Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had shoulder surgery last Tuesday. Removal of scar tissue, repair of labrum tear & repair of rotator cuff tear.

Before anyone jumps the gun, YES this is making my puzzy hurt!

Now. Have any of you had a shoulder surgery before and if so, how long before the constant throbbing pain goes away?

If I take the oxycodone it numbs it for about a 2 hours but I'm giving up the pain for the almost unbearable itching!

There is just no position that I can be in that relieves this constant throbbing pain.

For those of you that have experienced shoulder surgery, is this to be expected or maybe something went wrong during the surgery and I need to have them reevaluate it?

Once again, it's ok to call me a puzzy or anything else that justifies your manhood, but some serious feedback would also be welcome.

This should be interesting 🤦‍♂️

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ok...you're a puzzy.

Best wishes. Hope you feel better soon and don't get addicted to the oxycodone.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had shoulder surgery about 7 years ago. It is worse now than before the surgery and it was the last time I went to the doctor. I don't remember the throbbing you are describing. Painkillers scare me so I stayed noodled for 3 days using them and booze and then just stopped both. After 3 days I should have been over the worst of it. I do remember that ice was my friend. Lots and lots of ice. I hope you feel better soon.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Not a problem.Yes it hurts. Did you have a pain pump for a nerve block? Usually you have one of those for 48 hours at least after surgery.

Mine went a little further with a full reverse replacement.I have the same problem with opiods.

Tramadol isn't as strong, but it might help. I have had several doctors advise taking 1000 mg of Tylenol and three hours later take 600 mg of Advil. Then in another three hours the 1000 mg of Tylenol.Then another 600 mg of Advil three hours later. So you are taking Tylenol every 6 hours and Advil every six hours. Some times this works better than opiods

Hope you are taking stool softeners along with the oxycodone.

With the scare out there of drug over use,I have found doctors giving less amounts of any opiods and not as much strength.Anything stronger though and the itching will become worse.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
B
i had both my rotator cuffs repaired one in 2005 the other in 2010 never had much pain except alittle after therapy sessions usually took two advils and all was good. don't skip the therapy for your best resaults dave in wyo

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had similar surgery a few years ago...surgeon provided 'ports' into the wound area and two spring loaded 'reservoirs' pinned to my shirt that metered a strong opiate directly into the affected area. When I questioned the necessity of such a radical step, he said, you will be begging me for this about the time your wife drives you home. He warned me prior to surgery, short of burns, this will be the most pain you will ever experience.
He knew his schidt, Olympic Team doctor for 14 years.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
February is your friend. When it finally gets here, you will have most of the problems of discomfort behind you, with a few more months ahead of serious therapy…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Everyone is different. Every surgery is different. But if it doesn't get better after a few days I'd be back at the doctor's office.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beginner
i had both my rotator cuffs repaired one in 2005 the other in 2010 never had much pain except alittle after therapy sessions usually took two advils and all was good. don't skip the therapy for your best resaults dave in wyo
I will try the Advil, they prescribed oxycodone 10mg every 6 hours and 1000mg Tylenol every 6 hours.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I had similar surgery a few years ago...surgeon provided 'ports' into the wound area and two spring loaded 'reservoirs' pinned to my shirt that metered a strong opiate directly into the affected area. When I questioned the necessity of such a radical step, he said, you will be begging me for this about the time your wife drives you home. He warned me prior to surgery, short of burns, this will be the most pain you will ever experience.
He knew his schidt, Olympic Team doctor for 14 years.
No ports. The numbed my whole right side for surgery and around midnight it wore off. Just oxycodone and Tylenol.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 160user
I had shoulder surgery about 7 years ago. It is worse now than before the surgery and it was the last time I went to the doctor. I don't remember the throbbing you are describing. Painkillers scare me so I stayed noodled for 3 days using them and booze and then just stopped both. After 3 days I should have been over the worst of it. I do remember that ice was my friend. Lots and lots of ice. I hope you feel better soon.
I'm not a drinking man anymore but I like the way you think! I just might get me some Captain👍

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
not sure if this pertains to just shoulder surgery.
but shoulder replacement is known to take a lot longer recovery time than either knee or hip replacement..

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not a problem.Yes it hurts. Did you have a pain pump for a nerve block? Usually you have one of those for 48 hours at least after surgery.

Mine went a little further with a full reverse replacement.I have the same problem with opiods.

Tramadol isn't as strong, but it might help. I have had several doctors advise taking 1000 mg of Tylenol and three hours later take 600 mg of Advil. Then in another three hours the 1000 mg of Tylenol.Then another 600 mg of Advil three hours later. So you are taking Tylenol every 6 hours and Advil every six hours. Some times this works better than opiods

Hope you are taking stool softeners along with the oxycodone.

With the scare out there of drug over use,I have found doctors giving less amounts of any opiods and not as much strength.Anything stronger though and the itching will become worse.
When they prescribed me the oxycodone they also prescribed me Narcan for potential overdose.
This was last Tuesday and last night I finally blew the toilet up. It was a relief. Woke up yesterday morning and started drinking nothing but vegetable juice. After 64oz it was time to visit John. I normally do the vegetable juice cleansing once a month anyway!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, opiates will constipate.

I had about the same surgery. How many screws did you get?

Regards

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pat, I have had 5 major shoulder surgeries. They flat out suck. Recovery and pain subsidence has a lot of variables, so one persons experience won't necessarily be like yours. For me the window for the white hot burning pain ranged from 1-3 days. Discomfort will stay with you for weeks. A recliner provides for the very best position of comfort. I slept in mine following each of my surgeries for anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Regards
I think he said 4 anchors for the rotator cuff repair and 5 stitches for the labram.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Pat, I have had 5 major shoulder surgeries. They flat out suck. Recovery and pain subsidence has a lot of variables, so one persons experience won't necessarily be like yours. For me the window for the white hot burning pain ranged from 1-3 days. Discomfort will stay with you for weeks. A recliner provides for the very best position of comfort. I slept in mine following each of my surgeries for anywhere from a week to 3 weeks.

This is good advice.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Regards
I think he said 4 anchors for the rotator cuff repair and 5 stitches for the labram.

I received a couple more.

I would caution against mixing the opiates with alcohol. One thing you DONT want to do is vomit with that sling on etc.

Ymmv

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
After surgery on my rotator cuff I was having a throbbing pain running down my arm that wouldn’t stop. Pain pills only worked for a few hours and then left me hurting for hours waiting to take the next dose. I was desperate and open to help from anything so I let my mom take me to her chiropractor. The chiropractor adjusted my lower neck and it was as if she had lifted a hot iron off my arm. The flood of relief from the pain was almost instant and then the pain kept fading. Chiropractor said it was common for post operation patients to get a nerve pinched in surgery because sometimes they need to position your body in awkward ways so the surgeon can get a good angle to work at and when you are completely limp under anesthesia it’s easy for the spine to move and pinch a nerve.

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Several years ago I bought an adjustable bed due to chronic back pain. I have tried every position available to no avail. I think the older I'm getting the bigger my puzzy is!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.