Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
the Westboro "Church" has the right to do it's disgusting minstrel show at funerals, the Supremes rules 8-1 with only Alito dissenting.

a correct decision, but I really wish some non-state actor would knee cap the whole sickass family, so they'd have to protest in wheelchairs.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw that, and thought exactly the same thing. I'm really surprised there hasn't been an incident already, but I'd guess it's just a matter of time before some mourning family member gets a bit of vengeance.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The likelihood of a retaliatory incident just increased ten fold.

It was the right decision and it will simply be handled legislatively now,by each respective state.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Figures - and the decision was an easy one to predict, and in all honestly rightly so, disgusting as it may be.. However, this part:

That said, � �[e]ven protected speech is not equally permissible in all
places and at all times.� � Frisby v. Schultz, 487 U. S. 474, 479.
Westboro�s choice of where and when to conduct its picketing is not
beyond the Government�s regulatory reach�it is �subject to reasonable time, place, or manner restrictions.� Clark v. Community for
Creative Non-Violence, 468 U. S. 288, 293. The facts here are quite
different, however, both with respect to the activity being regulated
and the means of restricting those activities, from the few limited
situations where the Court has concluded that the location of targeted picketing can be properly regulated under provisions deemed
content neutral. Frisby, supra, at 477; Madsen v. Women�s Health
Center, Inc., 512 U. S. 753, 768, distinguished. Maryland now has a
law restricting funeral picketing but that law was not in effect at the
time of these events, so this Court has no occasion to consider
whether that law is a �reasonable time, place, or manner restrictio[n]� under the standards announced by this Court.

....does allow 'regulation' as to time/place.. I think there will be some serious 'regulations' coming down the pipe..

The thing about this ruling also fully protects those anti-Westboro protesters who bring their OWN signs and get right in the faces of those idiots...

And I still can't believe that church is still standing.. But that's just me..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the Westboro "Church" has the right to do it's disgusting minstrel show at funerals, the Supremes rules 8-1 with only Alito dissenting.

a correct decision, but I really wish some non-state actor would knee cap the whole sickass family, so they'd have to protest in wheelchairs.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/10pdf/09-751.pdf

+1

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Westboro knows NOTHING about Christianity. They act out of malice, hate, and conceit. They are a repugnant scourge on decent Americans.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Westboro knows NOTHING about Christianity. They act out of malice, hate, and conceit. They are a repugnant scourge on decent Americans

+1000

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I never have heard, do they claim to be Christian?

Agree, it's the right decision. Also think someday someone is going to do something very bad to those folks.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We call our parents, "The greatest generation"

I'm trying to imagine a Westboro Church-like scenario during WW2

....not having much luck with that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Okay, they have a "right" to protest mad

Does this mean you can't force them to get a permit or tell them EXACTLY where they will be allowed to stand?

Do I have a "right" to protest them... with a paint ball gun?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Saw that, and thought exactly the same thing. I'm really surprised there hasn't been an incident already, but I'd guess it's just a matter of time before some mourning family member gets a bit of vengeance.
+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to me the Westboro chuch is inciting violence given their behavior. Sure would like to be seated on the jury when someone reacts to their actions.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Correct decision IMHO, but they are going to reap what they sow sooner or later!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE
Correct decision IMHO, but they are going to reap what they sow sooner or later!
Terry, you just summed it up.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Terry, you just summed it up.

Then why can't you yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theatre? I support free speech, but it does have its limits. The definition of hate speech runs in both directions.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
falsely yelling fire isn't hate speech, it's creating a clear and present danger of injury. while one could argue....and the plaintiffs did....that the Westboro people create a danger by making people so mad they beat the crap out of them, the courts have not been convinced.

and letting the state decide what is just tooooo mean to say in public is a place we dare not go.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hate the decision, but I recognize that their rights mean we all have rights.
Stripping away freedom of expression because we don't like what is being said, means YOU or I might be next, base on someone not liking me calling hussein the national lawn jockey.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't wait till Phelps dies, just to see how many will picket at his funeral..? That might be worth the drive..!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I don't blame you you one bit........

Of all the current "stuff" going on, having to defend their right to protest is one of the most difficult.... mad

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 300_savage, 34 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.