Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
yooper1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
What is a good and easy fish batter that you guys use ???I realy like breading on pan fried , But for deep fried ya got ta have batter!! Any good good beer batter recipes ????

Last edited by yooper1; 08/26/08.

I,d rather be LOST in the woods than FOUND in the City
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fast easy and available in just about every store in MI is drake's batter mix. Just add beer.

http://www.drakesbattermix.com/

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I prefer make-your-own beer batter: Mix COLD beer together with any brand complete pancake mix to form a stiff batter that will cling to your fish. Keep the fish and the batter very cold til you are ready to fry. Then, dip and fry....and ENJOY. (Note: Fish should be DRY when dipped: Cold, dry fillets...dipped into beer batter...fried @ 360 +/-....GOOD EATS)

Note: This same approach works well with wild turkey chunks and rabbit...especially with snowshoe hare.

Good Luck,
GPA

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one utilizes beaten egg whites and the result is pretty amazing.

http://www.chow.com/digest/450

You may also want to search on http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/ or
the http://www.foodnetwork.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky Madsens Canadian Pub Style beer batter is the best store bought batter I have tried thus far. Mix it with a good ale, like Midnight Sun's Kodiak Nut Brown and you will be in heaven. I searched all kinds of recipe sights and stores and tried lots of different brands but this is THE best I have eaten.
http://www.fishcrisp.com/fish-crisp.html#

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll think of something better to put here.

Last edited by rob p; 08/27/08.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
C
C
Promotional posts are reserved for paying advertisers only. If you have any questions or would like a rate sheet, please contact advertising24hourcampfire.com.

Thanks for your professional courtesy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isn't this blatant advertising? I thought that was illegal on here.

Sassy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Sassy.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are these guys advertising or just answering the question? Or am I missing something here?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One is, one isn't.

rob_p has 1500-plus posts, is a well-known member who posts on a variety of topics, and is obviously passing on information and resources that he recommends.

ccorces1 has 11 posts, and 4 of them have been "promo'ed" by me because of their, shall we say, opportunistic content.

One is, one isn't.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry folks. I don't own shares in either company, but I was trying to show a little local pride in that RI has the best fried clams, calamari, smelts, scallops, (LA, you can have the best shrimp), and Krispee is really the best I can find here. I don't know if it's on the shelves where you are, and wanted to be useful. If I was mistaken, I shall remove it. I am very sorry.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rob that comment I made was meant for the guy advertising Las Vegas not you. His was a blatant advertisement that Rick removed. You were giving your opinion of a product. Big difference unless you own the company. Sorry if I offended anyone except that ccorces1.

Sassy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing for you to aplogize for Rob. The other post is obviously just a spammer. I wonder if you fry spammers in oil if you can get a good Spam Musubi? grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't think beer batter was tough enough to NEED a recipe, but what the heck...

I simply add cold beer to Bisquick, add a splash each of lemon juice and Tabasco plus a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix just a bit thinner than for pancake batter.

Dip in cold pat-dried fish (or onion rings, chicken, quail, squirrel, rabbit, green tomato slices - you name it) and fry. Hard to beat.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the course of my life, I can honestly say I've never tasted Spam. I have had Vienna Sausage both heated and fresh from the can, which has to be worse. The beer batter thing, I have had a few problems with. Now I saw Paula Dean just stir warm Mexican beer into flour and batter fish with it. I've tried it and got a thin batter that floats off. More flour doesn't seem to make things any better. Now I've whisked freezing cold soda water into tempura flour and gotten a nice batter, but I have tried beer a few times with mixed results. Now a bag of the fish batter I mentioned earlier and a little water, I like that. I used to fry calamari and smelt with pepper rings or a little olive oil, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes. The batter is really good for that.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have eaten a lot of Spam....even thought, on occasion, that I liked it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about beenie weenies? I learned to read to the pages of Cliff Worth and Don Shelby and the Adventures of Harry and Charlie. I even have the bound editions from BASS Magazine. I grew up believing that Beenie Weenies, Nabs, Moon Pies, Slim Jims: food of Bassin professionals everywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a can of Spam and fry it Rob. Then you will have unknowingly eaten every bit of offal that you never wanted to think about. grin It's really not bad fried and works well diced up in fried rice. Spam is huge in Hawaii. Go figure.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Other than beer and pork rinds, fishing food for my guys included, among other things, SCOOTER PIES....a local version of moon pie, I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 34 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,619
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.