Print Thread
Hop To
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have been having several click, bangs with some Hornady HMR ammo that is about 4 or 5 years old. About 10% per box. Anyone else having this problem? 2 different rifles, one new. Lot number H23P03

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a few that just didn't fire, but no hang fires..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by blanket
Have been having several click, bangs with some Hornady HMR ammo that is about 4 or 5 years old. About 10% per box. Anyone else having this problem? 2 different rifles, one new. Lot number H23P03
I didn't have hangfires but on two seperate occasions I had squibs where the priming compound fired but failed to ignite the powder and left bullets stuck in the bore. This was back in 2007 or 2008 so probably not the same lot number. I got rid of the damn thing shortly after the second incident and went back to my .22 mag..

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Blanket: Stop using that ammo and contact Hornady - every and I mean EVERY one of my dozen plus Ground squirrel Hunting partners has had "issues" with the older Hornady ammo.
I have not, and I don't know why - just lucky I guess.
Great harm has come to four of my friends 17 HMR Rifles - the folks at Hornady replaced their ammo and repaired their Rifles (two Volquartsens and two Ruger Model 77/17 V/T's) and rotary magazines.
Hornady will also provide you with safe to use lot numbers.
In addition to broken guns there have been minor injuries involved with these incidents.
Other guns of friends have been disabled with bullets stuck in their barrels and separated brass cases stuck in chambers.
Supposedly the problem has been corrected with that ammo?
I have been shooting my 17 HMR Rifles for 14 years now with (knock on wood!) no problems!
These "hang-fires" sometimes cause lodged bullets in barrels and follow up shots cause harm and on other occasions instead of the bullet firing there is "detonation" of some kind or out of battery detonation which has destroyed two Ruger laminated plywood stocks to disintegrate.
I was along on one of the Hunts when this happened and I saw the other splintered (and otherwise damaged Rifle!) stock after the fact.
It was scary.
Good luck - call Hornady Monday morning for direction and replacement of your ammo.
And again stop shooting that ammo - please.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I didn't have hangfires but on two seperate occasions I had squibs where the priming compound fired but failed to ignite the powder and left bullets stuck in the bore. This was back in 2007 or 2008 so probably not the same lot number. I got rid of the damn thing shortly after the second incident and went back to my .22 mag..

That's fascinating.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I would call Hornady.

Let us know what they say.

Thanks,
Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sent a message to Hornady, will update with what they come back with

B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
When brass is worked this thin, relative to the wall thickness of the case neck, it can become inconsistent and you can have some necks or even just a portion of the neck/case mouth become hard. Once this hardness starts to occur the powder can start to absorb moisture from the atmosphere and can lead to the issue you have described. Please determine how many rounds you have from this lot number and contact our Technical Services Dept. at 1-800-338-3220 and they will be happy to help warranty the ammo if needed.

Thanks,

TZ

Hornady's answer

Last edited by blanket; 01/31/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.