Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
Get rid of tenure. A teacher should be able to be fired easier if they are not good at their job.

Tenure only means they have to tell you WHY you are being fired.

It's very easy to get rid of a teacher. You are untenured the 1st 3 years in any school system. If you move to another system the 3 year probation period starts over. During that 3 year period they can walk in and tell you to clean out your desk at any time for any reason or even no reason. And they don't have to give a reason, in fact they won't give a reason. It might simply be because the chairman of the board's daughter graduated from college, and they need to make a spot for her. I've seen that happen.

After you get tenure, they have to tell you why and be able to show documentation that you're not doing your job in court if the teacher fights it. I've seen a lot of them lose their job. It's easy to get bad teachers out if the administrators document the issues.

Reduction in Force.

If the job you do is no longer needed due to lower enrollment numbers or phasing out what you do even tenured teachers are let go. The year I retried our school was going to lose 1 teaching slot. I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to work one more year or not. Had I stayed they would have let the Art teacher go and done away with the Art Department. That made my decision a little easier.

Some type of shop classes would be HUGE. In fact, that is what I taught the 1st half of my career. They did away with it in the high schools. Kids who wanted to specialize in an area went to regular high schools 1/2 day then the VoTech school 1/2 day. They concentrated in one area and were job ready when they graduated.

That's not what I did. It was basic woodworking, basic metalworking and drafting. It was meant for kids to learn the basics of safely using tools and machines. Some went on to become skilled craftsmen, but most were college prep kids or regular ed kids who learned some skills that helped them later in life. We phased that out 20 years ago and I have former students approach me quite often and tell me how much my class helped them with basic home repair.

If nothing else they learned how to read a ruler down to 1/32". Most kids today have no idea what those lines are for between the big numbers.

Fired many non-Caucasian women over 50 have you?

GB4

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of you fuggers have no idea, what do you wanna do with the [bleep] bag parents.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Some of you fuggers have no idea, what do you wanna do with the [bleep] bag parents.
Therein is the real problem and the school can't fix that one.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Jim1611

Yep. I get a kick out of listening to politicians rant about kicking azz on the schools to improve. The pink elephant in the room is the pos parents that produce a kid that is unable to conduct themselves in a classroom setting. The teachers are shot out of the saddle due to kids that can’t be taught. Take some time to talk to teachers about their experiences today. It will disgust you. That’s why I stated earlier that problem kids need to be removed from the classrooms.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
100% true, everybody wants to hang the teachers and administrators. What about the parents who send there kids to school hungry, dirty. No shower or bath for days because they spent all there money on drugs or alcohol.
Passed out in the morning from an all night bender or 3 dayer so kids aren't in school, think I'm B.S you? Theres alot more of that out there than the vast majority realize.
Is there problems Hell ya there is, is there bad teachers and administrators hell ya there is but untill it starts at home its not gonna get any better.
For every bad teacher or administrator theres 5 [bleep] bag parents.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/11/24.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Yep. I get a kick out of listening to politicians rant about kicking azz on the schools to improve. The pink elephant in the room is the pos parents that produce a kid that is unable to conduct themselves in a classroom setting. The teachers are shot out of the saddle due to kids that can’t be taught. Take some time to talk to teachers about their experiences today. It will disgust you. That’s why I stated earlier that problem kids need to be removed from the classrooms.

The root of it all has been the purposeful destruction of the family unit and enabling "parents" to live in such a way as to require constant taxpayer funded aid like welfare and foodstamps, etc. If these idiots had to get up every day and actually work for a living instead of having someone else pay their way through life we'd all be better off.

The way kids behave in school can't really be managed by the teachers anymore. Back in the day you got your butt busted and not allowed to get away with being bad. BUT after hearing what some of these teachers are doing in public schools I'm appalled. The grandson was talking about the foul language being used all the time and I asked if the teachers did anything about it. He told me the teachers cuss just as much. I asked one of the school board members about this and they were all aware but nothing gets done. When I went to school the teachers had good conduct. It seems not the case now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
welding, auto mechanics, and wood shop like we had in high school.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That would be a good start, Roger

My son is in middle school and has an interest in learning the trades. One "shop" class won't even let them use power tools

Last edited by Dude270; 04/11/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
welding, auto mechanics, and wood shop like we had in high school.
Amen! Shop class of any kind is where I could really shine in school and even at my age those classes are still helping me in life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We used to yell obscenities behind the shop teach’s back when he fired up the Powermatic planer. Somebitch was louder than an F-16. LOL

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

The root of it all has been the purposeful destruction of the family unit and enabling "parents" to live in such a way as to require constant taxpayer funded aid like welfare and foodstamps, etc. If these idiots had to get up every day and actually work for a living instead of having someone else pay their way through life we'd all be better off.

The way kids behave in school can't really be managed by the teachers anymore. Back in the day you got your butt busted and not allowed to get away with being bad. BUT after hearing what some of these teachers are doing in public schools I'm appalled. The grandson was talking about the foul language being used all the time and I asked if the teachers did anything about it. He told me the teachers cuss just as much. I asked one of the school board members about this and they were all aware but nothing gets done. When I went to school the teachers had good conduct. It seems not the case now.
I'm not defending all the teachers but all you hear about is the bad ones hardly ever the good ones.
Havre avg about 2 teacher assaults a year. 2 years ago a teacher was sent to the hospital for being assaulted by a 8th grade male student not a word in the local paper but I guarantee you the other way around national news.
In my 18 years in school I cant remember 1 teacher being assaulted or even hearing about one in other schools in the area.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/11/24.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Kid is an àsshole in class...so he gets sent to principal office.

Principal gets cussed out by little àssholes mother...principal throws teacher under the bus to calm her down.

Teacher can't get any support from admin...so fugg it. Àssholes end up running the classroom.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
We used to yell obscenities behind the shop teach’s back when he fired up the Powermatic planer. Somebitch was louder than an F-16. LOL

Good times

A
Alan_C Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Kid is an àsshole in class...so he gets sent to principal office.

Principal gets cussed out by little àssholes mother...principal throws teacher under the bus to calm her down.

Teacher can't get any support from admin...so fugg it. Àssholes end up running the classroom.
There needs to be cameras in the classroom. When the kid screws up a second time, Detention for both kid and parents.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The kids' peers make much better enforcers of the rules that either parents, cops, or school administrators. When a bunch of tools came up missing I padlocked the auto shop bay doors for a week and stopped work on all the students' pet projects. There was a lecture one day, and a test the next- - - -repeatedly. The two guys who were building a high performance engine for their drag race car "found" the missing tools and a couple of other kids showed up with lots of bruises and road rash on their faces. Problem solved!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Open curriculum. Most parents don't realize the poison being propagated by the commie teachers. They hate your children and they despise the "white patriarchy."

You have to take control. Pull them out of public school. If not, hold the commies responsible. Parents first schoold board members.

Yes the unions have to go.
The young commie teachers coming out of progressive education departments of the university have to go.
The administrators who care about funding based on standardized testing have to go.

And I live in the Bible belt. I can't imagine what those of you who live in blue states deal with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stop treating school as daycare and social programming. Spend the day teaching math, science, computer science, government, logic/critical thinking skills, world history, American history, reading and writing.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
School uniforms.

Different schools for the boys, and girls.

Let the old catholic nuns run it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
[quote]Get rid of tenure. A teacher should be able to be fired easier if they are not good at their job.

Tenure only means they have to tell you WHY you are being fired.

It's very easy to get rid of a teacher.

It's not very easy, actually. The measure of "why" has changed greatly from when we were young. And you don't just have to say why - you have to convince the court that the "why" deserves termination. Years ago, I saw $30K spent on lawyers trying to get rid of a terrible teacher, by many measures, and the District lost it's case because what is acceptable to the Unions is far beyond what's acceptable to the common adult. That would easily be $70K in today's costs. And it's certainly more difficult today.

And it's not just teachers. I had volumes of documentation on a support person who desperately needed to be somewhere else and it took the 3rd superintendent to allow me to move forward. Even the school solicitor was hesitant, not because of the case, but because he was afraid of the implications of firing a school employee in the public's eye. When the Board President saw the evidence during the hearing, the case ended very quickly and she was finally gone, but it took nearly 10 years.

Tenure has its merits, but should not be as powerful as it is. A good teacher today can easily show the data to support staying in the profession.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.