Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A little campfire tale about the quest for a little scope, its finding and initialisation.

Someday I got thinking (it was a slow afternoon and it was not on purpose). If I want a fixed scope with 40 mm objective, what magnification would I want. 2,5x goes with 20 mm lens, 6x is a bit much - for close shots and all. Of course I would want decent glass a duplex reticle, finger adjustable turrets, a compact overall. On the net I find : Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x40, but as all well thought out products, discontinued.
This was in spring 2008. Since I searched in Great Britain, talked to german importers - no avail.
Then on January 19, I posted here: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2742039/page/8#Post2742039
Members were very helpful and one even send a scope my way. Thanks everyone.
Today I picked up my scope at noon, mounted it by 1:00, headed for the range by 2:00, had it all sighted in by 3:00 and was hunting by 4:00. By 5:00 I had baptized my new baby with a 175lps boar.

Here some pigs:

sight in
[Linked Image]

Rifle: Marlin 336 .30-30, Federal 150gr FN circle 2 moa
[Linked Image]

Scenery (getting dark)I shot from top of the ridge. Pig is laying where I stand.
[Linked Image]

Rifle, Scope and prey
[Linked Image]

Some days make up for many others.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by cmg; 02/12/09. Reason: spelling...again

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat. Do you see many lever actions over there?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well you sure dont waste any time now do you?
Congrats on the Boar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cute, but I was inclined to have clear access to ones hammer. A 2.5X scout scope.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 02/12/09.

1Minute
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pugs, not to many, but they do have a steady following. Mostly Marlins in .444 or .45-70.

I somehow got hooked up on them 9 years ago and keep reaching for one it seems. I have bolts from .308 through 8x57IS to 9,3x64. Nice, but somehow the Marlins get used mostly.

1minute - I do have a Scout scope on my 8x57IS. You have a point about the free hammer, but I have found it not much of a deal.
Thing is, I wanted a little more light through the scope (hence 40mm Bell) than the Scout.

Great rifle, by the way. Wish you many good hunts with it.

Last edited by cmg; 02/13/09. Reason: thought of something else...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice, thanks for posting the pics. Congrats on the scope and hog.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cmg
Pugs, not to many, but they do have a steady following. Mostly Marlins in .444 or .45-70.

Always enjoy hearing about how folks hunt and shoot overseas (well, overseas from me anyway grin )

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Was hunting today again with that little rifle.
The roe deer eluded me, as did the pigs this time.
Had one sad encounter - a fox with sarcoptes - infection. The desease in deadly so I did shoot the animal. I only had the little Weaver 4.75 for identification - my Zeiss Binos are busted. Not much help from Zeiss either.

here is the fox through the scope, notice how it is itching. One can even see the fallen out hair.
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As said before, you don't waste much time. Nice set up and very cool pic of Reynard. Enjoy your new set up.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cmg,

Good job! I hope you enjoy your setup for many years!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice!

What is the green wrap around the grip?

I kind of went the other way on my inherited .30-30 Marlin. I took off a cheap 4X scope and put on a Williams peep...wasn't to fond of it and ordered a set of XS sights. I plan on zeroing it up tomorrow and will try to whack a deer with it next Fall.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Very cool post, I too was surprised at the lever 'over' there. Once again I'm reminded of my ignorance.

P.S. Those hogs are some wicked, mean looking bastards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ready on the right,

That wrap around is a cmg secret custom feature laugh

On all my Marlin (3) I crack the stocks. Never fails.

[Linked Image]

As this mostly happens in the field, I fix it with tightly wrapped string. This then works so good, that it gets left a while until finally I put washers and a cross bolt.

[Linked Image]
Sorry for reposting some pics again. I wanted to show the "wrapping".
As you see, I have ghostrings on both the Alaska and Germany .45-70.
Hope you get some good shooting out of that 30-30 and some deer.

Steelhead, yep them s wicked, all over the place and fun to hunt. Taste good too.

Thanks.

Last edited by cmg; 02/15/09.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, I'd like to see a closeup of your crossbolt fix on the stock, or perhaps a tutorial...Just In Case.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
cmg;
This past fall I repaired a cracked stock on a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. The owner's father brought it to me saying that the accuracy had seriously deteriorated and then he notices a hairline crack in the butt stock.

After seeing how the fit to the upper and lower tangs and the rear of the receiver was from the factory, I can readily see how cracking would take place, given the recoil generated. There was little contact on one side of the receiver, none on the other, the rear of the top tang taking the brunt of the recoil forces.

While I had fixed and bedded a few 2 piece stocks previously, I was unsure how much contact to make with this job, so I asked my stock repair mentor Sitka deer what he would recommend?

Thanks again Art for your advice which was yet again, spot on.

After repairing the crack and re-bedding the butt stock to have full contact on the top and bottom tangs as well as both sides of the reciever, the owner was able to shoot groups that he�d never been able to previously. smile

He showed me 3 shots into slightly over an inch with the pointed soft polymer tipped Hornady factory ammo.

Anyway, it apparently is a common enough condition with Marlins that it would seem prudent to pay attention to that detail.

Good luck with your lever actions and have a good week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics and congrats!! I'm thinking I need to look up my ancestors homes in Germany... wink

Ready Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ColdCase,

thanks for asking. I will see about details of my fix tonight.

Dwayne,

thanks for the feed back and your input. I am sure it will be needed again, as them stocks are just prone to cracking. I have 100% success, yet. 3 Marlins used regularly, 3 stocks to fix.

pointer,

never a bad idea. If you find yourself close to Berlin, shoot me a message.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cmg - nice pics!

Funny you mention lever actions. I've been looking over Marlin's in 35 Rem for the past few weeks getting a handle on prices/condition. I have a 45-70 1895 Marlin and it is good medicine for anything that really needs whacked. Am thinking a 35 Rem would make a good little brother..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pointer,

never a bad idea. If you find yourself close to Berlin, shoot me a message.
That'd definitely be the point of going! smile That and you seem to know a bit about hunting there... wink My wife likes to travel, I like to hunt, the delicate balance is trying to intertwine the two so we're both happy. I'm thnking a trip like that would work. 'Course, with a new babe on the way that'll be a few years down the road.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My like for levers and open sights grows daily.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.