Home
Posted By: TWR LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
Some of you wanted to know my thoughts on the MBT trigger that is on sale till Christmas for $87.

I ordered 2 on July 16th and received them yesterday 8-10-18. One is going to a friend of mine and the other one wound up in another friends gun today. I have all Geissele G2S's in my guns and was able to compare them side by side. First impression was "dang this is really nice" first stage take up was clean right up to the wall. Second stage break was light and crisp with no real overtravel to speak of. Crosshairs stayed steady on target even though the gun is a Faxon light weight barrel with a Leupold 1-4 on it. I think the gun weighs just under 7 lbs. He shot 5 shots with my ammo into less than an inch at 100 yards which was the best it's ever done. He won't let me have it back...

It comes with an extra power hammer spring (and a cute note that says use only one spring at a time). The shape of the shoe is different but not objectionable. Made from S7 tool steel. Gives you a chance to win an UU kit (Ultimate Upper rifle kit). I didn't get to spend a lot of time with it as we had been shooting pistols all morning and it was time for me to go. I'll spend some time with it eventually but for $87 it's a no brainer. If you even thought about getting a decent trigger, order one.
Posted By: sotw Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
X2. Good trigger
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
Thanks for letting us know. I know I was interested in what you thought of them.That's one hell of a good deal, if it's the same one they were selling for $250.00 before...
Posted By: dla Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for letting us know. I know I was interested in what you thought of them.That's one hell of a good deal, if it's the same one they were selling for $250.00 before...

Yes they were $125 each before this $87 sale started. But I didn't realize they were taking a month to deliver.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
Originally Posted by dla

Yes they were $125 each before this $87 sale started. But I didn't realize they were taking a month to deliver.

Yep, that's a long time to wait. But probably worth it, if you aren't in a hurry...
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
They were $125 if you hit the no hurry option but they recently opened a new line that builds nothing but triggers full time from what I understand. Of course with the sale going on and the goal of selling 50,000 triggers before Christmas, there was bound to be a backlog.

It's worth the wait.

My buddy read this thread and said I made his gun fat, it weighs 6.7 lbs scope, sling and all.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
I paid $99 for mine. Outstanding trigger!
Posted By: ridge Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
Uh, TWR, I said it weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces, not 6.7 pounds.

If yer gonna build stuff for me yer gonna have to get the advertising right or I'll find someone else.

Just for that, you're not getting the trigger back.
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/12/18
I had a lot on my mind...

Hey post a pic of that group, I know you still have it wink
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by ridge
Uh, TWR, I said it weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces, not 6.7 pounds.

If yer gonna build stuff for me yer gonna have to get the advertising right or I'll find someone else.

Just for that, you're not getting the trigger back.

Sounds like a damn good build, if it's that light and shooting that well. Trigger sounds good too. One thing I don't like about the $79.99 RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger, is I always have to polish them to get rid of the gritty feeling in the first stage. If I could bypass that and just buy a good comparable trigger for about the same price, I'd be all over it.
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/13/18
Thanks! Jeff
Posted By: dla Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by dla

Yep, that's a long time to wait. But probably worth it, if you aren't in a hurry...

I guess I misunderstood LaRue's writeup. I thought they were putting in a dedicated trigger line so that you didnt have to wait a month.

I can buy a Ruger 452 Elite and have it in three days ($99). I would love to see a comparison between the MBT and the 452. I have a 452 and really like it.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/13/18
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

I guess I misunderstood LaRue's writeup. I thought they were putting in a dedicated trigger line so that you didnt have to wait a month.

I can buy a Ruger 452 Elite and have it in three days ($99). I would love to see a comparison between the MBT and the 452. I have a 452 and really like it.

That Ruger trigger is surprisingly good. It also comes with that housing and grip, so you can test it before you buy it. Pretty ingenious of ruger.
Posted By: ridge Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/14/18
You can have the Ruger in 3 days. Then the week in transit back to the factory, the week it sits there waiting to be looked at, and the week it takes for the new one to get back to you.

Mind you, I'm basing this on my long history of returning deadlined Rugers to the factory. And also Ruger's long history of excellent triggers.......

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/14/18
You can have the Ruger in 3 days. Then the week in transit back to the factory, the week it sits there waiting to be looked at, and the week it takes for the new one to get back to you.

Mind you, I'm basing this on my long history of returning deadlined Rugers to the factory. And also Ruger's long history of excellent triggers.......

Honestly, have you tried the Ruger trigger?
Nope. But I do know that the LaRue is made of tool steel and the Ruger isn't.

If you absolutely positively gotta have a trigger in 3 days, for just a bit more, it sounds like a deal. I don't know why you couldn't wait though.

Please don't think I hate Ruger, I like a lot of their stuff. It's just that a lot of that stuff I've liked and bought has let me down, so I'm a bit skeptical.
Posted By: dla Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/14/18

Two things.
(1) Have you ever seen a failure analysis on a Ruger 452? Do you know what the 452 is made from? Do you have any idea whether or not "tool steel" is a good thing for a trigger?
(2) Since you have no experience with the 452, have you read anything where they measured the 452 and MBT side by side?

Anybody can talk out their ass on this forum. But I'm pretty sure the ignore feature still works.
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/14/18
Considering a quick search shows several 452 failures and nothing but good reviews on LaRue's trigger, I'd say you need to move along and go back to the Ruger forum. Oh wait, that's where several bad reviews came from...

Here's a better review than just my thoughts.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/06/chris-heuss/larue-tactical-mbt-trigger-gear-review/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0LF_bZnOz0
Originally Posted by dla

Two things.
(1) Have you ever seen a failure analysis on a Ruger 452? Do you know what the 452 is made from? Do you have any idea whether or not "tool steel" is a good thing for a trigger?
(2) Since you have no experience with the 452, have you read anything where they measured the 452 and MBT side by side?

Anybody can talk out their ass on this forum. But I'm pretty sure the ignore feature still works.

Geez. Where do we even begin with this? How about we start off by saying that yes, tool steel is an appropriate trigger material. Don't even try, you can't win that one. You'll just look silly arguing that I'm wrong.

Hey, if you like the Ruger trigger, great. I really do hope it works out for you. I'm not going to sit around praying your trigger f*&cks up on you just so I can say I told you so. But just so you know where I'm coming from, here's some other stuff I've never seen the "failure analysis" on that's failed me:

1. The pawl in my Ruger New Vaquero that snapped in half at around 300 rounds of light 250 grain less than factory equivalent loads.
2. The transfer bar in my old Ruger Speed Six .357 that snapped in half after shooting all those .38's. (oh yeah, the factory doesn't carry parts for those older guns, so that was fun)
3. The pawl in my friend's GP100 that sheared the tip off and wouldn't index the cylinder.
4. The extractor in my then new 10/22 that just didn't work at all.
5. The trigger assembly in my Ruger American that required a trip back to Mayodan NC in less than 100 rounds.
6. The Ruger 44 Special Flat Top who's barrel was so out of time it couldn't be zeroed.

I list these things so you can understand why I wouldn't pay more money for the Ruger trigger when the LaRue is available for less. You may feel differently. Feel free to hit the ignore button if it hurts you that much.

Regards,
I guess I'm the sucker here. I should have done the search first. Here's a quote from dla just last month where he admits to being what we already knew:

#12995267 - 07/17/18 Re: How to build an AR [Re: TWR]
dla Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by TWR
LaRue's are $87 and don't need nothing...

That price is shocking! A person would be a fool to buy any other 2-stage trigger. I wish I had another AR trigger to upgrade.

Posted By: dla Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
I guess I'm the sucker here. I should have done the search first. Here's a quote from dla just last month where he admits to being what we already knew:

#12995267 - 07/17/18 Re: How to build an AR [Re: TWR]
dla Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by TWR
LaRue's are $87 and don't need nothing...

That price is shocking! A person would be a fool to buy any other 2-stage trigger. I wish I had another AR trigger to upgrade.

You're so stupid. Unbelievably stupid. But you can type on mommy's computer from mommy's basement.
Originally Posted by TWR
Considering a quick search shows several 452 failures and nothing but good reviews on LaRue's trigger, I'd say you need to move along and go back to the Ruger forum. Oh wait, that's where several bad reviews came from...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/06/chris-heuss/larue-tactical-mbt-trigger-gear-review/

Are you as stupid as ridge or do you just not look at your own links?

Ridge, a complete flipping moron, bad mouthed the 452 even though he couldn't find his pecker with a search party. You just posted stuff about the MBT but nothing on how the 452 compares. Given the volumes of MPRs shipped, I gotta believe that there are 10x more 452s out there than MBTs - there's bound to be some failures. And I've yet to read the root cause and nobody herevhas avflipping clue ehat tool steel means. Theres a lot of morons who think that MIM is bad.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR

Are you as stupid as ridge or do you just not look at your own links?

Ridge, a complete flipping moron, bad mouthed the 452 even though he couldn't find his pecker with a search party. You just posted stuff about the MBT but nothing on how the 452 compares. Given the volumes of MPRs shipped, I gotta believe that there are 10x more 452s out there than MBTs - there's bound to be some failures. And I've yet to read the root cause and nobody herevhas avflipping clue ehat tool steel means. Theres a lot of morons who think that MIM is bad.

Personal attacks don't prove your point. There is no reason for you to go full retard here but this seems to be your style. My next trigger is the LaRue MBT. I base this decision on TWR and Ridge's information points.

Here is my thinking. Statistically speaking a variety of milled tool steel parts have a better chance at longevity across the board than the variety of MIM parts made by different manufacturers. This is despite so many that plea that "MIM CAN BE just as good", which no one disputes, its just that some vendors don't do it well from time to time.

Some advice, your emotional reasoning and behavior might fit in on "The Relationships Forum" but not on a gun and hunting forum.
Posted By: ridge Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
I read dla's response an hour ago and can't stop laughing. She's extremely emotional today. Beware!

dla, your 'fire post count vastly exceeds any round count you may have. Go spend some money on ammo and trigger time. Come back when it's all expended or you've AD'd yourself through the head. You'll have more to contribute either way.
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
dla I was asked to share my thoughts on the MBT.

No one cares what you think.
Posted By: killerv Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
I have a mbt, 452, and ssa-e...452 came installed in my mpr

mbt hands down in my opinion...87 bucks is a no brainer
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Statistically speaking .

What statistics? You tossed that out like it means something.
The reason people work with tool steel is that they can't afford MIM. So if you think making parts by hand is better - you've missed out. I don't know how the 452 is crafted, but I know it works. And I know that Ruger is shipping a lot of them.

The MBT may or may not be as good as the 452. It is getting popular enough that LaRue is getting serious about production. Time will tell if the quality holds.

If someone has side by side comparison data for the MBT & 452 - I'll listen. But if somebody disses the 452 because he had a problem once with a Ruger Vaquero - he'll get shot down.
triggers are not made by hand and a CNC or wire EDM is not cheap. You are out of your depth here and emotionally tied to a product.
Originally Posted by killerv
I have a mbt, 452, and ssa-e...452 came installed in my mpr

mbt hands down in my opinion...87 bucks is a no brainer

I agree the price is great - but folks still have to wait a month.

You're the only person to have both the MBT and 452. What's the difference between the two?
Posted By: Yondering Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
Originally Posted by dla

The reason people work with tool steel is that they can't afford MIM.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Cheap, fast, or good, pick two. Based on all your posts I've read, it doesn't look like you've ever picked quality in your life, but then get upset at those who do. Some folks have no problem waiting a month for quality parts, get over it.
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by dla

Cheap, fast, or good, pick two. Based on all your posts I've read, it doesn't look like you've ever picked quality in your life, but then get upset at those who do. Some folks have no problem waiting a month for quality parts, get over it.

Uh-huh, sure, you betcha. You don't know how to define "quality" and you're confused enough to believe slow delivery means you're getting something better.

You crack me up.
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

Uh-huh, sure, you betcha. You don't know how to define "quality" and you're confused enough to believe slow delivery means you're getting something better.

You crack me up.

DLA something is very wrong with you boy. Yondering has a great working knowledge of Metallurgy, I believe he works or did work in a related field. You on the other hand don't know anything but run off at the keyboard like some kind of an expert. People see you for what your are boy, give it a break.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/15/18
Damn, what a [bleep] storm this turned into. I appreciate TWR taking the time to report back on this trigger. I may just buy one and save it for another build.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

You crack me up.

DLA something is very wrong with you boy. Yondering has a great working knowledge of Metallurgy, I believe he works or did work in a related field. You on the other hand don't know anything but run off at the keyboard like some kind of an expert. People see you for what your are boy, give it a break.

Did I insult your boyfriend? Nice to see you shaking the pom-poms for him.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/16/18
Thanks Retard
Posted By: IZH27 Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/18/18
Two years ago I put together my only AR 15. The upper is a WOA Varmint on an Anderson lower.
Round count is just over 1200 to date. My first trigger was the MBT and it accounted for just over 1000 rounds. I then decided to try a Geissele super dynamic enhanced with the straight design trigger. It has accounted for the rest of the rounds through the rifle.

My impression is that the build of both triggers is of same or near quality. However, I am not a machinist and likely overlook differences that might be obvious to an experienced eye. Functionally I expected the Geissele to stand out more when compared to the MBT. Second stage on the Geissele is approx 1/2 lb lighter but I can’t yet distinguish the difference. The MBT trigger profile is curved compared to the straight design of the SDE. Creep and break are awash to me at the moment. I can not distinguish an appreciable difference.

Maybe over time and more rounds on the Geissele help differentiate. I hope so because the purchase of the Geissele was done in part to make a comparison. My shooting with both triggers has been from the bench punching paper and hitting steel. I can’t throw any other triggers in for comparison since these are the only two with which I am familiar.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/18/18
Originally Posted by IZH27
Two years ago I put together my only AR 15. The upper is a WOA Varmint on an Anderson lower.
Round count is just over 1200 to date. My first trigger was the MBT and it accounted for just over 1000 rounds. I then decided to try a Geissele super dynamic enhanced with the straight design trigger. It has accounted for the rest of the rounds through the rifle.

My impression is that the build of both triggers is of same or near quality. However, I am not a machinist and likely overlook differences that might be obvious to an experienced eye. Functionally I expected the Geissele to stand out more when compared to the MBT. Second stage on the Geissele is approx 1/2 lb lighter but I can’t yet distinguish the difference. The MBT trigger profile is curved compared to the straight design of the SDE. Creep and break are awash to me at the moment. I can not distinguish an appreciable difference.

Maybe over time and more rounds on the Geissele help differentiate. I hope so because the purchase of the Geissele was done in part to make a comparison. My shooting with both triggers has been from the bench punching paper and hitting steel. I can’t throw any other triggers in for comparison since these are the only two with which I am familiar.

Too bad you didn't have a different Geissele, with a curved shoe to compare to the MBT. I generally run the SSA-E and buy when they are on sale. Same goes for a RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger, which I believe is a damn good trigger once you polish it just a tiny bit. Every RRA I've had has been "gritty" on the first stage and that bugs the hell out of me.... Like I said before, if a guy could buy a MBT for the price they are selling them for right now and not have to touch them (like I do my RRA'S) I would be all in for sure.. What the hell, I'm going to buy one right now and then I'll have a few good ones to compare it to.. I'll let you guys know my honest opinion..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/18/18
Just ordered mine: $94.95...
Posted By: ridge Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/18/18
Well, it ain't MIM, but I think you'll like it! lol
Posted By: IZH27 Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/19/18
Originally Posted by IZH27

Too bad you didn't have a different Geissele, with a curved shoe to compare to the MBT. I generally run the SSA-E and buy when they are on sale. Same goes for a RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger, which I believe is a damn good trigger once you polish it just a tiny bit. Every RRA I've had has been "gritty" on the first stage and that bugs the hell out of me.... Like I said before, if a guy could buy a MBT for the price they are selling them for right now and not have to touch them (like I do my RRA'S) I would be all in for sure.. What the hell, I'm going to buy one right now and then I'll have a few good ones to compare it to.. I'll let you guys know my honest opinion..

True. Curved trigger would have been a more accurate comparison. As well as I can recall the MBT felt nice and smooth out of the box. I’m sure that a little polishing would make it even better. I look forward to your review since I have limited potential for comparison between different brand triggers.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/19/18
Been using the MBT for over 2 years, and have no complaints for a 2-stage. I like the fact that it's tool steel instead of MIM (for warm & fuzzy, but no science to back that up), and doesn't have any little bits or screws to come loose, or a cassette that could get jammed with dirt and grit.

Some mentioned RRA, but I'm leery about their IFMA dealings. Call me crazy, but the whole thing seemed shady.

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/19/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Been using the MBT for over 2 years, and have no complaints for a 2-stage. I like the fact that it's tool steel instead of MIM (for warm & fuzzy, but no science to back that up), and doesn't have any little bits or screws to come loose, or a cassette that could get jammed with dirt and grit.

Some mentioned RRA, but I'm leery about their IFMA dealings. Call me crazy, but the whole thing seemed shady.

Hey ol buddy. I'm glad you came to this forum. Feel like shooting some 10 shot groups? Check out the moa all day long shoot here. I know you are a good shooter. Should join in, if you have a place to shoot.. I see Pharm got out and shot today, but I don't know where? NF is shut down here and in WA until sept 30 I believe..
Posted By: 4th_point Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/19/18
What's new Laurence?

TSF is still open, but my rifles have been collecting dust. Got a new bow, and archery season is one week away.

Will have an OBR .308 and NF to setup at the end of September for a buddy, after archery season. Will also try some new loads in my 18" PSA. Still just shooting 75gr Steelmatch in that rifle. For the money, it's good for plinking.

We don't spend much time at 100. What are people getting at 300+?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 08/19/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point
What's new Laurence?

TSF is still open, but my rifles have been collecting dust. Got a new bow, and archery season is one week away.

Will have an OBR .308 and NF to setup at the end of September for a buddy, after archery season. Will also try some new loads in my 18" PSA. Still just shooting 75gr Steelmatch in that rifle. For the money, it's good for plinking.

We don't spend much time at 100. What are people getting at 300+?

[Linked Image]

Not sure. We shoot 2 10 shot groups on the same sheet of paper. I know you are a damn good shooter. You may find it fun, even though it's only 100... Give it a try. I'm holding out until they open the damn NF up, so I can shoot... Good luck on your archery hunt my friend...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue MBT trigger - 09/07/18
Just ordered mine: $94.95...

They just sent my trigger out. About a 3 week wait.
© 24hourcampfire