-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I am going to start here as did not find any Forum for Satellite communications questions. I’ve owned a SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker single message device for so long can’t remember when I first bought it, been quite some time ago. It has rescue & emergency loaded messages on it and have sent pre-loaded messages back home from some difficult places, but SPOT keeps raising my annual fee, called and cancelled my up coming annual service. Think it’s time get some better communications device. I’ve been reading up on the Garmin in-reach explorer (have had good luck w Garmin devices, owned a Rino 610 & a great way to map, track and communicate w a hunting partner w their Rino 610- a great piece of technology).
Been reading up on the newest Spot messenger also as now they have some Safety use plans also., but doesn’t look like it can load maps. What I’m looking for is anyone w personal experience w Spot Messenger pros & cons or the Garmin in-reach explorer pros & cons.
Been pulled toward the Garmin only because of that mapping feature, love having a map of the area right on the same device, where I hunt here in Wyoming this is almost a necessity at least sure would be given an emergency or at least a great advantage. Feel free to PM me also, not on everyday but am interested in opinions on both units before I spend $$$ for a better unit w newer technology.
Any help from you is greatly appreciated, thx Sid

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tag

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I had a spot device that worked at the trailhead, then went quiet for six days. I was solo in SW montana hunting elk. Wife finally gave into her concern (after six days!) and the end result is I paid for a $1000 helicopter ride for a MT friend who flew to the trailhead and hunt area just as I got out of the woods...

I now have an inreach, and appreciate the ability to receive confirmation from my various recipients.

For what that's worth.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a SPOT for several years. It wasn't uncommon for my "check in" messages to arrive 3-5 days after I sent it, despite clear skies. I dropped that device and plan.

I now have an InReach, and it is significantly more reliable, as far as getting messages out. It also has the ability to receive messages back, so if your designated message receiver responds to your message, you KNOW your message got out. There's no way to get that confirmation with a SPOT.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my inReach Explorer +. Here in Alaska I am often out of cell range and the ability to send and receive text messages is a big plus. SOS function is why I purchased it and I'm confident if I ever need it, I'll be a happy hunter, camper, etc. Mapping is very good along with the Earthmate app on my iPhone. The app also makes sending and receiving text messages a lot easier. JMHO

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tag

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ihave the inReach, but it is the InReach Mini, we also use the same model for our local Search & Rescue team. It works in concert with your smart phone and the Garmin Earthmate App. Very happy with mapping ability, tracking, messaging and ability to allow others to follow your track, same for SOS capability.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve been interested in the Mini, how much is the satellite subscription ?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you all very much for your reply’s, helps me make that decision, I’d worked for Stallion Oilfield Services for over 13 years, they own Starr-Com and I was allowed to carry one of their Sat Phones as I traveled, I was training throughout the region, but unfortunately had to give it back when I got laid off at end of March. Enjoyed the security of knowing it was in my company vehicle. Not real sure I’d afford that Satellite phone monthly service so got to go the I believe Garmin in-reach explorer +, I think it’ll be worth money at the time, I will also opt for their flexible service plan, purchase in late spring and run thru hunting season, thank all of you for your input, Sid

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I seen it n the Garmin.com site, look there for referenced costs, I simply found the device and see link to service plans below the shown device.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, Sid

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, Sid

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, Sid

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
+1 with Doug on my experience here in AZ with the InReach by Garmin/DeLorme.
Wife insisted I get something back about 12 years ago as I go alone. Tried Spot and now have the InReach. Much happier.
I carry the basic plan and it is about $13-14 a month which is adequate for my usage. Fees based upon number of texts you plan to send aside from your "Prerecorded"/stock ones. If needed I would gladly pay the additional fee (50 cents per, IIRC) for extra texts.
Has several "prerecorded" stock messages plus others you make up, that you can choose on their website, that won't cost extra - Like "AOK this Lat/Long", "in for the night", "need mechanical assistance this Lat/Long", "Got one down this Lat/Long", and more frequently "no Joy" cry etc. as fits your situation.
Texts can BlueTooth from cell to satellite even if out of cell cover. In coverage area, you can include your own cell to receive the message and have confirmation of message sent/received.

Tried the SPOT for 4-5 years but frustration with unreliable/weak signal, satellite acquisition times, delayed messages, limits of flexibility on messages, no maps, no acknowledgment of my send, etc sent me looking for alternatives. Fortunately never needed it for emergency.
Good luck
Joe

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Here in AK I use the Inreach after trying spot and having the same issues/complaints mentioned by other posters. I will add that amongst folks here you see about 1 spot for every 100 inreaches.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Spot uses the Globalstar satellite network and InReach uses the iridium network. Everyone I know who uses satphones relies on the iridium network.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes sir, lot more dependable !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.