Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story. Were you in Washington?
What bullet did you use in your 270bee?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great write up man. Those Garmin 530s are handy. Everyone in our hunting party carries them. Nice to know if something happens when you split up that the guys can find you if needed.

Glad to see that the tipi worked out so well. Been considering one of those as well. What size stove did you have a in thing?

Congrats on a great hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent post!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now that is a deer hunt!

Great post/pics!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love both the story and the gear report! Your wife must love you very much to allow you to gear up to that extent in just one year!!

Congrats!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Partagas
Great story. Were you in Washington?
What bullet did you use in your 270bee?

Thanks guys, it was a fun year and I got a ton of great pictures.

Nah, not Washington on this one (Rocky Mountains).
I use a 140 Gr Accubond (factory Weatherby Ammo). I've found weatherby to be a very consistent factory load (I also like the 150 gr. spire points). Both loads shoot very well out of my Strata and my Wby ultralightweight (both 270 roy) and both seem to put 'em down quick.

Last edited by AHM; 11/02/08.
AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
What size stove did you have a in thing?

I got the large stove and was very happy with the selection...it holds longer pieces of wood which burn longer. We could get it going for about 3 hours without restocking it. It took a couple days to get the hang of that stove. The 8 man with liners and large stove could easily be broken up between 3 guys to pack in, so if you'll be having 3 or more people and staying for a few days at a time, get the large stove, you'll be thankful if you hit cold weather.

Oh yeah, and on the tipi, we ended up using a tarp (I think 10x12) for a floor (left some open dirt towards the door and cut a rectangle around the stove. We also each had carried up a 7x3 piece of tyvek which we used to fill the other dirt spots. It was nice to have a floor to keep things from getting too dirty. We ended up taking our boots off when we came in to keep the melted snow from making small puddles in and around our stuff. We put rocks around the stove to try to get them hot and hold heat, but they worked better for setting things on. Oh yeah, and I carried up a tiny set of pliers to adjust the dampers on the front of the stove when it's too hot. I didn't want to melt or damage my gloves and it can get pretty hot.

Last edited by AHM; 11/02/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been fortunate enough to take some pretty cool hunting trips, but remain jealous of you guys that go with friends/dad/brothers. Great write-up, and pics.
Thanks, and here's to many more,
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docdb
I... remain jealous of you guys that go with friends/dad/brothers. Don

You have it right. Hunts with family you love are the best. Some of my earliest memories are of my Dad carrying me on his shoulders as "we" hunted squirrels in hard woods. Then nights by a fire as I grew older, his pride in my first buck. My sons with me on hunts when they were little, then their hunts and animals as they became better hunters than I am. I'm more proud of my son's nice buck and his elk this Fall than anything I get.

And now I get to hunt with the grandkids. The oldest one helped pack out his dad's deer, about 4 miles, when he was nine, after a night in a spike camp at timberline. We can talk of specific trees, rock outcroppings and remote mountain chutes with familiar detail among us. These are deep abiding experiences, and I wish every hunter could be in such a family to have them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AHM
We all felt like our balls were a little bigger after the trip, a sure indicator of a successful hunting trip. Livin' well.

Ain't no better way for one to make known the true magnitude of his masculinity.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Awesome. You got to love Kifaru tipis. They are sweet and stand up to the abuse. I have the Kifaru Supertarp.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,988
Posts18,520,076
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.