-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have a Mauser with the Bell and Carlson Medalist on it? I can't find very many good pictures of them. I've got a Charles Daly/Zastava barreled action that needs a stock, and I can't make a decision on which way to go. Boyds or Bell and Carlson. I'd love to see some Bell and Carlson setups if there are any out there!

God Bless and Shoot Straight
GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got one in the safe somewhere. On the whole the B&C stock is solid but a little thicker than I'd prefer on MY rifles. A tad heavier too. On the other hand, most of the Boyds stocks, especially the laminates are heavier and have more wood in them than is needed. At least with the wood stock, you can whittle them down some. Boyd's non-laminated stocks are a utility grade wood in my experience and not particularly attractive. If those were the only two options I had, I'd look at the B&C.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can attest to the fact they stand up to 458 recoil

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by z1r
I've got one in the safe somewhere. On the whole the B&C stock is solid but a little thicker than I'd prefer on MY rifles. A tad heavier too. On the other hand, most of the Boyds stocks, especially the laminates are heavier and have more wood in them than is needed. At least with the wood stock, you can whittle them down some. Boyd's non-laminated stocks are a utility grade wood in my experience and not particularly attractive. If those were the only two options I had, I'd look at the B&C.

Thanks--I had narrowed it down to the nutmeg laminate, fleur de lis checkering, black fore end tip, and decelerator pad. I agree about the weight, as I've got one of their Prairie Hunter stocks on my M77.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This is an FN 338-06 that I've posted before. I picked it up here on the Classifieds, reworked the bedding and painted it.

My gunsmith thinks it's an early B&C, and I tend to agree. It is a bit thick but works well. The B&C forearms aren't as stiff as McM, so I had to leave a bigger gap to free float.

They are plenty strong and if this was a .458 WM, I'd probably have Steel Bedded the lug and action. As it is, std. Acraglass should be sufficient.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks good, like it will handle anything you could throw at it. Thanks for posting!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by the444shooter
Looks good, like it will handle anything you could throw at it. Thanks for posting!

So far, it has...

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I dropped my FN 9.3x62 into one and took it to Africa in 2002. I did not bed it and the combo was accurate.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 1948 F.I. FN in a Medalist. The barrel is very heavy for a sporter on that one. Total weight with a 3-9 is about 9 3/4 pounds IIRC, but it's a fine shooter.

I mistakenly ordered the FN commercial/Zastava stock for rifles with a hinged floorplate and had to hog out a good bit of the bedding block for the plunger that holds the slide-off version. Also had to fill the relief cut for the side safety, since I'm still running the wing. Had to do a lot of sanding to float that stout barrel too. I bedded the shank. Used stone-texture paint which gives a good grip and no shine. Ain't pretty, though I think it's maybe a bit comelier than Mr. Phil's .458, not a high bar!

The Boyds can be whittled down, but the Medalist is easy to patch and paint when you need to hack on it for fit; a toss-up I guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have both Boyds laminated and older B&C, like both as utilitarian good value. Both are heavier than other options. Boyds laminated should be slimmed down. Hogue overmolded stocks with the bedding block are better drop-ins IMHO.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for weighing in--I was seriously considering the Hogue w/ full bedding block as well, but I just like the lines of either the Boyd's or the B&C. If my crystal ball is correct, my A.D.D. will make me get both as I decide. Then I'll have to find another gun to stick in whatever stock I don't use (probably a Mauser in 9.3x62 since I was reading the 9.3 in Alaska thread.) It's a vicious cycle.........

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a bell and Carlson stock I broke, totally my fault.

The replaced it no questions asked.

I love bell and Carlson.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've had a couple of them but not on Mausers. The geometry is just about perfect for me, but as others have noted, they're heavy. I'd consider one for cartridges that kick harder than the 30-06.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Custom Mark X .376 Steyr with dipped Medalist

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What do these things weigh, roughly?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weighed mine last night and was surprised to read 2.3 lbs. Felt like more. Perhaps its girthy proportions lead me to believe it weighed more than it did.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This is an FN 338-06 that I've posted before. I picked it up here on the Classifieds, reworked the bedding and painted it.

My gunsmith thinks it's an early B&C, and I tend to agree. It is a bit thick but works well. The B&C forearms aren't as stiff as McM, so I had to leave a bigger gap to free float.

They are plenty strong and if this was a .458 WM, I'd probably have Steel Bedded the lug and action. As it is, std. Acraglass should be sufficient.

DF

Not sure what it is but I don't think that is a B&C stock. Too streamline and the wrong checkering pattern, looks to be something nicer to me. Pacific Research maybe.

Not that a B&C Medalist isn't a nice stock.

Kent

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks like it might be their carbelite stock?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by the444shooter
Looks like it might be their carbelite stock?

All of those that I remember had the 4 point checkering, not sure I can even remember a Carblite with a cheek piece.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 2500HD, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,032
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.