Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I decided to make my Model 19 6" my new go to backpacking gun, so I'll be in the market for a holster.

In past threads I have heard mention that many prefer a shoulder holster as opposed to a belt holster, has anyone had a problem with such a set-up with a backpack on? I'm thinking about a vertical carry model since the revolver has a 6" barrel.

Is it a pain having the pack straps so close to the revolver, either on the hike, or putting the pack on and off?

What do most prefer out on the trail, a shoulder or a belt model?

Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is mostly personal preference and part decided by your pack. I'd personally try a few holsters on - preferably with your pack with you if the store will allow it - and see how they ride with the pack. I've been looking at a leg drop holster myself as it would be the most out of the way spot for me.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a Bianchi 5BHL for my model 29 that I think would just be the kitty's hiney for the backpacker.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=5BHL

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

I'm having a 454 super redhawk redone, and I like
this for a holster for packing.

no I don't own it yet, but I like it !!!!

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/sh/sh7b.html

the straps look like they will hold well
and not interfere with a pack ...

but you never know till you try :-)

Talon

Talon
in the land of fruits and nuts
ruled by veggies
governed by Arnold
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a big part of the reason I bought the holster in this thread.
With a full backpack on, a standard hip holster is out of the question for me. Otherwise, most of my hunting is done wearing both a daypack and my survival fannypack; again, a set-up that doesn't fit well with a hip rig.
I've had great luck avoiding strap complications, using the referenced Bianchi rig and my old Lawrence spring holster. I'd only warn you to be careful about the sort of holster strap that gets pressed into your shoulder by your pack straps, especially under load. Not too thick, not too narrow, not unbeveled, and no hardware there.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barkoff read this thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2676233/page/1#Post2676233

It pretty much covers the subject you're asking. I would recommend one os Simply Rugged Holster's Chesty Puller setups as I have one for my Tuarus 44 mag.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/index.html

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would look at fitting a holster to your pack belt. I would also prefer crossdraw personally. I would think a simple cordura with retention strap would meet your needs.

NRA Life Member
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like the paddle holster idea since I'll always have a pack on while carrying. Trouble is I'm finding it tough to find one for a 6" model 19

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barkoff - that's a lot of gun to carry while backpacking, but I suppose you have your reasons.

I have been through this pretty thoroughly, and you can start by eliminating all shoulder holsters and all belt holsters. The shoulder holsters get snagged in your pack rigging. It's just no good. Belt holsters will be a problem every time you take a break and sit with your pack on - especially with such a long barrel, and even if you can put it on your pack belt (which is better than strapping the belt over the holster on your trousers).

I've tried a kydex paddle with my pack belt carrying a M60. Didn't make me feel confident about the gun being there when I need it - but depending on your personal setup, it might be a workable option.

I have tried three methods that work pretty well...

For a large handgun, I have used a "tanker" style holster with success. It keeps the gun out of your pack rig and in fairly easy reach. Also keeps it out of the way when sitting, and it can be had with a flap - which is a plus for extended outback trips. Uncle Mike's has a line of 'em, and someone above mentioned Simply Rugged's "Chesty Puller".

I often use a map pouch that clips between my pack straps across my chest. It just happens to have a pocket that I can fit a mini-pistol such as my PF9 or my Beretta 21 into. It's a good option for anywhere I might want to conceal a gun while backpacking. Looks like what it is - a map pouch. No one questions it - and if they do, out comes the map in it's waterproof case. Look to your backpacking suppliers for examples.

Leg holsters are an option while wearing a backpack, but they put the gun down where I have a tendency to drag against things while walking and sitting. They also tend to collect debris while crawling through the underbrush or tall grass. If you don't have those issues, you might do fine with one. But if you do - you might want to look into the Summit Leg Packs. I use one with medium-frame handguns. It makes the gun a bit less accessible and you have to get crafty and rig some kind of holster inside it - but it keeps the gun covered and dry and out of my way. The added benefit is that it adds capacity to my pack gear and at a lower center of gravity. And again - it doesn't look like a holster.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh - I forgot to mention...

I don't like crossdraw for backpacking. It does help keep the gun out of the way while sitting, but the butt-forward position tends to snag shrubbery where I often have to walk. If that isn't a problem for you, then rigging a crossdraw holster to your pack belt might work.

IC B3

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Right now I have a .45 that I carry when I pack, it has a nylon holster with a pouch for an extra clip, and a clip that slides over by pack belt. Whenever I take the pack off, I take the holster off first to avoid it slipping off, then put it back on when I am on my way.
Easy on, easy off.

The reason I decided to make the 19 a pack gun was pretty simple. The old man kicked it down to me, and I didn't pay for it, and I like that it does have bit more punch than the .45 considering the growing population of black bear up in the Sierra.

I might have to buy myself a waist holster and rig some sort of strap contraption for my waist belt. I do have a couple of friends who are wizzards with a sewing machine, so maybe I'll have to figure out a custom set-up.

Regarding the saddle holsters, don't they slide on and off pretty easy? I don't mind having to take the gun off first before I sit down for a rest.

I have been to quite a few sites so far, and still haven't seen a paddle for a 6".

I'm pretty sure a shoulder holster or a Chesty puller set up won't work out well for me with a pack and binoculars, so I'm down to a waist or pack belt set-up.

I guess if I can't find the paddle, my first choice will be a nice leather waist holster, try it out with my packs and see how the system rides. If it isn't a fit I guess it is tme for me to get creative and create something.

Hard to believe with all the guys who hunt with 6" revolvers, there isn't more demand for a holster to be used with a pack and binocs.

Thanks again.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Barkoff:

Does it have to be a holster? If a quick draw while you're walking with your pack isn't a big concern, you can try something like this:

A small fanny pack with the straps looped around the front backpack straps. The whole thing rides high or low over your abdomen. You can unzip it fairly quickly. It's weather-proof. And it's discrete in locations where you might find yourself called upon to stop and chat with armed park rangers on the trail who don't really need to know you're carrying.

Or so I've heard.

- Tom

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've tried lots of ways to pack a handgun while on the trail. If you don't have a pack that is designed to handle a holster and insist on packing your handgun in one, get a pack designed for a holster. See Bianchi or Kifaru.
Any good belt holster works for me with one of these packs. But I need to remove the handgun from the holster, which is attached to the pack, not my belt, whenever I take off the pack. Otherwise it swings around at odd angles and tend to knock around, etc.
I prefer to simply put the thing in the top pocket of my standard pack. I can reach over my shoulder, unzip the top pocket and have it in my hand quick enough to make me happy. It's out of sight, so that the greenies don't wet their panties when they see a gun and all of us are happy. E

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You might consider this one. It adjusts all kinds of ways and should be out of the way of your pack. http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/ Move your arrow over the picture and you can see it with a gun in it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CJ - I forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me. I wonder if that can be had with a flap?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They have the strap but I suppose a guy could talk to them and they'd put a flap on it. Seem to be good people.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 12344mag, 257Bob, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 12,814 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,952
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.