Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here are a couple of pictures of a 204 case that was out of an AR 15... any idea why the case with the blown primer, also has a Weatherby "belt" on it...

a case was fired before this one, that does not have enough recoil to automatically cycle the bolt on the AR... is this possible by the previous shot partially cycling the bolt, and then the following one, cycling it the rest of the way and then some.. causing a head space issue and the belt being formed along with blowing the primer?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for your guys input on this...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn, glad it was you and not me pulling the trigger...looks like you were fortunate nothing worse happened. I can't tell you what caused this, but it looks like the belt must have been caused by ignition before the case was in battery. Is the neck really stretched? or is it just an optical illusion? That poor head really took a lickin...you did not mention if these were factory loads or hand loads. I'm sure some of the pros will weigh in in the morning.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
should not have fired anyway without the bolt closing... firing pin or trigger issues maybe? not wanting anything bad to happen to you just really glad it wasn't me smile

post on the AR section also, may get an immediate "this happened to me"....

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WOW... I've never seen something like THAT...

DO NOT fire that rifle again until someone who knows ARs checks that out..

You're lucky, this time..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the one on the right would tickle my short hairs. the one on the left would dirty the works smile

woofer

MtnHtr
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Looks like it fired out of battery.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tom264
Looks like it fired out of battery.
Indeeeeedy do....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Gotta be impressed that case held together like it did though.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
any idea why the case with the blown primer, also has a Weatherby "belt" on it...
Interesting how the case on the right has a line right where the top of the "belt" is on the case that appears to have a belt. I'm wondering if this is related to the machining processes of the case or to the chamber of the rifle. I can't imagine the case would have fireformed that way in a baddly cut chamber and stayed intact. I'm also wondering if other cases exhibit less belted dimensions but are still out of spec enough to cause the short cycling you mention. I think I would be contacting Hornady about their brass, particularly if the chamber is cut correctly.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It did not fire out of battery unless both cases did, or it would be longer from streaching. if both cases are the proper length then you have a bad chamber which is what I suspect.

Send the rifle to the person that did the chanbering before you lose an eye or worse, it is totally unsafe. crazy

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I saw this over in the AR section and offered my inexpert opinion there. Will post it here for consideration.

Being a dropout from the redneck shadetree school of gunsmithy it looks like to me the cartridge head protrudes too much from the chamber in that particular rifle. Headspace may be or maybe was correct but case is unsupported near the case head from a too shallow of a chamber. I think the 'belted' round also had a pressure excursion-the brass must be tough or it would have completely blown. I don't know what the breech end of an AR barrel should look like but in this case it must look like the famed Rem 3 rings of steel with a recess for the bolt nose. Plateau Hunter

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm curious...were these cases some of your Blue Dot handloads?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is so strange is that the cartridge on the left has an almost perfectly shaped belt, as from a factory belted cartridge.

It is difficult to believe that the case formed so perfectly from an accident.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
After thinking about it some more wonder if the chamber was cut with a .20 Tactical reamer and subsequently the rifle was assembled and headspaced with a .204 gauge? Would that give a situation such as this? It is strange that the other cases looked pretty normal. Maybe the heavier case pushed the pressure over the edge to get this result in a short chamber. DPMS ought to take a look at this rifle and its .204 reamers imo.

Personally I don't think it fired out of battery as the case should be much longer and should have ruptured. A pressure spike at time of unlocking is way down the road from ignition and should have blown the bolt and carrier thru the buttstock right? Plateau Hunter

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
what would happen if the bolt chambered the round but failed to lock? the round is fired and the whole shebang goes backwards a few thou'. i still dont understand the perfect rim. it almost looks machined....

or, what if the firing pin hung up and never fully retracted? bolt shoved the case most of the way in and it fired before fully locking up. primer blows and case fly backwards bending things all up....

dunno'. i wish i knew more about ar's....

woofer

MtnHtr
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not so sure it was out of battery.

It looks like excess pressure for sure though.

I'm thinking if it was out of battery, the shoulder would be moved forward and the neck would be shorter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Maybe it didnt fire out of battery, but how about this....as the bolt slammed home it didnt fully lock and the gun was fired, upon firing since it was'nt locked it started cycling the bolt while the chamber was full of pressure causing the last part of the shell which is now exposed to start to expand causing the "belt"........maybe?????

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just run the case through a die and toss it in with the rest; I'm sure it's fine.

:-)

WOW. Scary stuff. I agree with the guys saying figure that out before shooting it again.

It pretty much has to be a slamfire, right?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know the history of the rifle, but is it possible that someone might have tried to rechamber it for use with a belted case, then didn't tell anyone?

The way that belt is formed on that case looks too precise to have been fired in a rifle with the bolt partially open.

If you can, could you measure the case on the belt and the rim and compare that measurement with the base on the normal case?

If the belt is larger than the case body, then there has to be a recess somewhere that the brass expanded into, to form the belt.

I am not familiar with the AR, but does the bolt face or the rear of the chamber have a recess or cut out that the case could have expanded into?

Another question. Was this cartridge actually fired in a rifle chambered for the .204 Ruger? It looks like it was fired in a rifle chambered for a belted case.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm wandering if the squib load fired before this one left the bullet in the barrel. Cause's high pressure on the second shot, which is also a squib. Bolt partially retracts, case begins to deform, second bullet pushes first bullet out of barrel, pressure bleeds off before anymore damage done. Look inside the barrel for a bulge ring. Sound feasable?

I don't know much about AR's as they aren't my cup of tea, so everything is a guess. Whatever happened, I believe you were being watched over from above.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 50 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.