-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was wondering if anyone has had this experience before. I have a 35 year old Fort Knox safe with a dial combination. I have developed a method for spinning the dial that I have used for a long time. A few months ago, I was rushing to open it, and the safe would not open. I tried the combination multiple times, attempting to be meticulous about stopping on the correct digits, but not using my usual technique, until it opened. I chalked it up to being in a rush. This happened again a few times since. Today, I had time to mess with it a little. I added one digit to the first number and used the same second and third numbers, and it opened fine. I added half a digit to the first number and used the same second and third numbers, and it opened fine.

I get the impression that my method of opening the safe over the years has created some wear that caused some slippage in the mechanism. Does anyone have any experience with this and, if so, is this a problem that should be addressed? Thanks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

A
ATC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a Canon safe that the middle number changed by 1 about 5 years ago. When I researched it, they said DO NOT spin the dial fast, just dial in the combo. Haven't had a problem since.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I am guilty of spinning the dial on mine.....glad to know not to!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ATC
I have a Canon safe that the middle number changed by 1 about 5 years ago. When I researched it, they said DO NOT spin the dial fast, just dial in the combo. Haven't had a problem since.

yep, it can change a tumbler or more than one.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mines weirder yet......

I have an older Browning. Rather than the usual spin the dial counter clock wise 4-5 times, I have the spin it clock wise one number short of 3 times, then go through the normal sequence.

I was scared to close the door for quite a while till I figured that out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure glad digital locks don't do that crap.

"Guess what your combination is THIS week, and win a prize!"

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a safe after moving it changed the complete code. Had to drill it to get it open. Can't explain it

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Smooth consistent movements usually produce a more harmonious outcome.

Or, patience Grasshopper.

Rushing mine leads to a fail 9 outa 10 times.

I have the most trouble with my 25 YO Amsec when I've had a few. Is it trying to tell me something?

Knocking on wood here, it's been a goodin.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not too often cycled Liberty mechanical, have to subtract 1 from all three numbers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cheyenne;
Good evening to you sir, I hope that other than your safe being recalcitrant, that all else is going as well as can be all things considered and those you care about are healthy.

This is going back about 6 years here now, so I'll apologize if I get some of the details wrong.

Our work safe which had been in an industrial shop office for a quarter century began to act up in a similar manner.

After figuring out a couple ways to cheat the thing, such as mentioned by other posters - turning it counter clockwise or whatever it was - one day it simply refused to open on me.

Since we were a manufacturing facility, I got another chap, we dollied it onto a pallet and forklifted it onto the company pickup and took it down to the locksmith - to save a call out charge.

They said that it was dirty, showed me where the plates in the locking mechanism which were brass if memory serves, had a build up of verdigris where the lube had worn and they'd oxidized.

The locksmith did a thorough cleaning - if it wasn't carb cleaner then something similar - I THINK - and then they lubed it with a lock lube.

It worked fine after that until it was sold when the company downsized and had an auction of spare machinery and equipment.

Again sir, if a real locksmith says I'm wrong, then please take their advice and disregard this message entirely.

Hopefully that made sense and might be useful. Good luck with it regardless and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was told by lock smith, it's a sign of your lucking device waring out.
Mine was doing this too. One day, I could no longer open it. The LS came to my house he opened it for me and changed out the locking system.
I push a few ### now it opens every time.

I hope none of you get locked out of your box.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had a safe (Liberty) refuse to open after having moved it. Just at the point I started to panic I thought to go on the company website. They gave instructions for a procedure to follow if that happens. I tried it. It worked. Haven't had a problem since.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I'm sure glad digital locks don't do that crap.

"Guess what your combination is THIS week, and win a prize!"

I know. Digitals just completely crap out and not work at all

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the wide variety of perspectives offered so far. I will call Fort Knox and see what they say about it. They claim to have a lifetime warranty to the original owner, not that I have a 35 year old receipt.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.