-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I wanted to test the expansion of the new Impact Bonded 140gr 6.5mm offering from SPEER. I thought others might appreciate this and have been curious. After conducting load development a few weeks back, I set up some water jugs at my range. I know water jugs aren't the best testing media, but its what I had at my disposal. The water jugs were placed at 100yds.

Details of the load is as follows

Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 - 6.5 Creedmoor - 22inch barrel

SPEER Impact 140gr Bonded

Lapua 3x fired large primer brass

Federal 210 match large rifle primer

41.1gr of Reloder 16

​Muzzel Velocity of 2721 fps.

Here are the results. The bullet was caught in the 5th row of jugs.

[Linked Image from i.vgy.me]

HR IC

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures. Thanks for doing it. Bullet should be damn good.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like an accubond, thanks for he test.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. That looks like a winner.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speer "Accubond" !

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
Speer "Accubond" !

Wouldn't be surprised if it really isn't any different than the hotcore.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks like it should work great on game

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by anothergun
Speer "Accubond" !

This one is supposed to be bonded, hot cores aren't.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Speer "Accubond" !

I'm aware of that, maybe what I should have said is it doesn't perform any better than the hot core.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Speer "Accubond" !

I'm aware of that, maybe what I should have said is it doesn't perform any better than the hot core.

Well, the jacket and core stayed together which hasn't always been the case for other hotcor bullets ive shot and tested in the past. Time will tell. If they kill deer well then I'll buy more. Im hoping that SPEER branches out and starts making this bullet in 7mm dia versions

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER
Speer "Accubond" !

Well, the jacket and core stayed together which hasn't always been the case for other hotcor bullets ive shot and tested in the past. Time will tell. If they kill deer well then I'll buy more. Im hoping that SPEER branches out and starts making this bullet in 7mm dia versions

They stay together long enough to do the job, isn't that all that matters ? Really don't know why people are so bent on that much integrity of a bullet and expect it, to the point that they feel it won't do the job, that it always done before. Shot placement is key, regardless of how good a bullet is constructed... in the vitals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
think I will hold off buying any for a while. Wait to see if they last any longer on the market, than deep shocks, and deep curls. Speer’s track record with new bullet designs is not impressive.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anothergun,

Your right, HotCor do a great job killing deer. I like them so far with what I've loaded them in (6.5mm 140, 7mm 130/145/160, and 8mm 150/170)

I was only saying that the new Impact is different than the HotCor.

Personally I could care less that a bullet is bonded or not, I just really wanted to try them out. Based on my load development and jug tests I'm impressed.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
anothergun,

Your right, HotCor do a great job killing deer. I like them so far with what I've loaded them in (6.5mm 140, 7mm 130/145/160, and 8mm 150/170)

Personally I could care less that a bullet is bonded or not, I just really wanted to try them out. Based on my load development and jug tests I'm impressed.

The bullet still sheds weight like the hot core, not impressed, and it’s considered a premium bullet higher priced.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anothergun,

The bullet still sheds weight like the hot core, not impressed, and it’s considered a premium bullet higher priced.

The impact sheds no more weight than an Accubond when you look at percentage of weight retained. The impact bullet is branded only as a premium bullet for SPEER, but yet they are still cheaper by far than anything Nosler puts out and arent really that much more than most hornady offerings. You have to make the choice of whether you want to try them for your rifles and needs. I only put the info out there as a review. Im not getting paid or compensated by SPEER to turn you into a customer. Buy them or dont, your choice, It matters none to me. If the bullet remains available and SPEER continues to put bullets in the hands of consumers then I consider it a win. Thats more than anyone can say for Nosler or Sierra because both of those companies have bullets listed in their catalogue that havent been seen for YEARS.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for doing the testing and sharing your findings.
R

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anothergun,

The impact sheds no more weight than an Accubond when you look at percentage of weight retained. The impact bullet is branded only as a premium bullet for SPEER, but yet they are still cheaper by far than anything Nosler puts out and arent really that much more than most hornady offerings. You have to make the choice of whether you want to try them for your rifles and needs. I only put the info out there as a review. Im not getting paid or compensated by SPEER to turn you into a customer. Buy them or dont, your choice, It matters none to me. If the bullet remains available and SPEER continues to put bullets in the hands of consumers then I consider it a win. Thats more than anyone can say for Nosler or Sierra because both of those companies have bullets listed in their catalogue that havent been seen for YEARS.

Thanks for the review! I waited a longtime for Speer to put those bullets out in 6.5 and they always were listed as "overdue" by several online retailers. I wound up purchasing the 6.5 Sierra 130gr. TGK for my 6.5 X55 Barrett and my CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. I've had good luck with Speer Grand Slams .277/130 and .284 145/160 and some hot core in .284/145. Looking forward to purchasing some of these Impacts for my 6.5 PRC and keep the TGK's for the 6.5X55.

Thanks again!

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wonder how they compare to the 140 Gold Dot? I like the Gold Dots and they seem to hold up well. I got a super deal on a bunch a couple years back and I have shot several deer and one elk with them.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I wonder how they compare to the 140 Gold Dot? I like the Gold Dots and they seem to hold up well. I got a super deal on a bunch a couple years back and I have shot several deer and one elk with them.

Not sure. I don't have any of those to compare so I have no experience.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 54 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,571
Posts18,510,737
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.