Home
Posted By: WAM ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
I see the board is heating up regarding hunts planned for the fall. Even though hunting season is 9 months away, tag application time is approaching.

What are your plans for elk and/or mule deer hunts this year?

Happy Trails
Posted By: beretzs Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
Wyoming elk here if the draw is kind to my party! Can't wait, was just thinking about the prep work for this years hunt!
Posted By: TheKid Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
OTC 3rd season in CO if I don’t draw a deer tag. Word on the street is that they’re going to change the season to a later shorter season which would be awesome but we’ll see what happens.
Posted By: huntinaz Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
Applying for AZ and WY. Neither is a sure thing but hoping to get a tag somewhere. Possibly otc CO if we have bad luck in the draw
Posted By: exbiologist Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by TheKid
OTC 3rd season in CO if I don’t draw a deer tag. Word on the street is that they’re going to change the season to a later shorter season which would be awesome but we’ll see what happens.

The official dates are posted and 3rd season has changed
Posted By: Judman Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
Collect another point in Wyoming, at max. Apply Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington again, probably strike out and hunt Roosevelt’s with the musket in Washington like usual. Got a pile of points in Montana so hopefully I’m due. Love/hate this time of year!! 🤣🤣
Posted By: iddave Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
OTC Idaho tag because I’m incapable of drawing anything.

Dave
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/23/20
Buy another point in Wyoming, and put in for Oregon but slim chance of drawing so will likely hunt the elusive spike only during the 2nd season - kinda like hunting unicorns but hey its hunting grin
Posted By: T_Inman Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/24/20
I didn't put in for Alaska elk this year so unless New Mexico or Idaho's second draw give me something good, I'll probably only hunt Wyoming. Probably a general tag but one year they may give me a decent tag here. If I tag out early I may buy an Idaho OTC tag somewhere since their 2nd draw may as well be the moon.

Depending on my mood, I may also apply for the Montana big game combo instead of just the deer combo, like I normally do. We'll see.

I quit playing the points game with Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Way too much other opportunity around to mess with those systems and buy licenses and points every year.
Posted By: WAM Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/27/20
I usually hunt Washington and keep putting in for quality bull hunts, which I haven’t drawn in 18 years. I’ll probably go back to NW Colorado on an OTC tag on the private land that I have access to and hope for a mediocre bull. Maybe get lucky and draw a deer tag, too. Happy Trails
Posted By: Hesp Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/27/20
As usual early elk & second season deer. Also late season private property cow elk.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/27/20
I may put in for my usual any elk tag.. But doubt I put in for a cow tag.. Hunted about 3 mornings and an afternoon or two .. Season opens Oct. 1 and closes Jan. 31... So it will close with out me getting a chance to hunt again.. Good luck to all who really are up for hunting elk.. Maybe the interest will come back as time to apply comes along..
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/27/20
Likely just Wyoming for me this year, both bull and cow. Maybe I’ll get a limited draw unit!

Going to spend some time antelope hunting too.
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 01/28/20
Colorado as per usual I will apply for a doe tag in the same unit as always and see how that works out Probably OTC for a west slope elk tag as per usual INot much changes for me
Posted By: MCSO1357 Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/01/20
Will apply for AZ tag, looking into OTC Idaho or Colorado as backup plans....hate living in Iowa and having this passion.
Posted By: Puddle Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/02/20
Late season private property cow elk. Building points back up in MT & WY.
Posted By: rd7fox Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/02/20
Hoping I draw in Wyoming.
One app for a 2nd chance cow tag
One app for a private property late season tag.

Either way, at least I'll get another pref pt to keep up with the creep.... haha
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/04/20
Back on track for my 2019 Private Land cancelled cow elk hunt, but in late September. I'll put in for some antlerless antelope/mule deer tags later. I like to draw for the Private Land hunts for these, very few people on the places, quieter, less chance of being "scoped out" by a Public Land tag owner.
Posted By: boliep Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/05/20

I would be happy to find an honest outfitter for cow elk in southeastern Colorado or northeaster New Mexico.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/05/20
Old son and I are already planning on a trip to the family ranch in Colorado. I am running seriously low on steaks and ran outta pan sausage last week!!! . And being an elkaholic, I need my fix!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Old son and I are already planning on a trip to the family ranch in Colorado. I am running seriously low on steaks and ran outta pan sausage last week!!! . And being an elkaholic, I need my fix!!

I'm planning one to the family ranch too. It's called the San Juan National Forest. I only invite a few thousand of my closest hunting buddies grin
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I'm planning one to the family ranch too. It's called the San Juan National Forest. I only invite a few thousand of my closest hunting buddies grin

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Good one Smokepole!!!
Posted By: Sako76 Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/05/20
Utah rifle bugle hunt, happy retirement to me!
Posted By: jrypka Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/06/20
Hoping to get my dad out to WY on a general deer tag for his first trip west since the 70s. Not prime trophy area but hoping to make great memories with him and my brother. All while saving up another point to try for Wyoming elk next year
Posted By: 1minute Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/06/20
A Wy Gen should be a sure thing. Will head out of here on 12 Oct.
Posted By: ribka Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/07/20
Archery elk in Idaho and OR and possible rifle elk in Montana

Montana, Idaho deer

WY. antelope
Posted By: WAM Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/07/20
Originally Posted by Sako76
Utah rifle bugle hunt, happy retirement to me!

Good for you! Looking forward to a report! Happy Trails
Posted By: Sako76 Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/13/20
Thanks, will do.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/14/20
Good luck with all your plans..
Posted By: fishermen0105 Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/14/20
I’m hoping archery elk...
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/14/20
Eastern Wyoming muleys this year. Hopefully draw a bull tag next year.

EDIT: Elk might wait till 2022 if I can work out a Newfoundland moose for 2021.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 02/15/20
Colorado archery OTC elk, 3rd season buck tag, antelope doe, 4th season B list cow tag and another filed attempt to draw Colorado moose.
Posted By: 308winhunter Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 03/03/20
Hello folks. I’m new to the forum, actually a forum virgin as I have never been on one before. I have a diy drop camp scheduled in Co gmu 24 first rifle on Buford Ridge. Anyone have experience at this place during this season?
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 03/03/20
Oregon Roosevelt’s on the menu per usual with OTC 4 day bull hunt...Cow draw hunt possibly with 13 points. My Grocery store cow hunt may have changed their store hours causing me to choose between chasing bulls or taking a guaranteed meat tag...Decisions - decisions.

Head up to Washington with Frud-knuckle and company to take a swipe at putting a bull in the dirt on Weyerhaeuser land. Costs associated with this hunt won’t deter me from partaking in long roping bulls outta the deep timber...

Should be a good shoot with plenty of laughs running with the Chapman savages up North.

😎
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: ElkHunt. 2020? - 03/03/20
My plan is to hunt two seasons, 3rd and 4th, in Colorado. What two rifles will go is yet to be determined.
© 24hourcampfire