-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two of the best things I've used for carbon are BreakFree CLP, and the second is new to me - CRC brand GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. This cleans the nasty carbon build-up from intake runners and valves on GDI engines. I've used it on shotgun gas pistons and it dissolves carbon amazingly well.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Everything is a learning process.

Did NOT want to ship for factory cleaning...

Did NOT want to be overly aggressive with chemistry (per manufacture recommendations).

Slow and steady learning process over 3-4 days.

Knowledge gained:

- CLR is great stuff (be VERY careful with aluminum... manufactures say DO NOT USE... I did very carefully... I see no metallurgy harm. (FYI, you can harm metal with chemical... I cleaned some 45 acp brass once with chemistry and structurally harmed the brass to the point where it had to be loaded double extra hot and donated to BLM/ANTIFA).

- Dry parts allow CLR to do it's best work.

- Ultrasonic at 160 degrees and 30 minutes and carbon does come off (even with the sealed ThunderBeast and Bowers cans (avoid all sealed cans (NO REASON TO EVER BUY ONE... (I was new and did not know any better))).

- Run for a couple of hours each night... then dry overnight/next day... then CLR soak on DRY can/parts... then another Ultrasonic at 160 degrees and 30 minutes (repeat 3 or 4 times)

- Old welding rod tube is great for a CLR soak

- You WILL damage the anodize finish if your tube is not in a stretchy sock thingy (I did... no bigger for me... just saying).

- I will reassemble with fresh Buna Nitrile O rings and copper anti-seize.

- Pic below is the FORTH water change. Probably enough carbon came out total to BBQ a couple of nice backstraps.

- I will probably do a FIFTH water run before reassembly.

- Note to self (clean more often - Shoot Less)... never-mind dat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Final thought... marry a good wife that is OK with you doing this stuff in her kitchen.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the suppressors that allow for disassembly really disassemblable when they are dirty?

Was at the range and a guy shooting with a suppressor needed my help to get it off his rifle.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by grouseman
Two of the best things I've used for carbon are BreakFree CLP, and the second is new to me - CRC brand GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. This cleans the nasty carbon build-up from intake runners and valves on GDI engines. I've used it on shotgun gas pistons and it dissolves carbon amazingly well.

Good point. I did a "homemade" Kroil mix (acetone and ATF)... that soak helped with the necessary breakdown of the Lane can (beating with a hammer on a wood dowel and old barrel extension stubby... It took a very harsh effort to get the monocores out of the tubes)...

I witnessed no metal damage from the "homemade" Kroil mix. I suspect "BreakFree CLP, and - CRC brand GDI Intake Valve Cleaner" would be equally safe, but do not know personally.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
an ultrasonic like that is on my soon-to-buy list. i want it for cleaning carbs and other greasy crap.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Final thought... marry a good wife that is OK with you doing this stuff in her kitchen.

Yes! Add that to the ever growing list of reasons.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Are the suppressors that allow for disassembly really disassemblable when they are dirty?

Was at the range and a guy shooting with a suppressor needed my help to get it off his rifle.

YES... Depending on your use...

Some do not get that bad (fast heavy stuff like my 300s and 340s mags) leave less carbon (everything is VERY HOT there).

But my .452 and .458 stuff is all big slow sub loads (Trail Boss, Lil Gun and 2400)... that stuff is like baked on molasses.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I toss my baffles into a rotary tumbler with SS pins. Comes out squeaky clean every time.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I watch all this with interest, and on the strength of CIK comments have ordered a 15L unit.

I have been using ultrasonics for years, and have several of the smaller ones. They are just outstanding for deep cleaning fishing reels (although once I ran one a bit long and removed all the paint off a vintage Pfleuger fly reel, yikes!) and for carburetors, tools, eyeglasses, rings/jewelry, rod guides and much more.

So thanks to all who have contributed to this topic so far! Super informative.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Added for information sharing:

The only downside to Kroil I've found so far is it turned one of the tubes on a .22 suppressor a purply tint after a long soak. Doesn't affect the function and I couldn't care less about the color. May not have done that had I not soaked it as long.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by killerv
I just did the baffles, they say to use only the Dot 5 due to its silicone content, not the 5.1 etc.

Dot 5 treating

Thanks for that article.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the detailed thread.

We had a test unit at an indoor range that ran on a Full Auto M-16.

They waited until 5000 rnds and the mono core didn't want to come out.

CLR soaked for 3 days before enough carbon came out to unscrew the core.

It is not a bad plan to weigh suppressors when new and keep track of how much internal build up is happening.

Maybe clean after 2 oz of carbon build up?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Thanks for the detailed thread.

We had a test unit at an indoor range that ran on a Full Auto M-16.

They waited until 5000 rnds and the mono core didn't want to come out.

CLR soaked for 3 days before enough carbon came out to unscrew the core.

It is not a bad plan to weigh suppressors when new and keep track of how much internal build up is happening.

Maybe clean after 2 oz of carbon build up?

I can see that...

I suspect (educated guess)... 5,000 rounds of 5.56 rounds is probably equal to my .458s at 500 rounds. Just a WAG. (goo factor I mean... your powder is HOT and flashes off better...).

I am POSITIVE heat is more of a problem for you... than me.

My subs (350 grain to 730 grain) never heat a can very bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT... everything is back together now. Copper aintiseize on disassembly threads for the future.

There was some very minor pitting on the bare SS monocore (presumably from the CLR)... nothing bad, but definitely there...

SO... Cory was right... limited your time on bare SS and be very very careful with aluminum.

Anodized metals seem unaffected by the CLR... as does the Titanium.

5th water run on the Ultrasonic came out 30% clear. I am calling it a success. First two runs were crazy nasty.

I will clean my can more frequently now.

If you care about your finish put those stretchy sock thingys on your can while they are in the Utltrasonic Cleaner.

167 degree was the hottest temp I went.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/12/22. Reason: More info

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.