-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
C'mon Bob...I just gave you schitt about your fleece..I wanna see what kind of hat you were wearing...... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm kinda thinking Bob didnt go on any safari...........

No pics = didnt happen.

Just saying..

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
[Linked Image]

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am lovin' it! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by isaac
[Linked Image]
Sheesh Bob, better get your hemorrhoids checked out.....you got lotsa bleeding going on.

Wooo!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I never was a fan of Jack Russells until this trip. Soffitel sat in my lap every morning for the truck rides. He's blinded in one eye by a previous leopard encounter but,if any animal was still breathing,that dog was all over it. If he saw a mongoose from my lap,he was out of that truck going after that mongoose. I think he has about 6 to his credit and a UFB encounter with a honey badger I wasted but which still lived for about 15 seconds of fight with this fearless bff of mine.Of course,my PH thought it funny not to tell me honey badgers spray,much like a skunk,only worse.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those Jack Russells seem to be popular in RSA for blood trailing/tracking ect...For some reason I expected them to larger dogs for the task, but evidently those Jack Russells do everything thats required...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've yet to meet a PH or family in Africa that doesn't have a Jack Russel. Fearless little dogs!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Tom...my PH nailed that [bleep] after we mounted a Leupy I had gifted him onto his 375 and after he fired only 4 sight-in shots. Anyways, it was about 80 degrees toward the end of a am hunt and about 60 baboons were inching their way,very slowly, to a watering hole we were sitting at. The one in the pic was a old monkey,probably the patriarch of the bunch. Another baboon, near the same size of this dead one, and the deceased were kind of leading the way on the monkey dance to the waterhole. In the meanwhile,a 37 inch gemsbok had come to the hole and Francois strongly suggested I shoot it. I just wanted to do the spot and stalk thing so I told him sorry but no and that we were going to have some fun with the monkeys instead. I told him you got the one on the left and I got the one on the right. Let's wait for them to sit side by side, looking our way, and we'll try to pull off a double. Well,at about 300 yds away, the one on the left,his target, sits on his ass staring directly towards our blind. Mine is still fumbling around but only about 3 yds away from the other. Francois says the one on the left is sitting and since I was the client, he really wanted me to shoot it. I said no,you get to have some fun too and you need to test your new scope so we were sticking to the game plan.I said go ahead and set up for your shot but first let me line up on my [bleep] for the possible double. The second I said I'm good,his immediate shot scared the ever loving crap out of me. By the time I re-grouped, got my [bleep] into the crosshairs again, there were about 80 [bleep] wailing,screaming and scattering like cockroaches when one turns on the lights.It was frikken hilarious watching those little bastards head for the hills and trees. I saw mine running for dear life,fired a wild assed shot and missed miserably. Seconds later,I looked at Francois and said that was one of the most fun hunts I've ever been on and a great way to end the morning hunt....time for lunch. Francois said he thought we should maybe go get his baboon first. I looked at him a bit puzzled at first,said no f'n way and then immediately looked down across the lake to see the lump in the middle of the desert. I couldn't believe it. He put the cross hairs about 5 inches above grandaddy monkey's head,thinking torso,but instead practically decapitated that [bleep] with a neck shot.

I didn't get my 37 inch gemsbok after that but it was worth every second of the fun I had that morning with Francois.Just one of those mornings cracking jokes,being smartasses,laughing our butts off and shooting monkeys. I don't know what it is about those baboons that gets me all giddy but I shot at them every chance I got.Francois kept cracking up that I was scouring everywhere for the [bleep] while he was searching for trophies. I was like a little kid every time I saw one of those baboons. It was actually one of the most fun days of my hunt and I had 12 very fun days. I ended up missing two baboons and two jackals total while Karen took my 338 Fed and wasted hers on her first shot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by isaac; 07/12/11.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Issac, I really wanted a big dog baboon, for the skull with those huge canines, but though we heard them screaming at us on occasion, I never laid eyes on one with the exception of while traveling to Etosha. Then, saw one perched atop a fence post along the highway-- a weird site.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Tom...my PH nailed that [bleep] after we mounted a Leupy I had gifted him onto his 375 and after he fired only 4 sight-in shots. Anyways, it was about 80 degrees toward the end of a am hunt and about 60 baboons were inching their way,very slowly, to a watering hole we were sitting at. The one in the pic was a old monkey,probably the patriarch of the bunch. Another baboon, near the same size of this dead one, and the deceased were kind of leading the way on the monkey dance to the waterhole. In the meanwhile,a 37 inch gemsbok had come to the hole and Francois strongly suggested I shoot it. I just wanted to do the spot and stalk thing so I told him sorry but no and that we were going to have some fun with the monkeys instead. I told him you got the one on the left and I got the one on the right. Let's wait for them to sit side by side, looking our way, and we'll try to pull off a double. Well,at about 300 yds away, the one on the left,his target, sits on his ass staring directly towards our blind. Mine is still fumbling around but only about 3 yds away from the other. Francois says the one on the left is sitting and since I was the client, he really wanted me to shoot it. I said no,you get to have some fun too and you need to test your new scope so we were sticking to the game plan.I said go ahead and set up for your shot but first let me line up on my [bleep] for the possible double. The second I said I'm good,his immediate shot scared the ever loving crap out of me. By the time I re-grouped, got my [bleep] into the crosshairs again, there were about 80 [bleep] wailing,screaming and scattering like cockroaches when one turns on the lights.It was frikken hilarious watching those little bastards head for the hills and trees. I saw mine running for dear life,fired a wild assed shot and missed miserably. Seconds later,I looked at Francois and said that was one of the most fun hunts I've ever been on and a great way to end the morning hunt....time for lunch. Francois said he thought we should maybe go get his baboon first. I looked at him a bit puzzled at first,said no f'n way and then immediately looked down across the lake to see the lump in the middle of the desert. I couldn't believe it. He put the cross hairs about 5 inches above grandaddy monkey's head,thinking torso,but instead practically decapitated that [bleep] with a neck shot.

I didn't get my 37 inch gemsbok after that but it was worth every second of the fun I had that morning with Francois.Just one of those mornings cracking jokes,being smartasses,laughing our butts off and shooting monkeys. I don't know what it is about those baboons that gets me all giddy but I shot at them every chance I got.Francois kept cracking up that I was scouring everywhere for the [bleep] while he was searching for trophies. I was like a little kid every time I saw one of those baboons. It was actually one of the most fun days of my hunt and I had 12 very fun days. I ended up missing two baboons and two jackals total while Karen took my 338 Fed and wasted hers on her first shot.

[Linked Image]
Cool story, is there a limit on the 'boons? or pretty much shoot what you want?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Unlimited and my outfitter and PH gifted me 3 non-trophy animals and all the jackals and baboons we could harvest,free of charge.

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sweet!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great story, got me laffin.

Always thought I was a little off 'cause every time I think about Africa......I dont think about kudu and gemsbok or gazelle and zebra.

I want hyenas, warthogs and a bunch of 'boons!
(although I would love any of the afformentioned trophies!)

Nice job and looking forward to a full report.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great story! Thx. I love the JRTs, mine has an incredible nose and is quite tenacious as well. Say the word "squirrel" and he runs to window to look in the trees.

P.S. Looking forward to hearing how the 338 Fed performed, PH observations on performance, etc.

Last edited by prm; 07/12/11.
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]
Now thats a porch monkey

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love those JRTs. They are my favorite dogs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I ended up missing two baboons and two jackals total while Karen took my 338 Fed and wasted hers on her first shot.

[Linked Image]

At least you got to work on your tan.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You just crack yourself up sometimes,don't you boy?

William Arthur Ward

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.