Print Thread
Hop To
E
Eric B Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Apologies if this is the wrong forum - please feel free to direct me to a better place.

Experienced collector of USGI and US made guns but I came across this nice little mannlicher stocked Mauser carbine.

I know "value" has been ruined due to the D&T, bolt and safety mods. Just looking for info.

Looks to be 8x57 with the smaller bore (slugs around .319 with my imperfect methods and tools).

Is it the smaller bore 8mm? When was it made? Does the "GERMANY" stamp on the stock give any info as to when it came to the US? (Post WW1, WW2, etc.?), this is a "real" Mauser not a "guild gun" right?.

It has a nice old Weaver K3 with the European post type reticle and the trigger is great, two leaf rear sight, cartridge trap butt, ivory bead (broken).

Any info is appreciated! Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/erbeckerdite/mauser8_zpsce54976e.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd314/erbeckerdite/mauser9_zps3be87a1e.jpg[/img]

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That appears to be a genuine original Mauser sporting carbine, type M. Even with the obvious wear and non-original modifications it's a fine rifle, and I'd love to own it! (I have no idea what the "GERMANY" stamp means, but maybe somebody else does.)

It's pretty easy to get swaging dies to size down .323 bullets if you can find any. There are some .318 bullets on the market, and you can often load .318 bullets in standard 8x57 dies by removing the expander ball.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Eric B Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Thanks - yes I know Buffalo Arms has the 318 bullets and I had already considered swaging 32 Winchester bullets down.

It is a beautiful little gun even if it has been altered.

If anyone has more info - please add!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lovely rifle.

I really like old rifles that have actually been hunted, rather than just stored.

Honest use with decent care does know real harm and lends so much character.

A great old rifle should have some good old stories, even if we never get to hear them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Apologies if this is the wrong forum - please feel free to direct me to a better place."

There is no such thing as a wrong forum for items like that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes,an early "M" style,made for Export,however not English proofed so could be anywhere. There was also a Canadian imported,I forgot their name?
Early American importers were proud to stamp their name on the top of the barrel somewhere.V,L&D G&H A&F
When I get to my office,I'll look it up by serial number.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle! I'm curious about the marking on the left side of the barrel shank, "8,0 N". Would that be a caliber/cartridge indication, or maybe a proof pressure? Can't think of a unit of force or mass/weight of which the measure "8,0" would be significant to a firearm, so it almot has to be caliber or cartridge-related.

I'm speculating that the trap in buttplate is for an oiler and cleaning rod, instead of cartridges.

The rear sight base appears integral with the barrel. How many guns made today are made with that feature? Not many!

That stock is obviously designed for open sight use. I would take that scope and mounts off there and replace the missing staff on the aperture sight in a hot second.

Would the word "Germany" appear like that if the gun were not destined for export?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to German proof laws,any firearm leaving the country had to be marked "Germany" somewhere.Most European countries required a country of origin stamp as well, so the stamp worked for everything.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Going out on limb,

Proofed June 15, 1914?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It could very well be a 100+ year old rifle, I would not mind owning that one myself even If I had to order .318 bullets from Graft's or the Old Western Scrounger.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Eric, that's a nice old rifle.

The J bore 8mm is .318". Many old drillings chambered for the 8X57JR are .318".

Norma made .318" bullets for handloading.

My box of Norma .318" bullets is about empty and I size down .321" bullets to .318" in a die I made.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Going out on limb,

Proofed June 15, 1914?

Negative...that 156.14 means it's a .310 bore

Come on America,

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rifle
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Going out on limb,

Proofed June 15, 1914?

Negative...that 156.14 means it's a .310 bore

That makes more sense to me!

Seriously!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/05/14.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The German Gun collectors.com has a pretty good Intel on proof marks and reading the damn hieroglyphics on these guns...

Come on America,

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They do indeed. The info in older GUN DIGESTS can help as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rifle
The German Gun collectors.com has a pretty good Intel on proof marks and reading the damn hieroglyphics on these guns...

Thanks Rifle. Had that sight in my old phone. But could t remember the name of site to put in my new one.

Founder

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.