya, until then you are fair game and season is open

Remember you started this over the old 1500 ft/lb at range adage, that upset you so bad that you decided to be a "Forum Douche" even though we all know that formula actually works, it just tossed you into a tizzy
Settle down honey, before you work yourself into a real episode

Remember you started this over the old 1500 ft/lb at range adage, that upset you so bad that you decided to be a "Forum Douche" even though we all know that formula actually works.....

LOL, where'd you read that "formula?" Was it Outdoor Life, or Field & Stream?

I've killed plenty of elk with less than 1500 ft-lbs; you get your information from a magazine or a book and tout it as gospel. That's the definition of "forum douche."

In the past I've posted plenty about hunting/shooting, but haven't lately. At least not in the last year since you signed up, so many forum douches like you it's hardly worth the time.

But as long as you're running your yap, where's all your posts about your hunts?
You know it’s getting serious when energy numbers start getting thrown around.

Is 1500# for a rosie, or for the superior rockies?
Thinkin it's more like for Ken's big bore Jack rabbits !

Remember you started this over the old 1500 ft/lb at range adage, that upset you so bad that you decided to be a "Forum Douche" even though we all know that formula actually works.....

I've killed plenty of elk with less than 1500 ft-lbs; you get your information from a magazine or a book and tout it as gospel. That's the definition of "forum douche."

Well aren't you just precious... Bragging all about your tiny little gun and how Powerful it shoots

Bless your heart
Come on, Sixgun. Let them have their fun and jollies! LMAO

Well aren't you just precious... Bragging all about your tiny little gun and how Powerful it shoots

Bless your heart

LOL, you can't read sign very well. You're talking to a guy who goes by "smokepole" and can't figure out I'm talking about a .50 caliber muzzleloader.

I remember the last time you tossed out the magical 1500 number, I asked what it was based on.

You couldn't answer the question then, and you can't now.
I love a good retard fight.
You all know who you are, but that won't stop folks from "agreeing" with me, convinced that the "other" guy is who I am referring to.

These elk threads keep me motivated.

Bless your heart

LOL, you can't read sign very well. You're talking to a guy who goes by "smokepole" and can't figure out I'm talking about a .50 caliber muzzleloader.

I remember the last time you tossed out the magical 1500 number, I asked what it was based on.

You couldn't answer the question then, and you can't now.

Oh honey you just can't let it go can you,,, You just don't see the logic behind it you are so blinded by your own ego

Here sweetie relax and listen to the song of your people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
ps: You can thank me later for your increase in post count

It seems that this type of discussion is all you are capable of :p
It'd be nice if you were capable too, then it would be a real discussion.
You all know who you are, but that won't stop folks from "agreeing" with me, convinced that the "other" guy is who I am referring to.

I agree with you, those other guys are retarts. All that's missing are ballistics tables........

I agree with you, those other guys are retarts. All that's missing are ballistics tables........

Now that is funny, I mean seriously can you make yourself look any dumb and dumber

But hey you got another two posts to give you a higher useless count, Look at SmokesPole he has a high post count he think he is "Experienced"
What is it with you and "post count?"

Is that all you've got to piss and moan about?

"I said it before and I'll say it again."

And again, and again.....
NM long ears require 1,625# at minimum.

Besides, he’s a masochist.

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Thinkin it's more like for Ken's big bore Jack rabbits !

There be an elk right on the ridge where the cloud intersects. 2.75" is enough gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This one is enough for innanet azzholes.

Killed and cooked.

I like it.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There be an elk right on the ridge where the cloud intersects. 2.75" is enough gun.

I think you are on to something BD.

The sneezer might be a bit less messy though.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
This one is enough for innanet azzholes.

I will agree that I am a retard!
What is it with you and "post count?"

Is that all you've got to piss and moan about?

"I said it before and I'll say it again."

And again, and again.....

What is it with you and 1500 ft/lbs

Does it hurt your coal burner feelers, does it just set your teeth on edge that it actually is a good standard..
No one ever claimed it to be absolute except you in your ignorance, but to deny it is a good target is just you showing your bruised ego ...

Go ahead 31806 and scream some more

What is it with me and 1500 ft-lbs?

Not a thing. I don't believe I ever brought that up, in the past or in this thread.

But you seem to be stuck on it, what's up with that?

What is it with me and 1500 ft-lbs? Not a thing. I don't believe I ever brought that up, in the past or in this thread.

But you seem to be stuck on it, what's up with that?

When all else fails,,, Deny

come on 31807 is just about there
Ain't no "denying" about it chief, just stating the facts.

If you think I brought up 1500 ft-lbs, it should be really easy to go back, find where I brought it up, and prove it.

I'll be waiting.
smokepole........turn the pompoms in at Goodwill. A young girl could use them.

If you think I brought up 1500 ft-lbs, it should be really easy to go back, find where I brought it up, and prove it.

I'll be waiting.
I'll turn in my pom poms if you turn in your tampons.

Deal?

I'll be waiting.

What a child, I can't believe you are actually still being baited like this,, come on man go for 31809
I don't think I have ever managed to hook a fish like you so hard except on Facebook

Admit it,, you spent your youth on Pearl St in Boulder.... LMFAO

Me 2...I’m stoked and ready to bust out the magnums. Might even dump all my 300 mag cartridges on the bed and roll on them.

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫
Beav’, don’t be talking about hard shiny objects on a bed around Tiny’.

Was it you that posted a video of slingshotting an elk?

Me 2...I’m stoked and ready to bust out the magnums. Might even dump all my 300 mag cartridges on the bed and roll on them.

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫

I don't blame you beav, those "Big 300s" are just so sexy. I like to read the ballistics tables while I admire my big 300s.

And the .338's/375s? Get outta hear!

But I do have a question. Deer season is coming up, and I need to know the proper foot-lbs for deer hunting.

You never read about the proper ft-lbs for deer, why is that? Are deer just not as mythical as elk?

But I do have a question. Deer season is coming up, and I need to know the proper foot-lbs for deer hunting.

You never read about the proper ft-lbs for deer, why is that? Are deer just not as mythical as elk?

Wellllllll You say yer from Colorado,,, which I am now doubting you could even be a hunter in my home state..
Were you older when you started hunting ??? you didn't have to take the Colorado Hunter Safety Course I had to when I started hunting there..

I would understand your stupidity if you just recently started hunting in CO, but you should really read your Hunting Regs for the state you are hunting in..

1000 ft/lbs at 100 yards for all Big Game in Colorado they also break down the suggestions if you read farther for longer range shots and the differences between the animals you are hunting ... You have Caliber regs. there too which make this thread as irrelevant as it should be

Come on Sweetie you can get at least a few more posts outta this 31810 and anxiously awaiting your next post Bahahahaha
Hey do I get a cool name at 100 posts
Does it change from "Member" to something like "Campfire Cool Guy"
How many posts do I need to get to "Oracle" do I need substantive posts or can I get there just posting anything
I still have my little Orange Hunter Safety Card from way way back, did you know that it is highly respected to have one from CO in many states I guess it is one of the best courses offered..

Pretty cool really, you should go get yours Smokes Pole..
It is amazing that this nonsense is still going on..
I still have my little Orange Hunter Safety Card from way way back, did you know that it is highly respected to have one from CO in many states I guess it is one of the best courses offered..

LOL, nice try sixgums, you're doing great, keep it up.

I've been an instructor for the course for about 15 years now, I guess that means I'm even more highly-respected than card holders, who knew? I've taught over 1,000 students and helped them get their card. CPW calls it "Hunter Educattion," by the way, not "Hunter Safety."

So yes, I am familiar with those regulations, and we go over those in class because it's the law here and students need to know that. But then again we're not talking about state regs here, are we?

My question to you was, what are the energy numbers based on? if you ask anyone in CPW what the magical 1,000 ft-lbs is based on, they'll have the same answer you do, which is, "I can't tell you." It's an arbitrary round number with no systematically-derived data to back it up, only anecdotes. And there are plenty of anecdotes on the other side from people who have killed deer with less than a .243, without a problem.

But if you want to talk state regs, let's talk about Wyoming or Montana or your home state of Idaho, where you can use a caliber less than .243. What does that tell you? Are the agencies there totally ignorant? If so, you really need to get off the internet and get the law changed in your state.

Or better yet, go on the deer hunting forum and ask if anyone has killed multiple deer with a .223. You'll get a lot of answers from guys who have actually done it, unlike you.

LOL, nice try sixgums, you're doing great, keep it up.

I've been an instructor for the course for about 15 years now,

God I am glad I left that state, 20 years ago, We could see the infiltration of the uneducated

quote=smokepole] CPW calls it "Hunter Educattion," by the way, not "Hunter Safety."

[/quote]

PS

Education doesn't have 2 T's but that was about the best irony there is

Uneducated only has one T also

. And there are plenty of anecdotes on the other side from people who have killed deer with less than a .243, without a problem.

You do realize that you are simply under-gunned for a ballistics convo right??

You keep ignoring the simple words "AT RANGE" a .243 which you are stammering on about, carries sufficient energy out past 400 yards using the right bullets

The adage works, if you are smart enough to use it correctly, I realize I bruised your "Oracle" ego but really you should probably STFU and go read some Ballistics tables so you don't look so stupid

ps: If you are used to poking holes with a little gun, I guess you are bound to try and defend it

Come On Smokes Poles get a couple more posts in oh great "Oracle",, how many do you need for your next Badge
Hilarious. Ballistics tables and ft-lbs never killed a damn thing. Po3kung a big enough hole in the vitals is all it takes.

What's next? Why don't you expound on hydrostatic shock, that should be a hoot and good for another 20 pages.
Hilarious. Ballistics tables and ft-lbs never killed a damn thing. Po3kung a big enough hole in the vitals is all it takes.

What's next? Why don't you expound on hydrostatic shock, that should be a hoot and good for another 20 pages.

It is getting harder to take you seriously, you might as well start with yer Mother's Uncle's Brother's Cousin kilt him a Bull Elk with his 22 Pistol so therefore it is good to go..

I would tell you to get an education, but hell you can't even spell it

Awaiting 31812 from the "Oracle", I am beginning to think you believe in that badge Bahahahahaha..

ps: I am also beginning to doubt you have done any sort of instruction, other than a Tie-Dye class at the Pearl Mall in Boulder
You do realize if you actually gave solid advice you wouldn't have to tell people about your alleged bone fides, it would be apparent..

You just don't come across as an experienced Hunter or specifically a Shooter to me

I agree with you in loving a good retard fight.

And nothing brings them out like even mentioning using a rifle/cartridge combo that they consider too small for the job....
ingwe
Campfire Oracle

Damn Smokingpoles

He has way more post toasties than you do,,, is he a bigger "Oracle" then you are ???

He got there faster too

To your combined Oracleness's of 100000+ Post Toastee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7FOTBdbPN8

Wooooohoooooo 90 Postee

Can't wait to see what happens at 100 maybe I get Ordained by the highest "Oracleness's"

Can we just go all Tolkien and call you Orc's muhahahaha
Used to believe the gun counter drivel until I saw proof and had the revelation. Seen too many boiler rooms deconstructed by vastly different diameters and velocities of modern cartridges. Someone here is a total douche, but it isn't the old guy that recently hunted in the tumdra.
Elk threads are always good watching.

Definitely raises the estrogen level in some.
Originally Posted by SLM

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫

Disco balls, laser pointers, and whip cream are all staples at Tiny’s slave cave.

Didn’t post an elk slaying with a slingshot video, but, I did find this.

🦫
Wasn’t very clear.

It was a video of a retrieval of a cow that got catapulted. Pretty sure it was one of you PNW mafia members.

Been trying to find the video to show a friend.

And yes, you have Tiny figured out, but we won’t judge….Much.

Originally Posted by SLM

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫

Disco balls, laser pointers, and whip cream are all staples at Tiny’s slave cave.

🦫

SLM,
I can’t get the damn video to upload from YouTube.

Go to YouTube...type in “pulling out an elk” should be the first video made by Chapman.

Freddy3 made the video to show the fastest way to get an elk out of a canyon and to a truck, tenderized.

Enjoy !

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM
Wasn’t very clear.

It was a video of a retrieval of a cow that got catapulted. Pretty sure it was one of you PNW mafia members.

It’s was a spike bull in the video. It was Fredii’s brother that posted it to YouTube and it’s still there. Frediii’s talking in it.

True gem of PNW redneck action!!!
Originally Posted by SLM
Wasn’t very clear.

Been trying to find the video to show a friend.

And yes, you have Tiny figured out, but we won’t judge….Much.

Originally Posted by SLM

Stoked, I tell ya...

😬🦫

🦫

You f♧cks have no clue.

What toys I keep in my basement, that is. I am resourceful and adaptive. Kinky too.

Suck it.
Yes. Quite doable, maybe with even a .17, but not smart.
Has anyone else here other than Scenar Shooter, Ingwe, and myself actually used a 22 caliber on elk, or is everyone else just guessing? Funny that we ended up with dead elk, but I suppose the 24hourcampfire braintrust knows better than actual results.
Just goes to show what an actual joke this sub-forum is

Supposed "Experts" seriously talking about how little their shooters are..
Total disgrace...
When the three listed above and a few others speak, you should probably pay attention.

Or keep overcompensating.

Total disgrace...

You've got the biggest pompoms......and the juiciest lips ever.

Originally Posted by SLM
When the three listed above and a few others speak, you should probably pay attention.

Total disgrace...

Can we just cut to the chase and start going with the fish and slut pictures please?
Why waste anymore time?
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Seriously ??? Listen to three idiots promote 224 Caliber Elk Hunting, ??? What a crock of crap

How did this sub-forum become so twisted, a bunch of braggarts promoting Rat Shooters. pathetic unethical POS
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Seriously ??? Listen to three idiots promote 224 Caliber Elk Hunting, ??? What a crock of crap

How did this sub-forum become so twisted, a bunch of braggarts promoting Rat Shooters. pathetic unethical POS

Who was "promoting" it?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Who was "promoting" it?

I shared that same thought.
I think one could loosely interpret Prairie_Goat's first few posts here (maybe) to promote the use of .22 CF, but I can't see how those other two's posts could be interpreted that way, at all.

Maybe I am missing or misreading something, but doubt it.
You’re a little slow I see.

Where did any of the 3 “promote”.

Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Might want to read this again capgun.

Ive done it...twice...but both animals were previously wounded, the .223 is what I had in my hands at the time ( not hunting elk) and when you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
My pard kiled a 5 point bull with a well placed shot from his .223 one evening after surgery when he was told not to shoot a recoiling heavy rifle. It worked just fine, but.......
Finish your knitting class early?

You've got the biggest pompoms......and the juiciest lips ever.

Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Can we just cut to the chase and start going with the fish and slut pictures please?
Why waste anymore time?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Originally Posted by Judman
Would it work??? I noticed my premium bulliet thread gained a lot of attention, I might be daring enough to try it!!! Let’s hear it!!!

You Instigating SOB 😂.
Originally Posted by rosco1

You Instigating SOB 😂.

Originally Posted by SLM

Not talking about the OP

I am talking about the "Experts" that are literally promoting it, pathetic POS

Oh and YOU that is defending them.

It is pretty obvious that a very few of you on here have pulled your logs around the fire and decided that you are going to steer the convos how you want
It is also quite obvious that you don't have much real experience with ballistics because everyone of you has run to name calling and bashing to prove your "Superiority"

You 4-5 have also tried to change what I have been saying because for some odd reason you just don't want any K/E talk around your little campfire

Your defense of small rounds doesn't negate K/E it just qualifies it, but you "Experts" hate that for some reason, that shows me you either don't want to hear it or you don't understand it

I’ll give you a little bit to try and catch up.

Might want to start by reading it all again, real slow.

If you need help, maybe have someone read it to you.
Originally Posted by SLM

TFF! laugh
Has anyone else here other than Scenar Shooter, Ingwe, and myself actually used a 22 caliber on elk, or is everyone else just guessing? Funny that we ended up with dead elk, but I suppose the 24hourcampfire braintrust knows better than actual results.

Odd how those who have never done it know how well, or badly, it works...
Originally Posted by SLM
You’re a little slow I see.

Where did any of the 3 “promote”.

Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

More TFF! laugh
Originally Posted by SLM

Keep defending stupidity it suits you, it shows too you "Experts" once again turned another thread into a CF

You must be soooooo Proud

ps:: This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ See the "Expert" promoting it

Not impressed, just a little gun braggart
Again, have some one read it out loud for you.

I don’t have enough time or crayons to help you.

HE IS NOT PROMOTING ANYTHING…..

Originally Posted by SLM

Not talking about the OP

It is pretty obvious that a very few of you on here have pulled your logs around the fire and decided that you are going to steer the convos how you want
It is also quite obvious that you don't have much real experience with ballistics because everyone of you has run to name calling and bashing to prove your "Superiority"

You 4-5 have also tried to change what I have been saying because for some odd reason you just don't want any K/E talk around your little campfire

Your defense of small rounds doesn't negate K/E it just qualifies it, but you "Experts" hate that for some reason, that shows me you either don't want to hear it or you don't understand it

What is your reasoning for pushing KE so much? Do you feel bullet construction plays a part?

Are you saying that Ingwe is the OP? By OP you're referring to the original post(er) correct?

Honestly, without reading too deeply into this thread and only the last several posts, the only one name calling is you.
Originally Posted by SLM

Not talking about the OP

What is your reasoning for pushing KE so much? Do you feel bullet construction plays a part?

Are you saying that Ingwe is the OP? By OP you're referring to the original post(er) correct?

Honestly, without reading too deeply into this thread and only the last several posts, the only one name calling is you.

Did you learn that circle reasoning while watching CNN or the DNC ???

Just deny what you don't want to hear

Freaking amateurs, this sub-forum is full of you all, and the others have been bullied into silence..

I am hanging around now just to toss grenades into your BS, nothing to learn here as I had hoped for, just about 4-5 Forum "Orcs" that bully their little domain

PS I pushed nothing

I simply answered that a good STARTING point was to use the old adage of 1500 ft/lbs at RANGE and go from there

For that one sentence you little boys have relentlessly attacked

So FU,,,, I am now going to just keep tossing it out there,,, Don't like it don't believe it I don't care, it still works EVEN for this stupid thread, but ballistics are just beyond you guys so you keep arguing..

I can do that all day long
The adage has been taken up and down over the years as things progressed

1200 - 1500 - 2000

You can adjust that for yourself and the bullets you are using, we have way better bullet construction now and Cartridges the stretch the envelope..
Regardless it is still a good STARTING point, and the fact that you few, you proud, the "Orcs" of this sub-forum deny it shows just how bad this little fiefdom has become

Deal with it, I am here to play now
Damn over 20 posts in this stupid thread for me

I am going to catch you all soon
Keep at it capgun, you’ll have everyone straightened out in no time.
Found it.

Still cracks me up.

Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by SLM
Wasn’t very clear.

It’s was a spike bull in the video. It was Fredii’s brother that posted it to YouTube and it’s still there. Frediii’s talking in it.

True gem of PNW redneck action!!!
Hot basterd down there elks’?

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes, it's 106* here.

How about up there?
It is 97 at my step daughters near Rifle..
Dang WCH!
Just checked the temp and it is now 108*!

90 deg. Rain this morning here. Rio7
Hotter n a 10 peckered billy goat here.
Hotter n a 10 peckered billy goat here.

Now that's hot! wink
101*, but then it clouded up and cooled off.

Yes, it's 106* here.

How about up there?
Clouding up here also, have a 20% chance of rain now.
We can’t buy a rain.
It was 95 just before supper.. Yesterday before supper we had a real rain at my step daughters, b ut 15 miles east not a drop...
Originally Posted by SLM
We can’t buy a rain.

I can do a rain dance. wink
Originally Posted by SLM
We can’t buy a rain.

Hope you wear a loin cloth at a minimum!!
As long as I don’t have to watch.

Originally Posted by SLM
We can’t buy a rain.

Originally Posted by SLM
We can’t buy a rain.

Hope you wear a loin cloth at a minimum!!

Bleach meet my eyes.

LOL

🦫
I'm going to wear Daisy Dukes and dance topless. Then I'll video it and PM you jokers the youtube video. smile
Get us a couple gallons of the industrial sh it.

I'm going to wear Daisy Dukes and dance topless. Then I'll video it and PM you jokers the youtube video. smile

Bleach meet my eyes.

LOL

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM
Get us a couple gallons of the industrial sh it.

Bleach meet my eyes.

LOL

🦫

Bro, I’m moving towards drinking the bleach...elkhnm in Daisy Dukes and topless could only be Tiny’s fantasy.

🦫
Tiny will blow a wad for sure.

Save some for me.
Bleach that is.
Buncha chickens that's for sure. wink
I prefer to use the term wise.

Where the hell did capgun go?

Originally Posted by SLM

I don't know nor care, but his response (or lack thereof) to my last question(s) is a textbook example of irony.

Still don't see any "promotion".

Do you have a copy of Websters dictionary handy?

If no and since you are on the www then a trip to Google may help.
More pompoms and greased lips.

Smokepole should be worried, very worried. He got company, vying for top spot.

TFF

Originally Posted by SLM
Keep at it capgun, you’ll have everyone straightened out in no time.

Originally Posted by SLM

I don't know nor care, but his response (or lack thereof) to my last question(s) is a textbook example of irony.

Sure ya do, it bugs ya and I can tell..

You have found a person with way more knowledge and experience and it upsets your little fiefdoms here.

Trust me I will be in this Sub-Forum to kick over a Hornets Nest quite often.. Just keep whipping out those wee shooters and promoting that BS

Now go back to lying to each other about your vast experience, I heard fishermen tell less Tall Tales
Maybe you and Mikey could collaborate, between the 2 of you, you could probably come up with an IQ of 65 points.

Your first study group could be learning the definition of promote/promoting.

We’ll give you til tomorrow to memorize the definition and use it in a sentence correctly.

Good luck. (God knows you’ll need it)

Originally Posted by SLM

Save some for me.

I’ll check if I have a bucket big enough to catch some.

Originally Posted by SLM
Bleach that is.

Oh, thank god, you meant bleach.

LMAO

😂🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Really, how about you post some game killed photos ?

You know, just so we know "how legitimate", you actually are !

Betting my wife's put more head of game animals in the freezer, than you have.

Still don't see any "promotion".

Do you have a copy of Websters dictionary handy?

If no and since you are on the www then a trip to Google may help.

Oooooooo What a blistering retort, I mean seriously how long did you have to think about that before you posted it..
Did ya strain you peewee brain on it ??

The Brain Trust of The Elk Hunting Forum at work LMFAO
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Oooooo another "Oracle" has spoken words of wisdom, come on seriously, your Canadian you guys can't even own guns can you ???

Honestly I have plenty of Canadian friends, and I love them dearly, but when it comes to "Gun Talk" I simply don't have the kind of patience to teach it to ya ... Just can't take any gun advice from people that gave up their gun rights seriously...
Going to take a big bucket.

I had nightmares all night of Ken dancing around topless in his daisy dukes.

Don’t ever plant mental images that late again elks’.

Originally Posted by SLM

Save some for me.

I’ll check if I have a bucket big enough to catch some.

Originally Posted by SLM
Bleach that is.

Oh, thank god, you meant bleach.

LMAO

😂🦫
Posted By: Muffin Dead Horse Thread II - 06/21/21
Mrs. Pablo’ is a killer.

Waiting for the weekly installment of jealousy pics.

Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Posted By: gssixgun Re: Dead Horse Thread II - 06/21/21
Damn over 30 posts in this one stupid thread

I am so on my way to "Oracleship" Thanks Guys
Sure, we can.

Just not the "scary" ones.

grin

Seriously, why don't/won't you hang some photos of you & your game ?

Be nice to see.

Unless you're the standard, retarded, keyboard commando, or perhaps, even a trolling sock puppet !

Been called, ante up, or STFU !
Sure, we can.

grin

Be nice to see.

Unless you're the standard, retarded, keyboard commando, or perhaps, even a trolling sock puppet !

Been called, ante up !

Dear Paul,

I don't rise to the baiting, as you did Fish
I have noticed that you haven't joined into the Ballistics convo which obviously as a Canadian is above your head do you know what .224 even is ???
Paul knows, but I am beginning to wonder the same thing...
Sure, we can.

grin

Be nice to see.

Let me write your next post for you

"Just as I thought No Pics"
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Paul knows, but I am beginning to wonder the same thing...

Come on man Respect your "Oracle" you are only a 'Bwana
Let him answer himself don't help him out he jumped into a ballistics fight with both feet into the deep end.. Don't toss him a Floatie

edit: A ballistics fight that started as a damn joke, but has been turned into a CF by the supposed "experts" in this sub-forum
Who is the supreme originator of all this guff and who is/are the sock puppets? Asking for a friend….
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Who was "promoting" it?

I think one could loosely interpret Prairie_Goat's first few posts here (maybe) to promote the use of .22 CF, but I can't see how those other two's posts could be interpreted that way, at all.

I was just relating my experience. Are there better options? Probably. But "better" isn't always the preferred option. It's sort of like using a traditional bow or 1990s compound compared to a fancy new compound during archery season, or open sighted lever gun chambered for an old/slow rimmed round compared to a scoped bolt gun firing high bc bullets. They all work fine when directed correctly, within their limits, and sometimes a guy just prefers to hunt with something different.

One excellent reason to use a suppressed 223 - it results in minimal herd disruption compared to even a larger case capacity suppressed rifle. Pop an elk out of the herd and watch the rest of the bunch mosey up over the hill. Recover your quarry in an expeditious manner, and the survivors may be right back in there the next day. As opposed to laying into them with a 300 Loudenboomer, and sending the herd into the next township to be shot by other hunters. Of course, things may play out just fine with a "normal" setup, but a quiet rifle sure seems to help.
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Put me in the "why" camp.

ditto
Originally Posted by SLM

Total disgrace...

Who was "promoting" it?

I was just relating my experience. Are there better options? Probably. But "better" isn't always the preferred option. It's sort of like using a traditional bow or 1990s compound compared to a fancy new compound during archery season, or open sighted lever gun chambered for an old/slow rimmed round compared to a scoped bolt gun firing high bc bullets. They all work fine when directed correctly, within their limits, and sometimes a guy just prefers to hunt with something different.

One excellent reason to use a suppressed 223 - it results in minimal herd disruption compared to even a larger case capacity suppressed rifle. Pop an elk out of the herd and watch the rest of the bunch mosey up over the hill. Recover your quarry in an expeditious manner, and the survivors may be right back in there the next day. As opposed to laying into them with a 300 Loudenboomer, and sending the herd into the next township to be shot by other hunters. Of course, things may play out just fine with a "normal" setup, but a quiet rifle sure seems to help.

Great post. I've never attempted to kill a big game animal with a .223 and most likely never will, but as someone interested in what works and what doesn't, it's valuable information nonetheless. I have killed elk with big slow bullets that yield much less than the magical 1500 ft-lbs at the POI. Real world experience with the .223 is the other bookend that shows the fallacy of trusting numbers in a table rather than results on the ground.

Much more valuable that some hackneyed old "adage" that someone pulled out their arse back when Core Lokts were state of the art.

I'm still waiting for a dissertation from the keyboard cowboy on hydrostatic shock. That would be good for a few more pages.

Originally Posted by JDinCO
Someone here is a total douche, but it isn't the old guy that recently hunted in the tumdra.

Ingwe hunted the tundra??
Sure, we can.

grin

Be nice to see.

DFTT wink
Someone here is a total douche, but it isn't the old guy that recently hunted in the tumdra.

No that is a Toyota, we drive them, not hunt them, he hunted the Tumdra, don't you know anything ???

You wanna talk Hydrostatic shock, go for it, I personally am not a huge believer in it, and I am not at your beck and call to write a dissertation nor anything else.

But please feel free if you want, I will grade it for you after, and correct the mistakes that I am sure you will interject as truths.

FWIW I HAVE hunted the tundra.

But I did it with a great big old .300 H&H so we don't talk about it in threads like this...Though it WAS the smallest gun in camp....
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Sure, we can.

grin

Be nice to see.

DFTT wink

smirk
I thought about asking him for a detailed explanation of the mechanics behind aerodynamic jump, and as a self-proclaimed ballistics expert with superior knowledge and experience he shouldn’t have any trouble laying it out clearly, but I realized that it would be a waste of my time to engage with him, and a waste of everyone else’s time reading his response.

Best to just ignore the trolls instead of feeding them.
Good enough !

grin

FWIW I HAVE hunted the tundra.

Yeah, me too so I thought for a minute JD was talking about me. But then I saw the "old guy" reference.......

I would kind of look forward to it.

In a car crash kind of way.

I thought about asking him for a detailed explanation of the mechanics behind aerodynamic jump, and as a self-proclaimed ballistics expert with superior knowledge and experience he shouldn’t have any trouble laying it out clearly, but I realized that it would be a waste of my time to engage with him, and a waste of everyone else’s time reading his response.

Smart Move and good excuse

You ended up looking pretty stupid last time

BTW just like your buddy, I am under no obligation to write anything for anyone, especially you, you ain't anybody to me nor, am I looking for your admiration..

I never proclaimed jack [bleep], you did, but I am glad you realized that yes I do know a thing or two about ballistics.. See I didn't have to make big claims like you guys have, you knew it right off, you made them for me..

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Dead Horse Thread II - 06/21/21

Sure, we can.

grin

Be nice to see.

Maybe he shy and just needs a helping hand, Paul.

.35 Whelen using a 250 grain Speer Hot-Cor.
You fu cker!

Beav’, make it a couple buckets full, I’m going to have to chug one of them.

Maybe he shy and just needs a helping hand, Paul.

.35 Whelen using a 250 grain Speer Hot-Cor.

Nice Rifle !!!

BTW just like your buddy, I am under no obligation to write anything for anyone, especially you, you ain't anybody to me nor, am I looking for your admiration..

I never proclaimed jack [bleep], you did, but I am glad you realized that yes I do know a thing or two about ballistics.. See I didn't have to make big claims like you guys have, you knew it right off, you made them for me..

Glen,

Good call to avoid saying anything about ballistics, which would certainly further expose you as a fraud.
Thanks!

Now, you can post a picture of something you killed.

Glen,

Good call to avoid saying anything about ballistics, which would certainly further expose you as a fraud.

Dude seriously your amateurish attempt at baiting is laughable... I have nothing to prove to any of you, it seems that you already have recognized that I know much more than you, and I can see it bugs you
Plus lets be serious here, nothing I write would convince you of crap, so why would I bother...

And NO that isn't an excuse, I already own you...
Capgun, you don’t have a hair on your ass if you don’t debate ballistics with Jordan.

I’m pretty sure you can take him.
Thanks!

Why ??? I didn't ask you too, you wanted to..

If and when I feel like it I will post what I want of what I want... You guys really think that trying to bait somebody works ???

Grow TF up already
Originally Posted by SLM
Capgun, you don’t have a hair on your ass if you don’t debate ballistics with Jordan.

I’m pretty sure you can take him.

Jesus does this childish baiting actually work on here ??? are you guys still in junior high ??
Let me guess if I don't rise to your bait, I don't get to join your club...

This is pitiful

Okay for real I am outta here

I have nothing to learn from this, and I had high hopes

You can go back to your circle jerk

Color me Gone !!!

Make sure to post the "It's not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure" meme too
Some people are beyond reason. It's those people who are an irritant on forums like this, and who are not remembered when they leave.
About the only move you had left.
I have no dog in this fight but have a question for you gssixgun. Are you by any chance related to a guy in Texas that goes by the name Elklayer?

Asking for a friend…
Thanks!

Why ??? I didn't ask you too, you wanted to..

If and when I feel like it I will post what I want of what I want... You guys really think that trying to bait somebody works ???

Grow TF up already

Interesting....
Folded like a lawn chair in 6 hours.

Dammit, I was bored.

Trust me I will be in this Sub-Forum to kick over a Hornets Nest quite often.. Just keep whipping out those wee shooters and promoting that BS
...... it seems that you already have recognized that I know much more than you......

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, it's not that sixgums is a liar, he just "knows" so much that isn't true.

Originally Posted by Springcove
I have no dog in this fight but have a question for you gssixgun. Are you by any chance related to a guy in Texas that goes by the name Elklayer?

ROR!
Well, if what he says is true, we are all better off.. Adios...
Yeah, was wondering about this, when I engaged, this morning !

Jordan killed my fun, by his asking me to DFTT !

It wounded me, thankfully not mortally, like a .224 carrying only 750ft/lbs of energy !

grin
Maybe I should break out Big Bertha!

She uses a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 2300 fps for only 5875 ft/lbs!

As long as you keep your pants and shirt on.

Does she have a sister named Gladys?

Asking for SLM....
Yeah, was wondering about this, when I engaged, this morning !

Jordan killed my fun, by his asking me to DFTT !

It wounded me, thankfully not mortally, like a .224 carrying only 750ft/lbs of energy !

grin

Haha, I'm glad you pulled through!

Feeding them only emboldens them! grin
WTF...did the schittbird really leave?

Who can we turn to for "ex-spurt" advice?

Since he pointed out that none of us are....
For a few reasons I may have a legitimate reason to elk hunt this year with my .223 and 62 TSX.

I won't do that if I can reasonably avoid it, but we will see.

Asking for SLM....

Her sister is Bouncing Betty.

They have a cousin, her name is Rowdy Rhonda...
Originally Posted by SLM

Fine! smirk
If she’s breathing, we’re probably good.

Asking for SLM....
Don’t think anyone would think it ideal, but I bet you figure out how to make it work if forced to.

For a few reasons I may have a legitimate reason to elk hunt this year with my .223 and 62 TSX.

We can always refer to Chuck Hawks.

Originally Posted by SLM
You fu cker!

Aah, man...I guess I can hold your hair outta the way when you’re puking into the porcelain.

😂🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

Plus 10

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

Chuck hawks!! 😂😂
Originally Posted by SLM
Don’t think anyone would think it ideal, but I bet you figure out how to make it work if forced to.

Defining "forced" I guess is in order.

My main elk rifle is here in AK with me and I am flying down to hunt in Idaho come Oct. I don't have a load worked up that I have any confidence in anyhow and with shelves bare along with most online distributors, I don't see me having the ability to get it up and going anytime soon unless I drop everything and totally concentrate on finding some suitable bullets. I keep rifles at my mom's place down there but they're all short range, open sight kind of deals. Other than that .223 Rem and a .270 Win that is........but the .270 is a pre-war retired safe queen these days and has a period correct scope which isn't the most waterproof option out there.
Hey, thong boy...notice your blinking “you got mail icon?”

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

My main elk rifle is here in AK with me and I am flying down to hunt in Idaho come Oct. I don't have a load worked up that I have any confidence in anyhow and with shelves bare along with most online distributors, I don't see me having the ability to get it up and going anytime soon unless I drop everything and totally concentrate on finding some suitable bullets. I keep rifles at my mom's place down there but they're all short range, open sight kind of deals. Other than that .223 Rem and a .270 Win that is........but the .270 is a pre-war retired safe queen these days and has a period correct scope which isn't the most waterproof option out there.

270’s barely need sights anyhow…. Just get them within line of site, they will do the rest of the work grin
Anything I’ve got you need, I can get it to you, but you have to stop texting me those raunchy selfies.

Originally Posted by SLM

That would mean a lot to me if I wasn’t bald.

Originally Posted by SLM
You fu cker!

Aah, man...I guess I can hold your hair outta the way when you’re puking into the porcelain.

😂🦫
Pretty sure that’s where capgun got his education.

Originally Posted by SLM

Chuck hawks!! 😂😂

Well, we'll just have to find somebody else who's never hunted big game with a .223 but can look up numbers in a table.
Originally Posted by SLM

Chuck hawks!! 😂😂

SWEET!
If we're short on experts, and Chuck Hawks isn't acceptable, we could try Clay Harvey.

If anybody knows where he is.....
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If we're short on experts, and Chuck Hawks isn't acceptable, we could try Clay Harvey.

Any port in the storm if we can't have Lee24....
Poobah, does this Mule Deer guy know anything?

Well, we'll just have to find somebody else who's never hunted big game with a .223 but can look up numbers in a table.

You're right. Where's Coyote_Hunter when we need him?

[Linked Image]
LMAO…..

Can you convince him to keep it under 10,000 words?

You're right. Where's Coyote_Hunter when we need him?

[Linked Image]

I can't believe nobody's thought of this but I have the perfect candidate.

The Real Gunsmith.
Originally Posted by SLM
Anything I’ve got you need, I can get it to you, but you have to stop texting me those raunchy selfies.

Originally Posted by SLM

Thanks but not sending the selfies isn't worth it.

It's what I do....and enjoy.

PS, I found a new pond/lake just a 1/2 mile off the haul road with true, wild Arctic Char. Never planted like most accessible char lakes are. His adipose fin was small and may have been clipped, though I couldn't tell for sure. He may have been gill netted and recoded a while back, but he's still wild. These char aren't nearly as colorful as they are during the fall spawn thoughfrown.

So, what's the consensus? I'm not reading 15 pages.
I have a bunch of 45 gr. Vmax I could try.
Now we’re getting some where.

Neat looking fish.

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

Thanks but not sending the selfies isn't worth it.

It's what I do....and enjoy.

PS, I found a new pond/lake just a 1/2 mile off the haul road with true, wild Arctic Char. Never planted like most accessible char lakes are. His adipose fin was small and may have been clipped, though I couldn't tell for sure. He may have been gill netted and recoded a while back, but he's still wild. These char aren't nearly as colorful as they are during the fall spawn thoughfrown.

Stand by, a new expert needs to be found.

Originally Posted by NVhntr
So, what's the consensus? I'm not reading 15 pages.
I have a bunch of 45 gr. Vmax I could try.
Originally Posted by SLM

Never heard of him...Wait, I think he’s a chef in San Fran.

LOL

🦫

Armed with a thesaurus and other people’s experience, Clay Harvey can set anything strait.
Originally Posted by SLM

You know, he actually does...but a lot of what he knows is about those girly man big bore over .224 caliber rifles....

He actually uses the .224 kinda stuff on things like prairie dogs, and gophers. Overgunned, to be sure. There might even be Freudian implications. laugh
:
Using an elk rifle for prairie dogs?

That doesn’t even make sense.

Originally Posted by SLM

You know, he actually does...but a lot of what he knows is about those girly man big bore over .224 caliber rifles....

He actually uses the .224 kinda stuff on things like prairie dogs, and gophers. Overgunned, to be sure. There might even be Freudian implications. laugh
:
Does to me. wink
Originally Posted by smallfry

Armed with a thesaurus and other people’s experience, Clay Harvey can set anything strait.

No, we really need to get this guy to weigh in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRhQK9KoMY
Your opinion doesn’t count.

Never realized alfalfa fumes were bad, but obviously they have a negative affect.🤣

When are they saying you guys will run out of water? Rumor here is water will be done mid July if we don’t get some big rains.

Does to me. wink
We are done, the last order date was June 18th and the delivery will end sometime this week.

Alfalfa fumes are good for you man. Like they make the colors stand out and the fuzzy little critters love you man.
That’s not good. Most around here can’t get water either.

River is dropping everyday.

Where the hell did Mikey go?
Texas will get their water till early July IIRC.

We need a monsoon season that'll make Noah's look like a little bit of rain.

Yep, I'm lost without Mikey ex-purtise.

Not Mikey, We are having a very wet summer so far, went to town this morning for tractor parts, and had to pull over, it was raining so hard, same coming back, big puddles in our ranch roads. wish i could send some your way Ken, you can hear the grass growing here. Rio7
We need it, Blue!

All we are getting here is heat and wind. frown

Ken, No wind 87 deg. like being in a sauna, but it's wet. Rio7
It’s looking bad everywhere but the East/SE side,

Nephew had 8” a couple weeks ago. We haven’t had a measurable rain for a long time.

I'm running on back up generator, power went off it's raining hard. Rio7
Originally Posted by SLM
It’s looking bad everywhere but the East/SE side,

Nephew had 8” a couple weeks ago. We haven’t had a measurable rain for a long time.

We have had enough to settle the dust and that's all.
Originally Posted by RIO7

I'm running on back up generator, power went off it's raining hard. Rio7

I don't know whether to be sad or mad. wink

Just called in the ranch hands and told them to go home and stay home, lightning is real bad and the weather channel shows it's going to be a lot worse for the next couple of hours. it's lunch time any way. Rio7
Dang, you be safe Blue!
Mikey’s general area had so much rain……had to scatter (re-)plant a section of flooded soybean field.

Originally Posted by SLM
That’s not good. Most around here can’t get water either.

River is dropping everyday.

Where the hell did Mikey go?

Mikey, I always knew you were full of beans but I had no idea you were a soy boy.
Mmmm, y'll know 98. something % of the worlds soy beans are genetically modified ?
Yikes…….now you are all crop experts?

Why am I not surprised?

Thanks for all the help. Couldn’t have ever survived!
Does explain why you’re so good at spreading sh it.

A farmer wearing shiny brown shoes?
Rest assured……..I’ll never forget the little man.

Originally Posted by SLM

Not me, never claimed to be. Just the kind of beans you're full of, seen enough of those.
Remember what I mentioned about the gay posts?

Stick to mailing cookbooks. It’s your calling.

Not me, never claimed to be. Just the kind of beans you're full of, seen enough of those.
Hey…….why don’t you jump off a 900 foot cliff……..so you can tell all us simpletons what it’s all about?

Better yet……drive your car around, blindfolded.

No….wait. You could actually damage something or someone else with your stupidity.

Don’t worry…….it’s the rest of the logically thinking world……..not you!

grin

I have that affect on most women.

Originally Posted by SLM

I’ll post no pictures….to give you a chance at prolonged matrimony.

In short (really short)…..I’m rooting for you, lil’ guy.

grin

Originally Posted by SLM
I have that affect on most women.

Originally Posted by SLM

No worries, the wife would have no interest in a guy that wears shiny shoes.

Or a feeble basterd that needs 4 trips to pack out a cow.
Typical little brother response.

I give you my word…….no pics that would jeopardize your love nest.

grin

Originally Posted by SLM

We are done, the last order date was June 18th and the delivery will end sometime this week.

Alfalfa fumes are good for you man. Like they make the colors stand out and the fuzzy little critters love you man.

Peyote and a half cup of water to wash it down.

Spectacular colors ! Or, so I’ve been told.

Sounds like another rain dance is needed.

Blindfold tied tight...Go for it !

😂🦫
Several rain dances are needed.

Without the alfalfa fumes. wink
ZZZZZZZ……
8pm……about right!

Originally Posted by WAM
ZZZZZZZ……
Keep your dam clothes on and quit smoking the alfalfa.

Thought for a little while we were going to get a shower, nothing but wind.

8pm……about right!

Originally Posted by WAM
ZZZZZZZ……

Old fûck !

😂🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

They are saying we’re gonna hit a record @ 109* on Sunday.

🥵

🦫
You’ve got the living in fantasy down pretty good.

That’s alright, we all have to be good at something.

Typical little brother response.

I give you my word…….no pics that would jeopardize your love nest.

grin

Definitely don’t tell her real life would be so much better than any fantasy.

Originally Posted by SLM

We hit 101* again today.

Originally Posted by SLM

🥵

🦫
Came close to 80 here today and I am dressed like the slut that I am. Shorts make it a pain to conceal the 1911, so Ruger LCR it is.

Try to contain yourselves, thinking of me in shorts and a tee shirt with a gun in my pocket. It is a small gun, but the wimminz say it packs a PUNCH.
Originally Posted by SLM
We hit 101* again today.

Originally Posted by SLM

🥵

🦫

You desert dwellers are used to heat...Yeah, I know, it’s a dry heat.

We start to hemorrhage when temps reach the mid 70’s around these parts.

When we’ve had heat this early, it has usually ruined archery season starting on August 28th. They’ll lose 1/2 a season, if not all of it, with fire closures.

Hope you all catch some good rain.

🦫
Prostitutes are paid to make you feel good about yourself.
Came close to 80 here today and I am dressed like the slut that I am. Shorts make it a pain to conceal the 1911, so Ruger LCR it is.

Try to contain yourselves, thinking of me in shorts and a tee shirt with a gun in my pocket. It is a small gun, but the wimminz say it packs a PUNCH.

Whew...I’m flushed. I better sit down.

😝🦫
I hate the heat, but hate humidity more.

Pretty humid where your at?

Originally Posted by SLM
We hit 101* again today.

Originally Posted by SLM

🥵

🦫

When we’ve had heat this early, it has usually ruined archery season starting on August 28th. They’ll lose 1/2 a season, if not all of it, with fire closures.

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

What’s the going rate for a hag hump in Billings, MT ?

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

And?
It would take a special hooker to be able to make Mikey feel good about himself.

Originally Posted by SLM

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM
We hit 101* again today.

Originally Posted by SLM

🥵

🦫

🦫

Can be in the valley, where temperatures can soar.

Me, on the coast, humidity is often pushed out by the marine layer.

Valley can be in the 90’s and I’m at 66* with low cloud cover and slight wind...Very comfortable.

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

And?

I guess it’s better than touching yourself and saying you had a awesome weekend

😬🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫

He couldn't afford it, but as a FYI methheads give a guy more bang for their buck, because they're crazy anyhow. This is not a bad thing.
Never mind, I won’t ruin it for you.

You getting my room all set up in the homestead?

Originally Posted by SLM

And?
That one tooth can be a bitch though.

Originally Posted by SLM

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫

He couldn't afford it, but as a FYI methheads give a guy more bang for their buck, because they're crazy anyhow. This is not a bad thing.

Originally Posted by SLM

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫

Meth chicks are fun...I always leave a buck under her pillow for the tooth she lost during the night.

Beave the tooth-fairy

🦫
Originally Posted by SLM

[quote=SLM]Prostitutes are paid to make you feel good about yourself.

[/qu1ote]

And?

Yes.
There may be some blood and spooge on the walls. Maybe a dead hooker in the closet.

I hope you don't mind. They can't say "no" that way.
SOB, I can’t keep up now.

Think I could like that.

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM
We hit 101* again today.

Originally Posted by SLM

🥵

🦫

🦫

Can be in the valley, where temperatures can soar.

Me, on the coast, humidity is often pushed out by the marine layer.

Valley can be in the 90’s and I’m at 66* with low cloud cover and slight wind...Very comfortable.

🦫
How dead are we talking?

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

And?

Yes.
There may be some blood and spooge on the walls. Maybe a dead hooker in the closet.

I hope you don't mind.
Originally Posted by SLM

How does a 77 degree dew point sound?
Remember what I mentioned about the gay posts?

No, but I bet it was something along the lines of "they turn me on."
Originally Posted by SLM
How dead are we talking?

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

And?

Yes.

I hope you don't mind.

Dead enough to not be able to say "no".

It works.
Originally Posted by SLM

I will do the rain dance at night with nothing but my slippers on!

Yup, we got a little shower Tuesday night. Come Monday the weathermen are predicting a 50% chance of rain here, so Sunday night I will dance outside in nothing at all!
Sounds like you need 4 ice cubes in your whiskey and more ice to put on the Coors Light.

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by SLM

How does a 77 degree dew point sound?
Beav’,double up the bleach.

Probably going to have to main line the sh it.

Originally Posted by SLM
How dead are we talking?

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

And?

Yes.

I hope you don't mind.

It works.

Originally Posted by SLM

I will do the rain dance at night with nothing but my slippers on!

Yup, we got a little shower Tuesday night. Come Monday the weathermen are predicting a 50% chance of rain here, so Sunday night I will dance outside in nothing at all!
Perfection.

Originally Posted by SLM
How dead are we talking?

Originally Posted by SLM

Originally Posted by SLM

And?

Yes.

I hope you don't mind.

It works.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Wind, torrential rain & hail here, before dark last night.

Got about 30 trees down around the house, 1 across 2 snowmachines, hopefully no damage.

Everything else got missed !

No fishing this weekend, I think.

After the storm was pretty !

Dam Pablo’, hope everything is undameged.
Had a branch puncture the enclosed snowmachine trailer, no damage inside, thankfully !

Have to get that poplar off the 2 machines, take off covers & inspect, but cursory "feel" yesterday think no panel damage.

The arctic cat handlebars are definitely bent, hopefully that's all.

Missed 3 boats, 4 vehicles, camper, tractor, lawn tractor & 3 quads !

Coupla saws be running, most of the weekend, I think.

Guess I'll have plenty of firewood !
Tell Mrs. Deb to have it all done by the weekend so you can fish.🤣
grin

ROTFLMFAO !
Had a branch puncture the enclosed snowmachine trailer, no damage inside, thankfully !

Have to get that poplar off the 2 machines, take off covers & inspect, but cursory "feel" yesterday think no panel damage.

The arctic cat handlebars are definitely bent, hopefully that's all.

Missed 3 boats, 4 vehicles, camper, tractor, lawn tractor & 3 quads !

Coupla saws be running, most of the weekend, I think.

Guess I'll have plenty of firewood !

Got all next week to work, go fishing this weekend.

You have my permission to do so. smile
Paul, what was the wind speed and gusts that took down 30 trees ?

That’s a lot of bark on the ground for anyone.

🦫
Fast, big fella !!

Nothing official yet, but I'm calling it a micro burst.

Damage along a narrow width (less than a mile) from Eagle Lake to the highway !
Fast, big fella !!

Nothing official yet, but I'm calling it a micro burst.

Damage along a narrow width (less than a mile) from Eagle Lake to the highway !

It sure sounds like one.

Chainsaws sharpened ? Start chewing trees !

Hope you discover your damage is minimal.

🦫
Thanks Beav !

Been given the go ahead, by Deb, to fish Saturday morning & get to work after lunch.

Love that lady.

Of course, it could be that she's picking up her new car, Saturday morning !

Lease expires on her 2017 Ford edge, next week. Don't want a new 1 with the sewing machine ecoboost engine.

Decided she wanted a fully loaded Subaru Crosstrek, so hitching a ride with friends, to the City (4 hours away) to pick up at noon.
We do resent that statement......we have plenty of 5 cent deposit cans, for the best you have to offer.........donation for beaver, of course. Inflatables have a short satisfaction shelf life.

Originally Posted by SLM

Asking for Mikey

Laffin

🦫

I hadn't looked at this Thread for quite a while, and just saw that it's up to 19 pages so I thought I'd get the latest on the .224/elk discussion. WRONG! I just read page 19 and not one mention of a .224 bullet or cartridge or even about elk.

I doubt that I would ever use my .22-250 or .223 Rem for elk, but I have several friends that have used their .22 centerfire rifles for elk for many years, including one who previously posted a lot on this Forum that probably killed more elk with his .220 Swift than most posters here have killed with any cartridge.

Here's the bull one of my friends shot a couple of years ago with his .22-250...
Friend of my buddy in Billings, has a grandma who lives on the Reservation... she's only ever owned one rifle, a 22.250...

She's about 4 ft 10 and weighs about 80 to 85 pounds... her husband has been gone a long time, but she still pretty much lves off of elk for meat, which she prefers over venison...and being an Indian on the reservation, she can get away with taking 3 or 4 a year.. when she is getting low on meat, she tells her grandkids, to get ready for her to call them over to take care of the one she just shot...

They are pretty much close enough she just head shoots them out one of the windows she can use for a rest...

I'd do it if I had to, but not having to, I'd chose something bigger in caliber...

But I am glad that it is legal for gals like Grandma here...

in today's world there are just too many hunters and too many 'college boys" made up regulations....and too much for licenses, and especially fines...

My grandfather who was born in 1907, I wonder if he ever bought ANY game license, and he lived on more game meat than store bought.....
He passed in 1968, but I do know he shot game out of season when he was getting low on meat...venison...

He ate a lot of squirrel and rabbit... no one really cared that much about those....

this is in Southern West Va...
I remember showing up at elk camp with a 7mm Remington Magnum, 175 grain Nosler Partitions...

And being told that I didn't have enough gun! A single 175 did just fine.

Fellow I know fed himself for a few years with his 30-30, right out the window of his place. He lived in an orchard and the elk gathered there. I never asked him if he had a license or tag, kinda doubt it.

No desire to try to shoot an elk with a 223 though. smile

Regards, Guy
In a perfect world there are many small caliber cartridges that will kill an elk. I will bet that even a 22 long rifle (undoubtedly the favorite of many here) will get the job done. If one has perfect conditions, presentation and the right shooter, its a slam dunk. But in reality that does not always happen and when it fails it's a lost animal. Many here have already posted that they have seen lots of elk lost too much larger and more powerful cartridges,. Thats true, but exponentially more elk hunters use a more powerful cartridge, hence lost game. Its' going to happen sooner or later. I have done it and so have my partners, but that still does not make the .243 a great elk cartridge. It's not, it is adequate in some instances but inadequate in far more. I once lost a deer shot at point blank range with a 45 caliber pistol, both shots hit well, but the buck managed to get up enough adrenaline and get away from me. Poor tracking conditions, hindered the recovery. If I had shot the same animal with my 45-70, (which I also had with me), it would have been DRT. I have a limited sampling of over 200 elk killed by myself and three others of my partners in 4 states and over 50 years. All with a 30;06 or greater. My best recollection is that 7 or 8 have been lost. Not because of bad shooting, but primarily because of conditions, which limited the retrieval.

Last edited by elkmen1; 06/03/21.
© 24hourcampfire