Home
Posted By: dassa 16 vs 18 - 07/09/20
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 16 inch barrel versus an 18 inch barrel? Also, what are the advantages of the .223 wylde chamber?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 16 vs 18 - 07/09/20
The wylde chamber is usually more accurate . With the 18-inch barrel you can run a rifle length gas system which is usually a little smoother with slightly less recoil
Posted By: TWR Re: 16 vs 18 - 07/09/20
16" loud and almost 100 fPS slower than an 18"

But all I own are 16's
Posted By: passport Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The wylde chamber is usually more accurate . With the 18-inch barrel you can run a rifle length gas system which is usually a little smoother with slightly less recoil

Can you not get a Wylde chamber in a 16 inch barrel?
Posted By: Walter_Sobchak Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by passport

Of course you can, He was answering both the OPs questions separately.
Although many 16” barrels are 5.56, while most 18 are .223 wylde
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Advantages & disadvantages are whatever you perceive them to be.

Some of the differences are that the 16" gun will be a little more nimble to handle, it will have more muzzle blast, given the same barrel profiles, the 16" will be lighter & will give up about 80 FPS of velocity with the same loadings as the 18"

Even though the guns are generally heavier, IMO & for my tastes, the 18" guns tend to balance & point better for me than the shorter guns, at least to a point. The 16" & 14.5" guns feel considerably more nimble to handle especially are vehicle & are easier to move around with.

Wylde chambers are available in most any length, depending on the barrel maker.

Choices are highly dependent on your intended use & personal preference.

MM
Posted By: Shadow Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
The Wylde chamber is more generally accurate with match bullets like the 77 grain SMK/TMK. The regular 5.56mm chamber is generally more accurate with the most "terminally effective" rounds like the Barnes 70 grain Tac-X and the 62 grain Barnes TSX.

Barnes bullets like to jump, and the regular 5.56mm chamber affords more of it over the Wylde. Decide which you want to run first, then decide on the chamber. On barrel length, if you going to run a brake, or flash hider or a can, the 16" will handle much better than an 18" barrel and will provide little disadvantage for shots under 300 yds..

If you want your rifle for the majority of shots over 300 yds, then pick the longer barrel.

IMHO and YMMV....
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20

Sure you can. I was just answering his last question regarding the wylde chamber.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Of course you can, He was answering both the OPs questions separately.
Although many 16” barrels are 5.56, while most 18 are .223 wylde

Thanks. Exactamundo. If it were me, I'd be getting a compass lake chamber and 20" tube, but like you said, I was merely answering the op's questions...
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Chamber dimensions

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Nebraska Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Chamber dimensions

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had really good luck with the Wylde chamber and have never heard about the Compass Lake chamber until now. What benefit do you get with a CL chamber over the Wylde and with what ammo?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
If I ever put one together it will be 18" crowned.
No screw on stuff.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
the 18 is more suited to hunting in my opinion, especially if you take a shot without ear pro.
Posted By: Hudge Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20

As mentioned you can. I have a 16” Wylde chambered barrel, but I’m thinking of upgrading it to an 18” barrel. If you do go 16”, I’d suggest mid length gas over a carbine length one. From what I have found looking around, your better barrel manufacturers Put mid length gas systems on 16” barrels and cheaper ones use carbine length. Not saying the cheaper barrels can’t be accurate though. I’ve got. 16” 5.56 Red-X Arms upper I won with a 1:9 twist pencil barrel. It will out shoot my BCA (the only BCA I’ll ever buy as well) 16” Hbar 1:8 twist 223 Wylde upper everyday of the week with up to 62 gr ammo in it.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 16 vs 18 - 09/30/20
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I've had really good luck with the Wylde chamber and have never heard about the Compass Lake chamber until now. What benefit do you get with a CL chamber over the Wylde and with what ammo?
It's a tighter chamber that, on average, gives slightly better groups than a Wylde. It has a shorter throat too that may be good for longer accurate barrel life under certain circumstances. Because of these two differences, it also uses about a 1/2gr less powder than a Wylde.

It is also more finicky about brass, being slightly tighter at the base and significantly tighter at the shoulder. The Wylde is more of a compromise between accuracy & reliability, the CLE being more accuracy oriented.

The only gun other than a Compass Lake-built rifle that I'm aware of that used that chamber was old Bushmaster NM rifles. I think White Oak may offer barrels with that chamber as well. John Holliger and Frank White seem to be pretty good friends, they do work for each other.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/01/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Nebraska
It's a tighter chamber that, on average, gives slightly better groups than a Wylde. It has a shorter throat too that may be good for longer accurate barrel life under certain circumstances. Because of these two differences, it also uses about a 1/2gr less powder than a Wylde.

It is also more finicky about brass, being slightly tighter at the base and significantly tighter at the shoulder. The Wylde is more of a compromise between accuracy & reliability, the CLE being more accuracy oriented.

The only gun other than a Compass Lake-built rifle that I'm aware of that used that chamber was old Bushmaster NM rifles. I think White Oak may offer barrels with that chamber as well. John Holliger and Frank White seem to be pretty good friends, they do work for each other.

My Windham weaponry barrels have compass lake chambers and they do shoot pretty good. No complaints here. Both rifles shoot sub moa in the black rifle challenge here
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/01/20
The CLE chamber is virtually the same as a 223 chamber so be careful what you put into it; & the accuracy gain over the Wylde based on the chamber alone, it not a deal breaker/deal maker for any except genuine very high precision shooters in competition, & maybe not even then. IMO.

YMMV

MM
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/03/20
Originally Posted by TWR

But all I own are 16's

Same here. Haul an 18 around for a while and then tell yourself why they're better again.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/03/20
Get a couple of each. Problem solved.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/03/20
Or several..............................

MM
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 16 vs 18 - 10/04/20
That's why I posted if I built one it would be 18" no muzzle device.
All the gain, no extra length added by something I don't need.
JMO
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 16 vs 18 - 02/26/22
Tagged. Trying to decide whether to go 16 or 18".

18 with no device sounds like a decent idea.

I actually have 1 of each in my cart w PSA.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 16 vs 18 - 02/26/22
The CLE chamber is virtually the same as a 223 chamber so be careful what you put into it; & the accuracy gain over the Wylde based on the chamber alone, it not a deal breaker/deal maker for any except genuine very high precision shooters in competition, & maybe not even then. IMO.
The SAAMI chamber can shoot, but it usually has something like a 3 degree angle on the rifling lead and the CLE is 1.5 degree. All else being equal, the CLE shoots VLD bullets better than the SAAMI. I'm getting rid of a Krieger with a SAAMI. It would never shoot anything more exotic than a Sierra 77MK.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/03/22
Advantages & disadvantages are whatever you perceive them to be.

Some of the differences are that the 16" gun will be a little more nimble to handle, it will have more muzzle blast, given the same barrel profiles, the 16" will be lighter & will give up about 80 FPS of velocity with the same loadings as the 18"

Even though the guns are generally heavier, IMO & for my tastes, the 18" guns tend to balance & point better for me than the shorter guns, at least to a point. The 16" & 14.5" guns feel considerably more nimble to handle especially are vehicle & are easier to move around with.

Wylde chambers are available in most any length, depending on the barrel maker.

Choices are highly dependent on your intended use & personal preference.

MM

Originally Posted by TWR

But all I own are 16's

There are ways to make 16 inches less loud.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: TWR Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/03/22
But now they're not 16" are they...

I can tolerate 16's, 18's are easier but if I was to run a can, it'd be on an 11.5" SBR
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/03/22
The SAAMI chamber can shoot, but it usually has something like a 3 degree angle on the rifling lead and the CLE is 1.5 degree. All else being equal, the CLE shoots VLD bullets better than the SAAMI. I'm getting rid of a Krieger with a SAAMI. It would never shoot anything more exotic than a Sierra 77MK.

What VLD's can you load to mag length?

MM
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/03/22
Originally Posted by TWR

I can tolerate 16's, 18's are easier but if I was to run a can, it'd be on an 11.5" SBR

12.6 with middy gas and pinned/ welded 4 inch core is money.

One stamp and none of the extra SBR travel restrictions.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by TWR

2 inches of noise and barrel has never seemed to be that much to me.

But I'm totally with you on the short barrel and can. Working on a folding stock and SBR to 10 inch range with a suppressor for the wifes truck gun one of these days.

Will defer but why 11.5 inches instead of 8 or 10? I'm not overly concerned on speed. Its a short range 300 yard weapon for the most part.
Posted By: TWR Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Because Colt 6933’s (11.5”) are as reliable as they get and keeps velocity in a useable range while giving you plenty of hand guard to hold on to.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100344068?pid=161755
Posted By: boatboy Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Tag
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by TWR
Because Colt 6933’s (11.5”) are as reliable as they get and keeps velocity in a useable range while giving you plenty of hand guard to hold on to.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100344068?pid=161755

Middy gas is significantly quieter at the shooters ear when suppressed.

Middy gas is more reliable than carbine gas if dwell time is proper addressed.

Carbine gas is loud at the shooters ear with any suppressor.

When the suppressor slides into the handguard ID you can have any length handguard your heart desires.

Win Win.
You’ve missed again.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by TWR
You’ve missed again.

define the weakness in the miss.

Longer gas systems always seemed the best idea if you had that much barrel.
Dwell time, cut out 2" of barrel past the port and you have to change port size or add a can to increase pressure. The carbine system on the 6933 is in the sweet spot for reliability. I also want a FSB for durability and so my little fingers don't get too far out near the muzzle.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Kinda depends on the use of the gun.

MM
Posted By: David_Walter Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Adjustable gas blocks are a thing for a reason.
Posted By: killerv Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Tagged. Trying to decide whether to go 16 or 18".

18 with no device sounds like a decent idea.

I actually have 1 of each in my cart w PSA.

Nice thing about an upper, you can have a nice lower and an upper of each, get what you are leaning towards now and the other upper later.

I really enjoy my 18in with rifle system for hunting and bench shooting. My 16s are more for plinking, truck gun, and walking around the woods.

MM

Yes and I’m sure mine are gonna be different than some, more of a truck gun use.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Adjustable gas blocks are a thing for a reason.

I want a fixed front sight base for a reason too.

Y’all can build whatever you want but I’ve not seen any reason to change the 6933 for my uses. They just work better than I ever imagined.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by TWR
Dwell time, cut out 2" of barrel past the port and you have to change port size or add a can to increase pressure. The carbine system on the 6933 is in the sweet spot for reliability. I also want a FSB for durability and so my little fingers don't get too far out near the muzzle.

Well you have read about the 6933 on the internet but you have never actually owned one? Interesting.

How could you you get your fingers out near the muzzle of a suppressed 11.5?

Also my point is that a dedicated 12.5 middy with a proper port size for running suppressed is money. Buying a 6933 that is gassed for shooting without a suppressor is going to be very overgassed when suppressed.

Originally Posted by TWR

But all I own are 16's

Originally Posted by TWR

So if you were to run a can, which means you are not running and do not have a can, it would be an 11.5 which you also don't have?

How are you determining the 6933 is a optimal setup for suppressors if you don't have a suppressor or a 6933?

I am a bit confused by your responses.
I’m not surprised your confused.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by TWR

You're
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by TWR

Well I'm the guy with lots of suppressors and lots of barrel lenghts.

You're the guy posting guesses or maybe you're just not clear in you're posts.

Do you have a suppressor?

Do you have a 6933 with a suppressor?

Do you have anything that is +/- 16 inches and is suppressed?

Are you just guessing?
Posted By: TX35W Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/05/22
Humm...having shot the throats out of many AR barrels in many different lengths and flavors....For me it's 18" ... I no longer have a 16" of any type. Closest I have is pinned/welded 14.5 with midgas that a suppressor lives on.

I also still have a bunch of SBRs with suppressors in 9", 10.5, 11.5, 12.5, though most are not in 556.

I'm partial to all of them, they have their uses...

But an 18" light contour is still what I'd grab if I could only take one.

Now...a lightweight 14.5 or 12.5 middy with a welded on can...hummm....might be onto something there.

As for Wylde chambers vs any other...I have found a pretty big variation in how chambers are actually cut from maker to maker, barrel to barrel, regardless of what they are called. Not sure I've had any better or worse luck with any of them. More about how well the chamber is cut.

But given how people treat their AR's in terms of barrel heat, wherever your throat is at right now is not where it will be at the end of a long shooting day.
Posted By: kingston Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

12.6 with middy gas and pinned/ welded 4 inch core is money.

One stamp and none of the extra SBR travel restrictions.

TAG
Posted By: TWR Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by TWR

You're

Good catch
Originally Posted by TWR

Well I'm the guy with lots of suppressors and lots of barrel lenghts.

You're the guy posting guesses or maybe you're just not clear in you're posts.

Do you have a suppressor?

Do you have a 6933 with a suppressor?

Do you have anything that is +/- 16 inches and is suppressed?

Are you just guessing?

I’ve had 14.5’s, 16’s, a 17, 18’s and a 20. I’ve shot 22’s, 24’s and yes an 11.5. Shot many others that I haven’t owned.
Yes I have a suppressor for a 22 but not for a centerfire. Doesn’t mean I haven’t shot them.
16’s are all I have right now, the truck gun was an idea awhile back when my buddy bought the 6933 upper and made a pistol. The ATF backtracking caused me to hold off until they get it sorted out. I wanted a pistol cause I could keep it loaded in the truck. But as well as I liked shooting it, I could see an SBR anyway.
A suppressor would be in the mix as well but I want the short barrel option for short barrel situations. Welding a can on to reach 16” is a great idea for some but I have 16” guns.

You see my uses and experiences are mine and you missed my whole reason for wanting an 11.5” with a can, options to use it or not.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/05/22
11.5 with a can is the best of the 556 short barreled options. They are gentler than the 10.5s and have way more wiggle room running suppressed vs unsuppressed. The 10.5's are just more finicky and as the gas port erodes they often get way overgassed. The 12.5's are nice but even though the extra inch in length shouldn't matter for handling, for me it does, and I rarely grab my 12.5.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/06/22
Originally Posted by TX35W
11.5 with a can is the best of the 556 short barreled options. They are gentler than the 10.5s and have way more wiggle room running suppressed vs unsuppressed. The 10.5's are just more finicky and as the gas port erodes they often get way overgassed. The 12.5's are nice but even though the extra inch in length shouldn't matter for handling, for me it does, and I rarely grab my 12.5.

When picking between a non SBR 16 or 18 inch the pinned and welded 12.5 middy with 4 inch mono core suppressor for OAL of 16 inches has a lot of good qualities.

While carbine gas has been getting it done for decades most agree moving the port down the barrel is a good thing.

Much less noisy than either 16 or 18 with the handling of a standard 16 inch. Loses around 150 fps or so to the 16 inch.

I don't shoot unsuppressed much anymore so pin and weld is a better choice for me vs dealing with an SBR and extra stamp.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/12/22

MM

I agree...
Posted By: TheKid Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/12/22
I’ve used both lengths in 223/556 pretty extensively as knock around varmint/pig/occasional deer rifles. I can find no difference in effectiveness on game based on whatever velocity difference there is using the same loads in both lengths. They’re both killing machines if you can shoot.

Operationally both were and continue to be incredibly reliable considering I might remember to clean them up a little once a year or so. The main difference I really notice is the carbine gassed 16” seemed way more violent as far as noise and “stuff” going on in front of and under your face. The rifle gassed 18” is much quieter operating.

This is only my experience over a couple thousand rounds and a few hundred animals from 20 to 300 pounds.
Friend of mine with a 5.56 Rock River NM rifle 1000 yds - Quantico.

IIRC he was shooting 77s handloads (old Lee book)... looks like a 20" to me...

That is an exceptionally tight 1k.

He is far better than me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: dla Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/12/22
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Proof?
Originally Posted by dla

Proof?

WOW...

We can go down this rabbit hole if you like.

The shooter is the RSO at Quatico... it was a witnessed match...

If you need more than that... get a hold of me personally and we can chase this as far as need be.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/12/22

That poor SOB! laugh
If he just had his wind call a little better!

Looks like my luck - shoot a screamer in the 5 ring! laugh

Great group, though. I'd be bragging too. While I shed a little tear.
That poor SOB! laugh
If he just had his wind call a little better!

Looks like my luck - shoot a screamer in the 5 ring! laugh

Great group, though. I'd be bragging too. While I shed a little tear.

LOL...

I told him that group would a haunt him forever...

Usually 6-7" for him... which is still crazy good at 1k with a 5.56.

Way better than me...

I can't hit the side of a barn (from inside the barn).
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/12/22
the pinned and welded 12.5 middy with 4 inch mono core suppressor for OAL of 16 inches has a lot of good qualities.

Take. My. Money.

We've had this same conversation in our office. A 12.5 and SF Mini are the same length as a P&W 14.5. And that's a good place to be for an all-arounder.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
the pinned and welded 12.5 middy with 4 inch mono core suppressor for OAL of 16 inches has a lot of good qualities.

Take. My. Money.

We've had this same conversation in our office. A 12.5 and SF Mini are the same length as a P&W 14.5. And that's a good place to be for an all-arounder.

What if I told you the suppressor was 1.1 inches in diameter and fit under most slim handguards?
Posted By: dla Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by dla

Proof?

WOW...

If you need more than that... get a hold of me personally and we can chase this as far as need be.

Yea, I've shot some amazing groups too - you know it's true cause I've posted a picture.

Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22

Take. My. Money.

What if I told you the suppressor was 1.1 inches in diameter and fit under most slim handguards?

That's a big deal for me. Before I left work this week I moved everything over to my 11.5. With a 10.5 rail things are really cramped. Several of us are using 12.5s with 11.5 rails, which is better. A 13" rail is plenty of room.

A 12.5" barrel with a P&W suppressor that fits under a rail would let you use a 13" rail. Which is really good when you start adding a PEQ and lights and switches.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22

Take. My. Money.

That's a big deal for me. Before I left work this week I moved everything over to my 11.5. With a 10.5 rail things are really cramped. Several of us are using 12.5s with 11.5 rails, which is better. A 13" rail is plenty of room.

A 12.5" barrel with a P&W suppressor that fits under a rail would let you use a 13" rail. Which is really good when you start adding a PEQ and lights and switches.

Our protos are under SLR 13.7 rails.

Obviously one will need to watch clearence for anything on the MLOK but the PEQ at 12 O'clock is nice.

Does your department want to T&E?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22
I'll shoot you a PM.
Posted By: tylerw02 Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22
The difference between a 16" and an 18" is two inches.

Having chronographed 16" and 18" side by side with the same ammo, I have seen nowhere near 100 fps difference. In fact, with 77s it was around 25 fps. If you think that matters, you're in the wrong game.

With 55 gr ammo, I saw about 60 fps difference, which again, is unimportant.

The best argument for an 18" barrel is that you can use a rifle-length gas system and soften the whole system up a bit.

Most 16" guns are carbine gas, but if you're willing, you can get a midlength and it will be a more forgiving system.

Wylde vs standard 5.56 NATO chamber varies depending on who made the reamer.

As far as which to go with, it is really unimportant but the better rifles will be 5.56 NATO chambers. The accuracy will depend on the barrel and luck of the draw.

Most my rifles are SBRs, but I do have some 16" guns and some 20" guns. I skip 18" altogether anymore. I wore my last 18" out probably ten years ago.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: 16 vs 18 - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

Proof?

WOW...

Yea, I've shot some amazing groups too - you know it's true cause I've posted a picture.

dla... not sure what you are saying here... either you are calling me out as a liar... or you are a hell of a pistol shooter.

We can put some coin with an Escrow account if that will make you satisfied.

https://quanticoshootingclub.com/
© 24hourcampfire