Home
Posted By: SU35 Good after market trigger? - 07/23/19
What is a good after market AR trigger that won't break the bank?
Originally Posted by SU35

When reliability and durability are factored- Larue MBT.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/23/19
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Yep. Agree completely .
Posted By: SU35 Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/24/19

Thank you very much!
LaRue MBT is good. Good price and easy install. Makes going bang a pleasant experience. It is all I need for a fighting rifle!
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/24/19
I'm switching out a few Geissele G2S's if one of those would interest you for $100 the LaRue is a good trigger too but I'm going to single stage Geissele's.

PM me if interested.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/24/19
LaRue

/thread

Buy their little action block, and install the trigger and a mil-spec grip and break it in watching tv

MBT-2S

Trigger Action Chassis
I really like the LaRue mb2.

The more i use this rifle the more i like it.
The MBT2S is a great trigger. I ended up giving mine to 79s here. I use RRA 2 stage varmint match triggers in most of my rifles. I also have a Geiselle SSAE and have used the Geissele G2s and Armalite national match trigger. The one i keep going back to is the RRA when its on sale for about $79.00... The 1 downfall to these triggers is they always seem to be a bit gritty on the first stage. It doesnt take much to clean them up though.
How do you clean up the RRA to get rid of the "grit." Got instructions?
Posted By: RDW Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/25/19
I have not noticed any issues with the first stage of any RRA two stage trigger and I have a half dozen, I do prefer the varmint model.

A more expensive trigger won't cut my groups by any significant about so I have not bothered with anything other than the RRA.
I installed a Geissele single stage trigger in my nephew's AR back in 2017. He loves it. I shot the rifle with the new trigger, and I thought it was as good as one of my bolt guns' triggers.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/25/19
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How do you clean up the RRA to get rid of the "grit." Got instructions?

Half the time a couple hundred rounds cleans em up. If not, stone, lightly, the engagement surfaces, LIGHTLY to shine them up. Don't change any angle, don't go to deep, just kind of polish the surface if you will. Beyond that replace the rivet in the disconnector with something? I already forget what we did there sometimes, and work on the springs a bit for first stage weight. Beyond that it got to be a bit if sear engagement if there was creep, but I won't touch sear engagement unless quite a few rounds have been fired first. And then I don't tell how I do it, if you don't know, its best to leave it to someone else honestly. You have to be REALLY careful. Of course if I can figure it out, I always think its not rocket science at the minimum.
Posted By: JPro Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/25/19
My hunting AR10 wears a RRA varmint and I think it is great for the money. I've not noticed any creep. I prefer two-stage triggers on autos.
Posted By: hanco Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/25/19
Originally Posted by JPro
My hunting AR10 wears a RRA varmint and I think it is great for the money. I've not noticed any creep. I prefer two-stage triggers on autos.

I have these also, I like them
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/25/19
On the RR NM, replace the rivet with a SS pin that is just short enough to go between the inside of the lower. This way it can't fall out like some of the older ones did. It's a good trigger, I ran several of them over the years.

For a 2 stage I'll take an S7 tool steel LaRue any day over the MIM RR. At $87 it's hard to beat.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/26/19
I wouldn't trash a RR for a LaRue, but I'm putting LaRue's in new lowers.

I've put 10s of thousands of rounds and dry fire cycles through RRs. They are good.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I wouldn't trash a RR for a LaRue, but I'm putting LaRue's in new lowers.

I've put 10s of thousands of rounds and dry fire cycles through RRs. They are good.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd ever wear out any of my RRA's, and I shoot a lot. Someone asked what I meant by fine tuning the RRA's. I'm picky when It comes to triggers. If I don't like them, I'll pull them and get something better. I notice when the trigger isn't super smooth and clean. Some guys don't shoot enough to even pick up on that kind of chit and that is probably good for them. I basically do exactly what rost does. Just a little polishing on the sear engagement areas. That's all thats ever needed. I don't change angles or remove material. No need to on a good trigger. And the RRA varmint match that is on sale most times for $79.00 is a great deal. Like I said, I had a MBT2S. It is a very nice trigger, but when someone says I prefer it over something else because it's made out of tool steel blah blah blah, more power to them. It's very likely they would never wear out a RRA either. I was actually using my Geiselle SSA-E last night and I don't notice much difference between it and my fine tuned varmint match triggers. I will say I've had other triggers that I really didn't care for, that included the CMC, bcm, and other mil specs that were garbage, like the ones they put in most factory guns...

For the guys wanting a great trigger, it looks like the MBT-2s went down in price. Now $80.00:
Larue tactical MBT-2S trigger $80.00
Originally Posted by RDW
I have not noticed any issues with the first stage of any RRA two stage trigger and I have a half dozen, I do prefer the varmint model.

A more expensive trigger won't cut my groups by any significant about so I have not bothered with anything other than the RRA.

I've tried and owned more expensive triggers and you are absolutely correct..
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/26/19
RR has gotten better for the most part but I had one that the rivet came loose. Looked around and ADCO was fixing them withe the captured pin, that's where that idea came from.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/26/19
so far no other trigger I have is as good as the hiperfire reflex.
I researched this before I bought an aftermarket trigger for mine.
I went with the Velocity 3lb. In both of my AR’s. Great trigger.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/28/19
Originally Posted by TWR
RR has gotten better for the most part but I had one that the rivet came loose. Looked around and ADCO was fixing them withe the captured pin, that's where that idea came from.

OT a bit, but RRA came from armalite employees... if you think RR had issues at times, the old armalite triggers were worse...
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/28/19
The first Armalite triggers were copies of Millazzo and not bad, I have a buddy who had both but they were forced to change. Of course that was "back in the day" and there was only a handful of aftermarket parts. Nowadays there's so many triggers out there, I couldn't list them all, much less try them all.

Definitely lots of good options available now.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/28/19
One of the first Armalite triggers out is the version we had. Not nearly as well as the milazzo at all. After that IMHO, they got worse. At least for the cost at that point.

I can take cheap and work with it, to save. I can take not cheap and have it work right away. I can't deal with not cheap and having to work on it to get it right.

I still have trying all the triggers on my bucket list so to speak. But I have no clue why. Mostly to see about all the others folks rave about that I just have in the back of my head ain't gonna be a good trigger. LOL. But it will cost me and with my new adventure in life I have to be a ramen noodle person for a number of years upcoming.
For $80, stellar reputation/CS, and zero tweaking....not sure anything ‘beats’ the Larue stuff. You’d spend a lot more to get enough better that it’s noticeable.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/29/19
zero tweaking is a misnomer. almost NO trigger goes into an AR without some minor stuff to get it perfect. Getting it good, well that can be done by drop in and shoot.
Last year about this time I found out about the MBT2 and the "blowout" LaRue was conducting, right here in these forums. Although I didn't need a trigger (was using Geiselle and Jard in my ARs), I bought a couple thinking that I'd resell them a couple of years down the road after prices went back up. That turned out to be about a $2000 mistake...seeing them homeless on my shelf got to me after a few months and I ended up building a pair of .243 LBCs. I gotta say, I love the trigger and I'd use it exclusively from now on. Hopefully I won't be tempted to build another gun. That's why I'm trying to get rid of all my spare AR parts. I'm just too susceptible to the build-a-gun bug.

I still have a few parts to get rid of and will be relisting the remainder in coming weeks.

Oh...and that LaRue Trigger Action Chasis was too good a deal to pass up. Don't think I really need it but I've got one on the way this morning. Reading this forum can be expensive.
Originally Posted by rost495
zero tweaking is a misnomer. almost NO trigger goes into an AR without some minor stuff to get it perfect. Getting it good, well that can be done by drop in and shoot.

For $80, good to very good (depending) is all I was referring to. If we’re talking great or perfect, then yeah, there’s polishing/honing involved, at the least. I work over most all of my stuff, but there’s not much to any extra that I’ve seen needed with the larue triggers, and none is absolutely necessary for them to meet their intended purpose. That was my only point....not crossing over into ‘perfection’, out of the box. Don’t know of any I’d consider perfect. I do know it’s hard to beat that Larue for $80 and straight out of the can.
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/29/19
Did they drop the price again? The last 4 I bought were $87 plus shipping...
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 07/29/19
Oh they did drop it to $80
When the Larue came in i just swapped them out.

It comes with 2 springs.

I put the 556 upper back on to sight in a new scope and am still getting used to a good trigger.
Posted By: dla Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/01/19

Well you don't know either the reliability or the durability (you were just pontificating) but you did get lucky and recommend a good trigger.
Originally Posted by dla

Well you don't know either the reliability or the durability (you were just pontificating) but you did get lucky and recommend a good trigger.

Are you really this stupid, or just a stupid troll?
SU35 didn't say if he wanted a 2 stage or single stage, For me if I had to use a 2 stage I would sell my AR's and find something else to shoot.
To me the best single stage is a JP trigger. a bit difficult to install but worth the effort. I recently put this trigger trigger in a new lower. much better than any RRA NM or most of the others mentioned here
Posted By: dla Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by dla

No, I'm just good at shutting down feucktards.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me the best single stage is a JP trigger. a bit difficult to install but worth the effort. I recently put this trigger trigger in a new lower. much better than any RRA NM or most of the others mentioned here
Did they ever fix JP triggers? I had one about 2005 and the trigger pull weight was highly dependent on the hammer spring weight. Getting it down to a decent weight caused erratic ignition.
I have two Hiperfire Hipertouch Elites and one EDT 2 which I believe is now called the Designated Marksman.

I prefer the Hipertouch Elites all around. They can be found for well under $200 online if you look hard. I don't know if that will break your bank or not though.

Dan
Posted By: rost495 Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/02/19
Originally Posted by boatanchor
SU35 didn't say if he wanted a 2 stage or single stage, For me if I had to use a 2 stage I would sell my AR's and find something else to shoot.

I can fish a fly rod, spinning, bait casting, spin cast and cane pole. Spinning reel can have the handle on either side. There is a lot to be said there.

BUT we all have preferences. I used to despise 2 stage until I shot them as the only one available in M14... and learned to understand them and then decided I really like them, especially in competition and even in hunting, but I'm not stubborn enough to swap all my non 2 stage bolt guns to single stage just because I like 2 stage also.

Just learn to work with it for the most part and it will work fine.

That said nothing wrong with a great single stage if its safe. I've never pulled a JP that was worth the effort, but I'm always willing to learn for sure.
I used a CMC 3lb. drop in trigger for my Bushmaster M-4 and it made a world of difference in how my rifle shoots.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/02/19
LaRue MBT2
Posted By: alibi Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19
I’m currently shooting a Wisconsin trigger company mk X. Awesome trigger. Basically a newly built Millazzo Krieger trigger. 11/10 would recommend.
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

No, I'm just good at shutting down feucktards.

Talk about Irony.
Originally Posted by dla

Both. It's the reason I've had him on ignore forever. Dumbass.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
LaRue MBT2

Just got one installed this week.... best firearms related $80.00 I've invested.... probably ever.
Posted By: dla Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by dla

Both. It's the reason I've had him on ignore forever. Dumbass.

No, you're just too stupid.
Posted By: dla Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19

Talk about Irony.

Did I insult your boyfriend? Or are you really so stupid as to believe what he wrote? Do you know? Could you know?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19
Originally Posted by Dantheman
I have two Hiperfire Hipertouch Elites and one EDT 2 which I believe is now called the Designated Marksman.

I prefer the Hipertouch Elites all around. They can be found for well under $200 online if you look hard. I don't know if that will break your bank or not though.

Dan

I am very impressed with the hiperfire.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
LaRue MBT2

Just got one installed this week.... best firearms related $80.00 I've invested.... probably ever.

Thats a great deal. I almost bought another one.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by Dantheman

Dan

I am very impressed with the hiperfire.

A local AR shop had nothing but good to say about the hyperfire trigger.
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/03/19
I hate to say it but I tried a buddy's ALG that had springs changed and several rounds to polish the edges and it was almost as good as my Geissele SSP triggers. Maybe I'm not as picky as I thought...

I still recommend the LaRue even at twice the price.
Originally Posted by TWR
I hate to say it but I tried a buddy's ALG that had springs changed and several rounds to polish the edges and it was almost as good as my Geissele SSP triggers. Maybe I'm not as picky as I thought...

Im wondering why you are getting rid of all your G2S trigers? Are they really not that good. The last one i tried was pretty good.
Originally Posted by dla

I’ve seen more than 40,000 rounds fired with Larue triggers this year alone.
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/04/19
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

Im wondering why you are getting rid of all your G2S trigers? Are they really not that good. The last one i tried was pretty good.

The G2S triggers are a little better than the LaRue to me. I just wanted to try something different and bought a single stage precision from Geissele to see for myself for non precision guns. Then I bought a flat faced one to see for myself. Both are excellent triggers and I got both on sale. I will probably buy another flat faced one for a Colt 6720 that has a G2S in it now but I'll wait till they go on sale again.

I try lots of things AR related cause mine is the only experience that matters to me. I've tried Jewell, Millazzo, JP, Rise, Armalite, BM, RR, tuned stock, CMC, Timney, G's and LaRue along with a few others and still think G is a good buy but LaRue for $80 is a better buy if money is considered.

Heck I even tried an Apex in a Glock but figured out Glock is probably best with Glock internals. Not everything needs a match trigger.
Posted By: TWR Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/04/19
Oh and I still have G2S's in 3 of my guns now. I won't get rId of all of them.
Originally Posted by TWR
Oh and I still have G2S's in 3 of my guns now. I won't get rId of all of them.

Thanks for the answer. I will say, i was using the ar i gave my dad and i put a cmc single stage in it before i gave it to him a year ago. I never got a chance to try it, until just the other day. Its also a flat face trigger and is far more comfortable and easy to use than i thought it would be. I could probably get used to it quite easily.
Posted By: RDW Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/04/19
LaRue MBT2

Interesting, I was unaware of a second sub-100.00 trigger and will try the LaRue to compare to the RRA...the stock PSA 10.5 trigger might be 8 lbs on the light side.
While a good single stage is a good hunting/precision trigger, so is a good 2-stage.....at least I find no practical differences, merely tactile differences on the user. You just run the triggers and run the guns. I’m enough used to either for both precision and speed work that I really don’t consciously think about it. It’s just subconscious, I guess. You can make arguments for either, but in practical use, provided the shooter knows either trigger well, I haven’t seen enough speed or accuracy difference between them to say one is definitely better.
Originally Posted by RDW
LaRue MBT2

Interesting, I was unaware of a second sub-100.00 trigger and will try the LaRue to compare to the RRA...the stock PSA 10.5 trigger might be 8 lbs on the light side.

Right out of the box, i think you will like the mbt2s better. To me (maybe only me) the RRA is always gritty on the first stage. However, the RRA 2 stage varmint match is one of my favorites. Like ive said before, after fine tuning. Now with the mbt2s at the same price point as the RRA, i figure why mess with the RRA. $87.00 was an excellent deal, now that they are $80.00, thats even better!
Posted By: SU35 Re: Good after market trigger? - 08/06/19
I bought the LaRue and could not be more pleased.

Great trigger for the money.
© 24hourcampfire