Home
Posted By: Monkeymaster Colorado Wolves - 11/20/23
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c.../ar-AA1k8mXl?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531

FYI
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/20/23
If people will shoot every wolf they see, wolves won't ever be able to establish a population.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
from the link:
Wolves have long been a divisive species, particularly in rural areas where many farmers and ranchers consider them an unacceptable risk to both humans and livestock. But for many Americans, they evoke a powerful and meaningful emotional connection with wild places and the natural world.

In keeping with that divide, Colorado voters barely approved the wolves' reintroduction, and the law received most of its support from liberal urban residents living far from where the wolves will be released.
Those Americans happen to live in cities and suburbs. Most don't hunt. Practically none farm or ranch. The wolves won't be in THEIR back yards.
Posted By: colodog Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
It's very much the same as the invasion along the southern border, people that are far removed from the consequences of the choice are calling the shots.
Posted By: colorado Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
We just need to reintroduce grizzlies into Colorado to keep the wolf numbers down smile
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by colorado
We just need to reintroduce grizzlies into Colorado to keep the wolf numbers down smile
Ya'all want some griz we will send ya some.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
from the link:
[quote]Wolves have long been a divisive species, particularly in rural areas where many farmers and ranchers consider them an unacceptable risk to both humans and livestock. But for many Americans, they evoke a powerful and meaningful emotional connection with wild places and the natural world.

In keeping with that divide, Colorado voters barely approved the wolves' reintroduction, and the law received most of its support from liberal urban residents living far from where the wolves will be released. (quote)

Those Americans happen to live in cities and suburbs. Most don't hunt. Practically none farm or ranch. The wolves won't be in THEIR back yards.

And that's a serious problem for western democracies. Governments are elected by their big cities because that's where the majority of citizens live. And that's where WOKE germinates, thrives and takes over the minds of people, including the current younger generation and future prospects. Same here in Canada, There are three major cities, maybe four, that elect our federal government. And the government appoints officials that miror themselves with their far left ideologies.

So that's the problem with wolves in your back yards, and not theirs. It's not gonna get better barring a revolution, serious depression, war or (hopefully) a miracle from God (see: The Bible, book of Proverbs ch 3, verses 3 - 6)

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: wytex Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If people will shoot every wolf they see, wolves won't ever be able to establish a population.
Umm, no they won't. The federal charges would ruin them financially.
They already have wolves, wonder why they haven't all be shot ?

Now when they cross into Wyoming we will take care of them, legally.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Heard the same thing in Montana when the so called reintroduction happened almost 20 years ago, you will never shoot them all no matter how hard you try.
The most effective way is trapping and poison and the latter will never happen.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Do the GPS collars on them have cameras? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: wytex Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
I know how to disable the collars, very easy actually.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by wytex

Like cover it in hamburger and put it outside a bear's den?
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/22/23

Share with those of us that might find that info handy, if ya know what I mean, WINK......
Posted By: wytex Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Share with those of us that might find that info handy, if ya know what I mean, WINK......

A magnet
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/23/23
If I got a collar, I’d tie some sticks together with the collar on top and toss it in the nearest creek.
Posted By: Mountain10mm Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/25/23

A magnet

A big rock works too.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/26/23
If I got a collar, I’d tie some sticks together with the collar on top and toss it in the nearest creek.

Doesn't work, they did that on Yellowstone and the collar still got traced back to Rip. smile
Posted By: pete53 Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/26/23
i wish the collars were a wide orange belt for the wolves safety .
Posted By: specneeds Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/27/23
I’d never shoot a federally protected wolf in Colorado. We are however forced to buy small game license to apply for elk tags so my plan is always to shoot coyotes even though they get so much bigger in CO than back home. Wouldn’t bother to retrieve the pelt or come near a dead large coyote.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/27/23
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’d never shoot a federally protected wolf in Colorado. We are however forced to buy small game license to apply for elk tags so my plan is always to shoot coyotes even though they get so much bigger in CO than back home. Wouldn’t bother to retrieve the pelt or come near a dead large coyote.

agreed but a wide belt orange collar is for our safety too ? those collars know when that woof died ,where it happened and the computer beeper goes off .
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 11/28/23
Originally Posted by MOGC

Doesn't work, they did that on Yellowstone and the collar still got traced back to Rip. smile
I figured that the constant, non-stop motion of the water would be a giveaway, but I'd do it anyway.
Posted By: Monkeymaster Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/06/23
Be a shame if the poor critter and its collar fell into a crevice or down between some boulders.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/07/23
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by colorado
Ya'all want some griz we will send ya some.

deerstalker;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the day's looking promising a few valleys east of us on your side of the medicine line.

Was listening to the Communist Broadcasting Corp. on the radio the other morning heading up hunting and they had a bio on there who has now retired but spent most of his life studying grizzly bears in the Flathead Valley just east of you.

They currently have 74 collared grizzlies that they're monitoring - in the Flathead alone.

By his account, they're expanding their range and population here in BC and since they don't recognize the medicine line, for sure and certain they'll be down your way soon if they've not arrived already.

Oh, buddy wrote a book on his life out there in the Flathead. Here's a link, but I've not read it so can't recommend yes or no.

https://rmbooks.com/book/grizzly-bear-science-and-the-art-of-a-wilderness-life/

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/07/23
We have them in the Upper Peninsula frown. I know people who have stopped going there to bear hunt with dogs because of the wolves attacking their dogs. I use bells and beeper collars on my bird dogs and whistle them in to keep them close. I always carry a handgun as well as I feel it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Several friends that deer hunt in the U.P. see nothing on trail cameras but wolves and can spend the 15 day firearm season in the woods and never see a deer. One of my best friends comes to lower MI mid December to harvest several doe's so his family has venison for the year. Small communities in the U.P. suffer economic loss due to the lack of deer hunters because of the wolves.
Some day the wolves will cross the frozen lake and take up residence in northern lower MI. It will be interesting to see what happens if that does indeed happen and leads to predatition on the elk herd.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/12/23
well, I guess it's time to fight fire with fire. Seems the anti-hunting groups have been using lawsuit after lawsuit to keep wolves protected from hunting, so why not use lawsuits to stop wolf introduction.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/12/...wildlife-lawsuit-cattlemens-association/
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/12/23
Originally Posted by TRnCO
well, I guess it's time to fight fire with fire. Seems the anti-hunting groups have been using lawsuit after lawsuit to keep wolves protected from hunting, so why not use lawsuits to stop wolf introduction.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/12/...wildlife-lawsuit-cattlemens-association/

I'd like to read that, but it requires a subscription to the Denver Post. Can you copy and paste it
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/12/23
The Colorado Cattlemen’s Association and Gunnison County Stockgrowers’ Association sued Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service this week to delay the reintroduction of gray wolves into Colorado.

Through a lawsuit filed in federal district court Monday, the industry organizations are seeking a court order to delay the release of gray wolves into Colorado by Dec. 31, a deadline required by the state’s Gray Wolf Introduction Initiative narrowly approved by voters in 2020.

The complaint alleges the two agencies violated the National Environmental Policy Act by not conducting an environmental assessment or environmental impact statement on the “environmental consequences of reintroducing gray wolves to Colorado.”

Previous environmental impact studies released this fall did not address those issues, the lawsuit states.

The Colorado Cattlemen’s Association, which represents 6,000 members, has long opposed the ballot measure to reintroduce gray wolves, with officials describing it as a threat to humans, domestic pets, livestock and wildlife.

Under the state’s reintroduction plan, up to 10 wolves will be brought to Colorado from Oregon by plane or truck and released in Summit, Eagle or Grand counties by the end of the year, where they will likely disperse by up to 70 miles.

The agency plans to bring up to 50 more wolves to Colorado over the next five years.

But despite years of planning and development, state and federal wildlife officials did not take the required steps to analyze the impact of gray wolf reintroduction as required under the National Environmental Policy Act, the lawsuit alleges.

In a statement, Gunnison County Stockgrowers’ Association President Andy Spann said concerns raised by the group during the reintroduction plan’s development were not sufficiently resolved.

RELATED ARTICLES
The wolves are coming to Colorado, and the state has stockpiled explosives and deterrents. How are ranchers preparing?
With Colorado set to reintroduce gray wolves, bill backed by U.S. Rep. Lauren Boebert seeks their removal from endangered species list
Colorado middle schoolers voting to name reintroduced gray wolves
“We believe that much of our input, and that of many others across Western Colorado, was diminished by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission,” Spann said. “We regret that a course of litigation on this and other issues seems to be the only recourse left to have these concerns legitimately addressed.”

The lawsuit seeks a declaratory judgment that the federal and state wildlife agencies violated the law by renewing an Endangered Species Act agreement without preparing an environmental impact statement on the reintroduction of gray wolves and a court order to delay reintroduction until it is complete.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife and U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials could not be reached for comment late Monday night.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
Sunday is the day there gonna start the capture in Oregon, Laden Marsh in Lagrande, Oregon is the spot there gonna bring them to by Helicopter would be funny if there was a huge protest like Bundy style with all sorts of media.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
If all the hunters would just SSS, stick together and not admit to anything. There would be no problems.
We didn't care enough about our country to fight for liberty and justice in 2020, so I see no reason to fight for wildlife.
Posted By: WAM Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
Hint:
Use FMJ for a pass-through and gut shoot. Let them expire on someone else’s land wink
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
If all the hunters would just SSS, stick together and not admit to anything. There would be no problems.
We didn't care enough about our country to fight for liberty and justice in 2020, so I see no reason to fight for wildlife.
You guys are dreaming if you think SSS will kill all the wolves, I wished but its not reality.
What got rid of them the first time? It wasn't shooting them.
99% of you will never see one.
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
Trapping them and poisoning them has been the only effective way. We hunters can not kill them fast enough
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Trapping them and poisoning them has been the only effective way. We hunters can not kill them fast enough
100%
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
Just do nothing but complain, that'll help a bunch. No one will ever convince me that not killing predators is a good thing.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
No one said it's not a good thing. It's just that hunting them doesn't work. They reproduce faster than hunters can kill them. Their range is too large and they're too mobile. Finding them to shoot them is just pure luck and that doesn't get them eliminated. I've seen tracks here in Idaho many times but I've only seen hair once since they were planted here.
Posted By: colorado Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/15/23
I keep saying reintroduce grizzlies to control the wolf population ...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
No one said it's not a good thing. It's just that hunting them doesn't work. They reproduce faster than hunters can kill them. Their range is too large and they're too mobile. Finding them to shoot them is just pure luck and that doesn't get them eliminated. I've seen tracks here in Idaho many times but I've only seen hair once since they were planted here.
Rockchuck nailed it 100% some just think its like coyote hunting far from the truth. Easy for some to spout off and say just SSS and that will take care of the problem.
Simple solution anybody who thinks its that easy come on out show how its done then get back to us later how the outcome was.
I've seen 3 in 30+ years hunting in montana 2 I couldn't have even got a shot at if I even wanted too.
Posted By: colorado Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/17/23
Read the first 10 wolves will be released into Colorado tomorrow.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/17/23

We had this discussion back when a few wolves made it to North Park.

Those North Park wolves are gone now. DEAD.

Wyomings Predator Zone is proof positive that hunting can work to stop expansion and remove a population before it becomes well established.

Dumping 10 wolves loose is a really poor way to establish a wolf population. One could suspect the guys on the ground doing the wolf reintroduction are setting it up for failure. Colorado Parks and Wildlife was against the wolf reintroduction.

I wonder how many of those wolves travel North and get whacked just across the Wyoming border?
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
10 wolves a really poor way to establish a wolf pack? Are you kidding! You know how many were dumped in yellowstone in 1995 ? 14. 1995-1997 there were 41 dumped in Yellowstone now how man is there in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana?
The New Perce last i heard were gonna give Colorado 40.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by sherm_61
10 wolves a really poor way to establish a wolf pack? Are you kidding! You know how many were dumped in yellowstone in 1995 ? 14. 1995-1997 there were 41 dumped in Yellowstone now how man is there in Wyoming, Idaho and Montana?
The New Perce last i heard were gonna give Colorado 40.

Your keyboard is slurring.

That said the wolves introduced into Yellowstone Park were kept in confinement for weeks to allow them to bond and get used to the new enviroment. There were many more than 10.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife is litterally kicking them out the door with a "Good Luck" into an area that is not a protected Federal National Park.

To someone who understands this looks like the introduction is being setup to fail from those tasked with the introduction. It's almost like CO P&W didn't want wuffs.

10 wuffs dumped on the landscape are extremely vulnerable to a host of things and are far from an established breeding pack. Odds are good they will even kill a few themselves. Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.
Please-O, Please-O, Please-O........ the more, the better. Go wolf-on-wolf violence...
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
I believe astudy in Denali Park found the most significant cause of mortality for wolves was...........other wolves!
Wolf on wolf violence is a thing.
Please-O, Please-O, Please-O........ the more, the better. Go wolf-on-wolf violence...

Intra-specific fighting: wolves killed by wolves

Major source of mortality among wolves, multi-year study of Denali wolves (Mech et al. 1998)
39% (22 of 57) of radio-collared individuals
To 65% possible, including deaths due to unknown causes
Freshly killed wolf remains often show signs of conflict with other wolves (Mech et al. 1998)
Introducing the wuffs in late December gives scant time to form a pack, mate, and find a good den site.

Miss the January breeding window and it's a whole nother year before any of those 10 wuffs can make new wuffs.

The stress from being captured, moved, and dumped into a totally new landscape is going to put a bit of a damper on wuff romance and pack developement.

While I won't say failure is a sure thing it's sort of hard to think how one could do the first Colorado introduction in a manner more designed for failure.
Read again Burns 14 planted in 95, Google is your friend.
Posted By: TA 17 Rem Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
The wolves will adapt just fine and will build a social structure. Also, they don't repopulate as fast as one thinks and don't need a large area but if it's there then the better for them. For controlling them it takes hunters and trappers to keep numbers in check if they allow a season at later date. Minnesota and Wisc. was lucky enough to have two years of wolf hunts. All quota tags were filled before deadline. Maybe western hunters can learn a thing or two from Midwest hunters. And running one down after 30-40 miles chase with snowmobile isn't the answer and just messes up a season, we lucky enough to get. aah maybe someday you guys out west figure it out. LOL We also have more wolves here than all western states combined.
Oh they will adapt alright. As soon as they were released in 95 2 headed straight to montana and the Alpha was shot so now there was 13.
If you got more than all Western states combined you guys are doing a real bang up job keeping them in check i hope we really learn from Minnesota.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
I doubt you'll ever see wolf hunting in CO. Here in ID, the state recently passed laws aiming to reduce the wolf population by 90%. That's BY 90%, not TO 90%. Tags are cheap and you can buy an unlimited number of them. Seasons in most of the state are year round.
Theres 4 in Colorado right now or on there way, quite possibly in a Silver truck pulling a horse trailer.
2 from the Norgard pack and 2 from the 5 point pack that have been heavily into livestock trouble.
Oregon had to kill 4 out of that pack, Google 5 point pack you will see, from what I understand Oregon is not suppose to send trouble wolves to Colorado if there is such a thing.
I doubt you'll ever see wolf hunting in CO. Here in ID, the state recently passed laws aiming to reduce the wolf population by 90%. That's BY 90%, not TO 90%. Tags are cheap and you can buy an unlimited number of them. Seasons in most of the state are year round.
Except Montana, I can't understand why we are constantly in court over wolves and g- bears. Maybe its because all these liberal wolf and g- bear lovers we have gotten over the last 10 years.

You guys in Wyoming and Idaho don't seem to have near the court B.S. we do of course the lovely Fed Judge Malloy is in one of the most liberal holes in Montana.
About to find out theres 4 wolves either in Colorado or on there way as we speak and more to come.
Google 5 point pack in Oregon thats were 2 of the 4 came from
Read again Burns 14 planted in 95, Google is your friend.

Pretty sure I don't need Google to know 14 is 40% (a lot) more than 10.

As I told you those 14 wolves were kept in an enclosure (in YNP) for months to allow a pack to form and the wolves to get used to the enviorment.
If keeping them in a pen was so successful why did 2 head straight for Montana, dont suppose the others hung around because of the 20,000 elk to feed on
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
If a fellow were to gut shoot a wolf and it ran off somewhere and died there would be no need for a shovel. Correct?
If keeping them in a pen was so successful why did 2 head straight for Montana, dont suppose the others hung around because of the 20,000 elk to feed on

LOL.

12 stayed put as an established pack. It was extremely susccessful at establishing a pack with a territory inside Yellowstone.

2 dispersed from the pack as wolves have always done. That's how they expand into new areas.

You seem surly. Not feeling so well today?

LOL.

12 stayed put as an established pack. It was extremely susccessful at establishing a pack with a territory inside Yellowstone.

2 dispersed from the pack as wolves have always done. That's how they expand into new areas.

Hung over Burns?
Long weekend in the whiskey bottle, seem a little dillusional.

LOL.

Hung over Burns?

I have been consistently right and you can hardly type a coherent post.

Are you smelling burnt toast?

Anyhow, I don't give this step in the introduction much chance of producing an established packand I would never encourge anyone to do anything illegal.

As a side note, your cell phone (if you are carrying one) pings the closest towers and law enforcement can get records of the pings for towers in the general location of an incident.
Posted By: colorado Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/18/23
Awooo werewolves in Boulder ...
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/colo...troversial-reintroduction-gets-underway/

LHS
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Jeez. They let the head sodomite turn them loose?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23

Dumping 5 juvenile wolves onto the landscape after the stress of capture and a long truck ride has a very low chance of success.

I suspect the collars are the latest and greatest money can buy.

Odds are good those collars will be pinging dead before spring.

I wonder what happens if the Colo P&W submitted plan fails to establish breeding packs?
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Oh theres more coming tomorrow or the next day
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
I screwed the pooch on a white wolf this year while packing out a moose. Absolute rookie mistake. Took my pack off and walked 20 or so yards to sit down, rest and glass a basin. Left my rifle strapped to the pack. Out of nowhere, 75 yards away there he is.....just standing there. Oh well. By the shape and bulk of the snout I suspect it was a mature male. I've killed a few wolves but never a white one.

On another note one wolf I trapped had been absolutely ripped apart by his packmates. I had nothing but a paw and leg bone left. Brotherly love and all that...

These thoughts have nothing to do with the OP, but neither does well over half of the rest of these posts. Whatever the outcome, I wish Colorado hunters the best concerning this.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
And another possible mind blower. I have a photograph somewhere that I took 6 years ago of a fresh wolf track in SW Colorado. And yes I know what a wolf track looks like. So maybe they’ve already had a few for a while now.
Originally Posted by TheKid
And another possible mind blower. I have a photograph somewhere that I took 6 years ago of a fresh wolf track in SW Colorado. And yes I know what a wolf track looks like. So maybe they’ve already had a few for a while now.

It's not uncommon for some whacked leftist to release wolves and wolf hybrids.

Such attempts never produce breeding packs.

Not saying that is what made the track you saw but it's happened a whole bunch of times.

Once breeding pack are established it's very hard to stop. Lone wolves on the prowl are very vulnerable to a host of factors.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by TheKid

It's not uncommon for some whacked leftist to release wolves and wolf hybrids.

Such attempts never produce breeding packs.

Not saying that is what made the track you saw but it's happened a whole bunch of times.

Once breeding pack are established it's very hard to stop. Lone wolves on the prowl are very vulnerable to a host of factors.

That’s as good an explanation as any. I just know I was shocked when I ran across a set of fresh wolf tracks.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
The problem is when you find fresh tracks of about a 1/2 dozen or more wolves. Now you have a pack.
The problem is when you find fresh tracks of about a 1/2 dozen or more wolves. Now you have a pack.

I don't have any advise for the guys in Colorado but in the Wyoming Predator Zone 1/2 dozen wolves trying to establish a pack are going to get the special attention.

Colorado hard dumping juvey wolves 5 at a time is not the best plan if one wants to actually establish breeding packs. It might work but it's uphill odds.

We all believe the Lefties are stupid. Might be right.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23

I don't have any advise for the guys in Colorado but in the Wyoming Predator Zone 1/2 dozen wolves trying to establish a pack are going to get the special attention.

Colorado hard dumping juvey wolves 5 at a time is not the best plan if one wants to actually establish breeding packs. It might work but it's uphill odds.

We all believe the Lefties are stupid. Might be right.

Let's hope you are right
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23

LOL.

Hung over Burns?

Anyhow, I don't give this step in the introduction much chance of producing an established packand I would never encourge anyone to do anything illegal.

As a side note, your cell phone (if you are carrying one) pings the closest towers and law enforcement can get records of the pings for towers in the general location of an incident.
How can it ping towers when there is no cell service?
Posted By: SlickLizard Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Shoot on sight. Shoot to kill.
Posted By: Monkeymaster Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...fter-federal-judges-decision/ar-AA1lz3mn

If they were reintroducing a gas drilling rig, this judge would have had halted it so fast, the cab would have been ripped off !

LOL.

Hung over Burns?

Satellite thats how 911 works
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
I won't be calling 911 if'n I pop a woof.......
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23

I suspect there will be a new crop of hybrid coyotes needing to be thinned.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Ok but why can't they establish wolf packs in wild horse range? If we can't shoot feral horses for food why can't the wolves predate on them rather than elk. We might get a to-fer here.
Smart thing is leave anything electronic at home.
I wish you Colorado guys all the luck in the world your gonna need it im burning my points next year its not gonna get any better
Posted By: kennyd Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Odd. Ifeel sorry for the wolves too. Displaced in winter, assume altitude sickness same as we get, no pack.
Game guys did pick a locale where the voters wanted wolves. But not Boulder.
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by kennyd
Odd. Ifeel sorry for the wolves too. Displaced in winter, assume altitude sickness same as we get, no pack.
Game guys did pick a locale where the voters wanted wolves. But not Boulder.

No sir, Grand County did not vote for them.

Boulder County: 68 percent approval
Denver County: 66 percent approval
San Miguel County: 64 percent approval
Pitkin County: 62 percent approval
San Juan County: 56 percent approval
Broomfield County: 55 percent approval
Summit County: 54 percent approval
La Plata County: 53 percent approval
Arapahoe County: 53 percent approval
Larimer County: 52 percent approval
Adams County: 52 percent approval
Jefferson County: 51 percent approval
El Paso County: 51 percent approval

LHS
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
4 wolves released about 20 minutes SW of Kremmling near Radium SWA. Road the forms borders of 15 and 361

Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
A man I knew had a bad feral hog problem,
and finally had to resort to putting things in
chunks of meat to kill some of the more
elusive ones
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Woops- sorry, I just now saw that this
was about problem canines and not
problem swine
Posted By: k22hornet Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by saddlesore
4 wolves released about 20 minutes SW of Kremmling near Radium SWA. Road the forms borders of 15 and 361

With a bit of luck, the wolves will settle in Grand River Ranches, and those homeowners can enjoy the sight of their 'Fiffe' dogs becoming lunch.

Last I saw, the big game units around Kremmling were the only ones that were at 'herd objective' for Mule Deer in the entire State.

Rocky Mountain National Park should have been the release site, but I guess seeing an elk getting ripped apart on someone's front lawn in Estes Park might make the good people of the Front Range second guess their votes.
Posted By: TA 17 Rem Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by Ranger99
A man I knew had a bad feral hog problem,
and finally had to resort to putting things in
chunks of meat to kill some of the more
elusive ones
Sounds like something a idiot would do. sooner later they get caught.
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
4 wolves released about 20 minutes SW of Kremmling near Radium SWA.

Just curious Saddlesore is that a typo or are you privy to different information. Everything I've seen says that there were 5 released yesterday. Also curious about your map. When they say Grand County, Radium SWA is the largest parcel of state land which is what they were relegated to for release.

Thanks.

LHS
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23

A phone can't ping towers it can't reach but it takes much less energy to get a ping than establish a solid cell contact.

Roads into and out of poor cell coverage can make a list of persons who have visited an area during a time period.

I am not suggesting any course of action but being able to blame the failure of the Wolf Reintroduction on blood thirsty hunters would make for great story lines in the Rocky Mtn News and the Denver Post.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
LHS. I mistook a press release that showed Snowmass/Aspen.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
rocky mtn news?.....
rocky mtn news?.....

You made me go look.

I been up here in WY for a while.
Posted By: Jimmypop Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
rocky mtn news?.....

You made me go look.

I been up here in WY for a while.

Wyoming love you.
Posted By: colorado Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by kennyd
LHS. I mistook a press release that showed Snowmass/Aspen.

I was hoping for Boulder lol
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by LHS905
Just curious Saddlesore is that a typo or are you privy to different information. Everything I've seen says that there were 5 released yesterday. Also curious about your map. When they say Grand County, Radium SWA is the largest parcel of state land which is what they were relegated to for release.

Thanks.

LHS

Could be,but I only saw four crates
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
To forestall any conspiracy theories I re-watched the video. There are 5 clearly, individually marked crates-CPW-2, 3, 6, 7 and 8.

LHS
Originally Posted by LHS905
To forestall any conspiracy theories I re-watched the video. There are 5 clearly, individually marked crates-CPW-2, 3, 6, 7 and 8.

LHS

And clearly 5 different wolves released at that location.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/20/23
wolves will go where fresh red meat is easy to kill ,once that area is low of easy prey they will move again. no such thing as wolves will settle . good luck ,Pete53
Originally Posted by pete53
wolves will go where fresh red meat is easy to kill ,once that area is low of easy prey they will move again. no such thing as wolves will settle . good luck ,Pete53

This time of year a "pack" has to "settle" and established a territory to raise the young at a den site.

Juvenile wolves, like those CO dumped, will indeed travel far and wide.

It's been posted ( I don't know it for a fact) here those were hoodlum juvies who were involved in killing livestock. That's why Oregon was willing to give them to Colorado.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

While I would never break any laws I damn sure would never take a chance when mother nature might just fix the problem.

There will be a huge spotlight on those 5 wuffs. Be smart.
Posted By: wytex Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/21/23
2 more released at diff location.
Posted By: las Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/21/23
"Helicopter gunships" worked pretty well here in Alaska in places, but of course PETA et al gave it bad press... Expensive too - especially if you set fire to one while refueling.... smile

Short of poison, choppers are the most effective (if expensive) way of culling wolves. Far better than fixed wing. PETA claimed it wasn't "fair chase". That's once they were right about anything!

And the money poured in....
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/23/23
https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=4007

LHS
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/23/23
And they are derivatives of these big boys.

L.W.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23

Wonder if those females were bred?
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23
Originally Posted by CPW Plan
Private landowners, the general public, and other federal/state agency personnel will be requested to immediately report any observation of a gray wolf to CPW. Illegal take of gray wolves by the public will be discouraged through an extensive information and education program, which will include reference to all initially transplanted animals being monitored daily through GPS satellite collars and radio telemetry. Any reports of suspicious activity will be taken seriously and investigated. The public will be encouraged to cooperate with CPW in the attempt to closely monitor the wolves and quickly resolve any conflicts.

CPW will monitor transplanted wolves that emigrate into adjacent states and assess management implications on a case-by-case basis in consultation with that state’s wildlife management agency and the USFWS. Such animals may be captured and relocated back to Colorado in the most efficient and effective manner possible.

Any unexpected losses of wolves to preventable causes will immediately prompt a review of all associated factors, and, if possible, find ways to improve procedures. Unexplained losses or an unusually large number of losses during the first year of releases or following any modification to established protocols will prompt a full review of management procedures. To assure high initial post-release survival, the project may be suspended at any time until likely cause(s) of problems are identified, and acceptable solutions can be implemented to resolve the problem(s). Monitoring will occur over a longer time frame to assess when the program has reached its benchmarks for success and completion
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23
Pardon me skipping all the posts above, but it seems to me that if they can use the wolves to cause a decline in game populations, they can make a case against allowing further hunting. That may well be the driving force behind this stuff. That Mule Deer maybe pressured too much matters not to them I expect.

If someone else already posted this idea well, sorry sorry sorry.
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23
Yes, and those evil scoped sniper rifles.
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23
The only good thing about the release of these five wolves in Colorado is that there are now five less wolves in Oregon.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/24/23
10 oregon stock killers were released.
Posted By: Osky Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23

Wonder if those females were bred?

Might be just a bit early in the season for that.

Osky
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23
Back in '79 and '80 friends and I drove up from Texas and bowhunted up on Unit 62. This was up on the Uncompahgre, 40 miles west of Montrose. At night we heard wolves howling every night. On the '80 trip, I actually had one trot by me within bow range, I had the wind right and no, I didn't even try to shoot him, ha. He looked 10ft long from nose to tail, big head and tall. I told a guy at a store down in Montrose we heard them at night, and I saw that one and he called me a liar! Heck, I know what a coyote looks like, a coydog looks like and a Red Wolf looks like! So they have been there quite awhile!!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
. . . .I told a guy at a store down in Montrose we heard them at night, and I saw that one and he called me a liar! Heck, I know what a coyote looks like, a coydog looks like and a Red Wolf looks like! So they have been there quite awhile!!

Been told that myself about various critters
I finally came to the conclusion that the doubters
are usually those that spend an hour, hour and a
half, two hours in their stand, or depend upon
gamecams for all their scouting, or take naps
or diddle with their phone or whatever other
than observing while they're in the bush
Oh well. . . .
Posted By: Osky Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23
There are plenty of solid sightings coming out of Colorado particularly the last few years. It’s obvious with time they will repopulate wherever they want, there is no limit.
In Colorado’s case being they are there and gradually expanding the way wolves do, what is the true reason that state is rushing it with money and resources? I know all the guesses we have, I’d just like to hear it from the horses mouth, the truth that is.

Having the place in Northern MN since the 50’s I have seen as a boy when wolves were at manageable number and no harm to anything. They gradually unchecked over 30 years really exploded and first wiped out the moose, then on to the deer, then livestock.
You Colorado folks won’t see much of them in the first years or feel the impact but then they will have numbers and your elk will get clobbered in the spring during calving season when the wolves hunt hardest to feed feed pups and the denning anchors the pack to tighter areas. Don’t worry about your bulls, the young cows and calves will get hit hardest and first. That’s when the real damage is done. They kill to kill then as well, they don’t stay and clean up a kill like the hard times of winter. This scenario wiped out a lot of prime elk country up in the Clearwater basin towards Lolo in Idaho, Yellowstone, and other places in the west as well.

Unchecked the wolves are a parasite with no bounds. With all the protections they become 24hour fearless killers. Using Full senses including daylight the ungulates get no break and stress factors kick in to the hooved breeders. At the time people in Colorado start happily seeing wolves regularly in the daytime you will know your beautiful elk herds are in serious trouble, with only one unallowable cure. Good luck.

Osky
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23
Thoughtful response Osky, and your insight comes from experience.

Colorado's experiment comes from the rabid enviro, animal rights, and unfortunately the voting majority. A 2020 ballot initiative that carried by 50.91% of the Colorado voting public mandated that Colorado Parks & Wildlife do this introduction regardless of the fact that wolves were establishing themselves.

This was the 3rd ballot box biology initiative that has passed in Colorado. The 4th is on it's way for 2024. As written, it will eliminate the hunting of mountain lions, bobcats, and lynx-more info here. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/18969426/hunting-under-fire-co-and-or It's a long read, but trying to get the word out to help with the effort to shortstop this BS of the general public thinking that they should manage wildlife instead of the agencies with the expertise.

Merry Christmas!

LHS
Posted By: Aviator Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/25/23
Damn shame!
Posted By: LHS905 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/27/23
Media update-from Wyoming.

Cowboy State Daily

LHS
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Colorado Wolves - 12/27/23
No but they track their movements for a good amount of time so they can backtrack them for some time. So don’t think you can simply float it down a river or throw it in the bed of a truck and think they won’t figure it out.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/03/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pardon me skipping all the posts above, but it seems to me that if they can use the wolves to cause a decline in game populations, they can make a case against allowing further hunting. That may well be the driving force behind this stuff. That Mule Deer maybe pressured too much matters not to them I expect.

yep i mentioned this too and us /we the hunters and gun people are basically screwed ,10 years from now elk population will be half in Colorado. Minnesota used to have lots of deer ,moose and elk . now the moose are mostly gone, deer population is much lower now , elk population is low ,plenty beef cows have been missing and many are scared by wolf bites too. and to think 24 hr. Campfire has many liberals that vote for Biden Shameful .
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/03/24
Any clue if the woofs are headed for Wyoming ?? Love to hear they were all killed Shortly after crossing the state line.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/03/24
if they do head north and get anywhere near the border, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to hear that the CDOW&P would fly a heli up there and try to haze 'em back south.
Posted By: oldtimr1 Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/03/24
Too bad that the powers that be can't understand that now that this country is populated by human beings wolves should be relagated to the status of the dinosaur, extinct . When you protect the takers in favor of the providers you are setting the stage for disaster for wildlife.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
Too bad that the powers that be can't understand that now that this country is populated by human beings wolves should be relagated to the status of the dinosaur, extinct . When you protect the takers in favor of the providers you are setting the stage for disaster for wildlife.

The ""real powers that be"" have a plan for the two legged variety , that plan is to lower the world population by 90%. Read up on it and I'll send you a tinfoil hat.
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/04/24
Colorado officials and everyone else who sustained the re-introduction of wolves in their state THIS way must be out of their minds.

Look at Germany. The where wolves were definetly extinct.

https://www.discoverwildlife.com/animal-facts/mammals/wolves-germany

According to the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN), 158 wolf packs, 27 pairs and 20 solitary animals were confirmed in Germany in the last monitoring year. In total, the population could number about 1,200 wolves. Nobody knows the exact number as these wide-ranging and secretive animals cannot be counted individually, and pack size can fluctuate between five and ten animals over the course of a year, but the number of territories is well known, so these figures are still good and as accurate as they can be based on scientific monitoring data.

The Federal Departement of Environment states 1.339 wolves in Germany.

For comparison:

The estimated wolf population for 2022 was 1,087 wolves, according to Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. This number is down 56 wolves from 1,143 in 2021. The number of wolf packs was 181, down 10 packs from 2021. Total wolf kills for the spring and fall of calendar year 2022 were 248.

Below a chart showing the number of wolf attacks (black) and the number of killed or injured livestock (grey)

[Linked Image from dbb-wolf.de]

Montana:
Wildlife Services (WS) confirmed the loss of 96 livestock to wolves during 2021, including 67 cattle and
29 sheep; and 3 livestock guard dogs were also killed by wolves (Fig. 1). This total was similar to
numbers during 2011-2020.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Colorado Wolves - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That is precisely the plan. They said so themselves 15 to 20 years before the 1st introduction in the Yellowstone area. I read exactly that in an anti-hunting magazine at least 15 years before they started planting them. It took them a lot of time to get their people into places of authority in the FWS and FS, but once they got that done, we got wolves.

They made some mistakes along the way. They never anticipated that wolves would become hunted game animals themselves. They learned and we will never see a grizzly hunting season in the lower 48.
© 24hourcampfire