Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in a history lesson about the original Ruger M77 barrels. I know that the barrels were supplied by multiple vendors over the years but I do have a question regarding the chambering of these, was this done at the Ruger Factory, or did the vendors do this before shipping the completed barrels to Ruger?

I'd also appreciate some input on opinions as to the chambers themselves being cut on the generous side, and then afforded some freebore like Weatherby does with theirs. My thought is old man Ruger may have done this to keep pressure down as these are hunting rifles & not target guns.

We deal in lead, friend.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why keep the pressure down? The Ruger 77 is a very strong action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

Exactly. Also Ruger never made a m77 "Mark 1". Not exactly sure what he's referring to, unless he means the tang safety Ruger m77? The chambers should not have been cut on the "generous" side either. Manufactures are required to stay within the limits of SAAMI spec. If the chamber is out of spec, that is not a good thing. Also the reason they make no and go gauges to check said chambers.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly. Also Ruger never made a m77 "Mark 1". Not exactly sure what he's referring to, unless he means the tang safety Ruger m77? The chambers should not have been cut on the "generous" side either. Manufactures are required to stay within the limits of SAAMI spec. If the chamber is out of spec, that is not a good thing. Also the reason they make no and go gauges to check said chambers.

Ahh, but SAMMI spec’s usually have 10 thou between minimum and maximum chamber. So if the chamber was 4-6 thou over minimum, I would call that nominal. 7-10 would be generous.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In regards to vendors, Wilson used to supply barrels for Ruger which then Ruger cut the chambers.

Some decades ago, Ruger was chosen to supply the U.S. Palma team with rifles. Ruger made the mistake of tapping Badger for the Palma barrels and they were a disaster. Competitors dumped the rifles and went to their own personal rifles during the match.

Overall Ruger has made some very accurate rifles and still do.

As far as I know they make their own barrels now.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 41rem
I'm interested in a history lesson about the original Ruger M77 barrels. I know that the barrels were supplied by multiple vendors over the years but I do have a question regarding the chambering of these, was this done at the Ruger Factory, or did the vendors do this before shipping the completed barrels to Ruger?

I'd also appreciate some input on opinions as to the chambers themselves being cut on the generous side, and then afforded some freebore like Weatherby does with theirs. My thought is old man Ruger may have done this to keep pressure down as these are hunting rifles & not target guns.

The outsourced barrel vendors were Douglas from 1968 to 1973 and then Wilson from 1973 thru 1990. By 1991, Ruger started producing their own hammer forged barrels. My early 1971 era M77 in 7x57 Mauser with a Douglas barrel has a long throat to accept the then common long 175gr. round nose bullets that were being loaded in factory ammunition at that time. I'm thinking Ruger did the cartridge chambering of all barrels supplied by a outsourced vendor.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yes, and there is one member here who has pictures to demonstrate it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 41rem

Ruger used Wilson barrels on tang-safety 77s until the early 1990s, when they finally started making their own barrels, using hammer-forging machines purchased in Germany.

The Wilson barrels could shoot very well--but also varied considerably. My first tang-safety 77 was a .30-06 that would group it's best loads into less than 2"--at 200 yards.

But also owned a tang-safety 7x57 that would NOT consistently group anything into much less than 3'' at 100 yards. Finally slugged the bore, and found the TIGHT spots in the grooves measured .287"--and there were plenty of loose spots.

Part of the problem, however, was that the chamber throats in some (not all) of the Wilson-barrel 77's (and No. 1s) were VERY long. This also changed about the same time Ruger started hammer-forging their own barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,087
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.