Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just assume give her neither! <grin>

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That looks alot like a sheep camp but I don't see any sheep and anybody can carry a set of horns up the mountain for a picture. grin

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Went and did it now, here come the sheep pics........

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is it too late to delete?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heres some pics of the ....

Gotcha!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yes you did!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Good one AC. That's not easy. Mark it down.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have also plugged up my barrel with snow or mud, I had this little twig that was real handy until someone put me onto the tape thing, wow! was that an improvement and saved me a lot of digging. smile

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
+1!

NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We cut the fingers off of surgical gloves and put over our barrels and use rubber band to hold them on.We just got back fom Canada on caribou hunt,we really needed them there it rained,sleet and snowed almost every day.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I criss-cross two pieces of tape across the end of the muzzle for a double layer and then wrap on longer strip around the barrel to hold the ends of the first two strips intact. The third piece of tape wrapped around the barrel also serves as backup tape to cover the end of the muzzle should I shoot.

I was bear hunting with a buddy 20 years ago on the Kenai Peninsula. Both had bolt action rifles and were carrying chambers empty, magazines full. When my buddy went to chamber a round from the magazine, his bolt wouldn't close on the cartridge. Turns out a twig had fallen down the length of his barrel into his chamber. Not enough room for both the twig and the cartridge in the chamber... thus the bolt wouldn't close. Fortunately the bear wasn't coming after us at that point in time.

Just another reason to tape, and I've been taping ever since. Read this whole thread and the best reason I've seen for not taping was Horse...... Water.

I guess if you're gorrilla tough, you could hunt with one finger shoved down the muzzle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tape, duct tape I have used for years. Quick glance at the end of the barrel confirms bore is unobstructed from the muzzle. I tear two 3/4" wide and four inch length tape and make an "X" with them. Once the shooting has ended, I tear a piece and patch over the muzzle for the next days adventure. Once home clean up the gun. Using tape will let the muzzle fade over time, seems some moisture will find its way under the tape. A rifle that has many years of traveling the tundra and hillsides will develop a slightly gray finish on the metal. Kinda like my Lab that has a white goatee under her chin or crows feet around the eyes of a long and experienced hunter facing the wind and sun.......character marks!

Focus on the leading edge!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
'tween the mud(blackjack) and twigs and grass seeds,I tape. I use red and green and black and purple. 'pends on the gun of the day!!!! laugh cool cool cool

George

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the drug store sells little finger covers that look like little condoms. they work perfect, crazy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow, I still can't believe the comments on the finger condoms and surgical glove tip uses.... That never holds up in the brush, BTDT.

Maybe a dishwash glove would?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
By the time the bullet clears the barrel the tape, which has been blasted off by the gases that escape first, is long gone, so it will have 0 affect on p.o.i. I learned to put tape on the end of the barrel 30 years ago when a buddy shot at a really nice buck in Idaho and instead of killing the buck, pealed the barrel of his .300 Wheatherby into four nice strips. It seems that some twigs had fallen into his scabbard going through brush and trees on the horses and one of the small ones had lodged in barrel as he took the gun in and out over the course of the day. The good news is that he wasn't hurt and the buck (which was about 350 yards away) hung around long enough for me to put it down. It is now on my wall, along with the barrel from my buddy's gun.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Several comments about the bullet going through the tape or hot gasses melting thru it are, I believe, incorrect. It is the compressed air/shock wave ahead of the bullet which punches through.

My .338 is Mag-Na-Ported. Tape doesn't seem to affect this function either.

A word of caution- should you Mag-Na-Port a Ruger International, or any other full-length stocked rifle, be sure to cut the stock out in the area of Mag-Na-Porting, or you will splinter the heck out of it up there. Ask me how I know frown.

If the pressures will destroy wood, mere tape has no chance at all.

It took me two days two remember the quote and author (I have only one muzick neuron, and it's retarded.) Mac Davis - It's Hard To Be Humble _ "It's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way" Also " Some people say I am egotistical, but I don't even know what that means; I think it has something to do with the way I wear my skin-tight blue jeans."

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Wow, I still can't believe the comments on the finger condoms and surgical glove tip uses.... That never holds up in the brush, BTDT.

Maybe a dishwash glove would?

+2

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even the Realtree.com folk advocate taping . If you click on the link and then look under the "How To" section you'll find a short segment about taping I should also add this is a great site for seeing kill shots.

http://www.realtree.com/realtreeonline/index.php

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,675
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.