Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Grayling and I find ourselves with some huge surpluses in certain areas and I thought it might be a good idea to spread some of the "wealth" around. I would suppose others here must have some excess, too.

Off the top of my head, we have an entire caribou hide that would be real easy to cut chunks from if anyone would like some. Obviously it will not be tanned, but we can dry some pieces easily. Moose mane is also handy. Don't try elbowing in on the caribou mask as HG has declared dibbs on that! grin

We get chenile in skeins and most are a lifetime supply for several tiers, so I will post a picture of some of the colors we have...

Anyone have any ideas on making this work?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've got tons of moose and deer hair if anyone wants some.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
You can count me in; I have lots of stuff I don't use anymore. I'm keeping my eyes open for some male Hooded Merganser flank feathers.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Qtip
Just might be able to find some of them... quite dark brown, slightly yellow with black bars?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
The ones I had were a dark chocolate brown with black barring. Gorgeous feathers and they make nice wings on some patterns.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've only shot one hoody in my life but saved the flank feathers somewhere around here. If I can dig them up their yours.
Cast

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
COOL idea, Artsy!

I don't have any materials to swap.....but I give great 'chick' advicegrin....

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would love to see the Hoody flank feathers....waaaaaaaaaaay cool...and I bet they really do make for some cool wings, QTip.

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One ideal would be for someone to get all parties interested and start a traveling box of swapping materials....someone puts in their goods and sends it to the next in line ....... that person swaps a few things for some of the boxs' things and sends it on to the next and so forth ....it ends back up to the person who started it and they swap out some materials and then they donate what is left over to a scout group or whatever......there will be alot in the box.....the folks who are involved, post here as to the where abouts of the box as it travels........

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Whoever puts in the jungle cock neck, send the box to me next!!!!! grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
cast
Still have a complete junglecock skin from the '60s. Saw one at a fly shop a while back and it depressed me... to the good of some though. They must be growing them somewhere as the price was under $50 for the cape. I should have bought it.
art

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Boots,
A traveling box is a fine idea, but the problem I have is the volume of some items... Moose mane would be easiest to send direct to the recipient... And a whole caribou hide awaits the asking... Even if we trim some out of our Lifetime supply it will only mean someone else has a Lifetime supply, too!

A lot of what I am looking at is simply moving some of our good fortune to someone that will use it, no return requested.
art

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow, that was a steal, art. Can hardly buy decent grizzly necks for that! Last time I checked, (been awhile), jungle cock had gone from well over a hundred to "sorry, can't get em".

Have you done anything special to your 40 year old neck to preserve it that long, or was just keeping it sealed up enough?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2' square of elk hide. Hairs are about 1" long, should be good for EH caddis. It's not from the rump though. Looks like shoulder with some armpit attached. No problem getting more from my taxidermist.

Doug~RR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least one of our 'Firemates owns peafowl.
I don't know what he does with their dropped feathers, so I won't put him on the spot by name, but I can PM him if their is interest.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK, well the first person to PM me an address gets the traveling box. Someone get on it!

Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
OK, Elf got me first. I'll get it out in the next couple of days. How much stuff should I put in it? I will mark what each thing is.

Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Way to go Elf!

I need Tiemco hooks, who has a surplus? wink

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I have to fess up that in digging through all my stuff I couldn't find the hoody flank after all.....bummer.

The one thing that I use the most of that is tough to come by at times is wood duck flank. Since I started tying with it I've only had one crack at a drake woody and I was so busy thinking of finally having a big bag of feathers that I choked the shot. blush

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
macrabbit
They are some heavily used feathers, for certain, but the idea was not to pressure anyone, just to mix some things around a little... We are long on tail feathers, but some body feathers are quite useful, also.
art

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 31 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.